[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

@BenjiDan:

You're running out of memory. 32-bit processes, including KSP for Mac, are limited to about 3.5 GB of RAM, but Activity Monitor seems to underreport total memory usage. Try Active Texture Managment or increasing it's scale setting. Thanks for adding the Player.log error (from Console) – that's the only useful log.

@kormer:

Docking directly using IR parts is not supported and can destroy your ships. Any IR part that moves a docking port can cause this issue.

One way to get a similar effect in game is to use KAS magnets: grab the target with a magnetic arm (which doesn't dock) and then move the ship into position to dock.

Thanks, I think you're right about the magnets.

@BenjiDan:

You're running out of memory. 32-bit processes, including KSP for Mac, are limited to about 3.5 GB of RAM, but Activity Monitor seems to underreport total memory usage. Try Active Texture Managment or increasing it's scale setting. Thanks for adding the Player.log error (from Console) – that's the only useful log.

Tao,

I know I'm running out of memory, and I am running ATM (stock, since I haven't looked into changing it). Even with ATM, it still crashes, but only when I have the servo config window open. When what I've built is configured and the config window is closed, things are good. Does the config window somehow use more RAM?

Does the config window somehow use more RAM?

Yes, by necessity. Though you must be running very close to the limit for that to trigger the hang.

There's probably something more going on here, but it has little to nothing to do with Infernal Robotics. Please post the information in the How to Get Support sticky – make a new post in the Support (modded installs) forum.

Yes, by necessity. Though you must be running very close to the limit for that to trigger the hang.

There's probably something more going on here, but it has little to nothing to do with Infernal Robotics. Please post the information in the How to Get Support sticky – make a new post in the Support (modded installs) forum.

Yeah, sadly I'm experiencing the same thing :(

I was building a utility enhancer space backpack of sorts (pictured below) and I got the same thing, except in my case (not sure if this is thanks to Windows 8.1) Windows threw me a warning about memory, though I only noticed it after the game had crashed. Sadly I don't have a screenshot of the memory warning and error as I -thought- I had taken a screencrap but apparently it didn't save.

Backpack:

---------------------

5DE93FA491C7D34B68B1B1E0240F2F36C0D5F4F1

---------------------

C2F5F13F9C457E3DE3316561FB25FFD2D235105F

---------------------

C5BD79B0304CC776DD8FEF75504243B1BED162C0

---------------------

(Not sure what's up with the craft's cost being in Negative lol, I think it's an affect of using the TweakScale mod for most of the parts)

The craft has a total of: 2 Rails, 4 Rotators, 4 180º Hinges and 2 Pistons.

If anyone does need the error message or anything do let me know, I can go in and force this thing to happen again just by loading the craft D: (after waiting for a little bit, it's not instantaneous I don't think).

P.S.: I do have a lot of mods installed but I'm running ATM (Basic version, I'm worried aggressive will make buttons blurry) and have some in-game settings lowered, as well as running the game with OpenGL. This crash or memory issue doesn't happen when playing with anything else no matter how long my KSP session, just seems to me that I.R. is using a TON of memory D:

Running KSP 0.25 x86.

P.S.2: Forgot to mention I love this mod so much lol. It's one of those mods every time I pick KSP back up after an update it's first on my list of "must have mods" because I'm always trying to build functional, useful monstrosities lol. So just in case I didn't make it come across clear enough...

Thank you so much for the mod and your time! I wouldn't be so sad about the memory issue if I didn't love this mod so hard :P

Edited by MonaBabii
Extra Info.

I'd like to see a log file. these memory issues is something unheard of until now so I'd like to see what is going on. Also list the mods you use.

Thanks for the reply :) Okay so, after posting here, I went back to KSP, reduced the render quality just a tad more (to good, middle setting I believe), and then went to install the "Aggressive" version of ATM (was using Basic). It seems everything is good now! Apparently ATM Basic is not enough if you have a lot of mods installed. Using the Aggressive model and after playing with that same creation for quite a bit my RAM usage was only at 2GB, whereas before it was enough to make my game crash, so, success :D!

I'll leave the album of that little utility backpack creation below:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And thanks a lot again for the mod! Can't imagine having as much fun in KSP without it :)

P.S.: +sirkut If I ever experience the same problem again even with ATM Aggressive installed you can count on me coming back with my log :P

Edited by MonaBabii

I can't seem to get limiters on rotatrons and the docking hinges to work. I set a limit to -90* and it just goes right past it.

You need to right click on the part and actually turn the limits "ON", which are off by default.

I'm having some trouble setting movement limits wrt the rotatrons. Here's a shot of my vessel:

2014-11-03_00003_zps2e3c34e1.jpg

It's a science rover, and I'm trying to put wheels on the ends of those trusses both to widen the wheelbase and to make sure the wheels can reach the ground without mussing up my center of mass for the trip over to the body (I haven't unlocked the big wheels yet). I have figured out how to set each rotatron to respect limits in the first place (the [starboard] rotatron on the left in the picture has hit +90, the [port] one on the right has hit -30), and I have figured out how to make the port rotatron rotate "backwards" (that is, the "right" movement button applies negative rotation, and the movement button moves both rotatrons in the correct direction at the same time).

What's the problem here is I'm trying to set the starboard one to run from -30 to +90, and the port one from +30 to -90 (that is, they'll start above horizontal, then rotate together downwards to vertical). Unfortunately, when I try to apply the limits in the servo configuration, it appears to let me set separate limits for each rotatron, but once I open the position editor on one of them, it applies the same limits to both of them based on which servo I selected in the position editor (they go from -30 to 90 and 90 to -30). Since positive rotation (and therefore positive limits) is always right-hand rotation, one of my rotatrons is therefore off.

I think I could make it work by placing the servos individually rather than using symmetry mode, but I've got a bunch of wheels to place further down the struts and I'd like to not have to place them all individually. I have these two to do, plus I have to do the same thing for gear at the aft end of the vessel. Lots of room for error, and symmetry would help immensely.

But I think the real fix is in how the rotations are defined - it appears that "invert axis" tells the part to invert the command rotation (so the "right" command makes it move "left"), but if there were a way to say "this is a left handed part" then both the rotation direction and the applied limits could be set correctly in symmetric parts. A flag in the "invert axis" selector to tell you which sense the servo is moving in would be helpful too.

A bit long-winded for a feature request, but there you go. Not having the same problems with the hinges, but I can see where you could have similar problems with certain hinges used a certain way.

I'm having some trouble setting movement limits wrt the rotatrons. Here's a shot of my vessel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/pincushionman/ksp/robotics/2014-11-03_00003_zps2e3c34e1.jpg

It's a science rover, and I'm trying to put wheels on the ends of those trusses both to widen the wheelbase and to make sure the wheels can reach the ground without mussing up my center of mass for the trip over to the body (I haven't unlocked the big wheels yet). I have figured out how to set each rotatron to respect limits in the first place (the [starboard] rotatron on the left in the picture has hit +90, the [port] one on the right has hit -30), and I have figured out how to make the port rotatron rotate "backwards" (that is, the "right" movement button applies negative rotation, and the movement button moves both rotatrons in the correct direction at the same time).

What's the problem here is I'm trying to set the starboard one to run from -30 to +90, and the port one from +30 to -90 (that is, they'll start above horizontal, then rotate together downwards to vertical). Unfortunately, when I try to apply the limits in the servo configuration, it appears to let me set separate limits for each rotatron, but once I open the position editor on one of them, it applies the same limits to both of them based on which servo I selected in the position editor (they go from -30 to 90 and 90 to -30). Since positive rotation (and therefore positive limits) is always right-hand rotation, one of my rotatrons is therefore off.

I think I could make it work by placing the servos individually rather than using symmetry mode, but I've got a bunch of wheels to place further down the struts and I'd like to not have to place them all individually. I have these two to do, plus I have to do the same thing for gear at the aft end of the vessel. Lots of room for error, and symmetry would help immensely.

But I think the real fix is in how the rotations are defined - it appears that "invert axis" tells the part to invert the command rotation (so the "right" command makes it move "left"), but if there were a way to say "this is a left handed part" then both the rotation direction and the applied limits could be set correctly in symmetric parts. A flag in the "invert axis" selector to tell you which sense the servo is moving in would be helpful too.

A bit long-winded for a feature request, but there you go. Not having the same problems with the hinges, but I can see where you could have similar problems with certain hinges used a certain way.

Symmetry has been an issue when trying to set individual ranges. I suggest using the mod part wizard and stripping the symmetry after you have placed it. Then you can assign each range individually.

My game is crashing when I try to revert to hangar while using a docking washer standard (free spinning) when it has been scaled to large. I have not tried it while under-sizing.

Has anyone else come across this?

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I did try a few searches and the closest thing I found was just crashing when reverting to hangar. Mine only does it under this specific circumstance. I have found it to be 100% repeatable in my case.

Symmetry has been an issue when trying to set individual ranges. I suggest using the mod part wizard and stripping the symmetry after you have placed it. Then you can assign each range individually.

Thanks for the reply, sirkut. Oh, I apologize, I missed the "invert axis on/off" flag that was in there, so part of my complaint was unfounded. And I'll try that "part wizard" mod you suggested.

I'm also crashing when going back to the hanger when using gantrys

Which is my other issue - I'm having what I belive was the base creep? When moving the gantry one of the "legs" (the one last connected to that gantry) will move with it. This occurs with both rails at all orientation, both in the VAB, SPH, and in flight.

If it helps all of the nodes moving seems to be the issue

Edited by AlphaSpartan

Guys, I need output_log.txt files in order to offer help. Telling me that something crashes doesn't help me because:

1. I can't produce it from just your description

2. Other people (14,000+ downloads) and I'm just now seeing "x part" causes a crash so I'm fairly skeptical that it's IR.

Lastly, yes there is base creep. it's a bug that I haven't figured out how to fix yet. If this is bothersome, go back to the old method of going to the launch pad to test your craft. Sounds crazy right? Imagine just a few months ago moving parts in the VAB wasn't even possible.

I forgot to upload them sorry - here's the two crash out put files from both my returning to SPH/VAB crashes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A0xdBJ8O6JaVJuLVZaSkFYa1E/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A0xdBJ8O6JeUZtaTFTTTBIOEE/view?usp=sharing

And with the creep, when i said whilst flying i meant whilst on the launch pad (sorry had a long day)

I do run a Mod intensive KSP so i'm going to try stock with IR in hopes it works - i love this mod so ill ditch anything if need be.

Edit: sadly no difference so Ill just stick to making cranes for now. But even still, definitely one of the best mods going

Edited by AlphaSpartan
later info

I forgot to upload them sorry - here's the two crash out put files from both my returning to SPH/VAB crashes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A0xdBJ8O6JaVJuLVZaSkFYa1E/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A0xdBJ8O6JeUZtaTFTTTBIOEE/view?usp=sharing

And with the creep, when i said whilst flying i meant whilst on the launch pad (sorry had a long day)

I do run a Mod intensive KSP so i'm going to try stock with IR in hopes it works - i love this mod so ill ditch anything if need be.

Edit: sadly no difference so Ill just stick to making cranes for now. But even still, definitely one of the best mods going

Thanks for the logs. I do see that there are a LOT of errors involving Snacks

Snacks - FixedUpdate: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at Planetarium.GetUniversalTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Also each time it crashes from both logs I see this line:

Tac.EditorController[FFF8793C][840.84]: Start

While I'm not one to blame other mods just yet, try removing that mod and see if you get a crash. I'm just not sure how IR would be causing it.

I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb - a DLL (not IR) was causing a conflict with snacks and TAC DLL. I'm red in colour but can also be green,

I'm used in drinks but cannot be seen,

I can be sharp but also sweet,

I change colour if added to heat. The DLL has been removed and its all good - thanks.

Oh, and keep up the good work with the mods!

It sounds like the CompoundPart system in 0.9 could have useful implications for robotics. Substructures attached to the parent on a free hinge, then telescoping struts to wherever you like.

Hey sirkut! Quick question about the plugin. I want free moving rotatrons with limits, is that possible? I tried editing the part config, adding:

rotateLimits = False

limitTweakable = True

rotateMin = -360.0

rotateMax = 360.0

to the uncontrolled rotatron. That gave me a "rotate limits on/off" tweakable toggle that does nothing. Is there another way? Using the "jointSpring" and "jointDamping" fields maybe? Care to elaborate on how those work?

Cheers!

With the changes to CompoundPart mentioned in the dev notes, would it be possible to have a piston that attaches like a strut? It could make controlling the same structure with multiple pistons easier, especially if it could function as if having a ball joint on both ends.

With the changes to CompoundPart mentioned in the dev notes, would it be possible to have a piston that attaches like a strut? It could make controlling the same structure with multiple pistons easier, especially if it could function as if having a ball joint on both ends.

How would I know until it's released? There's no telling how any of it will be. :) My gut tells me it won't be what you are expecting but we will have I wait until it's released for me to mess with it.

As for free moving rotatrons with limits. No, that's not available. I haven't figured out how in the code to prevent it from moving when it hits the limits.

Good day sirkut!

I've been thinking about the wobbliness of the IR joints, when using them to make variable geometry wings, and how I have to use quantum struts to fix them. In my complete ignorance, I though... would it be possible to use the code of the quantum struts to force some kind of infinite strength on the IR parts?

Just an idea, I wish I knew how to program!

Good day sirkut!

I've been thinking about the wobbliness of the IR joints, when using them to make variable geometry wings, and how I have to use quantum struts to fix them. In my complete ignorance, I though... would it be possible to use the code of the quantum struts to force some kind of infinite strength on the IR parts?

Just an idea, I wish I knew how to program!

It's the inherent nature of joints in unity and there isn't much that can be done.

If it interests anyone else, I made a set of MM configs to generate truly enormous IR parts that at least APPEAR to function normally. They are 8x scale versions of most rework parts, 4x scale athlete parts, and just the gantries from the non-rework part sets. Here's a link to an archive with the configs. For some reason, it did not work to put all of that stuff in one CFG, it would only duplicate the first part name listed in the CFG. Go figure.

Since they start at 8x scale, it means they can be reduced in size to 4x and 2x too - and possibly still function!

Suggestions welcome on how to make the cfgs better and whether or not the parts function fully as the cfgs are written - I notice some weirdness, but most seem OK...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/MegaRoboticsParts.zip

If I could make one suggestion for future versions of IR, though, I would ask that TweakScale modules never be included in part CFG files themselves - way, way easier to tinker with TS scales/values/whatever when they're all in an MM cfg.

Cheers!

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

We are working on it :)

Took a longer look at the code and method. It's very good, I can see how this will be a boon.

I'm really intrigued with the possibilities offered by the laser distance device.

Obviously we could use it as a proximity sensor.

I wonder if a small array could give us an effective horizon detection and perhaps a bit of forward vision...

Will the device measure the distance between parts on the same craft?

P