[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Could we get that build of the dll? I now want to try a gyrocopter that isn't rocket powered, (Actually, a washer/spinning engine with rotation tied to the throttle would be pretty damn neat, especially if it didn't add any non-rotational inertia on it's own. I'd love to make a rover/catapult that could be used to fling some payload.) On that note, once we get that servo speed control, I think a launch catapult for small gliders could be build surprisingly easily.

I personally wouldn't, but it's up to Sirkut as it's his code. The models themselves are literally a day or two away, it won't be long.

I personally wouldn't, but it's up to Sirkut as it's his code. The models themselves are literally a day or two away, it won't be long.

I await the next release eagerly, I'm sure Jebediah would be thrilled to be able to skip the runway takeoff/taxi phase of spaceplane launch. I mean, how hard could it be to make a system of rails into a spaceplane launcher? (Answer: stupidly easy. It seems the hard part is letting go of said plane.)

My contribution to 101 uses for rails

NIPInSpaceRear.jpg

With only 3.8k of fuel and the capacity to carry around 58k of Kethane the centre of mass of this ship, which is already asymmetrical, changes quite considerably between near empty and fully loaded. The solution? Vary the centre of thrust by mounting the engines on rails :)

The most critical part of the build turned out to be ensuring the engines don't wobble under thrust, I now have it x4 physical warp stable (1). Varying the engine height is a manual process based on guess work, but it works very well. If only there were some way to have a part on the rail that dynamically sensed the CoM and the rail adjusted accordingly... I may look into this.

The rails themselves are quite beautiful, the detail of the dove tails - love it :)

(1) Have you seen what x4 does to engine thrust and the effect this has on the vessel? Ouch!

Impressive use of the adj rails! Thanks for the comments on the dovetail. It's my first real model released with Devo doing the artwork magic.

I await the next release eagerly, I'm sure Jebediah would be thrilled to be able to skip the runway takeoff/taxi phase of spaceplane launch. I mean, how hard could it be to make a system of rails into a spaceplane launcher? (Answer: stupidly easy. It seems the hard part is letting go of said plane.)

I'm with Devo on this. I'm not ready to release the plugin just yet. Plus I may find something I want to add so who knows. :)

There is a sane limit on the speed adjustment. If you go too high (like 10000) physics gets pretty funny. Rails they just pop off and send the pod i attached to it up in the air but the rails still seems to be connected. A rotatron at that speed just spins off and falls straight down. I nearly choke on my water when I did that one. I thought about setting limits for the speed but I think I'll leave it alone so everyone can have some fun.

If we were any good at modding I'd say me and viper should form Wolf Pack Industries.....lol

LOL Ive been laughing for 5 mins, my jaw hurts. I wish i could mod, but im to OCD about things i work on. i would spend way to much time on something like that. Plus i really dont have the talent like Sirkut and Devo.

Gristle that was awesome by the way.

I was thinking about posting my craft builds on spaceport, i get alot of PMs requesting them. But again, im never finished with them. and then these guys put another mod out to make everything better. So i have to go back and redo everything hehe

LOL Ive been laughing for 5 mins, my jaw hurts. I wish i could mod, but im to OCD about things i work on. i would spend way to much time on something like that. Plus i really dont have the talent like Sirkut and Devo.

Gristle that was awesome by the way.

I was thinking about posting my craft builds on spaceport, i get alot of PMs requesting them. But again, im never finished with them. and then these guys put another mod out to make everything better. So i have to go back and redo everything hehe

Talent like me? Pfft. So far my work has really been in the coding side of things. Infernal Robotics and the Animator plugin is where I've done most of the work. My modeling skills are only going on roughly 2 months of learning. Devo on the other hand is a pure badass and I'm just glad he joined. Without him MSI would have great plugins but ultra crappy models/artwork.

Just want to express my gratitude for the Docking Washers - OCD has been hitting me hard until now! Thanks so much - though I do still wish there was a lightweight mod that restricts docking to certain rotations.

Hi.

I don't know if its just me and I'm not installing this correctly or my system conflicting with this mod plugin. I'm suffering from constant crashes whenever I try to have this mod loaded, Kerbal becoming so unstable that the process will run for about 5minutes and then it would crash to the desktop without any warning. From what I've read I have not seen anyone else with the problem.

The mods I'm running before I install this (stable) are:

Romfarer Lazor System

Aviation Lights

Deep Space Mission Pack

FireSpitter

KAS

Fustech Station Parts

Chatterer

HyperEdit

MechJeb2

B9 Aerospace Pack R3

HL Airships

NovaPunch

Basic System Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1

Intel Core I7-3930K

NVidia Geforce GTX 680

Hi.

I don't know if its just me and I'm not installing this correctly or my system conflicting with this mod plugin. I'm suffering from constant crashes whenever I try to have this mod loaded, Kerbal becoming so unstable that the process will run for about 5minutes and then it would crash to the desktop without any warning. From what I've read I have not seen anyone else with the problem.

Romfarer Lazor System

Aviation Lights

Deep Space Mission Pack

FireSpitter

KAS

Fustech Station Parts

Chatterer

HyperEdit

MechJeb2

B9 Aerospace Pack R3

HL Airships

NovaPunch

Basic System Specs:

Intel Core I7-3930K

NVidia Geforce GTX 680

My experience has been the rusted mods usually crash my system, but I dunno, hyper edit is also notoriously unstable

Hi.

Romfarer Lazor System

Aviation Lights

Deep Space Mission Pack

FireSpitter

KAS

Fustech Station Parts

Chatterer

HyperEdit

MechJeb2

B9 Aerospace Pack R3

HL Airships

NovaPunch

Basic System Specs:

Intel Core I7-3930K

NVidia Geforce GTX 680

Are you using the old infernal robotics that was just the dll that I didn't create? One person was having issues and what they did was redownload my plugin that contains the docking washers and they we're good to go.

If that doesn't work I'd like to see the log file.

Ah it was the .dll - strange thing is I only downloaded the mod yesterday! I also done a complete clean install of Kerbal and download just incase. Its working absolutely fine now!

Ah it was the .dll - strange thing is I only downloaded the mod yesterday! I also done a complete clean install of Kerbal and download just incase. Its working absolutely fine now!

Great! Glad to hear it's working.

When you make new versions of Damned's hinges, please also add small version :). I've been trying to make a folding platform for a tiny rover to drive off of, but the huge hinge part makes it look unsightly. Being able to configure starting angle from VAB would be great too.

When you make new versions of Damned's hinges, please also add small version :). I've been trying to make a folding platform for a tiny rover to drive off of, but the huge hinge part makes it look unsightly. Being able to configure starting angle from VAB would be great too.

I will be making probe sized parts too so don't worry. They will probably mirror the standard parts we have in our new pack.

I've been holding out on using moving parts, but I more and more want to have a utility rover (with a movable arm) and a way to have satellites and station parts be foldable for launch, so I'm keeping a close eye on the development here.

I did want to add a bit to the discussion though, can't hurt after all ;)

Since one of my main applications would be making structures that unfold after launch, the ability to adjust the angle in the VAB/SPH would be quite important. I like the way it's done by Procedural Fairings (for example), where you hover the mouse over the part so it lights up and then press a modifier key. Moving the mouse (right/left) with the modifier pressed adjusts the corresponding property, like holding "r" will adjust the radius of the generated fairings when the mouse if moved left/right.

For applications like this, the parts are really moved only once (to be deployed in orbit). Will it be possible to set an action group to turn/move a specific part to a preset angle/position? This would also allow to basically deploy, repackage and redeploy with a single key press in case a base should be moved.

Expanding on that, will it be possible to basically group multiple parts, so they can all be moved at once? An advanced version of this would be to allow the specification of a multiplier for each member in a group, so that one turns at half the speed (multiplier 0.5) or in the other direction (multiplier -1). If parts could be members of multiple control groups, that would be even better.

I might have to give the DR parts a go to get a better impression of what is already possible with those, but I'm very much looking forward to the new pack! So thank you already for the time and effort put in!

Creat - You mean make something like this ...

KSP_MiningRover2_zps4b2cd14b.png

... ?

Its a lot of fun, I spent hours just messing about with it and I even managed to get my updated version to the Mun.

I slapped on the Lazor mod and the Lazor Mod Camera mod (a little extra mod you can add to the Lazor mod), so I can have camera boxes inside the IVA of the lander can and can control nearly everything from IVA.

The old DR parts are a bit odd to use but they are old so its understandable, and they still work fine with the IR Plugin as long as you 'fix' the files as described by sirkut.

I've been holding out on using moving parts, but I more and more want to have a utility rover (with a movable arm) and a way to have satellites and station parts be foldable for launch, so I'm keeping a close eye on the development here.

I did want to add a bit to the discussion though, can't hurt after all ;)

Since one of my main applications would be making structures that unfold after launch, the ability to adjust the angle in the VAB/SPH would be quite important. I like the way it's done by Procedural Fairings (for example), where you hover the mouse over the part so it lights up and then press a modifier key. Moving the mouse (right/left) with the modifier pressed adjusts the corresponding property, like holding "r" will adjust the radius of the generated fairings when the mouse if moved left/right.

For applications like this, the parts are really moved only once (to be deployed in orbit). Will it be possible to set an action group to turn/move a specific part to a preset angle/position? This would also allow to basically deploy, repackage and redeploy with a single key press in case a base should be moved.

Expanding on that, will it be possible to basically group multiple parts, so they can all be moved at once? An advanced version of this would be to allow the specification of a multiplier for each member in a group, so that one turns at half the speed (multiplier 0.5) or in the other direction (multiplier -1). If parts could be members of multiple control groups, that would be even better.

I might have to give the DR parts a go to get a better impression of what is already possible with those, but I'm very much looking forward to the new pack! So thank you already for the time and effort put in!

The next update will have a speed modifier in the GUI. And sound support. Check the videos in a few posts back. :)

The procedural method is out of my league at the moment so just making parts will have to work for now.

The next update will have a speed modifier in the GUI. And sound support. Check the videos in a few posts back. :)

The procedural method is out of my league at the moment so just making parts will have to work for now.

Yes I've seen the video, that's part of what gave me the idea. Let me be a bit clearer in my description of what I mean: I'm asking about the ability to group multiple objects together so they are all controlled by a single input. To stick with the craft in the video, it has 4 linear actuators. Is it or will it be possible to group them together so that I can move them simultaneously with a single click of the '<' or '>' in the Servo Control, probably in a line named "control group 1" or something (preferable editable upon creation). Just to simplify things like lifting mechanisms and could also deploy the wheels of the cube-thing with a single (symmetric!) motion (referring to another video posted a couple of pages earlier).

Now what I intended with the speed modifier in regards to groups: If I can create a group that contains those 4 linear actuators as before and I can change the speed specific to the operation via this group, this would be even better. It would allow us to create more complex systems that allow for complex motions with simple controls.

I'll try to illustrate with an example: Imagine you have a vehicle of some kind that has a arm to grab stuff (via KAS or something). It is mounted on the vehicle with the arm pointing forward, the arm can rotate (swivel) left and right and so can the gripper (or hook, for lack of a better term) attached to the end. Now you could have a group with these two joints, one with a speed of "1" and one with a speed of -1. Using this group to control the two would now have the effect that the hook just shifts left and right without changing it's orientation. This is a rather trivial example since it takes a lot of effort and words to convey such a simple concept without a drawing or model, but I'll gladly provide more complex examples (wither with an illustration or screenshot created with DR parts) to hopefully convince you of the usefulness of such a feature. Please not that for this to work, it is quite important that a) the speed multiplier for this is specific to the control group and B) a servo can be part of multiple control groups (as well as operated manually/directly).

As I mentioned, I have no idea if simple grouping is already possible - or even having servos in multiple groups, and/or how hard it would be to allow for those individual speed modifiers. Still, thanks for reading my rather long text :)

Yes I've seen the video, that's part of what gave me the idea. Let me be a bit clearer in my description of what I mean: I'm asking about the ability to group multiple objects together so they are all controlled by a single input. To stick with the craft in the video, it has 4 linear actuators. Is it or will it be possible to group them together so that I can move them simultaneously with a single click of the '<' or '>' in the Servo Control, probably in a line named "control group 1" or something (preferable editable upon creation). Just to simplify things like lifting mechanisms and could also deploy the wheels of the cube-thing with a single (symmetric!) motion (referring to another video posted a couple of pages earlier).

Now what I intended with the speed modifier in regards to groups: If I can create a group that contains those 4 linear actuators as before and I can change the speed specific to the operation via this group, this would be even better. It would allow us to create more complex systems that allow for complex motions with simple controls.

I'll try to illustrate with an example: Imagine you have a vehicle of some kind that has a arm to grab stuff (via KAS or something). It is mounted on the vehicle with the arm pointing forward, the arm can rotate (swivel) left and right and so can the gripper (or hook, for lack of a better term) attached to the end. Now you could have a group with these two joints, one with a speed of "1" and one with a speed of -1. Using this group to control the two would now have the effect that the hook just shifts left and right without changing it's orientation. This is a rather trivial example since it takes a lot of effort and words to convey such a simple concept without a drawing or model, but I'll gladly provide more complex examples (wither with an illustration or screenshot created with DR parts) to hopefully convince you of the usefulness of such a feature. Please not that for this to work, it is quite important that a) the speed multiplier for this is specific to the control group and B) a servo can be part of multiple control groups (as well as operated manually/directly).

As I mentioned, I have no idea if simple grouping is already possible - or even having servos in multiple groups, and/or how hard it would be to allow for those individual speed modifiers. Still, thanks for reading my rather long text :)

Have you ever used Damned Robotics (now Infernal Robotics) recently? It already has grouping implemented and that was before I created a fork of the original. In that video I was merely showing how each separate item can have it's own control speed when not grouped.

Here's a video where they are all grouped together to form a function.

Here's how you do grouping.

I can provide individual speed control for each component in a group but I found that may be too confusing for the user and that would be a support nightmare. For now, one speed controls all within a group.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Can't WAIT to have variable speeds for my robotics! Any chance you could contact the author of the DROMOMAN robotic arms pack and help him add that to his mod as well?
Dromoman already works with this. I'm using it right now.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Can't WAIT to have variable speeds for my robotics! Any chance you could contact the author of the DROMOMAN robotic arms pack and help him add that to his mod as well?

His is just a parts pack that uses Infernal Robotics plugin. It works out of the "box." In the next update, if he wishes to, he can add sounds to his arm pack.