[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I know Damned Robotics had issues when loading ships (if I recall correctly, the joints would reset?). Right now Infernal Robotics seems to be handling coming back from, say, the Space Port pretty well except at least one kind of hinge (the one very much like the DR hinge). When I come back to ships, the base of the hinge has often been translated to some substantial distance outside of the ship. And of course it's acting like a collider, which definitely does weird things - like if it's underground it kind of acts like an anchor.

Is this a known thing? Is it something that's fixable? I really really want these to work flawlessly 'cause I love using the parts :)

I have just now tried to run my DROMOMAN mod using infernal robotics in 0.21 and everything works, except I have this same issue. The base (static) mesh moves some meters away from the top (moveable) mesh which on the other hand, stays in place correctly. The problem is only graphical, there are no physical issues though. This happens after loading the ship (quick loading or just continuing the mission, but not from start).

Wow that's awesome. Thanks for the screenshots. I'll see what is going on but I suspect I already know the answer to the problem. Thanks!

Cool, I suspect that if you have an idea about the problem then this is not terribly useful extra info but I just re-examined the flat hinges after reading ouch's comment (awesome design ouch!) and the bases on those are also getting translated away. I guess I didn't notice because it's harder to see them :)

screenshot10.jpg

Perfect. I'm going to do a change to the hinges and send them to you to test out, if they pan out I'll release it to everyone, cool? Will you be around for a few minutes?

Sure, I can test 'em out. It's about 11pm here now, but I should be up 'til 11:30-12, otherwise the next point would be tomorrow evening to test.

Got it and, Starting KSP now...

Seems to of fixed it! before 2-3 saves would detach a part, I did 20 or so and no difference was made. :)

Thanks!

Well the variable speed controls are gone though. :(

Edited by ouch

I'm uploading a bare bones dll until I fix the problem with the translations moving the fixed collider. For now no custom speed control and no sound support. I'll have this fixed tomorrow. Sorry for all the headache guys.

Looking forward to tomorrows update. Love the work being done here.

Thanks! I guess my migraine got the best of me today. Thanks for everyone's patience and most certainly catching the bugs.

Don't know if this is related or not, but I am striking this interesting happening with the docking washers :)

zjnr.jpg

Oh it's certainly related. I borked it and didn't catch it. Maybe I need to seek a tester that is on the east coast of the US to help me catch these goofy moments. Stay tuned for an update.

One more problem I've encountered. If I put an arm under tension, it is normal that the joints move to try to react on the tension. and if I get the arm up, it gets back into position.

BUT!!! If I quicksave while the arm is under tension and quickload, If I bring the arm up, you can clearly see that the joints will now assume the tensioned positions as their new original ones.

Limb before the experiment:

Sle99aV.jpg

Limb under tension, QUICKSAVE! notice the joint between 2 limb parts and the rotahub

1r9MGZn.jpg

QUICKLOAD, Limb brought up, you can see the joints assume new position

plFXngE.jpg

I don't know if this is the plugin problem or is it a normal KSP problem, but I guess it's one of the things you should tell people first "NEVER LEAVE PARTS UNDER TENSION DURING QUICKSAVING!" =)

One more problem I've encountered. If I put an arm under tension, it is normal that the joints move to try to react on the tension. and if I get the arm up, it gets back into position.

BUT!!! If I quicksave while the arm is under tension and quickload, If I bring the arm up, you can clearly see that the joints will now assume the tensioned positions as their new original ones.

Limb before the experiment:

Sle99aV.jpg

Limb under tension, QUICKSAVE! notice the joint between 2 limb parts and the rotahub

1r9MGZn.jpg

QUICKLOAD, Limb brought up, you can see the joints assume new position

plFXngE.jpg

I don't know if this is the plugin problem or is it a normal KSP problem, but I guess it's one of the things you should tell people first "NEVER LEAVE PARTS UNDER TENSION DURING QUICKSAVING!" =)

Let me update the plugin and let you guys test it again. give me a bit while I recode the pieces. No migraine today!

Any eta on the piston part yet ? The OP indicates tomorrow but tomorrow never comes. I am just curious as its the only part I need to replace in order to update my rover from the older DR parts... would hate to send that thing to the Mun and then see a nice shiny new piston 5 min later on the forums :P

That may be the other parts mesh collider. Do you have a part I can try this on? I would use the hex lander can to test my connections and they seemed flush.

Yea, thats what I thought too. I tried with several parts. It's not as bad on curved stuff that has the collider sitting beneath the surface, but is really apparent on flat items. try attaching the hinges to the flat side of one of the stock beams, or to one of B9's 1 meter square plates. The DR door hinges lays flush with all these parts.

bR0Q9kw.jpg

Edited by Gristle

Any eta on the piston part yet ? The OP indicates tomorrow but tomorrow never comes. I am just curious as its the only part I need to replace in order to update my rover from the older DR parts... would hate to send that thing to the Mun and then see a nice shiny new piston 5 min later on the forums :P

It would have been released but I made a coding error so I have to fix that first. The part will come out today. It's Eastern Time here, the latest it will be done at midnight or 1AM. Sorry it's taking so long.

Oh it's certainly related. I borked it and didn't catch it. Maybe I need to seek a tester that is on the east coast of the US to help me catch these goofy moments. Stay tuned for an update.

I'm Eastern Time - North East Kentucky.

It would have been released but I made a coding error so I have to fix that first. The part will come out today. It's Eastern Time here, the latest it will be done at midnight or 1AM. Sorry it's taking so long.

why would you even say sorry to us, we humbly accept whenever you have time to release , thanks for your hard work

why would you even say sorry to us, we humbly accept whenever you have time to release , thanks for your hard work

This ^^^

No apology necessary. I even feel bad coming here and reporting problems. I know how much work you guys put into these things.

I agree wholeheartedly with the last two posts. I got a chance to install and play with the new parts last night, great stuff, especially the rail.

I do have two requests (whenever you get around to requests) or maybe one request and one (known) problem. The request: a longer/taller powered hinge. I've used the DR equivalent (with necessary cfg file editing) to fold things up flat against the craft. With this shorter hinge most things collide with the main body before it gets to 90 degrees. I could put some structural part under it, but fewer parts is always better.

The problem I'm having is one I've mentioned before about the old DR parts -- in this case, that landing gear placed on the hinges aren't very stable. I was trying a really heavy craft last night so I want to go back and try with something closer to a normal lander, it seems better than what I was experiencing with the DR hinge. (Maybe making it longer will make this worse...) But if I use a structural part, and mount legs to that, it's stable. If I replace the structural part with a hinge, I can't get the thing to stand up any more. I think that started happening to the DR parts in 0.19 or 0.20, and it seems worse for everything (as in all the stock parts) in 0.21 -- nothing wants to hold together as solidly as it used to. I guess they needed to sell more struts.

Edited by Markarian421