[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Questions. What is the dimensions of this washer idea? Will it have an opening like the ball bearing image? I'm trying to get an idea of how I'm supposed to model this.

I tried to show this in a previous post (but my modelling skills are somewhat lacking :P): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics-0-7?p=597280&viewfull=1#post597280. As that shows, it would have a solid core about the same size as the three inline RCS tanks. The bearing part would extend out around it.

It you want you could make the centre be hollow, so that it can be placed around existing tanks, but that seems rather complex to pull off.

I tried to show this in a previous post (but my modelling skills are somewhat lacking :P): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics-0-7?p=597280&viewfull=1#post597280. As that shows, it would have a solid core about the same size as the three inline RCS tanks. The bearing part would extend out around it.

It you want you could make the centre be hollow, so that it can be placed around existing tanks, but that seems rather complex to pull off.

Wow I'm a tard. I know exactly what you want now. Making it hollow may cause attachment problems but I think I can do that! Question, do you still have that model and if so is it in blender? If so, send it to me and I can make it a reality.

Kept having a strange feeling I was being followed on Duna.....

DyubuWu.png

That was a problem with an old version of the plugin. The translation has been fixed in 0.7 (and noone has told me otherwise). However you will have to restart that flight in order for the fix to work.

Wow I'm a tard. I know exactly what you want now. Making it hollow may cause attachment problems but I think I can do that! Question, do you still have that model and if so is it in blender? If so, send it to me and I can make it a reality.

I do still have it but didn't used blender to make it. I can send you a .obj file if you'd like, although I expect the scaling is way off?

I do still have it but didn't used blender to make it. I can send you a .obj file if you'd like, although I expect the scaling is way off?

That's fine. it will give me something to work with.

Hello, Would you be able to make a proper rail system in the future?

I was looking forward to try and make a Canadarm2 inspired robotic arm for my station, unfortunately the Adjustable Rail just doesn't cut it...

The Canadarm2 on the ISS is basically mounted on a rail system that spans all the length of the main truss, allowing the base to move along... Ideally this would mean that the rail should be made of two pieces I think:

1) A modular rail tract. This should probably come in different lengths, but the important feature would be that it'd allow the piece n°2 to move freely between sections of rail (even allowing small gaps, possible), thus allowing for later additions to the rail.

2) The payload support. This would be basically a small attachment point, that would need to be placed on top of a rail and stay attached there (at least with some resistance), while being able to move freely along the rail.

The support wouldn't need to be huge because ideally one would use something like docking ports to actually attach the real payload to it (as launching all at once would probably make for some unbalanced cargo).

In theory one would be able to couple these pieces to make larger rails (ie 2 or 3 rails with a support each) to attach bigger and heavier payloads. This shouldn't need any additional work, as long as you make the rails parallell and the attachment points placed in correspondence to the payload ports (or whatever other attachment method the player's going to use).

For reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadarm2#Mobile_Base_System

This mod needs better documentation. As excellent as the very capability to use moving parts is, it took me bloody three hours to find a combination of actuators that behaved as I expected them to. :)

lzGFFyh.jpg

...It also seems to me that the medium piston is not moving correctly. At least, it's not supposed to be able to compress beyond VAB length, is it?

This mod needs better documentation. As excellent as the very capability to use moving parts is, it took me bloody three hours to find a combination of actuators that behaved as I expected them to. :)

lzGFFyh.jpg

...It also seems to me that the medium piston is not moving correctly. At least, it's not supposed to be able to compress beyond VAB length, is it?

I'm not sure what you mean. I did upload a version that allowed the piston to travel further than it should. I suggest downloading version 0.7 if you haven't already.

I'll make better documentation soon.

The bearing with a solid center that doesn't move so things can rotate around a central core is one of them, the other idea is very similar to the snake robot thing, but doesn't need as many bending directions (just one direction should be good enough but more would be cool)

As for the other idea, grab a plate, stick a motorized hinge on it and then another plate. that's the basic concept. Make it taller to bend farther. For my instance, I only really need it to bend 20-30 degrees maximum off the center of the vertical axis.

I did some playing in KSP to try to simulate it. It might be simplest to call it a ball joint, bender or just a really big hinge :)

What would be really cool is if you could program each pivot to be a set number of degrees (from 1-30 say) and have two states, normal and bent.

FGOnkIt.png

I'm not sure what you mean. I did upload a version that allowed the piston to travel further than it should. I suggest downloading version 0.7 if you haven't already.

I've seen this particular bug, it's no longer happening. Right now, I am using 0.7 and the medium piston appears to be able to compress beyond it's structural limit. I.e. the shaft can go through one of it's ends. I might of course be imagining things in the chaos of small parts, but that was what it looked like. This does not seem to happen with a small piston.

I'll make better documentation soon.

IMHO, what needs documenting is where the limits of each actuator and which direction do they go to, it's visually obvious with pistons (they're closed, they extend) but not quite so visually obvious with hinges (I was surprised to find the open flat hinge closes in the direction completely opposite of where I expect it to close) or rails.

I've seen this particular bug, it's no longer happening. Right now, I am using 0.7 and the medium piston appears to be able to compress beyond it's structural limit. I.e. the shaft can go through one of it's ends. I might of course be imagining things in the chaos of small parts, but that was what it looked like. This does not seem to happen with a small piston.

IMHO, what needs documenting is where the limits of each actuator and which direction do they go to, it's visually obvious with pistons (they're closed, they extend) but not quite so visually obvious with hinges (I was surprised to find the open flat hinge closes in the direction completely opposite of where I expect it to close) or rails.

I see what you mean but I think most people, coming from using Damned Robotics, wasn't so confused with the hinges. :) I'll make some small animated gifs showing the min/max movement of each part.

Also. can you provide a screenshot of the medium hinge issue you mention? I am not seeing the problem.

Maybe you are imagining things. It doesn't compress further than it should nor extend further than it should. All pistons have the same starting point and have been rescaled on how far they can travel.

I see what you mean but I think most people, coming from using Damned Robotics, wasn't so confused with the hinges. :) I'll make some small animated gifs showing the min/max movement of each part.

By the time I considered designing a mission around Damned Robotics, it no longer worked, so I didn't have as much time to play with it as most people. :)

Also. can you provide a screenshot of the medium hinge issue you mention? I am not seeing the problem.

I'll try to replicate the problem and get back to you if I it replicates. :)

Thank you very much for your excellent work.

I've found a bug, but not sure if the report goes here or in Devo's Wayland thread. Infernal robotics parts do not work if your craft has the Freelancer command pod in it. The vessel loads fine, and you hear the actuators make noise, but nothing moves.

By the time I considered designing a mission around Damned Robotics, it no longer worked, so I didn't have as much time to play with it as most people. :)

I'll try to replicate the problem and get back to you if I it replicates. :)

Thank you very much for your excellent work.

Your welcome but thanks for using the plugin & parts. I've learned a lot from tackling this endeavor with the help of Devo.

I've found a bug, but not sure if the report goes here or in Devo's Wayland thread. Infernal robotics parts do not work if your craft has the Freelancer command pod in it. The vessel loads fine, and you hear the actuators make noise, but nothing moves.

Interesting. Let me redownload that now and test it(on the wife's machine).

I have something for you to think about Sirkut...

Can you put in sub menus in the UI with the plugin ? If so how does a menu system with a main heading and then when you open it you get the controls sound ?

Think...

Crane [+]

which then becomes

Crane [-]

- Crane Rotate < o >

- Crane Tilt......< o >

- Crane Extend.< o >

... and if thats possible, a nice feature would be

Crane [+] o (the o here would be like pressing o on all the components of the Crane group at the same time (or better still sequentially))

The UI would then look something like...

Crane [+] o

Drill....[+] o

Lifter..[+] o

As always , these are just mere suggestions and ideas , not demands.

I do appreciate your hard work in this mod and really enjoy the freedom these parts add to my designs.