[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Sirkut, I hate to pester, but do you have any input on my question about the "springiness" of IR parts? I'm a bit of a VTOL addict :D

No I have no input right now about the springiness of the parts. I'm looking into it is all I can say.

No I have no input right now about the springiness of the parts. I'm looking into it is all I can say.

I guess it depends whether the issue is the connection between the two sides of a joint, or between the IR and other parts.

Have you been able to create a hexapod in KSP yet?

Yep :D. The issue with creating a true hexapod though is the lack of Inverse Kinematics within KSP, plus (as Torminator mentions) the lack of rigidity, hence the landing gear for support.

I guess it depends whether the issue is the connection between the two sides of a joint, or between the IR and other parts.

Yep :D. The issue with creating a true hexapod though is the lack of Inverse Kinematics within KSP, plus (as Torminator mentions) the lack of rigidity, hence the landing gear for support.

That's awesome. Can you post a .craft file? I'd love to see how you made it work.

How do you make it move itself automatically without player input?

There are Move+, Move- and Move Center action groups. When you press a key assigned to one of those it will keep moving until you press the key again. Been there since Damned Robotics.

That's awesome. Can you post a .craft file? I'd love to see how you made it work.

Here you go :)

Use the Stride Adjustment to change how far the legs move, and hold the I and K keys to drive it forward and back. Don't drive too fast though (10x multiplier max), the front left leg has a tendancy to spontaneously detach and I haven't figured out why.

How exactly do I change the group for something when it's already launched? I have a space station with a pair of solar array 'arms', each with a docking washer to allow them to rotate to the correct direction after docking.

However, I neglected to rename the group before launching the second one, and so both arms are now on the same group, rotating different directions.

I know I can lock each one individually, but if I could go and change a value in a file, it'd be a lot simpler.

How exactly do I change the group for something when it's already launched? I have a space station with a pair of solar array 'arms', each with a docking washer to allow them to rotate to the correct direction after docking.

However, I neglected to rename the group before launching the second one, and so both arms are now on the same group, rotating different directions.

I know I can lock each one individually, but if I could go and change a value in a file, it'd be a lot simpler.

I think there is a mod called 'actions on the fly' which lets you do this

[Edit] here

I think there is a mod called 'actions on the fly' which lets you do this

[Edit] here

That works well for action groups, but sadly not for Infernal Robotics groups. Sorry, I probably should have been a bit clearer about which groups I was talking about.

That works well for action groups, but sadly not for Infernal Robotics groups. Sorry, I probably should have been a bit clearer about which groups I was talking about.

While it won't work for the keys you define during the editor you can at least use the move+, move-, and move center action groups to get what you need.

While it won't work for the keys you define during the editor you can at least use the move+, move-, and move center action groups to get what you need.

That's the issue. The < O > buttons are controlling BOTH arms. What I want to do is separate them into two different groups.

My theory was that the IR Group details were stored in the persistent.sfs file, but I couldn't find them anywhere.

Are those group details stored in a file somewhere?

It's stored in the cData which is binary. Won't do you much good unfortunately. It's one of the things brought over from when it was Damned Robotics. I do plan on rewriting it when I have a free moment.

the 7a update has made for me any small tress arms made with the hinge to have space after a time warp. before it was only after i closed the game and restarted now its every time i time warp.

im wondering if the problem is that when time warp they go back to the orignal postion that might be whats causing the problem maybe

Updated to 0.8 which is just a parts update. Please read the entire post before asking questions. Docking washers _may_ break your save (make a backup!) since I redid the textures and now using the same model.mu and textures. Free moving docking washers still do NOT lock nor do they move. Yes the GUI still shows that you can move them but they still don't work. Also, there's a lot of parts. I'm crazy and I use them but if you don't simply edit the CFG files at your own risk.

Where do you get off posting a release that breaks all our crafts i mean the nerve.....whats that you say its free? Excellent i think we should all be happy you are working for free.

Edit: Sorry was making fun of the whiners

Edited by Toyotawolf

Where do you get off posting a release that breaks all our crafts i mean the nerve.....whats that you say its free? Excellent i think we should all be happy you are working for free.

It _may_ break your craft. I did a test with the old legacy washers and removed the folders and replaced it with the new version and it didn't bomb on me. It's just a CYA.

@MSI Crew: Do you think its possible to make gears? I've played a little bit with this using docking washers and girders to make some really coarse gears ad it seemed to work ok.

Yes, gears are possible now but not in the way we want. I personally would like to make several types of gear boxes, but we are working on getting multiple servo's to function on the one model, as you currently you need to add a servo and a new control group for each IR part you use.

The problem with that, is you can't just use a generic animation for the movement of the IR parts, as they are hard coded. So - yes I could make gears right now, but all they would do is look pretty and be animated, they wouldn't actually work like gears as such. However, if we can combine multiple servo's in one model then you can have a decent gearbox happening, but currently as you can appreciate it's only 2 parts per IR part, so that would only be two gears and then what would just those two gears be doing?

I would love to make something like a rotary engine, but sadly I lack the coding skill to pull it off, I could model it but yah, I leave the tricky stuff to Sirkut. :)