[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I have one request: A free-moving hinge part as a truck chassis articulation point.

I duplicate and modify the config for one of the hinges as it is, but something that looks a little more that part would be awesome. :) Though you might consider it a little too generic.

The one thing I always thought DR (and now this) needed was an in-VAB configuration screen for setting the spring forces and such. (I know this requires some wizardry)

Edited by SmiteZero

The old what? Be sure to wrap the text file with PART { and at the end }

I tried that and what I got was my persistent file wiped of all flights except my flags and KSP claiming it couldn't load anything because it couldn't find any parts, stock or otherwise. Good thing I keep a recent quicksave.

// --- general parameters ---
name = DRS1
module = MuMechServo
author = r4m0n (code) || Damnyoujapan (model)

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = cylinder.DAE
scale = 1.0
texture = Rotatron.png
specPower = 0.1
rimFalloff = 3
alphaCutoff = 0

// --- node definitions ---
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.05, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
cost = 50
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Suspensatron, full size.
manufacturer = Damned Robotics
description = Essentially a Damned Robotics Rotatron modified to act as a torsion spring for an independent suspension. Intended for large heavy rovers weighing 10-15tns.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3000
breakingForce = 999
breakingTorque = 999

// toggle parameters
rotateJoint = True
rotateAxis = 0, -1, 0
keyRotateSpeed = 20.0
rotateLimits = False
jointSpring = 20
jointDamping = 0
onActivate = False
rotateKey = left
revRotateKey = right
fixedMesh = Base
servoName = New Rotatron

I suppose I could do that. I'll make is a separate pack do those who want them can install them. I feel that with all the parts I may be a bit spammy in the ship editor. :)

Go ahead, since it has already been spammy with lots of mods installed, making it more spammy wouldn't hurt me at all. :D:P

The problem with using RCS to counter the torque of a spinning part is that'll run out of fuel.

I do not think you understood me. The idea is that you shoot a ring shaped ship into orbit - probably in parts with multiple rockets/shuttles. After construction, you use RCS to rotate the ship as a whole. Because there is nothing to stop it, the ship will rotate and generate gravity. After the initial boost, you will need little or no RCS.

It is actually pretty much exactly how spin stabilized space probes work.

You didn't wrap the text file like I said. You need to take that text file, open it up and at the top put:

PART

{

<<<<this part is the original text>>>>>

then at the very bottom put:

}

Save it and reload the game. That part isn't 0.20 compliant so in order for older parts to work you must use the new declaration.

You didn't wrap the text file like I said. You need to take that text file, open it up and at the top put:

<<<<this part is the original text>>>>>

then at the very bottom put:

Save it and reload the game. That part isn't 0.20 compliant so in order for older parts to work you must use the new declaration.

I said I tried that and it was a huge FAIL. It caused KSP to decide it had no parts available and wiped everything but the flags from the persistent file. I posted one of the original cfg files so someone could see what all is wrong with it and what it'll take to fix.

I said I tried that and it was a huge FAIL. It caused KSP to decide it had no parts available and wiped everything but the flags from the persistent file. I posted one of the original cfg files so someone could see what all is wrong with it and what it'll take to fix.

Ok. I'll look at it tomorrow and see what is wrong.

Hello, I have been having a problem. When I try to load a game, my game freezes always loading rotatron parts, I am trying different things here, but it freezes saying "parts\rotatron\parts\rotatron" it also will sometimes say half and fourth. When i delete the rotatron it will freeze on rotatron Mk2. What else can I do to resolve this?

Hello, I have been having a problem. When I try to load a game, my game freezes always loading rotatron parts, I am trying different things here, but it freezes saying "parts\rotatron\parts\rotatron" it also will sometimes say half and fourth. When i delete the rotatron it will freeze on rotatron Mk2. What else can I do to resolve this?

I would need to see the log file.

Something just have been done wrong because all I did was take the download from the link you provided, unzipped them to their own directory and changed all three configs to be 0.20 compliant and it worked on my end.

2bli60cm1xdvyf9fg.jpg?size_id=5

Something just have been done wrong because all I did was take the download from the link you provided, unzipped them to their own directory and changed all three configs to be 0.20 compliant and it worked on my end.

Please post one with the changes you made.

Please post one with the changes you made.

Here, use the Infernal Robotics version. Let me know how it goes. I used the same sizes as the suspensatron. Place this in the IR_Rotatron directory and keep the file name, don't overwrite what you have in place or it will remove the existing rotatrons.

http://www./view/j2ipn70qcel6wb3/suspensatron.cfg

2bli60cm1xdvyf9fg.jpg?size_id=5

What is that command pod? It looks really cool. Also, I just want to say I think that this mod needs to have a texture pass and be made to feel more 'stockalike' as some of the textures feel very out of place and look quite odd.

Perhaps it's something to consider for the future. I personally think it's more important to expand and refine the capabilities of the mod first before looking at a second pass on the art.

Edit: On a slightly related point. I'm curious, how people are actually using the current selection of parts, and what for? Are there any that people don't use or would prefer better versions/variations of?

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Perhaps it's something to consider for the future. I personally think it's more important to expand and refine the capabilities of the mod first before looking at a second pass on the art.

Edit: On a slightly related point. I'm curious, how people are actually using the current selection of parts, and what for? Are there any that people don't use or would prefer better versions/variations of?

Expand yes! After spending so many hours skinning what we already have, it just unnerved me a little for wanting to have to go back and undo what work I already did, not even counting what Devo did.

I know a scissor lift was one idea that was floated.

...I just want to say I think that this mod needs to have a texture pass and be made to feel more 'stockalike' as some of the textures feel very out of place and look quite odd.

Why? Not everything has to look 'stockalike'; FusTek, LLL, THSS, FireSpitter, MSI just to name a few have their own unique styles.

Good point Gristle. That being said, I would personally like a more unified feel with the mod in the future, not necessarily a stock feel though. Maybe something I can look into in the future.

If you want to skin it, I'm all for letting you help out if you want. I mean you are part of the team. :) I just need a distraction for a bit hence trying to model the X-20 Dyna-Soar.

I seem to use at least 1 MSI part in everything I build. Some things I've done with MSI parts are, custom landing gear, extendable/retractable solar arrays, custom cargo bays, arms, cranes, folding vehicles, adding a bit of animation to non-animated parts, engine vectoring.

I seem to use at least 1 MSI part in everything I build. Some things I've done with MSI parts are, custom landing gear, extendable/retractable solar arrays, custom cargo bays, arms, cranes, folding vehicles, adding a bit of animation to non-animated parts, engine vectoring.

Wow. Now that is a list!

In other news I think I'm going to add a minimize button to the GUI. It's annoying me enough that I want to be able to minimize the window. Hopefully should have an update this weekend when I'm not too busy.

What is that command pod? It looks really cool. Also, I just want to say I think that this mod needs to have a texture pass and be made to feel more 'stockalike' as some of the textures feel very out of place and look quite odd.

I am afraid I feel the same. I love this mod to bits, as well as the extensive efforts from everyone involved. Let's not be unclear about any of that. Your work is amazing.

I just feel it could be perfect if the parts were match up to the stock parts a little bit more. They do not look bad per se*, but they feel like they belong in completely different games. I use the parts less because of that and it is really a shame, as they complement KSP so beautifully.

If you ask me, that ALCOR pod is how modparts should be done; it looks beautiful, fits perfectly with stock parts yet brings a new, fresh flavour to the table. Pretty much perfect in my book.

The only exception to that might be the VTOL-rotator, of which I do not like the looks at all. Sorry.

Edited by Camacha

With DR and IR I have built folding rovers, folding communications satellites, support vehicles (think fork lifts, cranes et cetera), some rotating engine VTOL attempts (in the DR days), targeting systems, assorted arms and I have used them for compactifying my payloads in general, as I use FAR and like my rockets to looks somewhat like real rockets. I probably forgot a bunch of stuff too :D

When IR finally gets the kOS integration, I am quite sure a lot more will follow, as I am kind of an automation and robotics freak and that would be a dream come true. I am currently working on drones and controllable robotics parts would help beautifully.

I feel IR is parts wise pretty complete as it is. The more generic and non-specific parts are, the better, as they do not force a player to use something in a specific way. Maybe some sensors (range finding, weight detection, stuff like that) that can be used with kOS would be nice, but I think that might be a different mod alltogether.

I'll made a plain "stock" texture pack similar to what damned robotics have to appease the demands. They won't be super awesome or have wear, they will just be two tone colors, one to denote stationary and one to denote the moving side. Probably two shades of ksp grey or maybe go with the DR rotatron scheme.