[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Career Mode activation instructions for Magic Smoke Infernal Robotics

If you have Module Manager installed, you can create a <somename>.cfg file in the GameData folder with overrides for each part to define career mode science tech tree. Using Module Manager is a better way to do this, as you don't have to edit each part file, but just have this one file.

Then when you relaunch the game, Module Manager will scan for this cfg file and define science requirements for the parts. You can then see the new parts show up in your existing career mode.

I chose to set all items to largeElectrics, but if you want you can set them to something else in the tree or set them to "TechRequired = start" instead so they are unlocked immediately. All I did to figure this out was to look in all the Part directories for "name = <somePartName>" and then created a stanza for each somePartName. Again, you may wish to unlock them earlier or choose a different tech category.

I saved this as a text file called "MagicSmoke_InfernalRobotics_techtree.cfg" and saved it under "GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/" and then restarted.

@PART[AdjustableRail]
{
TechRequired=largeElectrics
entryCost=0
}

@PART[AdjustableRailHalf]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[AdjustableRailFourth]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[dockingwasher_std]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[dockingwasher_sr]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[dockingwasher_jr]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[dockingwasher_free]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[dockingwasher_freejr]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[dockingwasher_freesr]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[GantryLarge]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[Gantry]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[GantrySmall]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[GantryExtraSmall]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeClosed]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeClosedHalf]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeClosedFourth]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IR_HingeIndustrial]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeOpen]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeOpenHalf]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeOpenFourth]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeTall]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeTallHalf]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRHingeTallFourth]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRPiston]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRPistonHalf]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IRPistonFourth]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IR_Rotatron]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IR_RotatronHalf]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IR_RotatronFourth]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IR_Rotatronmk2]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[IR_RotatronVTOL]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeFullA]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeFullB]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeFullC]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeHalfA]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeHalfB]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeHalfC]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeFourthA]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeFourthB]
{
entryCost=0
}

@PART[TelescopeFourthC]
{
entryCost=0
}

Can you make the fairing base to attach procedural fuselage fairings, that rotates two of four fairings behind the other two - kind of a procedural cargo bay?

Extra cookies for not just rotating the fairings into each other, but "lifting" them first to slide over their counterparts.

Can you make the fairing base to attach procedural fuselage fairings, that rotates two of four fairings behind the other two - kind of a procedural cargo bay?

Extra cookies for not just rotating the fairings into each other, but "lifting" them first to slide over their counterparts.

Wrong thread by chance?

Nope, posted here quite intentionally. :)

Hasnt anyone built something out of procFairings other then, well, fairings? I think the space bug or what was it called?

The fairings mod already has the ability to shape the parts to fit a vessel. From IR I hoped to either find a way to built hinges for the fairings - or to inspire a new part with the proposed functionality.

Nope, posted here quite intentionally. :)

Hasnt anyone built something out of procFairings other then, well, fairings? I think the space bug or what was it called?

The fairings mod already has the ability to shape the parts to fit a vessel. From IR I hoped to either find a way to built hinges for the fairings - or to inspire a new part with the proposed functionality.

I've done this, but not quite how you describe, although I've attempted that method. The problem is the the fairing pieces have a very limited area where they will accept connections and its on the end.

zzGlzlI.jpg

This is similiar to what you are describing:

Edited by Gristle

I'll made a plain "stock" texture pack similar to what damned robotics have to appease the demands. They won't be super awesome or have wear, they will just be two tone colors, one to denote stationary and one to denote the moving side. Probably two shades of ksp grey or maybe go with the DR rotatron scheme.

That would be pretty cool!

A thought: It would be great if MSI parts could have their initial angle set in the VAB in the same way that B9 VTOL engines can be. It would cut down on parts since you wouldn't need opened and closed versions of hinges, and would make complex creations easier to construct. I suppose it might make sense to wait for tweakables in 0.23 to do this though.

Setting the initial position of sliding, telescoping and rotating parts would be very useful, especially if those position set in the build would be the zero or home position it the parts go to when holding the middle button in the control window.

A thought: It would be great if MSI parts could have their initial angle set in the VAB in the same way that B9 VTOL engines can be. It would cut down on parts since you wouldn't need opened and closed versions of hinges, and would make complex creations easier to construct. I suppose it might make sense to wait for tweakables in 0.23 to do this though.

The VTOL engines are set via its animation positions which is completely different than how the robotic parts are handled. I haven't tested allowing users to move parts yet in the VAB but it's on my list of things to test.

Is it just me, or is the engine connection on the VTOL rotatron really... slippery? I don't see it when I use a single aerospike on it in normal time, but under physical time acceleration, while throttled up, the engine ... slides and slips off the end, clipping into the rotatron. This just gets more obvious if you swap out the single aerospike for three using an adapter. The adapter and engines will bounce around while the vtol rotatron remains steady, even with struts attached.

This might be a know bug, but I'll report it anyway.

I was testing my reusable shuttle system with IR telescopic pistons. Apparently the newly created craft, from 2 docked crafts with one or more IR parts, doesn't inherit the original part position.

Instead it uses the position when they dock.

The image bellow explains the whole deal.

irbug_zpsfe6c5291.png

1st step shows the telescopic piston extended.

2nd step docked with the shuttle.

3rd step tried to lift the shuttle by retracting telescopic pistons, but it move. So I tried extending and this is what happened.

This might be a know bug, but I'll report it anyway.

I was testing my reusable shuttle system with IR telescopic pistons. Apparently the newly created craft, from 2 docked crafts with one or more IR parts, doesn't inherit the original part position.

Instead it uses the position when they dock.

The image bellow explains the whole deal.

irbug_zpsfe6c5291.png

1st step shows the telescopic piston extended.

2nd step docked with the shuttle.

3rd step tried to lift the shuttle by retracting telescopic pistons, but it move. So I tried extending and this is what happened.

It's a known bug. Haven't looked at it yet.

sirkut, is kOS integration still in the works, or did that prove too difficult?

Took a break from it so I wouldn't get burned out from coding. Started modelling the Dynasoar and now going to texture it. I'll be revisiting kOS integration as well as RasterPropMonitor integration. I will however be updating the plugin tonight to allow collapsing of the GUI window in both the editor and while in flight since it's such an easy fix.

Well guys. I updated the plugin to allow collapsing and expanding the GUI. It's not a pretty solution but it collapses it quite a bit if you have a lot of controls. Download is in the first post. Enjoy.

a367eiwz77t6co7fg.jpg?size_id=5

b1cv4ucpzhvcj89fg.jpg?size_id=5

Well guys. I updated the plugin to allow collapsing and expanding the GUI. It's not a pretty solution but it collapses it quite a bit if you have a lot of controls. Download is in the first post. Enjoy.

a367eiwz77t6co7fg.jpg?size_id=5

b1cv4ucpzhvcj89fg.jpg?size_id=5

Coolios, thanks! Can we get an ability to bind a key to set a part back to neutral position?

Coolios, thanks! Can we get an ability to bind a key to set a part back to neutral position?

There's many additions that would be nice. Adjust positions and movement limits in VAB, adjust zero positions, a single button to move everything to the zero position.

Such features would make it simpler to build a folding rover, probe etc, position the pieces in the unfolded state and set it all to zero. Then when it's time to unfold, just poke one button. Cooler yet would be sequenced and dependent motions so that some parts controls would be locked until other parts are moved out of the way.

Would be some effort to do all the arranging and setting, but the end result... "Watch what happens when I click here..." "Oooooo!" "Ahhhh!" ;)

You are aware that the action group "Move Center" does just that? It's a toggle action group meaning you will have to press it again to make it stop. Give it a try.

Oh... a new version has just come out.

Well... i'll still wait for that adjustment-in-VAB/SPH feature... which will give much much more flexibility to players.

Yes, a feature that has never been available ever and yet is a still show stopper for some people. I am not certain if and when I will attempt to get this particular request implemented.

Edited by sirkut

Yes, a feature that has never been available ever and yet is a still show stopper for some people. I am not certain if and when I will attempt to get this particular request implemented.

I don't know about how hard that would be, but if we simply use the same logic and similar UI used when in flight, these parts should be able to animate as well in VAB/SPH, perhaps the only issue is about updating attach node position, which has already been implemented by some other mods like ProceduralFairings/StretchyTanks, guess that these mods' source-codes can be good references.

Took a break from it so I wouldn't get burned out from coding. Started modelling the Dynasoar and now going to texture it. I'll be revisiting kOS integration as well as RasterPropMonitor integration. I will however be updating the plugin tonight to allow collapsing of the GUI window in both the editor and while in flight since it's such an easy fix.

Excellent. It's a feature I'm very much looking forwards to. Programmable robotics parts would open up so many possibilities. But I can certainly understand needing to take a break from the project. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next :)