[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'm having two minor issues. First, the "Lock" command doesn't seem to do much, either that or I don't understand it's functionality; is supposed to prevent the locked part from being actuated [from the IR controls] or is it supposed to lock the part as in make it rigid so external forces (gravity, bumping, collision) can't move it? I attempt to lock parts, but when I press the corresponding actuator after locking, they move normally. Also, the GUI option doesn't change to "Unlock" or anything of the sort to indicate it has been locked.

Second, the toolbar. When in flight, the toolbar refuses to hide the IR controls when clicking. However in the VAB/SPH, it works as intended. No other toolbar-enabled mods I use have this issue. Is there any known incompatibility with other mods? I'm running a lot; currently the ones that interface with Toolbar (off the top of my head) are: FAR, Targetron, RCSBuildAid, Kethane, CrewManifest and ActionGroupManager plus a bunch that don't interface with the Toolbar. They're all updated to the latest version; that's the first thing I check when something like this happens.

Anywho, love the mod aside from those hiccups, and can't wait for the redesign!

Lock prevents the parts from moving when accidentally clicking a movement button. It may not be working and I don't remember of its a bug or not currently due to .23

May be a bug with my code with the toolbar. I may do a quick update to fix that.

I don't know if anyone got around to this already but there was request for a retexture that looked stock earlier. As I recall, Sirkut was busy with other things, but said anyone who wanted to could take a crack at it. Well I did.

I just wanted to check with Sirkut before posting any... Sirkut, if you are reading this I would like to send them to you so you can try them out. I haven't had a chance to redo the UV so this would be a rough version using the old layout.

Cheers!

I don't know if anyone got around to this already but there was request for a retexture that looked stock earlier. As I recall, Sirkut was busy with other things, but said anyone who wanted to could take a crack at it. Well I did.

I just wanted to check with Sirkut before posting any... Sirkut, if you are reading this I would like to send them to you so you can try them out. I haven't had a chance to redo the UV so this would be a rough version using the old layout.

Cheers!

There was a post about this a few pages back, all the models and textures are bring redone by ZodiusInfuser while Sirkut is also rewriting the plugin

[Edit] Oh wait, you mean a stock texture pack for the current parts, I must need more coffee.

Edited by NoMrBond

That is correct. It's a stock-alike retexture. But it looks like ZoduisInfuser is already redesigning the parts, so my efforts in that area seem superfluous.

I have a more classic 60's "space race" look going though but that's a minor difference. Everything looks great.

I guess if people want something to stand in for now they might find the temp retex useful... maybe.

Thanks for the heads up NoMrBond.

Cheers!

That is correct. It's a stock-alike retexture. But it looks like ZoduisInfuser is already redesigning the parts, so my efforts in that area seem superfluous.

I have a more classic 60's "space race" look going though but that's a minor difference. Everything looks great.

I guess if people want something to stand in for now they might find the temp retex useful... maybe.

Thanks for the heads up NoMrBond.

Cheers!

Definitely put it up, do you have some in-game pictures of your textures applied to the parts?

Would it be possible to edit the VTOL rotatron to make its base smaller, the engine mounting pad Rockomax size and have it extend farther from the base? It also has an issue where holding on the center control button doesn't return them to exactly the starting position.

For a new part I'd love to see some engine hinges. They'd be useful for attaching hooligan labs cirrus envelopes to the sides of rockets, with them hanging down. Hit the button and flip them upwards to use for liftoff in atmosphere.

Tiny versions could also be used to mount small engines on to keep landers and rovers firmly planted on low gravity bodies, then flip the engines straight down for liftoff. Could also be used on rockets and aircraft to switch engines from forward to retro thrust. They'd be useful on low slung aircraft to pivot engines back and forth without hitting the ground. Stick two on the back end of an aircraft for 2D thrust vectoring with any engine that fits on the hinges.

Would need to be able to set which way they pivot in response to a single control, or perhaps a dual control where one pivots them opposite while the other pivots them together. Do a differential pivot then the together one keeps the divergence angle while moving them both the same direction.

A way to have them act as control surfaces would be quite nice. Automated thrust vectoring control. ;)

That's being done for real by people building cheap "foamies" radial control airplanes by mounting the motors and props on servo actuated hinges, controlled by a solid state gyro. The most insanely unstable airplanes with fixed motor mounts become insanely agile airplanes with the gyro able to twitch the thrust around. IIRC at least one guy built a MiG-25 model able to do the Pugachev's Cobra maneuver with a pair of pusher propellers.

Would it be possible to edit the VTOL rotatron to make its base smaller, the engine mounting pad Rockomax size and have it extend farther from the base? It also has an issue where holding on the center control button doesn't return them to exactly the starting position.

For a new part I'd love to see some engine hinges. They'd be useful for attaching hooligan labs cirrus envelopes to the sides of rockets, with them hanging down. Hit the button and flip them upwards to use for liftoff in atmosphere.

Tiny versions could also be used to mount small engines on to keep landers and rovers firmly planted on low gravity bodies, then flip the engines straight down for liftoff. Could also be used on rockets and aircraft to switch engines from forward to retro thrust. They'd be useful on low slung aircraft to pivot engines back and forth without hitting the ground. Stick two on the back end of an aircraft for 2D thrust vectoring with any engine that fits on the hinges.

Would need to be able to set which way they pivot in response to a single control, or perhaps a dual control where one pivots them opposite while the other pivots them together. Do a differential pivot then the together one keeps the divergence angle while moving them both the same direction.

A way to have them act as control surfaces would be quite nice. Automated thrust vectoring control. ;)

That's being done for real by people building cheap "foamies" radial control airplanes by mounting the motors and props on servo actuated hinges, controlled by a solid state gyro. The most insanely unstable airplanes with fixed motor mounts become insanely agile airplanes with the gyro able to twitch the thrust around. IIRC at least one guy built a MiG-25 model able to do the Pugachev's Cobra maneuver with a pair of pusher propellers.

Check the WIP remodel thread in the development section. ZodiusInfuser is working on new vtol engines.

OK since no one minds, why not?

Please bear in mind that this was only intended as a rough proof of concept to show Sirkut. There are many unpolished aspects. Some parts are not yet touched.

There are resolution problems due to the UV issues which also makes it difficult to treat the edges and corners so detail is at minimum unfortunately.

I worked on top of the existing content as much as possible to preserve some of the original intent. Doing it over with new UV and modified geometry was something I just started.

I also reduced logo size a bit and would like to make it clear I meant no disrespect. I only wished to scale things to fit the world better and assumed that with better resolution they would be quite legible.

Anyway, blah blah, here they are:

JgMSenT.jpg

I enjoy having similar feelings about KSP as I have for the wonderfully optimistic visions of the space age.

My intent was with that in mind, so I messed around a bit with scaling too.

For me everything has to fit into fairings. If it doesn't, it feels off to me. The key to that packing is Infernal Robotics.

Gx6xF16.jpg

smV9Gzu.jpg

gxSEW8V.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Edited by Munar Industries
Broken Image Links :/

Note to those having issues with InfernalRobotics 0.11 not seeming to work with Toolbar:

Note that if you have DROMOMAN installed, it has its own copy of the InfernalRobotics.dll, and that was

the root cause of my problems. I renamed that copy to .dllorig and the symptoms went away.

(My symptoms were: IR Window in VAB Editor, but no IR Window in Launch/Flight, and no IR Icon in Toolbar

in either place; that sounds like the typical symptoms reported here.)

Note to those having issues with InfernalRobotics 0.11 not seeming to work with Toolbar:

Note that if you have DROMOMAN installed, it has its own copy of the InfernalRobotics.dll, and that was

the root cause of my problems. I renamed that copy to .dllorig and the symptoms went away.

(My symptoms were: IR Window in VAB Editor, but no IR Window in Launch/Flight, and no IR Icon in Toolbar

in either place; that sounds like the typical symptoms reported here.)

That wasn't the cause of the issue I had with the toolbar. I made sure to leave out the dll when I put the dromoman parts in.

Can someone please explain me the purpose of the Gantry ? I tried to use it for a crane-like vehicle, it would be perfekt for such.

But you can only put 1 node on either side and one middle node in use, otherwise the whole thing collapse/gets ripped apart. Which is not very helpful as everything bends down and you cant strap it.

i'm having issues with the servo control box, meaning i only get one main group control no matter how i configure the arms and the one group control moves every part, hinge, piston, etc, that i put on the arm. How do i make different servo controls to control each part individually. its probably something stupidly easy to fix but i just downloaded this package and have know idea what i'm doing wrong. any help is welcome thanks

Hi sirkut. I have a problem while using your mod on VAB: whenever I try to control the parts using the IR window that pops when I place a part, instead of it working as intented, the entire part rotates. This happens with all IR parts I tried, but only in VAB. When I launch the ship, everything works fine.

I couldn't find anything strange on the log, and it seens to happen on a clean KSP install

Does anyone had this problem already?

Hi sirkut. I have a problem while using your mod on VAB: whenever I try to control the parts using the IR window that pops when I place a part, instead of it working as intented, the entire part rotates. This happens with all IR parts I tried, but only in VAB. When I launch the ship, everything works fine.

I couldn't find anything strange on the log, and it seens to happen on a clean KSP install

Does anyone had this problem already?

You don't control the parts in the VAB. Those controls are only for rotating the parts placement in the VAB. Go to launchpad to move the actually motors.

@ Initar:

I'm all for making them available if that is what Sirkut and Zodius want.

However, some parts have not yet received treatment. That said, I would be ok with releasing a v1.0 for now.

Cheers!

I don't believe I can stop you from providing an image replacement pack. It's all your original work. If Zodius doesnt mind I'm fine it's it. I welcome it if more people will use the parts.

I don't believe I can stop you from providing an image replacement pack. It's all your original work. If Zodius doesnt mind I'm fine it's it. I welcome it if more people will use the parts.

Well it's not about stopping or not stopping. I care about the mod, which is clearly in capable hands on all fronts.

If me doing so muddies the waters and makes things more complicated for you guys I don't want to do it.

The mod is yours and I would respect that.

Cheers!

Edited by Munar Industries
Sentence fragment fixed.

I do not know how difficult it would be, but one thing that would be extremely useful would be if there was a separate robotics tab in the VAB/SPH.

There are a lot of parts, which is not bad per se, but it makes it hard to sort things when it's in the gear tab with all the other stuff.

As this sort of thing is it's own discipline IRL, I could even see this as having it's own branches in the tech tree eventually, which would be very cool.

Cheers!