[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

i do and its really helpfull if mod authers put things like this and version numbers in thread title..my 2c

Me too as I really just skim read the titles and if it doesn't say it's comparable with the latest build I tend to ignore them unless the mod has been recommended to me.

Unless it doesn't specifically says 0.23.5 in the title, I always assume a couple of things:

1. It doesn't work

2. I give it a shot to see if it does work. If it does, I win. If it doesn't I wait patiently for the developer to fix it.

I noticed something funny, I watched Scott Manley's latest video and he was showing some of the 23.5 features. Then he goes to continue his mission, has to click on the "IR" button and it works! His hinge worked perfectly. What the what? I asked him about it but haven't gotten anything back yet. That hinge is the only piece I need right now :S

The interesting thing about this video is his suggestion for a robotic strut of sorts: "It would be really nice infernal robotics guys if you could have some sort of strut that I could disable when I need to start moving things.". I queried him about this, as Quantum Struts kind of does this, but I don't think they quite do what he suggests. I guess it's more a one time use strut that you can explode the bolts on (via action group), rather than being a togglable line-of-sight thing. Any other modders willing to explore this? :P

The interesting thing about this video is his suggestion for a robotic strut of sorts: "It would be really nice infernal robotics guys if you could have some sort of strut that I could disable when I need to start moving things.". I queried him about this, as Quantum Struts kind of does this, but I don't think they quite do what he suggests. I guess it's more a one time use strut that you can explode the bolts on (via action group), rather than being a togglable line-of-sight thing. Any other modders willing to explore this? :P

I saw that comment and the reply. It's not a case that Quantum struts does it or not, it's that he would like something like that in infernal robotics itself.

What he wants is toggle-able struts. so you can turn them on when docked and turn them off for undocking/moving parts like hinges/arms. Already struts will disconnect when you undock with KAS struts. I use them quite often to strengthen my Interplanetary ships after docking the lander to the drive section) and they will dissconnect along with the docking port when you undock. You have to grab them again (in EVA) to place them again when you redock. But for Scott he wanted to hold something rigidly in place while flying then toggle the struts off so he can extend/move the robotics still attached to the ship.

I wonder if he could GRAB struts placed in the VAB to 'disconnect' them from IR parts so they can move while in EVA with KAS? It would require manual connect/disconnect but it would get the job done if it works. Never tried to Grab struts that I placed in the VAB, only grabbed struts I placed from a box onto the ship while in EVA.

I ran into the need for strut reinforcement when launchinig Solar Microwave Generator Sats using KSPI. I wound up using linear decouplers (four or so) as attachment points for multiple struts, which made the folded array (made of quite a few cubic octagonal struts, telescopic pistons, and 90 degree hinges) rigid enough to launch, and cut loose completely allowing deployment of the arm (twenty-one Gigantors per arm).

These arms aren't deployable when not in freefall. A 1g field causes them to bend quite a bit, and seperate in odd ways. Even trying to reorient the sat with the arms deployed takes quite a bit of time, and the arms still bend quite a bit. With the struts done the way they are, they can't be deployed... but they're solid as a rock.

I've thought about using KAS struts for reinforcing unfolding structures, but usually the part count is already high enough that I think the struts aren't going to be worth it.

On my two Eve rover/landers, I have things all braced up with quantum struts. They're mounted to the fuel tanks and engines so when I jettison all that the struts go away with them.

Quantum struts and strut guns will auto disconnect and connect if their LOS intersects a docking ship, but you never want them intersecting zero mass parts. What they won't do is disconnect when bridging docking ports assembled in VAB or SPH. Try to undock and they'll hold until turned off, so any of them you place that way you'll want to action group.

If used to bridge decouplers during assembly, they'll disconnect when the decouplers are triggered.

I'm holding off on .23.5 until IR, KJR and other mods get fully sorted out. Having visions of grabbing asteroids and dropping them on KSC. Would be nice to be able to inflict damage, if only temporary!

Done but no one reads them anyway.

A few of us do, thank you for saving me the time looking though the forums to see if it worked.... (ignore my looking any way for any other news)

I'm holding off on .23.5 until IR, KJR and other mods get fully sorted out. Having visions of grabbing asteroids and dropping them on KSC. Would be nice to be able to inflict damage, if only temporary!

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is already fixed.

I saw that comment and the reply. It's not a case that Quantum struts does it or not, it's that he would like something like that in infernal robotics itself.

Now this is where the vagueness of his message and reply confused me. I couldn't tell if he was genuinely wanting a new mechanic that no-one has made before, or wanted an existing one in the same download as IR.

What he wants is toggle-able struts. so you can turn them on when docked and turn them off for undocking/moving parts like hinges/arms. Already struts will disconnect when you undock with KAS struts. I use them quite often to strengthen my Interplanetary ships after docking the lander to the drive section) and they will dissconnect along with the docking port when you undock. You have to grab them again (in EVA) to place them again when you redock. But for Scott he wanted to hold something rigidly in place while flying then toggle the struts off so he can extend/move the robotics still attached to the ship.

See I got the impression he was after a one-time-use thing that you would add in the VAB/SPH like a normal strut, but be able to break on command. More advanced functionality is available with the KAS struts as you say. Alternatively (or as well) we could create an IR themed quantum strut, since they supposably still work in 0.23.5.

Sirkut what about getting in touch with Ferram4 since IR worked fine with KJR and the joint updates are based on its code (ferram actually helped the devs code it) he could probably tell you where the issue is in an instant or better yet help you make a fix!

Sirkut what about getting in touch with Ferram4 since IR worked fine with KJR and the joint updates are based on its code (ferram actually helped the devs code it) he could probably tell you where the issue is in an instant or better yet help you make a fix!

The reason it worked fine with KJR is he merely added an ignore statement that looked the other way when there was a part that contained an infernal robotics joint.

Im close to uninstalling IR unless i can figure out why nothing works...i can build with all the parts and set key bindings but on the launchpad nothing moves or even reacts to the commands weather im useing the window or the regular KSP number bindings all the possibilities and nothing works.

Did you read that lil' piece of text called thread title? It says "broken in 0.23.5". Have some patience and the mod will be fixed. ;)

Just a little update. I'm getting some progress so hopefully I'll have this resolved.

YAY! When its done, will name my first creation with IR in 23.5 after you, Sirkut. XD

Im close to uninstalling IR unless i can figure out why nothing works...i can build with all the parts and set key bindings but on the launchpad nothing moves or even reacts to the commands weather im useing the window or the regular KSP number bindings all the possibilities and nothing works.

Perhaps you should read the thread a little before delivering an ultimatum to the developer of a great mod...

Perhaps you should read the thread a little before delivering an ultimatum to the developer of a great mod...

I don't see an ultimatum, so much as somebody willing to walk away and deprive themselves of something pretty cool because they're too proud to ask for help directly, or to put forth any effort into going back over what others have already helped bring to light on the exact same situation.

I don't see an ultimatum, so much as somebody willing to walk away and deprive themselves of something pretty cool because they're too proud to ask for help directly, or to put forth any effort into going back over what others have already helped bring to light on the exact same situation.

I read it as "fix it for me or I'm out of here", but either way, reading a few pages of posts and having a little appreciation go a long way here.

If you are using 0.23.5 it is BROKEN. uinstall until I have the time to fix it. i have a few people offering to help which is quite helpful. If you are using an older version i can't help you right now because I have to fix 0.23.5