[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

If you are using 0.23.5 it is BROKEN. uinstall until I have the time to fix it. i have a few people offering to help which is quite helpful. If you are using an older version i can't help you right now because I have to fix 0.23.5

Ignore people like him thinks he's so entitled

Just keep doing what your doing!

I for one will patiently wait and enjoy the game in the meantime

Just a little update. I'm getting some progress so hopefully I'll have this resolved.

WOOOT! I am so excited, I have not been able to use this because by the time I unlocked the parts I was restarting due to the update. Anyhow I don't have much in the way of programming experiance but I can buy you a beer/energy drink/dinner whatever... if ya let me know were to send it :P that is about the extent of the help that I can offer.

We are making SOME progress. I have a person helping me out that I will leave nameless so people won't badger him while we work on the issue. We can get the parts moving but the orientation of the origin gets tossed out the window.

Apologies it was less an ultimatum and more of a sleep deprived aggravation it is a great mod and i had used it i was up all night after getting KMP working so a friend and I could play and after i got that working i backed it up and started playing non KMP and when i grabbed this mod it wasnt working and skimming threw the thread i guess i missed the actually fact that it was broken i just didnt understand why it went from working to not lol....after getting some rest and seeing the responses im a lil less aggravated seeing that its an issue with the mod and not that I just screwed it up witch is what i figured and if that was the case was going to uninstall and re install anyway. Should have put in there i was on a kerbal binge LOL

Doing what I can. I don't have a lot of free time which has been a huge help from others.

no worries sirkut ,we are all behind you and the rest of the team 100%. take your time, sort it all out and release the epicness! :)

I don't see an ultimatum, so much as somebody willing to walk away and deprive themselves of something pretty cool because they're too proud to ask for help directly, or to put forth any effort into going back over what others have already helped bring to light on the exact same situation.

Neither an ultimatum or walking away...totally love the game just prolly needed some sleep and a break from messing with it i couldnt find on the forums where it said the version was actually broke all i could find were the praises of how it worked and i knew it did so the combination of both just made me go fuuuuuuuuu i just want to build a sweet s with these parts again why dosent it work now lol

Also Sirkut your work is awesome and i cant wait to get back to building crazy contraptions with your parts

Edited by Resinnhaze

Ignore people like him thinks he's so entitled

Just keep doing what your doing!

I for one will patiently wait and enjoy the game in the meantime

ouch entitled...not so much just kinda tired and was unable to find anything about it after hours of probing the forums. Mind you also new to the forum so not sure exactly where to look, forum title said broken but most comments were how awesome it worked so my sleepy brain went, OMG whats going on just shout for help and go to sleep someone will prolly respond..wakeing up and seeing these helped and i could possibly worded my post dif but like i said mad tired and already brain fried trying to fix it myself patently waiting now

Please forgive me if this question has been addressed / answered.

Is it possible to have a motorized part made to toggle to be on / off instead of a "momentary" command that works the motor only while your holding down the button?

I'm hoping to make a (not really sure what to call it) rotating frame for artifical gravity on my space station. I can use a free turning docking washer and small rocket motors to make it work, but then when you accelerate the game (",." keys) it stops rotating. I would like to be able to take a motorized docking washer (I think that's what it is called) and be able to simply turn it on and have it motorize the frame by itself. Understandably the unit would probaly keep spinning faster and faster, so it needs to be goverened also. That way I can have my rotating frame, accelerate the game and when I go back to normal speed the frame would still be rotating.

Clear as mud? :D

Is it possible to have a motorized part made to toggle to be on / off instead of a "momentary" command that works the motor only while your holding down the button?

I'm hoping to make a (not really sure what to call it) rotating frame for artifical gravity on my space station. I can use a free turning docking washer and small rocket motors to make it work, but then when you accelerate the game (",." keys) it stops rotating. I would like to be able to take a motorized docking washer (I think that's what it is called) and be able to simply turn it on and have it motorize the frame by itself. Understandably the unit would probaly keep spinning faster and faster, so it needs to be goverened also. That way I can have my rotating frame, accelerate the game and when I go back to normal speed the frame would still be rotating.

I'm not sure about this but it may be possible to get the effect you desire using an action group and the IR parts "Move +" and "Move -" actions. It seemed to me that once activated via action group it would keep moving indefinitely. I'm pretty sure I accidentally created a behavior similar to what you are looking for when first using IR via action groups instead of the servo control. I've updated to 0.23.5 so I can't whip something up to test and confirm for you presently.

EDIT: I have no idea how time dilation will impact the rotation but I think it worked at 1x at least.

Assuming you're running 0.23, each rotatron part has toggleable Move+ and Move- action group commands that you can configure. I've used these many times for continuous rotation of parts:

Note that you can't time warp with these active otherwise your craft WILL explode!!

Edit: Ninja'd

If you plan to place your centrifuge in the middle of a station or craft you can use a powered washer on both sides of the rotating hub. Just be sure to invert the motor on one of the washers in the VAB. If you don't, the motors will fight each other and nothing will move.

Assuming you're running 0.23, each rotatron part has toggleable Move+ and Move- action group commands that you can configure. I've used these many times for continuous rotation of parts:

[...snip]

Note that you can't time warp with these active otherwise your craft WILL explode!!

Edit: Ninja'd

Holy crap, that's some ingenuity, even if not very useful. Put that thing on reddit or I will! :D

Guys are looking like they are having fun.

Thanks for the replies! That carnival ride (or Kerbalnaught training machine) is insane! Wish I had half that imagination! Still running .23 so I'll experiment with it soon.

Thanks for the entertainment!

Hey sirkut, I dug into to code a bit as well and thought I'd share my results as my approach may have differed from yours.

I went down the road of modifying the existing joint rather than creating a replacement. (did you find a way to replace it? seems to be read-only).

I was able to get a basic hinge working properly and rotating from correct origin. But only if it was attached in-line.

Joint.anchor and Joint.connectedAnchor both required modification as follows:

attachJoint..SetBreakingForces(breakingForce, breakingTorque);
..... mod all the assignments to use attachJoint.Joint. ....
attachJoint.Joint.anchor = attachJoint.Joint.anchor + (-attachJoint.Joint.connectedAnchor);
attachJoint.Joint.connectedAnchor = Vector3.zero;

However when attached radially, this falls apart and the direction of rotation is completely off. I suspect I ran into the same roadblock as you did on this front.

My working theory (correct me if I am wrong) is that all of the IR code is expecting a joint that is normalized to the orientation of the parent part as occured in the past when a new joint was created. So when the new joint was created, it's local transform was remained zero relative to the new parent. However when I modify the existing joint into an IR joint, the transform remains as is.

The issue here is you can't just zero out the transform of the existing joint because the attached parts will transform as well.

What I'm planning to try tonight is to clear the joint transform and then apply the negative of that transform to the attached parts (hopefully returning them to where they belong.

Thoughts? BTW if you care to share your findings, I'd be happy to help but I understand if your too busy working on it to do a brain dump.

Good luck.

Hey sirkut, I dug into to code a bit as well and thought I'd share my results as my approach may have differed from yours.

I went down the road of modifying the existing joint rather than creating a replacement. (did you find a way to replace it? seems to be read-only).

I was able to get a basic hinge working properly and rotating from correct origin. But only if it was attached in-line.

Joint.anchor and Joint.connectedAnchor both required modification as follows:

attachJoint..SetBreakingForces(breakingForce, breakingTorque);
..... mod all the assignments to use attachJoint.Joint. ....
attachJoint.Joint.anchor = attachJoint.Joint.anchor + (-attachJoint.Joint.connectedAnchor);
attachJoint.Joint.connectedAnchor = Vector3.zero;

However when attached radially, this falls apart and the direction of rotation is completely off. I suspect I ran into the same roadblock as you did on this front.

My working theory (correct me if I am wrong) is that all of the IR code is expecting a joint that is normalized to the orientation of the parent part as occured in the past when a new joint was created. So when the new joint was created, it's local transform was remained zero relative to the new parent. However when I modify the existing joint into an IR joint, the transform remains as is.

The issue here is you can't just zero out the transform of the existing joint because the attached parts will transform as well.

What I'm planning to try tonight is to clear the joint transform and then apply the negative of that transform to the attached parts (hopefully returning them to where they belong.

Thoughts? BTW if you care to share your findings, I'd be happy to help but I understand if your too busy working on it to do a brain dump.

Good luck.

That's the same issue we are discovering. The orientation gets out of alignment and causes weird things. I currently have a deadline on a project for work that I must complete so I will have to hold off looking at it for at least a day.

ouch entitled...not so much just kinda tired and was unable to find anything about it after hours of probing the forums. Mind you also new to the forum so not sure exactly where to look, forum title said broken but most comments were how awesome it worked so my sleepy brain went, OMG whats going on just shout for help and go to sleep someone will prolly respond..wakeing up and seeing these helped and i could possibly worded my post dif but like i said mad tired and already brain fried trying to fix it myself patently waiting now

Look man I'm sorry I was rude as well too many trolls these days

Glad you realize the mistake though

A word of advice though don't order mod authors around their doing this because they want to not because they have to and threatening to uninstall a broken mod just makes you seem stupid which I doubt you are

Hey there, two questions. I've already asked in the Toolbar thread about this and they redirected me here. I've got the latest versions of both IR and the Toolbar, but when I've got IR pieces added to a craft either in the VAB or in flight, I don't get an IR button on my toolbar. Anyone know why that would be?

And second, is there a video or illustration somewhere of how to assemble the telescoping pistons? I've been fiddling around with them in every combination and orientation I can think of, but I can't get them to work properly. Thanks for the time!

Edit: Well, I've sorta figured out the pistons, but should I have to enable clipping via the debug menu in order to add the smallest 1/4 size piston onto a stack? Without it I could only add the A and B pieces.

Edited by Boomerang

Hey there, two questions. I've already asked in the Toolbar thread about this and they redirected me here. I've got the latest versions of both IR and the Toolbar, but when I've got IR pieces added to a craft either in the VAB or in flight, I don't get an IR button on my toolbar. Anyone know why that would be?

And second, is there a video or illustration somewhere of how to assemble the telescoping pistons? I've been fiddling around with them in every combination and orientation I can think of, but I can't get them to work properly. Thanks for the time!

IR is broken ATM sirkut is busy with RL and is working on fixing it, give him some time.

Edit: Well, I've sorta figured out the pistons, but should I have to enable clipping via the debug menu in order to add the smallest 1/4 size piston onto a stack? Without it I could only add the A and B pieces.

And as the thread says, its broken in currentksp so i dont know why you even ask?

Sirkut thanks for keeping at it, so many love to play ksp with this mod but rl goes before ksp so take your time =)