[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

But...if it works...

...and works with existing saves. Fortunately I only have one craft out with IR parts. Will have to undock and dispose of it (so the tanker it's docked to won't also get deleted) prior to going to .23.5 if it won't be compatible with the updated IR.

I'm pretty lucky in that regard. I just fired-up a new game for 23.5 so I've got none of those issues. (Typically I just play on the same version for a while and then start a new game anyway just to avoid these issues.)

I'm going through and editing all the parts I use on a regular basis, and the rest, oh well. If I put it on and it doesn't work right, I can always edit it fixed. Those less savvy may need someone to do it for them, however.

Apparently I myself am one of those less savvy people. Editing the configs to fix the rotation and translation axis is easy. Fixing the odd translation of the moving parts that happens as soon as physics starts...yeah I'm lost.

Instead of explaining, I'll do one better. Pictures! :D Not all the parts have problems like this. From what I can tell the telescopic pistons don't but the attachment nodes look wrong to me (keep in mind that I've not used robotics since...erm...at least v0.19 or v0.20 of KSP, can't recall):

QY338RN.jpg

Here's what the adjustable rail looks like in the VAB:

WNlcKt4.jpg

And here's what it looks like after physics starts. You can see the rail moved (why doesn't this thing have attachement nodes anyway?):

JlxfW2D.jpg

Other parts that do this (or something like it) include the closed and open powered hinges, the motor intended for VTOL engines and both washers. All of this is happening with omghull's version.

it doesn't have nodes because that's not what it's for. it's surface attachable, so you put radial stuff on it. i was just getting used to the parts myself when 23.5 hit so im not sure, but i think the gantry rail does the same thing but has nodes.

So I'm a little confused, it's working now? Or it's working but needs lots of fiddling to get going?I can edit a .cfg but I generally don't know what I'm doing unless it's clearly labelled, so could I get this going?

No it's still not working. Some things still need to be done.

I dunno. Try it with omghull's fixes. Maybe the odd behaviour when physics starts is on my end for some reason. I doubt it, as I took those in a vanilla test copy of KSP, but it's possible.

Loppnessmosnta: That'd explain it. I got confused by the circular nobby bit at one end of the model. It looks to me like that's where it should attach.

I dunno. Try it with omghull's fixes. Maybe the odd behaviour when physics starts is on my end for some reason. I doubt it, as I took those in a vanilla test copy of KSP, but it's possible.

Loppnessmosnta: That'd explain it. I got confused by the circular nobby bit at one end of the model. It looks to me like that's where it should attach.

It's not just on your end. I noticed last night it did it on several things, like the hinges falling apart, et cetera. I think it is a matter of placement position, but I could be wrong. As far as nodes are concerned, yes, the nodes look off on the pistons, and I was wondering the same last night after looking at them. I haven't used this mod in a while (when KSP first hit early release) so my memory is a bit hazy on what it looked like then.

The telescoping pistons are supposed to have their attach nodes embedded. when you get to the smaller sizes you may have to enable parts clipping to stack them. It's to make them look flush when they are together.

It's not just on your end. I noticed last night it did it on several things, like the hinges falling apart, et cetera. I think it is a matter of placement position, but I could be wrong. As far as nodes are concerned, yes, the nodes look off on the pistons, and I was wondering the same last night after looking at them. I haven't used this mod in a while (when KSP first hit early release) so my memory is a bit hazy on what it looked like then.

That's not something that can be fixed with a cfg tweaking, is it... :(

The telescoping pistons are supposed to have their attach nodes embedded. when you get to the smaller sizes you may have to enable parts clipping to stack them. It's to make them look flush when they are together.

Well that explains it. I was trying to stack them without part clipping. Silly me.

idk i made a stack of pistons w/o part clipping. it's not always necessary. you have to get the nodes just right, though. each piston should extend a new node a bit out from the ship. it's kinda tricky; once i had it built, i turned it into a sub-assembly. but then i forgot to rescue my ships and assemblies when i made a new save :(

The best way to get those pistons working without turning on part clipping is to place the middle sized one somewhere on your craft, then clip the smallest piston into it, it can be a bit tricky, sometimes you need to move it away and then back into place a few times until it turns green.

Then place the largest piston, select the connected middle and small pistons and use the same process to attach them to the largest piston, then you can save them as a subassembly.

Small update. I'm really close to getting it to work correctly. Some of the translations are a little screwy for parts that don't rotate and I almost have all the rotational parts moving correctly. There's some issues with certain attachment methods (surface versus node OR part vs pod connection).

Small update. I'm really close to getting it to work correctly. Some of the translations are a little screwy for parts that don't rotate and I almost have all the rotational parts moving correctly. There's some issues with certain attachment methods (surface versus node OR part vs pod connection).

If you need manual labor all you have to do is ask. Willing to help if you instruct the procedure.

I will be able to give it a full work over as well, I spend the better part of my day playing KSP ... Also, I looked for that donate button you mentioned putting up, but I have not found it, if you pm me your email, I can send you beer/energydrink/taco hell money, it may not be much but it is surely a token of my appreciation.