[Showcase] Post your Moon/Planet Landers Thread / Lander building guide.

Am I missing something? Why do so many people use these gold-orange Ring Tanks? I checked their numbers, and it seems they have a higher Container weight - to - Fuel weight ratio than anything else. Seems to me they would be nothing but detrimental. Or did I misread the specs?

They increase your part count and points of failure in the craft, so it's extra mysterious.

They're low-profile and can be arranged in interesting ways.

That's what part clipping is for... which, for those that think part clipping is cheating, is exactly what those donuts do with every part except maybe cubic octags. /shrug

I think I already posted this somewhere, but here you go: RxYBTSq.png It has a counterweight tank on the other side to act as a counterweight for the rover. This tank is kept empty after dropping the lander. The engine is an LVT-30 (yes I did use part clipping).

• 1 month later...

This is my bread and butter lander. A single stage to surface/single stage to orbit lander for three Kerbanauts, fully equipped with all science tools. Although it has parachutes, it has enough fuel to land on and ascend from Duna (in fact, I never used the parachutes). Stands firmly even on sloping ground.

Has enough thrust but not enough fuel to ascend from Kerbin/Laythe though. Maybe I will build a second and larger version with a rover attached to the bottom.

Lb0YFKB.jpg

XPUwq4W.jpg

Kaa8uol.jpg

I would gather that the ring on top, just below the atmo nose cone, is a sensor cluster, but it doesn't look quite like HBI's mod. Are you using something different? I also prefer the all-in-one cluster of scientific instruments.

Here's another tiny lander I've built. It uses a few mod parts, but it is capable of landing from Münar/Minmunar orbit and returning to Kerbin from the lunar surface. Behold, the Super Flea!

SuperFlea_zps41acd224.png

Edited by HeadHunter67

I would gather that the ring on top, just below the atmo nose cone, is a sensor cluster, but it doesn't look quite like HBI's mod. Are you using something different? I also prefer the all-in-one cluster of scientific instruments.

The ring is a RealChute parachute (main and drogue) from the RealChute mod. The scientific instruments are all on the back side, except for the goo canisters.

Edited by Carraux

Here's the album in which I relived Apollo.

I have a new and more L.E.M like lander from when I did this, but I'm using RSS now and the screenshots of that lander are lost.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NNX1E

And here's my modern day styled mission to Minmus and back (Constellation styled)

http://imgur.com/gallery/bZTiB

Sorry, I don't know how to post albums yet.

Gosh darnit!

LADEE landed on Mun. (Was not designed to do so.)

kz3WA4a.jpg

Simple lander on Minmus based upon the same LADEE launcher design.

bsOBUav.jpg

Manned simple lander on Minmus;

h669f6P.jpg

The demo lander on Mun. Lots of power. And, as predicted, lots of fuel left.

QcmRBwb.jpg

1k9i7KN.jpg

Modified Demo Lander. Should be more fuel left but I had to use extra fuel to locate a flat enough place to land.

iLvdAuI.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.