[Showcase] Post your Moon/Planet Landers Thread / Lander building guide.

Here is my FIRST Mun lander, the MunBound MKIII, And was not an easy thing to fly... (it gave me a real hard time cos that was the first time I had attempted a Mun landing too!:P)

FpmP29P.png

Here is Jeb and Bob chilling in front of the MunBound MKIII

With the Duna window still over 350 days away I started playing with prototype landers. Here's my latest...

DBaseLaunch.jpg

DBaseDuna.jpg

DBaseUnpack.jpg

DBaseAllDone.png

I said, we don't need the cargo bays but we do need parachutes. They said, we don't need no stinking parachutes but we most definitely need the space to store all our snacks.

Guess who won?

Not sure if I'll keep the orbital (could also be landed, possibly on Ike) remote power station.

btw. I do not recommend the crane idea to anyone with ocd :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Here is my first 2-stage munar lander, fully equiped with science equipment. 1-stage has enough delta-V to transfer, orbit, land on any location and start the re-orbit of the mun. the 0-stage takes care of returning to kerbin, with 500 extra delta-V. Next step is to put a rover on it.

yS00dqc.png

Here's a VAB pics, png is terrible in dark areas

uTdstuD.png

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Muna 1! A lander powerful enough to 'hop' across several biomes! Currently only available for small, non-atmospheric muns.

It uses a highly complex procedure known as 'decoupling' to eject the un-necessary weight of the science module on liftoff, providing a major advantage over many landers. 

And, though it may not look like it, it is 100% re-entry safe, and contains a basic probe core to assist piloting.

Fig 1: Upon landing, the scientist goes out to collect data. They then store the data in the command module.

Fig 2: Once the sciencing is finished, they detach the science module.

Fig 3: Then, the Muna takes off. The biome-hopping still isn't perfected, so future versions (Muna 2 probably)

All designs in this forum post kopyright by Wernher Von Kerman, Head of Research, Kerbal Aerospace Organisation.

Edited by Osmium

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, eagle92lightning said:

Hi. I am new to ksp but I have a very ambitious project planned. Project Gemini is my plan to put Kerbalkind on Eve. Any Lander tips for Eve?

To land on Eve, you only need some parachutes and lander legs, not too much.

5 minutes ago, NSEP said:

To land on Eve, you only need some parachutes and lander legs, not too much.

really WOW. I figured since it is pretty much KSP's Venus it would need a lot more. But what about the pressure exerted on the craft from the atmosphere wouldn't it break normal Lander legs. And when I am entering the atmosphere should I put heat shields on the Lander?

42 minutes ago, eagle92lightning said:

really WOW. I figured since it is pretty much KSP's Venus it would need a lot more. But what about the pressure exerted on the craft from the atmosphere wouldn't it break normal Lander legs. And when I am entering the atmosphere should I put heat shields on the Lander?

The atmosphere would not break lander legs, Eve's atmosphere is just gas after all! And heat shields are required, but if you have a spaceplane, you dont need heat shields.

Just now, NSEP said:

The atmosphere would not break lander legs, Eve's atmosphere is just gas after all! And heat shields are required, but if you have a spaceplane, you dont need heat shields.

Awsome! I plan using kerbodyne plus and shadowworks for this mission and thanks for the help! As soon as I get KSP downloaded I will post pictures of the Lander tests.

Just now, eagle92lightning said:

Awsome! I plan using kerbodyne plus and shadowworks for this mission and thanks for the help! As soon as I get KSP downloaded I will post pictures of the Lander tests.

No problem! Looking forward to what you make!

Love building landers. Here are a couple of mine.

"Naero" a non-atmospheric lander I used to scour the surface of Minmus for delicious science:

screenshot41.png

screenshot40.png

"Robic" an as yet untested Duna lander:

screenshot43.png

screenshot44.png

And "Endurance", an in-development nuclear mun lander:

screenshot46.png

screenshot47.png

Edited by CdrFuzz
replaced duplicate image

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.