[Showcase] Post your Moon/Planet Landers Thread / Lander building guide.

That pic was sitting around a while - this is the current version that I like better.  Cabin and docking port on bottom to save a few parts and make it CLS-compatible, twin engines to gain enough TWR for Duna and Moho, more fuel to stay well over 3km/s dV.  6.8t, 48 parts.

ATvtI9U.jpg

Dragonfly Micro-Lander

I don't build all-in-one landers anymore (at least not for the Mun and Minmus; I haven't landed on anything else yet.) Instead, I use a robotic lifting module with a docking port on the bottom that I can attach various payloads to.

Here it is with a crew landing module:

NSEWThq.png

Here it is with a fuel transport module (with extra engines on the tank to give it a better TWR when fully loaded):

quTLvqc.png

Here it is with a surface science module:

8aOiD6d.png

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

pS5x1Qs.jpg

vjVuNCP.jpg

My mimic of the Constellation program's Altair lander. It's a two-stage landing vehicle designed initially for the Mun but with room for upgrades. The base modules in the background of the above image were all landed using Altair descent stages.

EtGIAos.jpg

DpF5uhs.jpg

W7mIye4.jpg

UijjyNJ.jpg

gRhm4Q9.jpg

Is this lander nodded and if not ma I have a kerbalx link to it?

For the Mun, I use this: RDXJ0iQ.png

It's a bit outdated, and I plan to replace it soon.

Pics:

Spoiler

Undocking in Munar orbit:C4QklJx.png

Descending:Rjq2Gl7.png

Touchdown!3pKyCaM.png

Obligatory picture:FJQm6ou.png

Ascending:XTxfaAz.png

Approaching CSM:pn6UE8b.png

Full mission report here:

I'm using these for my Minmus landings, the Minmus Reusable Lander (MRL):GZgiQte.png

Pics:

Spoiler

Launch (this particular MRL is called Cygnus):LL0usNR.png

Trans-Minmus injection:GJJ23Bw.png

In orbit around Minmus:CXsZocZ.png

Descending:PESI69m.png

Touchdown! Four one-ton KIS/KAS anchors keep the MRL securely on the ground:wLzjk1W.png

Full mission report here:

13 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

This is my stock Altair style Mun lander.  It should easily do Dres, Ike, Minmus and those three Jool moons as well.

EEZM5NQ.png

ZlBMsCI.png

IlHUvlh.png

It has all the stock science equipment and a small rover with a surface scanning module on it.

13 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

This is my stock Altair style Mun lander.  It should easily do Dres, Ike, Minmus and those three Jool moons as well.

EEZM5NQ.png

ZlBMsCI.png

IlHUvlh.png

It has all the stock science equipment and a small rover with a surface scanning module on it.

Can I have a kerbalx link?

18 hours ago, Jimmy Stiff-Fingers said:

Does such a thing as overkill exist in KSP? :wink:

By the way, that cone structure is not a fuel tank, just to be clear. It is a fairing that houses the ascent part.

In this case yes yes it does

I'm not trying to be annoying or something. I quite suck at ksp actually and I'd like to hear some constructive feedback. I'm actually a pretty horrible pilot and I want to make sure my Kerbals can survive, have enough supplies for at least a couple of days and the fact that I do not fly craft that I consider ugly is also a big limitation for me.

I kinda liked this design because it reminded me of the MAV from the Martian.

Edited by Jimmy Stiff-Fingers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.