[Showcase] Post your Moon/Planet Landers Thread / Lander building guide.

22 hours ago, Jimmy Stiff-Fingers said:

I'm not trying to be annoying or something. I quite suck at ksp actually and I'd like to hear some constructive feedback. I'm actually a pretty horrible pilot and I want to make sure my Kerbals can survive, have enough supplies for at least a couple of days and the fact that I do not fly craft that I consider ugly is also a big limitation for me.

I kinda liked this design because it reminded me of the MAV from the Martian.

I under stand Mechjeb 2 did my first lunar landing 

On 3/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Thor Wotansen said:

Here's the Altair lander with Ares V

And here's the Orion capsule with the Ares I

@Thor Wotansen Any input on how to break up the Altair Lander with Ares V and get some of your extra pieces and parts separated while in flight would be awesome on those KerbalX files? I downloaded the first one linked and can't for the life of me figure out how to separate the various parts IF they do come apart.

10 hours ago, reschke said:

@Thor Wotansen Any input on how to break up the Altair Lander with Ares V and get some of your extra pieces and parts separated while in flight would be awesome on those KerbalX files? I downloaded the first one linked and can't for the life of me figure out how to separate the various parts IF they do come apart.

All the staging is done with decouplers if that's what you mean.  The bit that the Altair lander attaches to the transfer stage decoupler is the Mk 2 to Mk 1 adapter.  Once you've landed and done your munar (or whichever body) excursion, simply deactivate your landing stage engines, throttle up and stage.  The ascent module will do it's thing.

Just for clarification, the second stage of the Ares V rocket is meant to put the Altair lander and docked Orion capsule on Mun intercept.  The Altair lander has enough fuel to preform the munar insertion burn and then the landing.  The Orion capsule is left in orbit and once the crew returns from the Mun in the Altair ascent stage, they dock with it and return to Kerbin on its engine.  I suggest checking out the imgur album I made on the mission profile, which is on the KerbalX page for both craft files and also here.

Well here's a reusable Duna lander, designed to ferry 6 Kerbals between the surface and a nuclear powered mothership. The air brakes lower terminal velocity to ~200 m/s fully fueled, a load state it will not normally be in during descent.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024:640
Air brakes shown extended. Not shown: refueling port.

And I guess this also counts as a "lander", though its scope goes somewhat beyond that. This will take a crew of 6 on a round trip between the surface of the Mun and LKO, transferring to and from a simple SSTO for launch and landing. The awkward layout is dictated by the unreasonable mass of the Mk2 Lander Can and PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container (5 t without monopropellant); 3 Mk1 Crew Cabins and BZ-52 Radial Attachment Points are much lighter (3.12 t), though they require a probe core for control. The radially attached parts also help increase drag for aerobraking.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024:640
Still not shown: refueling port.

• 2 months later...
On 27/03/2017 at 3:08 AM, Jens Lyn IV said:

Well here's a reusable Duna lander, designed to ferry 6 Kerbals between the surface and a nuclear powered mothership. The air brakes lower terminal velocity to ~200 m/s fully fueled, a load state it will not normally be in during descent.

Air brakes shown extended. Not shown: refueling port.

And I guess this also counts as a "lander", though its scope goes somewhat beyond that. This will take a crew of 6 on a round trip between the surface of the Mun and LKO, transferring to and from a simple SSTO for launch and landing. The awkward layout is dictated by the unreasonable mass of the Mk2 Lander Can and PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container (5 t without monopropellant); 3 Mk1 Crew Cabins and BZ-52 Radial Attachment Points are much lighter (3.12 t), though they require a probe core for control. The radially attached parts also help increase drag for aerobraking.

Still not shown: refueling port.

Whenever i see something reusable, i INITIATE ULTIMATE NERD MODE. Nice crafts by the way.

• 1 month later...

This is the Hopper Jr. XL Solo, the latest in a series of VTOL capable landers I have made. It was originally designed to fit inside an OPT large cargo bay, but an earlier and lighter design could fit in the MK2 Cargo Bay. It has rotatable and extensible engines to be able to operate in various configurations. With it's engines in the extended and rear-facing configuration it can tow a large booster section without the exhaust becoming occluded. It can also face them forward to burn retrograde while facing prograde. For landing, it can rotate its engines downward in order to land VTOL style. The engines are perfectly balanced using RCS Balancer in all configurations. It has around 7000Dv.

Mods used: B9 Aerospace, RLA Stockalike, Near Future Electrical, Infernal Robotics, Tweakscale, Procedural Parts, Ven's Stock Revamp, Hullcam VDS, Stockalike Surface-mount Lights.

IMGR Album

NnrI7pj.png

DZ70O34.png

Wzj6Jc4.png

x0UT6FL.png

xFcTTUf.png

PnMKpoX.png

Edited by desepticon

• 3 weeks later...

So in my ongoing effort to leave Moho behind and never return to it again I've built yet another ship to send to Moho.

Vl7uFDL.png

It's a fairly simple lander that can carry two people to the surface and back again. It has legs for surface landings and a downward-facing Clamp-O-Tron for docking with surface installations. I'm going to leave it docked with my orbital fuel depot on Moho so that if I do take on a mission that requires landing there I can be there and home fairly quickly (since one of the relatively few nice things about Moho is how short the commute is, despite the dV cost being ginormous.)

KerbalX link

• 1 year later...

uZq5MPn.jpg

Working prototype of the Dysnomia lander, with its Wal descent stage attached. Designed for use with Kerbalism, and with planets and orbits rescaled by a factor of 3.2x. It will be the landing vehicle of ERIS, which is intended to explore Urlum's moons. At this scale, Wal is not dissimilar from Tylo or Slate at the stock scale - it has similar delta-v requirements (actually somewhat higher due to the equatorial ridge necessitating a higher minimum orbit), and most landing vehicles will need a dedicated descent stage for it even if they are designed to be single-stage for the gas planet's other moons. I still have yet to design a nice Tylo lander for this scale.

Dysnomia (with its descent stage) can handle Wal, just barely, making it the most powerful lander I have made thus far for a moon at 3.2x scale.

Edited by septemberWaves

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.