[Showcase] Post your Moon/Planet Landers Thread / Lander building guide.

Oh yeah wow that's a very interesting topic you got there. And the design calls for a lot of complexity too. But I'm sure those interested in this will find this a refreshing new challenge. Can't wait to see what you have in mind put into the VAB. :) I'll see what my mind will think up too. . . but for now, I gotta get some shut-eye. :D

I've been sticking to pretty much a simple, elegant design for getting a single kerbal on different worlds. It can get to Mun and Minmus and have plenty of fuel for a return trip. I've also managed to land one on Duna, though it ended up toppling over so even if it had enough fuel it wouldn't be able to take off.

5C2925C522076A45798D717C17FD04BF8AC9CCC7

23B7B2E26C559D5779162744CF3A6672DE484DEC

4D7999085E9098ED482655425423B329116857AF

3C3B12CFF5907F66C61BE76CBC4A9D7EB248E41C

08TlbRO.png

One of my Kerbalnauts standing next to the Haruspex lander on Ike.

And here's the two-man Altus MkIII lander on Duna. Being quite large, this one took some complicated aerobraking to land safely without burning up too much fuel, but was able to descend, land, and then rendezvous again with an orbiter 90km above Duna. Though successful, future manned missions to Duna will probably use smaller landers and pack parachutes.

Using Duna's atmosphere to brake from orbital velocity (the lander actually had to ascend after this to avoid crashing into higher terrain):

bhpbD5j.png

Landed on Duna's surface, panels deployed:

dZC72My.png

Ascent from Duna:

ndpR2la.png

Docking with the orbiter:

SSWhdDB.png

The lander was left parked in orbit while the orbiter is currently waiting for a transfer window back to Kerbin. Meanwhile, back on Kerbin, components for a manned mission to Gilly and a series of probes to Jool's moons are starting to be assembled in orbit.

Edited by narhiril
image links didn't work

Very nice designs guys. :D It's kinda cool too to look at those landers that don't have that much aesthetics but get the job done efficiently, as if you guys were in a "space race" with another person. :)

If it works, it's beautiful. :D

Pangolin: A massive, 2-man (3-man, for someone who has a death wish), no-frills lander, operating with a "surplus-fuel-is-better" principle in mind. Current flagship lander. All stock! :D

Videos from Mun Mission:

Next stop would be Minmus. Then Dres (or Duna).

Other (and older) landers:

Spider Lander/Caterpillar Rover:

--

Disaster Lander (MOD-HEAVY)::

--
--
--

Disaster Derivative (MOD-HEAVY):

--
--
--

Curiosity-Style Prototype (MOD-HEAVY):

--
--

Some videos there are 5 (or 10)+ minutes long, so up to you.

Edited by Flixxbeatz

I am extremely new to KSP and completed my first Mun landing last night. The simple, yet effective Kerbal Landr!

zxdjNdS.jpg

Followed tonight by a Minmus landing that went slightly bad... but Jeb survived and I actually can get it back to Kerbin thanks to the low gravity! :)

VBucmmg.jpg

Who says landings have to be perfect? Making history the FUN way!

Not the best picture or lander as i'm still kind of new to the game but it got me to the Mun,

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/613896266550980648/150A8F39CDC1891CB09584D843CA695E0E89EA5B/

rest of my screenshots can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jscheiben/screenshots/

No no, it looks cool. :D Was the rover with the lander when they touched down?

I'm releasing my rover-concealing lander. The only testing I've done is on the launch pad with the rover ejection mechanism, which works pretty well.

hHwmSsK.jpg

Action Groups:

2 - Detach Rovers. (Note: This also activates the brakes on one set of wheels on each rover, to keep them from rolling away.)

3 - Detach rover hatches -- this exposes the command seats, which allow two Kerbals to sit in tandem. I suggest hitting this after landing, but before detaching the rovers.

I'm releasing it on an "as is" basis. If there are any major issues, let me know.

Craft:

http://www./view/jaayl8kli5e4uvv/Cubezor.craft

No no, it looks cool. :D Was the rover with the lander when they touched down?

Nah, rover was an after thought. Working on getting a space plane atm but not working so well :S . 2nd link has my crown jewel in it. It's a refueling ship for longer flights.

I'm releasing my rover-concealing lander. The only testing I've done is on the launch pad with the rover ejection mechanism, which works pretty well.

hHwmSsK.jpg

Action Groups:

2 - Detach Rovers. (Note: This also activates the brakes on one set of wheels on each rover, to keep them from rolling away.)

3 - Detach rover hatches -- this exposes the command seats, which allow two Kerbals to sit in tandem. I suggest hitting this after landing, but before detaching the rovers.

I'm releasing it on an "as is" basis. If there are any major issues, let me know.

Craft:

http://www./view/jaayl8kli5e4uvv/Cubezor.craft

Whoa-hoho, the design's going way faster than I was expecting. :0.0: The only thing left now is. . . to make a matching CSM and send that beauty to a moon. :D

Here's my more monolithic design for a lander. I always feel bad for the man/kerbal that gets stuck behind piloting the command ship! I also wanted something that I could re-purpose for later missions. So, the 'tank' doubles as a station core and the extra bottom engines as (hopefully useful) a tug.

IPS One and the High Flyer Core w/Tug

FGTRGtq.jpg

4nqMG5F.png

INFN0Vj.jpg

YhdYsBV.png

I was quite pleasantly surprised that I was able to do the Duna landing basically flawlessly on the first try. It was my first Duna landing too! Once the IPS One re-docked with Fly Higher 2, (1 is in orbit around Kerbin) it re-fueled and landed on Ike. Plan to re-fuel again and head to Dres before heading back to Kerbin to pick up another High Flyer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.