3 Planet Challenge

So... This is a challenge to fly to and land on 3 different planets/celestial bodies.

Sounds easy, right?

Except it all has to be done with one launch. No refueling.

Rules:

1. Only one launch is allowed for this mission. You cannot launch a vehicle in two parts and then connect them in space.
  2. No refueling. You are not allowed to dock at a space station orbiting any celestial body. You can, however, have a main ship and a lander (or two or three or four) that separate and then dock together, as long as they are all launched on the same rocket. Note: Docking back together is not mandatory, they can all fly themselves home. Or sit there and await pickup later.
  3. You must make it back to Kerbin afterwards.
  4. This is a MANNED mission. However, if your vehicle separates into two parts (both launched on the same launch vehicle) the non-lander stage can be probe powered.
  5. Entering the SOI of a planet does NOT count as traveling to that system. You must land on it or one of its moons.
  6. You must exit the kerbin system (You can land on the Mun or Minmus, first, however, for a celestial body)
  7. No repeats. You can't just go to Ike, then to Pol, then Bop, then Pol, then Bop, then Pol. That would ruin the Leaderboard.
  8. For your entry to be accepted, there must pictures/video documenting your flight.
  9. No debug menu (this should be obvious, what is a challenge when cheats are allowed?)

Before anybody asks, I don't care how you do it as long as it doesn't exploit any glitches.

Mods are allowed if I deem them worthy (that is, not overpowered) and will be contending for a separate leaderboard.

Scoring:

+0 for Kerbin system

+2 for Mun

+1 for Minmus

+4 for Eve system

+15 for Eve

+1 for Gilly

+5 for Duna system

+3 for Duna

+2 for Ike

+7 for Jool system

+OVER 9000! for Jool (How will anybody ever land here, let alone return? Kraken eats their faces. Or atmosphere. Either one.)

+5 for Laythe

+3 for Vall

+7 for Tylo

+1 for Bop

+1 for Pol

+8.5 for Eeloo

+5 for Dres

+6 for Moho

To find your score: ((minimum kerbals per destination) * 2^(extra celestial bodies)) * (base score calculated above)

Extra planets are any extra celestial bodies you traveled to and landed on after the first three.

Minimum kerbals per destination is the lowest amount of kerbals you had land on a destination. If a ship separates, one goes to Gilly with two kerbals and one goes to Ike with one kerbal, this number equals one. Note: For each kerbal that does not make it back to Kerbin, subtract 2 from this number. (Back to Kerbin means on the surface and able to exit the craft)

Example:

Travel to Jool system (+7 points)

Land on Vall (+3 points)

Travel to Eeloo (+8.5 points)

Travel to Eve system (+4 points)

Land on Gilly (+1 point)

Land on Eve (+15 points)

Travel home (0 points. Required)

So, now I have a base score of 38.5. Say I had 3 kerbals in the Mk1-2. I also traveled to one more planet/celestial body than required. So that makes my score ((3 kerbals) * 2^1) * 38.5 = 231

Leaderboard:

metaphor - 156,672

Chrisd857 - 13

Mod Leaderboard:

Kappa73 - 640

Awards:

Most celestial bodies: metaphor

Lightest craft: -none-

Least parts: -none-

Most systems traveled to: Tie between Kappa73 and Chrisd857

Single stage to win: -none-

Awards are not awarded until at least two people have attempted and posted their score on the respective award.

If you have any suggestions for point changes for celestial bodies, or a suggestion for a new award, just let me know

Edited by mr_yogurt
Clarifications, updating leaderboard, fixing clearly broken example

Question: Could we have a couple landers that come down from the main ship, then come back up to dock with it, as long as they are all launched on the same rocket?

Yeah, that's fine. I edited the rules to make it more clear:

2: No refueling. You are not allowed to dock at a space station orbiting any celestial body. You can, however, have a main ship and a lander (or two or three or four) that separate and then dock together, as long as they are all launched on the same rocket.

Sounds interesting. Are we allowed to use copious amounts of ion engines then?

Yeah. I don't care what methods you use, as long as it's stock. Here's more edited rules, again. (with a little extra section, a clarification isn't necessarily a "rule", per se)

10. No debug menu (this should be obvious, what is a challenge when cheats are allowed?)

Before anybody asks, I don't care how you do it as long as it's stock* and doesn't exploit any glitches.

*MechJeb is allowed, however, those entries will be contending for a MechJeb leaderboard.

Edited by mr_yogurt

I think I might spend the rest of my day setting the bar high for this one. Gonna shoot for Tylo, Laythe, and Vall (those three combined will probably be easier to do than Eve, yet give the same points and don't have to add on two more bodies on top of it). Also might add on Bop and Pol while I'm in the Jool system, and Mun and Minmus are super easy too; I can mop those up in the Kerbin system no problem.

Wish me luck!

Edit: did the math, and it would be easier to go to Eve on both weight and Delta-V requirements (after comparing all of the respective landers), but doing a tour of the Jool system doesn't take much more and will end up paying off with a higher score as well, so I still think I'm making the right decision. Sneak peek at my Jool payload:

c7ttb1Gl.png

Edited by Ekku Zakku

Wish me luck!

Good luck Sir, looks like we are going to have a race! =)

I've started, baby steps like all journeys. Got my rocket in orbit, decoupled and constructed a small runabout and went on and tagged Mun and Minmus. Next stop, Eve! That'll be on another day tho, it's really late and i've been at it for quite some time already.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

just a raw album as of now, i'm going to update it as i go forward, add descriptions and stuff.

Lifting ~277 tonnes into orbit is pretty hard when your rocket keeps falling apart in different places every time, no matter HOW MUCH you strut it up. I'm still working on it though, and I should get it up into orbit today as well as do the Mun and Minmus. I don't know if I'll have time to do anything at Jool since idk how long it'll take me to get over this random unfair disassembly that my launch vehicle keeps doing...

Edit: eh, I think I solved the launcher issues, but didn't bother to finally get the thing into orbit. I got distracted and ended up doing some other stuff, so tomorrow I will make a go for it. Fortunately, I did a test of my interplanetary stage, and it's got more than twice the Delta-V I need, so I might even be able to get a couple more stops in! Maybe Dres or Eeloo, always wanted to go to both of them lol.

Edited by Ekku Zakku

I'm taking a stab at this, but I keep having stupid problems hitting shift when I shouldn't, having my finely tuned orbit messed up when reloading my save file, time-warping through Duna...

Well, hopefully I'll have something sometime this month.

@mr_yogurt - The original post has an inconsistency - score is defined as ((kerbals on mission) * 2^(extra celestial bodies)) * (base score calculated above) but the example shows ((3 kerbals) * 1.5^1) * 23.5 = 141. 141 corresponds with the 1.5 being a 2.

@mr_yogurt - The original post has an inconsistency - score is defined as ((kerbals on mission) * 2^(extra celestial bodies)) * (base score calculated above) but the example shows ((3 kerbals) * 1.5^1) * 23.5 = 141. 141 corresponds with the 1.5 being a 2.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now, along with another inconsistency (if it's actually an inconsistency is debatable, just making it a bit more clear). This probably happened due to the fact that I couldn't make up my mind for 1.5 or 2 for extra bodies traveled to. (There are a lot of things I couldn't make my mind up for)

Mechjeb is allowed, but counts towards a separate leaderboard. Also, why would that affect your decision to participate in a challenge? I participate in challenges with mods allowed yet still participate stock-only; I like the challenge.

I'm tired of seeing that on EVERY SINGLE CHALLENGE THREAD lately, especially ones that are well set up and quite doable in the first place. The guidelines (read, "not rules"!) for that are to prevent IMPOSSIBLE challenges. There's no need for every challenge thread OP to perform their challenge. Sure it's convenient and sets a bar for people to either beat or fall short of, but please just keep your "don't post challenges without trying it first!" suggestions to the threads that actually need it.

On topic, will probably give my rocket a go again tomorrow, and if I get it to orbit, I will set it off on its maiden voyage. No guarantees though XD

Edited by Ekku Zakku

I'm going to have to try this challenge out tomorrow, looks like a ton of fun.

It has been fun indeed, and a superb learning experience. I honestly think i'm a lot better designer after this whole shebang is over. And i must have done like 30 or 40 dockings, most of which have been without rcs, so many manouver nodes planned, and so on.

All that said, i must sadly admit to myself that due to lack of intelligence funding on the reusable lander design, i cannot land it on Laythe and get back up to orbit. So i have to abandon all hopes of doing a complete grand tour, and get back to Kerbin and tally up the score. I will try to salvage what i can landing on few more places i think, but the passion is gone for this mission.

So far i have Mun, Minmus, Eve (!!!), Gilly (which is seriously undervalued on score IMHO), Tylo and Vall. It's not a bad score, but...

Not a bad score? Heh, only planet I've sent a manned mission to the surface of and back was Duna. My lander exploded once I got it back into orbit, leaving me to EVA Jeb out of it and over to the main ship once their orbits came close enough. One of my greatest accomplishments, actually. Really didn't think he'd survive.

Anywho, I'm off to attempt this. Hopefully I'll actually manage something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.