[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just came across a strange situation.  I was using Hyperedit to test a craft, and found that hyperediting a simple craft from the launchpad to an orbit would make it lose the antennas.  If I uninstall RT (was using the Comm 16), hyperedit worked properly.

The message in Flight Results is "Communotron 16 was ripped off by strong airflow"

I've contacted the RT author about this also. This only happens when RT is installed

More testing shows that it only happens when the antenna is extended (all extendable antennas tested)

If you read the Comm 16 text that RT adds to (on the right hand side) it says "Snaps Under Dynamic Pressure" or something like that. This only occurs when it's extended. This also happens to certain dishes (DTS-M1 for example).

Maybe HyperEdit applies some form of acceleration momentarily that triggers the check? I have no idea how it works, but to me this doesn't sound like a bug.

I love this mod and I use it all the time, but recently, I've had a problem..... When ever I press orbit editor, to open the menu, nothing happens. I have tried everything, closing the game, restarting my computer, and things like that, but nothing happened. Why is this happening? Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, iG. Argon said:

I love this mod and I use it all the time, but recently, I've had a problem..... When ever I press orbit editor, to open the menu, nothing happens. I have tried everything, closing the game, restarting my computer, and things like that, but nothing happened. Why is this happening? Thanks in advance.

The only thing I can think of is that the Orbit Editor window is appearing off screen.  Do you have more than one monitor?

Beyond that, I can only suggest you delete the Kerbaltek folder inside GameData, and then re-download and install HyperEdit.  That would clear any window position settings.  A fresh install of KSP with no other mods is the next step after that.

So, um, hypothetically, if I were to use the orbit editor to put my ship into orbit from the launch pad...while the launch clamps were still attached, what would happen? Besides make my game crash (which may or may not have happened instantly). What I mean is, does it have a built in "detach clamps" feature or does it take everything with it? Just curious...:P

10 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

So, um, hypothetically, if I were to use the orbit editor to put my ship into orbit from the launch pad...while the launch clamps were still attached, what would happen? Besides make my game crash (which may or may not have happened instantly). What I mean is, does it have a built in "detach clamps" feature or does it take everything with it? Just curious...:P

The clamps will release and disappear.  :wink:

I just discovered that HyperEdit has tool tips explaining what all the terms are in the orbit editor are! You realize that makes you the only mod in KSP history that bothers to actually provide in game explanations or documentation? As someone who barely knows which direction is up, I appreciate that greatly! This makes adjusting the placement of my satellites infinitely easier now that I actually know what the numbers I'm adjusting mean.

Damn, you guys are on the ball.

Although, one down side to using Hyper to manipulate orbits is that it has a tendency to use the same location (if you choose 100km, it'll be the same spot at 100km) when teleporting objects. I've accidentally teleported into other ships and even once teleported an asteroid into me - I did not see that coming! :o

Keep up the good work.

(and the beta build is still going strong)

• 2 weeks later...

Under the orbit tool there is the velocity tab...is that only for atmospheric flight? I can't see why it would be, but the only times I've gotten it to work were under those circumstances.

More to the point, I was using it now to set my orbital velocity to exactly zero, and... the game has gone NaN crazy - my log has ballooned to 600mb+ in about 5minutes. Screen goes pitch black, instruments on KER all read NaN, I still have input control though, but the camera isn't working. Reading the log, HyperEdit is in the clear (no errors anywhere), but there are now some 52,883 NullRef's (up from a baseline of 6). Everything in the log is NaNing: "part1, part2, Occlusion Test", etc.

If it matters, I was on a kerbin escape trajectory between the mun and minus (missed minus transfer), said "nope" and decided to do a complete stop and think about it. What I'm wondering is if this is an issue inherent in the orbital mechanics themselves and the game just didn't like being at precisely zero (I tried again later at slightly less than zero and it worked a bit better, but had similar issues, I think I restart is in order at this point). If not, then, well...I haven't really thought that far ahead yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm sorry but I'm not really sure what you're asking.  I don't understand why one would want an orbital velocity of zero, but then I don't really use that tool much.

Have you tried it without any other mods?  If not, please do.  If you keep having problems, then tell us step-by-step exactly what you're doing, so we can reproduce it.

You are always on some orbit in KSP. To translate orbit and distance into velocity, usually the Vis Viva equation is used ( v2 = GM[2/r - 1/a] and you can see how, if the velocity is a given, this formula rewrites itself with velocity as a denominator and you get a division by zero as a result. At least, that'll be my theory.

I opened an issue on Git about nearby vessels shifting their positions after editing the orbit of one to another reference body. Basically, the orbit of the unedited vessel appears unchanged from the tracking station and map view post edit until it is loaded when its orbit and position are suddenly not the same. The ESLD Jump Beacons mod has the same issue after jumping.

Hello to all.

Quick question.

I typically have no problems with Hypedit, but for some reason it is now sending my landing craft to the great beyond.

I have a very simple craft and I have added an extra decouple and stand off unit before the clamp.

I HE to Mun orbit, 40,000 m orbit, all is fine.

When i decouple the extra stuff off of the bottom, all is fine for about 10 seconds.

Then, zoom, off goes my landers, but the camera stays looking at where it 'was'.

Am i overlooking something from the past, or has anyone seen this particular event?

many thanks again for help and the mod.

Cheers.

ksp 1.0.5 and latest and greatest he...

@Ezriilc@sarbian

Sarbian, I included you because you wrote the Mechjeb code and understand how to do this. Ezriilc, becuase the Hyperedit code is his and I don't know if Ezriilc knows the vessel rotation stuff; Ezriilc, no offense meant.

I'm happily using the Hyperedit code in KRASH, all is well, except....

When teleporting to a Landing, the ship seems to keep the same orientation to the universe as when it started.  This can be very awkward for large ships in places like Eve (as an example).  I'm trying to set the rotation, but can't seem to get the ship's original orientation before the teleportation.

So, this is what I'm doing, in the FixedUpdate function of the lander code:

// rotation code
var newUp = FlightGlobals.getUpAxis();
// adjust vessel rotation based on how much the up direction changed
var diff = Quaternion.FromToRotation(originalUp, newUp);
vessel.SetRotation(diff * vessel.transform.rotation);
// rotation code

It's getting the originalUp which I'm having problems with.  What I really want is originalUp to be the angle the ship is pointing.

Any suggestions?

BTW, this is a problem with HyperEdit as well, so once I get this working, I'll create a pull with just this new code in it for Hyperedit.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 2/1/2016 at 1:30 PM, Ezriilc said:

Attention Internet:

linuxgurugamer is a human who plays KSP, uses HyperEdit, and is always extremely helpful!

EDIT:  Well, I suspect they may be human, but I don't judge.

Kind of funny, because when you call my home phone, you get a message saying "Press 1 to prove you are a human".  Totally eliminated robocalls.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

59 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Any ideas re. the rotation problem with Hyperedit and KRASH?  I'm hitting a brick wall.

There is no good way! That's why it's not implemented in hyperedit. You could use Vessel.forwards (or whatever field it's called, don't have the api handy right now), but what if the ship is a plane, not a rocket? Then forwards would be up! There's no good way to determine which way a user intended a vessel to be rotated, so I said it's best to just let them deal with it.

3 hours ago, khyperia said:

There is no good way! That's why it's not implemented in hyperedit. You could use Vessel.forwards (or whatever field it's called, don't have the api handy right now), but what if the ship is a plane, not a rocket? Then forwards would be up! There's no good way to determine which way a user intended a vessel to be rotated, so I said it's best to just let them deal with it.

why not give the option to the user to use the controlling part as the reference, and to specify if it is a plane or a rocket?  Right now, it's a problem if you want to warp a really big ship to (for example) Eve to test it launching, if it arrives upside down it is almost impossible to rotate.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.