[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

I've discovered a rather strange effect that appears to be caused by changing the time with HyperEdit.

Problem:

SAS can't be turned off, preventing the ship from being turned (tries to, but just wobbles), with all other functions working as expected, RCS, throttles, engines, power, etc.

Cause:

After changing the time from ??? to 18000 on Kerbin, with HyperEdit's "Misc Tools", the MET (Mission Elapsed Time) clock began to run backwards(!), with T+ counting DOWN.

The MET is just a subtraction between the current UT and the UT at launch. If UTnow < UTlaunch, obviously the MET will be running backwards to 0, then go forward again.

I didn't do much other testing, but it seems to be caused by some relationship between two or more time markers going from positive to negative or vice-verse, which is borking the SAS toggle function which seems to rely on the forward/upward count of time.

hmmm ... A PID autopilot does not rely anywhere on a timer/clock/whatever-counting-time, so the SAS itself is not the cause. It may be an issue with the way KSP handles the SAS toggle events.

Developpement news - at least for me

I've forked the code and started implementing a DMS formatted version of KSP, which is not the most easy thing to do as there are functions everywhere using angles instead...

I've also gone in adventure to the MechJeb code in a hope to find help in how to implement a "map coords pick" for the land mode.

Would you consider adding a tool to migrate a savegame to the next version?

The announced "save breaking" causes a lot of nervosity. I can imagine a tool like hyperedit could take away a lot of that.

Something like a process where you "record" a state/location etc of a craft in 0.20 and restore that in 0.21

Just a thougth. :D

Thanks for the idea. At this point, I'll add it to the list, but I'm not sure how much of a priority it will be. Migration tools are notoriously difficult to maintain, as they tend to be one-off shots for each update, and we won't really be able to even start until each update comes.

Thanks for the idea. At this point, I'll add it to the list, but I'm not sure how much of a priority it will be. Migration tools are notoriously difficult to maintain, as they tend to be one-off shots for each update, and we won't really be able to even start until each update comes.

Mm, so true. And If you say you will make something like that. You'll get 20minutes after the update before people start to complain the tool is not done yet. ;)

So I just found out that HyperEdit uses Decimal for its coordinates. I found a converter here. I needed it to replace my Habitation Modules. So I just typed in where they were and got the decimal version, typed it into HyperEdit, and it worked perfectly.

They were placed exactly where they were. :)

Edited by Benie
Forgot to link the converter

So I just found out that HyperEdit uses Decimal for its coordinates. I found a converter here. I needed it to replace my Habitation Modules. So I just typed in where they were and got the decimal version, typed it into HyperEdit, and it worked perfectly.

They were placed exactly where they were. :)

Cool tool. Fixing/improving the number representations - including coords - is pretty high on my personal priority list, and I believe that SolarLiner is working on that already. That is, when I'm not slowing him down with endless questions about GitHub. If anyone wanted to tutor a complete noob in open source collaborative workflow concepts, I wouldn't refuse it :D.

When's this going to get updated?

Did you have any specific issues in mind? I'll add them to our list.

I've already submitted code changes to remove the F11 activation hotkey - which was easy enough that even I could do it. That will be included in the next release. I could release an update just for that, if anyone really wants it.

The current version works great, and improvements will come; either when I learn C# well enough, or when someone else makes successful changes that:

1. Don't screw up what The Creator built,
  2. include bug-fixes and features from our list of priorities, and
  3. produces an unquestionably better plugin.

With no major issues to speak of currently, we haven't felt any rush to mess with The Creator's code, but I trust Team HyperEdit to step up if and when the need arises.

Since you didn't post any kind of reply, I'd like to confirm you are aware of the "land" feature incompatibility with deadly reentry.

You're right; I never replied! :blush: Sorry about that - it's my intent to always provide some kind of response to every request. I've added this to our To-Do list which is now on our site.

I have a hunch that there might be a way to disable physics temporarily on the entire craft, and then re-establish it in a controlled way after teleport. However, KSP vanilla doesn't seem to handle that very well on its own, so it may be more complicated than I'm picturing. Not being fluent in C# or Unity yet, I'd need to run it by a capable coder, but I'd start with Unity's Rigidbody physics component, or however KSP does it, and see if it can be removed/disabled and then replaced on the fly. A solid technique for doing this could prove useful.

I also suspect this may be related to other weirdness on teleport, like engines/stages firing, RCS bursts, etc.. Again, I could be way off, 'cuz I'm a total noob.

About the new update, I know that our coders are busy people, so I'm not going to pester anyone, but since I'm just not up to speed yet, I'm unable to do much without them. I will however at least make an attempt at it, and who knows, I might get lucky. Otherwise, I have no doubt that we'll get HyperEdit updated quickly.

In the interim, let's try not to freak out too badly. :0.0: I usually use HyperEdit and MechJeb on most flights, and I must admit that I feel completely naked without them, but today has been a fun return to the basics of flight control. :D MJ is a much better stick man than I.

The error I see in the log, that only seems to show when the HyperEdit .dll is present, is:

MissingFieldException: Field '.FlightGlobals.fetch' not found.

I found another thread here about the F-12 hotkey not working, that mentions this error, but that is the only hit Google offers, so there isn't much yet for me to work with.

That worries me, as ALT+F12 is the "Cheat Mode" key to pull up the dev cheats. :( I did see a thread about it, and about that same thing. Something about 'Gimbal missing'.

I haven't tested 0.21 personally. But if this is true... :sealed:

The update of HyperEdit to version 1.2.2 is complete!

Downloads and information can always be found on our website at:

www.Kerbaltek.com

sirkut discovered that the KSP .dll files had changed, so we needed to re-reference them, and that seems to have fixed it. Please test it well and let us know if any new problems exist since the update.

Forecaster has created some cool in-game Flags that are also included with the new download. You'll see them in the Flag list.

Thanks again to sirkut for getting on this so fast, to Forecaster for the great flags, and to everyone else for caring about HyperEdit.

Edited by Ezriilc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.