[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

I have been playing around with hyper edit with the stanford Torus mod ( really large station parts) and I found a issue. Every time I use hyper edit to move a part into place so I can dock it, I go back to get another. But when I launch, hyper edit does nothing and I have to restart KSP. IS this ba bug?
It might be. It can be very difficult to trace conflicts with other mods, but it is rare. Have you tried a fresh install with just HyperEdit and the other mod? If the behavior is repeatable, then I'd call it a bug.

Getting it fixed is another matter, however, but I'm certainly open to any code contributions.

It might be. It can be very difficult to trace conflicts with other mods, but it is rare. Have you tried a fresh install with just HyperEdit and the other mod? If the behavior is repeatable, then I'd call it a bug.

Getting it fixed is another matter, however, but I'm certainly open to any code contributions.

the mods I use are quite alot but the majority are mod families

near future ( excluding tech tree and IVA)

USI ( all of it)

interstellar

stanford torus

UI mods like alternate resource panel

engineer and mechjeb

but I will give a fresh install a try.

I have a little problem with HyperEdit. In my 6.4x rescale install, anything i try to teleport into orbit explodes due to burnup. Of course my install includes DRE and many other mods. The issue is 100% always reproducible. I think that teleporting from orbit to orbit works fine so i suspect DRE is mistaking the teleport for actual flight.

000_Toolbar

KerbalAlarmClock

ProceduralDynamics

KerbalEngineer

ProceduralFairings

ActiveTextureManagement

KerbalFlightData

ProceduralParts

AJE

KerbalFlightIndicators

RCSBuildAid

B9_Aerospace

KerbalJointReinforcement

RealFuels

BoulderCo

Kerbaltek

RealSolarSystem

CrossFeedEnabler

KineTechAnimation

ResGen

DeadlyReentry

Klockheed_Martian

SelectRoot

EditorExtensions

landing_gears.cfg

SH_mods

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

MagicSmokeIndustries

SmokeScreen

FerramAerospaceResearch

ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll

Squad

Firespitter

ModuleRCSFX

toolbar-settings.dat

FShangarExtender

MP_Nazari

TriggerTech

HullCameraVDS

NASAmission

TweakScale

JSI

PlanetShine

Virgin Kalactic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r55fnx8ng249qhp/output_log.txt?dl=0

A minor issue: the graphical editor won't allow me to set the Pe low enough to simulate an atmospheric entry. The slider ends at an altitude that is higher than the height of the atmosphere (on Kerbin / Eve).

What works is, once in orbit, i can teleport into an orbit which is within the atmosphere using the simple edit mode.

Edited by DaMichel

I have a little problem with HyperEdit. In my 6.4x rescale install, anything i try to teleport into orbit explodes due to burnup. Of course my install includes DRE and many other mods. The issue is 100% always reproducible. I think that teleporting from orbit to orbit works fine so i suspect DRE is mistaking the teleport for actual flight.

000_Toolbar

KerbalAlarmClock

ProceduralDynamics

KerbalEngineer

ProceduralFairings

ActiveTextureManagement

KerbalFlightData

ProceduralParts

AJE

KerbalFlightIndicators

RCSBuildAid

B9_Aerospace

KerbalJointReinforcement

RealFuels

BoulderCo

Kerbaltek

RealSolarSystem

CrossFeedEnabler

KineTechAnimation

ResGen

DeadlyReentry

Klockheed_Martian

SelectRoot

EditorExtensions

landing_gears.cfg

SH_mods

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

MagicSmokeIndustries

SmokeScreen

FerramAerospaceResearch

ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll

Squad

Firespitter

ModuleRCSFX

toolbar-settings.dat

FShangarExtender

MP_Nazari

TriggerTech

HullCameraVDS

NASAmission

TweakScale

JSI

PlanetShine

Virgin Kalactic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r55fnx8ng249qhp/output_log.txt?dl=0

A minor issue: the graphical editor won't allow me to set the Pe low enough to simulate an atmospheric entry. The slider ends at an altitude that is higher than the height of the atmosphere (on Kerbin / Eve).

What works is, once in orbit, i can teleport into an orbit which is within the atmosphere using the simple edit mode.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to fix this. Generally, I'd recommend that you teleport to a higher altitude, and/or make your ship more rigid (this is a big one), but if you've already tried those things, then I'm at a loss.

Have you tried it with a tiny ship that has just 2 or 3 parts? That can give you some idea if it's the ship flexing, or certain parts that are causing it.

I tested a bit more and found that it really is some odd interaction with DRE. I found a workaround though.

Before teleporting, hit Alt+D+R. It opens the debug window of DRE. Now set shockwave multiplier to 0. Teleport with Hyperedit. Then set the shockwave multiplier back to one or whatever it was before ... Profit??!! :wink:

I'm going to leave a note in the DRE thread. Perhaps they can do something about this.

I tested a bit more and found that it really is some odd interaction with DRE. I found a workaround though.

Before teleporting, hit Alt+D+R. It opens the debug window of DRE. Now set shockwave multiplier to 0. Teleport with Hyperedit. Then set the shockwave multiplier back to one or whatever it was before ... Profit??!! :wink:

I'm going to leave a note in the DRE thread. Perhaps they can do something about this.

That's excellent! Thanks for posting your workaround.

• 2 weeks later...
I've installed it exactly the way you said, and when I press ALT+H ingame, nothing happens... at all.
The video seems to show that you're unzipping to the right location, but here's the thing. If HyperEdit is installed correctly, it will definitely work.

UNLESS... something else on your system is blocking your keystrokes or otherwise interfering.

First, try it with a fresh download and install of both KSP and HyperEdit, without any other mods.

A recent user had this same problem after trying everything, and they were able to make it work by rebooting Windows into SAFE MODE and disabling all startup services and programs, meaning that something which normally runs in the background was the culprit.

You can try using "MSCONFIG" to disable startup items, but you need to be very careful with that tool, and use it only for testing.

The video seems to show that you're unzipping to the right location, but here's the thing. If HyperEdit is installed correctly, it will definitely work.

UNLESS... something else on your system is blocking your keystrokes or otherwise interfering.

First, try it with a fresh download and install of both KSP and HyperEdit, without any other mods.

A recent user had this same problem after trying everything, and they were able to make it work by rebooting Windows into SAFE MODE and disabling all startup services and programs, meaning that something which normally runs in the background was the culprit.

You can try using "MSCONFIG" to disable startup items, but you need to be very careful with that tool, and use it only for testing.

did those things that you said... nothing worked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvBGqLa0KhM

did those things that you said... nothing worked...

I'm sorry that you're still having trouble, but I don't know what else to say. I don't mean I won't help, just that I'm out of ideas.

First, you really should try it without ANY other mods of any kind. You also might check in your KSP.log file to see if there are any errors related to HyperEdit.

Then if that doesn't work, you'll need to figure out which other program on your system is blocking the ALT+h keystrokes.

Good luck!

@Twotlet_Sprekle:

Try copying and pasting (not moving) your KSP install somewhere with normal permissions. Program Files, My Documents, and the Desktop all have permissions settings that interfere with KSP. C:\Games\ tends to work well.

Excellent suggestion; thanks, Master Tao! +rep.

@Twotlet_Sprekle:

Try copying and pasting (not moving) your KSP install somewhere with normal permissions. Program Files, My Documents, and the Desktop all have permissions settings that interfere with KSP. C:\Games\ tends to work well.

Thanks you much Master Tao... Though I lost all my save data (not too big of a deal because I never really do much, but I lost a ship i made... do you know where that is saved so i can get it back?)

Thanks you much Master Tao... Though I lost all my save data (not too big of a deal because I never really do much, but I lost a ship i made... do you know where that is saved so i can get it back?)

If you copied everything rather than moved, then all your saves and ships should still be there. If not, then something went wrong with the copy.

Your ships and saves are inside the "saves" folder next to KSP.exe.

After having some really aggravating issues, I've decided to embrace hyperEdit. Its no fun playing when suddenly something doesn't work at random intervals. I've had a couple butchered landings because RCS decided to take a vacation at the most critical moment. Yup, not fun.

At least now I can "simulate" missions and go to other places to 'test' things. I've only been to Mun, Minmus, Duna (crashed), & Dres (crashed).

After having some really aggravating issues, I've decided to embrace hyperEdit. Its no fun playing when suddenly something doesn't work at random intervals. I've had a couple butchered landings because RCS decided to take a vacation at the most critical moment. Yup, not fun.

At least now I can "simulate" missions and go to other places to 'test' things. I've only been to Mun, Minmus, Duna (crashed), & Dres (crashed).

It's great that HyperEdit has renewed your passion for KSP, but don't let it become a crutch.

Building the right ship is key to being successful. Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll be able to explore without CHEATING!! :wink:

Hi -

I'm working on an instructional video to demonstrate how educators can simulate real-world asteroids in KSP, and have them appear at the correct scale and position relative to the planets using ephemeris data from NASA. To ensure that it's accessible to basic users and retains the simplicity that makes KSP fun to play, I'm trying to avoid the requirement of installing mods like Real Solar System or your (very good) mod, HyperEdit. However, I do like the functionality of HyperEdit, and I have a specific question that I think you can answer pretty easily.

Using HyperEdit, I was able to see that the starting position of Kerbin (after beginning a new game) is 3.14 in terms of its mean anomaly parameter. However, I haven't been able to locate this information (the planets' positions) anywhere in the game directory. I would like to be able to edit this parameter to ensure that the starting positions of Kerbin-Mun-Asteroid are correct relative to one another, and currently I either have to use HyperEdit or just time-warp until Kerbin is in the right place, before I edit the quicksave file (as shown in Scott Manley's video on the subject) to move my asteroid into position. Even then, it's a bit of trial and error.

I'd appreciate your help and thoughts on the most straightforward way to position the planet Kerbin by directly modifying the mean anomaly parameter (I don't want to change it's orbital shape, just its location on that orbit).

I plan on saving these mission starting conditions as scenarios, but I'd like to show others how to make their own custom Kerbin-Mun-(Maybe other planets for long duration missions)-Asteroid solar system configurations, so I think a quick and easy file edit is the clearest method.

Cheers

P.S. - I tried using the contact form at Kerbaltek Aerospace's website, but kept getting a server error.

Hi -

I'm working on an instructional video to demonstrate how educators can simulate real-world asteroids in KSP, and have them appear at the correct scale and position relative to the planets using ephemeris data from NASA. To ensure that it's accessible to basic users and retains the simplicity that makes KSP fun to play, I'm trying to avoid the requirement of installing mods like Real Solar System or your (very good) mod, HyperEdit. However, I do like the functionality of HyperEdit, and I have a specific question that I think you can answer pretty easily.

Using HyperEdit, I was able to see that the starting position of Kerbin (after beginning a new game) is 3.14 in terms of its mean anomaly parameter. However, I haven't been able to locate this information (the planets' positions) anywhere in the game directory. I would like to be able to edit this parameter to ensure that the starting positions of Kerbin-Mun-Asteroid are correct relative to one another, and currently I either have to use HyperEdit or just time-warp until Kerbin is in the right place, before I edit the quicksave file (as shown in Scott Manley's video on the subject) to move my asteroid into position. Even then, it's a bit of trial and error.

I'd appreciate your help and thoughts on the most straightforward way to position the planet Kerbin by directly modifying the mean anomaly parameter (I don't want to change it's orbital shape, just its location on that orbit).

I plan on saving these mission starting conditions as scenarios, but I'd like to show others how to make their own custom Kerbin-Mun-(Maybe other planets for long duration missions)-Asteroid solar system configurations, so I think a quick and easy file edit is the clearest method.

Cheers

P.S. - I tried using the contact form at Kerbaltek Aerospace's website, but kept getting a server error.

That sounds like a really awesome project! I hope it goes well for you!

Unfortunately, the planet's positions are hard-coded into the game, and are not editable. This means that even if you move them around with hyperedit (including changing it's mean anomaly), they'll always reset back to their original positions when you restart the game.

However, if you don't restart the game, it's possible to edit the orbit of the planets, by opening up Orbit Editor, Select Orbit, select Kerbin, select Complex, and then a bunch of orbital parameter fields show up. I believe two of them are "mean anomaly at epoch" and "epoch", which I assume you know how to edit (epoch is measured in seconds since the start of the save game). Unfortunately all of your changes will be reset upon restarting the game.

I'm considering throwing something in the works that would allow one to save planet's orbits to a file, and have them be re-applied on game reload, but that probably won't happen for another few weeks, if at all.

Hi -
Hi, Booz! Loving the name, BTW. Welcome to the KSP forum. Myself and many others are here to help you with just about anything, so never hesitate to ask.

I'm sorry you had trouble with my Contact page. It normally works fine, and seems to be so now, but my web host is known to have "issues" now and then.

Regarding HyperEdit, khyperia (The Creator) does most of the heavy lifting, so they will likely be your best source of solid info. I do like to pretend I'm useful, but since I'm still a modding noob, I may not be terribly effective.

I'm working on an instructional video to demonstrate how educators can simulate real-world asteroids in KSP...
What a cool project! I'm sure that everyone here will do all we can to help you.
To ensure that it's accessible to basic users and retains the simplicity that makes KSP fun to play, I'm trying to avoid the requirement of installing mods like Real Solar System or your (very good) mod, HyperEdit.
As khyperia pointed out, I suspect that something like HyperEdit will be required since the positions are hard coded into the game.

I wonder if you could wait the required time to get Kerbin into position or whatever, and then copy the save file for others to use. At least they'd have a good starting point, I think... maybe? [this is me thinking aloud]

I wish you the best of luck, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

I'm considering throwing something in the works that would allow one to save planet's orbits to a file, and have them be re-applied on game reload, but that probably won't happen for another few weeks, if at all.
I've gotten a lot of requests for this, so I'd very much like to make it a priority if possible.

EDIT: I guess I forgot to put this on our ToDo list. :blush:

Edited by Ezriilc

Great information, thanks for the quick replies. Am I correct in assuming that since the planets are hard coded, at the creation of a new game, Kerbin always initializes at the same location (what seems to be 3.14xxxxxxxx)? If this is the case, I'll just include this info in my demonstration and show how to take NASA ephemeris data for a NEO at a given epoch and transform it into game-usable orbital elements, including some modifier to make the relative position with respect to Kerbin correct. That's a workable option, since it already requires opening and editing a quicksave file.

HyperEdit is a very useful tool, and I'm glad to see other users have already done similar things to what I had in mind, like positioning the KSP-universe planets according to NASA ephemeris data for our solar system bodies. Long duration missions in particular benefit from gravity assists, so having the planets and moons correctly aligned is important to recreating real-ish operations in the game. I'll keep the community updated, I hope to have a video ready this week.

Am I correct in assuming that since the planets are hard coded, at the creation of a new game, Kerbin always initializes at the same location (what seems to be 3.14xxxxxxxx)?
I don't... actually know... I don't start new games often, but it should be easy enough to tell when one does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.