[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

You're most welcome. I'm sorry you're still having trouble.

That is weird for sure. Just to get this said out loud; you are in the flight scene, and holding down the "ALT" key while pressing the "H" key, correct?

Do you use any hotkey programs or keyboard/mouse remapping tools such as AutoHotKey or similar?

Do you have a fancy or non-standard keyboard? Can you try a different one?

Do you have any special drivers running for ANY kind of hardware?

Have you tried KSP 32 bit?

Hi Ezriic,

Again, I appreciate the response, Yes, I hold ALT while striking h while in the flight scene. Also, since I am on Linux, tried right-shift+h. (right-shift is of course the default mod key for KSP Linux.)

I do have a pretty nice keyboard and it might be the issue. It is a razer BlackWidow ... I love the thing. (I'm a software developer by trade, so I spend a LOT of time with my keyboard as I know you understand ... this thing just has a fantastic touch.) But perhaps it is the issue. I will give it a try. Don't think I have any exotic drivers on this rig ... but it is a dual monitor setup. Maybe I should temporarily un-install the second monitor?

Drivers ... I am running the NVIDIA accelerated graphics drive version 331-updates. I'm using a Galaxy GE Force GTS 250 graphics card ... an older unit but well supported on Linux and while a fairly nice card it is by no means exotic. I have a Thrustmaster 7-axis joy stick but I configure it through KSP ... just use the standard jstest-gtk package for calibration and to null the axes before game start.

I just repeated the experiment ... cleaned out my KSP local data, removed all the leftovers and re-installed from steam. Made a clean KSP tar ball so I can get back to that state quickly in the future. The dropped in HyperEdit ... still no luck. I've tried both 32 and 64 bit programs with the same results.

And, as near as I can determine, I am one of the few if not the only Linux user experiencing this issue. So it HAS to be something with my setup. There are NO errors in the log file. I'm pretty determined to run this to ground, tho ... I want to use this tool to accelerate my lander testing and it looks to be just a fun thing to have, If I don't get any clues soon I am going to start subtracting hardware (second monitor, joystick, sound, etc) until it either works or I am down to bare bones. When I figure it out I will definitely let you know.

Thanks again

... but it is a dual monitor setup. Maybe I should temporarily un-install the second monitor?
It just occurred to me that HyperEdit might be popping up outside the viewable area due to the multiple monitor setup. But I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with how Unity/KSP handles that. Anyway, I think it's worth a try - to disable the second monitor.

It just occurred to me that HyperEdit might be popping up outside the viewable area due to the multiple monitor setup. But I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with how Unity/KSP handles that. Anyway, I think it's worth a try - to disable the second monitor.

I agree. I'll try that later on tonight and let ya know. Unity (the Linux human interface on Ubuntu not the game engine of the same name) seems to be a little quirky with two monitors and your theory is quite likely.

... Please contact me whenever you need anything at all - I love helping.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :cool: I'm still a relative beginner ... only have 200 hours or so in the game.

... has emerged as one of the more nuanced aspects of KSP, and requires great skill and practice in "the Force".

Challenge accepted! :wink:

Is there some reason why you can't just raise the gear before you teleport? I mean, is this causing a problem for you?

Not really to be honest. I don't (except in one extreme case) use HyperEdit in my career mode game. I use it for testing / proofing design concepts and learning how to use new/different things in my sandbox game save before recreating the design in my career mode. I got sucked down this path because I was starting to add a couple of mods to the stock game. I found HyperEdit while looking for something to quickly put ScanSAT's into orbit so I could learn the mod. After bouncing satellites around all over the system (and learning HyperEdit at the same time) I started playing with Karbonite mod. That was the first time I ran into the explosions (a rover design). Just a couple of them, really couldn't figure out why they were ack-ploding so I put it on the back burner and started playing with OKS/MKS. I was trying to design a U shaped ground rover to ride up to the different modules and scoot them into place around the runway using the expand-o-tubes in the mod. The modules have bases with integrated lander legs and they kept blowing up when I HyperEdit them to the runway coordinates. The Rover design was to attach to the module base while the lander legs were extended, then fold up the lander legs and have the rover move the module to it's new home, preferably without tipping over. I can certainly come up with different ways to do things .. but yeah .. that was what led me here! :wink: I was trying to figure out if it was my designs or the mod or just KSP doing weird things. So I nuked my install from high orbit and started fresh to find out if it was conflict between mods or my designs or .. something more sinister! :P

Please let us know here if you learn anything new, and I will do the same
... hadn't touched coding since BASIC on my Commodore 64.

Well ... I spent some time POKEing around KSC with some different designs today. The explosions happen with rover wheels as well, but not all of the wheels do it right on the Launchpad (using VAB instead of SPH for consistency with testing lander legs / rover wheels). So just for the fun of it I started PEEKing under the hood at the part.cfg files for the Rovermax XL3 wheels and changing values. I put 4 of them on a Mk1 lander can using symmetry. A couple of hours later (I do love a challenge!) I have 3 observations:

1.) Changing the mass value to something stupidly low (0.0005 if I recall correctly) stops the instant explosions. The craft simply spins around the center of mass a few times and then settles down.

2.) Changing the angulardrag value to something around 50.0 (with the mass still at low value) stops the majority of the induced spin. The craft still rotates approximately 45-90 degrees and stops on its' own.

3.) Changing the same values on the lander legs did not stop the explosions.

Of course changing the mass value broke some other things with that particular part .. for instance the lander can slides up and down *inside* the area between the wheels. The wheels didn't move up and down. So yeah, it breaks other things pretty badly. I have no idea why these certain parts are doing this while something like the girder XL doesn't. I'm guessing the math within KSP behind how the parts are attached/massed/angled/ all combine to calculate spin forces so vast that the instant application of them is literally spinning the ship apart.

Sorry, all this rambling is much longer than I expected it to be. I just have a really bad habit of wanting to know "WHY is X doing Y? It's supposed to do Z!". I shouldn't be wasting other peoples' time with something that is probably an edge case type of thing and is able to be designed around. I deeply appreciate your kindness and tolerance. Keep up the great work!

~M~

Thanks for the warm welcome! :cool: I'm still a relative beginner ... only have 200 hours or so in the game

~M~

Yes. Much for you to learn, there is.

10 if peek(you're intent on modding physics) goto 20

15 end

20 poke(interwebs you should know about, the "PhysicsSignificance" parameter in part.cfg)

Some parts already have no physics, like the cubic octagonal strut - one of my faves.

I like to think I know a thing or two about ship design. I invite you to take a look at my Kerbaltek collection.

Hi Ezriilc ... I GOT IT WORKING!! I can now get into HyperEdit on KSP/Linux.

Here's the background.

It looks like the default mod key for KSP on Linux got switched to ALT instead of RIGHT-SHIFT at some point. Well, I noticed that, after I successfully performed a REAL clean download of KSP from Steam, I couldn't access any functions involving the modifier key. In the past, right-shift had been the modifier key but reading through the forums that had changed.

ALT-F12 and other mod key combinations (and even mod key-right click) just don't work on Ubuntu 12.04-LTS. I compared my backed up settings.cfg to the one that came in with the clean install and noticed that difference, and found some discussion of the problem on the forums regarding this. The speculation on the forums was that the Unity user interface (not the game engine) picks off ALT ... this is true! ALT brings up Ubuntu's HUD display. (I never use that thing.) So I edited settings.cfg and set it back to RIGHT-SHIFT, and was able to access the debug screen, named saves, etc again.

This what I have now (after editing it). This restore KSP itself to normal modifier key operation.

MODIFIER_KEY

{

primary = RightShift

secondary = None

group = 0

switchState = Any

}

But HyperEdit still wouldn't come up. So ... I found a way to disable the Ubuntu HUD. The procedure that worked for me:

1. Install Compbiz Configuration Settings Manager.

( sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager )

2. Under the Desktop Section, click the Ubuntu Unity Plugin.

3. Disable the ALT key to show the HUD (It's the very first setting.) - You can set this to one of the other three key options if you'd like.

(Taken from this discussion thread on another forum: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Alt-key-in-Ubuntu-12-04-Unity-window-manager/td-p/1511257)

Now, the ALT key is not being picked off by Ubuntu. ALT-h pops the HyperEdit UI right away.

Can/should HyperEdit trigger off the MODIFIER_KEY setting in settings.cfg? I took a quick look at the code but it is not obvious to me how the ALT-H combination is bound to the plugin. (I read C# OK but have no familiarity with the Unity game engine.)

Anyway, my problem is solved and I think you again for your support. Now off to play ... hope yer having a great weekend.

I'm not sure what issue you're having, but HyperEdit works just fine on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of KSP.

I have seen issues come up where it does not work for some reason and this is one of them.

The HyperEdit download should be extracted to the root of your KSP install, NOT in the gamdata folder. You can find these instructions in the FAQ section of our HyperEdit page on our website.

To quote your FAQ page it says the following: "To install on all systems - Windows, Mac and Linux - just unzip the downloaded file into your KSP game folder, alongside the KSP.exe file. Done correctly, it will create the "Kerbaltek" folder inside GameData. There is no part associated with HyperEdit." No reason for you to get goofy when I stated I was having a problem getting it to work. Maybe I should have said that I was trying to install it the way you mentioned and not the way it said on your FAQ page.

Hi Ezriilc ... I GOT IT WORKING!! I can now get into HyperEdit on KSP/Linux.

Anyway, my problem is solved and I think you again for your support. Now off to play ... hope yer having a great weekend.

Well done indeed! That was a weird one.

I will add that change to our to-do list - change modifier key from hard-coded "ALT" to whatever is in settings.cfg.

I have seen issues come up where it does not work for some reason and this is one of them.
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with any such problems.
To quote your FAQ page it says the following: "To install on all systems - Windows, Mac and Linux - just unzip the downloaded file into your KSP game folder, alongside the KSP.exe file. Done correctly, it will create the "Kerbaltek" folder inside GameData. There is no part associated with HyperEdit." No reason for you to get goofy when I stated I was having a problem getting it to work. Maybe I should have said that I was trying to install it the way you mentioned and not the way it said on your FAQ page.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The instructions in the FAQ on our HyperEdit page is the only correct way to do it.

Installed correctly, HyperEdit will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ezriilc,

Here's my tale of woe:

I run Linux Mint 17, 64-bit, and I'm getting the dialog screens to come up just fine using either of the standard "ALT" keys plus the "H" key. So far, so good...

What I want to do: Take a test lander to Duna, drop it into a circular 250 km orbit, then see if it has the dV to get down and back up. Basic test...

What I do to set it up: At the launch pad, orbiter sitting on the pad, ALT-H, Orbit Editor, Simple, alt=250000, body=Duna, press SET...

What I get: (Insert sound of crickets chirping...)

Nothing. The lander is still sitting there, Bill and Jeb are twiddling their thumbs, picking their noses, and staring back at me with their obnoxious evil grins. I'm also not seeing anything stand out in the logfile that suggests an error or NRE related to HE.

Err, help?

(Oh, BTW... KSP 0.24.2)

After clicking several other bodies to try jumping to, I click on Kerbin. Duna is now rolling around Kerbin (at the 250 km altitude), partially embedded into Kerbin's surface, and Ike has taken up orbit around both Kerbin and Duna, inside the orbit of Mun. I was able to take off from the surface of Duna, to a 100 km orbit, but that orbit now takes me crashing into Kerbin.

Edited by BARCLONE

Ezriilc,

Here's my tale of woe:

Orbit Editor, Simple, Select Body. Enter the desired altitude, it's in meters and only meters. Hit Set.

Select orbit to edit is for moving things already in orbit, which are not the current focus. If focus is set to a planet, Select Body will move the planet with focus to orbit the one you select.

Ezriilc,

Here's my tale of woe:

I run Linux Mint 17, 64-bit, and I'm getting the dialog screens to come up just fine using either of the standard "ALT" keys plus the "H" key. So far, so good...

What I want to do: Take a test lander to Duna, drop it into a circular 250 km orbit, then see if it has the dV to get down and back up. Basic test...

What I do to set it up: At the launch pad, orbiter sitting on the pad, ALT-H, Orbit Editor, Simple, alt=250000, body=Duna, press SET...

What I get: (Insert sound of crickets chirping...)

Nothing. The lander is still sitting there, Bill and Jeb are twiddling their thumbs, picking their noses, and staring back at me with their obnoxious evil grins. I'm also not seeing anything stand out in the logfile that suggests an error or NRE related to HE.

Err, help?

(Oh, BTW... KSP 0.24.2)

After clicking several other bodies to try jumping to, I click on Kerbin. Duna is now rolling around Kerbin (at the 250 km altitude), partially embedded into Kerbin's surface, and Ike has taken up orbit around both Kerbin and Duna, inside the orbit of Mun. I was able to take off from the surface of Duna, to a 100 km orbit, but that orbit now takes me crashing into Kerbin.

Well I'm stumped. That's a new one! I've never seen the interface come up and have it do nothing before. :blush: All I can recommend is to keep trying different things to see what might change the result, and report to us here if you can.

- - - Updated - - -

So the version on the website is 1.2.4.2 for ksp2.1. Does it still work with 24.2?

So you didn't actually read the website then? :wink:

Yes, the latest version of HyperEdit works with the latest version of KSP.

nvm that,figured that out, do i need them to target each other or have the amm targeting MC on kerbin? Im a RT nub sorry.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking.

What exactly are you trying to do? Have who/what target who/what? What do you mean by "amm", "MC", and "RT"?

How do i keep the edited planets to stay how they are? Like i edited a planet's orbit then exited the game and came back and found the planet in its original place.

Welcome to the forum, a_narwahl!

I'm sorry but there is no way to save changes made with Planet Editor. The game fixes everything when it starts up, so HyperEdit needs to be re-written to save and then reload your changes internally. That's on our to-do list.

Is there any way to have the "Land Ship" dialog to have the same coordinate format as most other mods? (2' 30" 2.00) instead of the 2.934658? (random fake numbers that are obviously not the same, cuz maths is bad)

I'm sure there is, and that is on our list of to-dos. One day, I'll be forced into updating HyperEdit, and that will be one of the first things to change.

I'm sure there is, and that is on our list of to-dos. One day, I'll be forced into updating HyperEdit, and that will be one of the first things to change.

But the thing is if the next update does not break it, then the next next does not break, then you will not have a chance to update HyperEdit

SO I FORCE you to update Now! :P

And from when reading this note, Ezrilc, I give you a week to push a update.

Sorry for forcing you I just had to!

But the thing is if the next update does not break it, then the next next does not break, then you will not have a chance to update HyperEdit

SO I FORCE you to update Now! :P

And from when reading this note, Ezrilc, I give you a week to push a update.

Sorry for forcing you I just had to!

The older I get, the more the word "force" as a verb becomes strictly literal.

Sorry for being rude, but... make me!

Just kidding, but you are correct in that if it's not broke, I don't plan to fix it. Fear not - someday it will bubble to the top of the pot, and I will begin work on it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.