[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

So im trying to add an atmosphere to minimus using the planet editor tool and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. T can still edit the atmospheric properties of Kerbin, however I dont seem to be able to change anything for Minumus Does anyone know how i might fix this? I'm also using the mods mechjeb, KAS, and infernal robotics.

So im trying to add an atmosphere to minimus using the planet editor tool and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. T can still edit the atmospheric properties of Kerbin, however I dont seem to be able to change anything for Minumus Does anyone know how i might fix this? I'm also using the mods mechjeb, KAS, and infernal robotics.

I'm sorry but I don't know what might be causing that, but then I haven't tested the Planet Editor very much, so I'm not completely familiar with it. If you contact me with all the details of how to reproduce what you're experiencing (what you're putting into each box, etc.), I will try as best I can to see what's up.

ok tell me if this is cheating, I launch all my geo sync satellites legit, I get them to as close as I can, But I want to pop hyper edit to make them perfect.

Just saves a bit of time messing with inclinations and Ap Pe. I haven't used hyper edit for this yet I want to hear your comments. I believe I have done 99 % of the work, gonna cheat the last 1% ?

Edited by Xzabath
grammar corrections

ok tell me if this is cheating, I launch all my geo sync satellites legit, I get them to as close as I can, But I want to pop hyper edit to make them perfect.

Just saves a bit of time messing with inclinations and Ap Pe. I haven't used hyper edit for this yet I want to hear your comments. I believe I have done 99 % of the work, gonna cheat the last 1% ?

I am not sure if that falls under the cheating category. I do however believe it points into the Anal retentiveness category. I may be wrong. I have been known to be wrong before, "repeatedly". That may fall into the "jump/leap to conclusions" category.

"Cheating" is not a clearly defined term in the context of KSP on it's own, but here's the way I look at it.

KSP is missing some critical aspects of space flight that even the earliest pioneers had, like a simple flight computer, guidance, radar, etc.. Sure, we can sit with our slide rules all day long and figure the finer points, make projections, bla-bla-bla.... but we don't have the telemetry data and such that any RL space program would have, so...

If it's a "normal" thing to do/have in a real-world space program, then I have no objections to using it or allowing it in challenges and the like. MechJeb handles most flight stuff and normally HyperEdit would go beyond RL capabilities, but in your case, it's just a replacement for the on-board guidance systems that coordinate RL sat constellations together (like GPS). I can't think of any other way to simulate such a thing in KSP, so my opinion is that it's not cheating.

I am not sure if that falls under the cheating category. I do however believe it points into the Anal retentiveness category. I may be wrong. I have been known to be wrong before, "repeatedly". That may fall into the "jump/leap to conclusions" category.

I don't think you're "wrong" necessarily, but that "anal retentiveness category" is what I'd call a positive trait in an aerospace engineer. Nothing can be perfect enough in my book. :wink:

"Cheating" is not a clearly defined term in the context of KSP on it's own, but here's the way I look at it.

KSP is missing some critical aspects of space flight that even the earliest pioneers had, like a simple flight computer, guidance, radar, etc.. Sure, we can sit with our slide rules all day long and figure the finer points, make projections, bla-bla-bla.... but we don't have the telemetry data and such that any RL space program would have, so...

If it's a "normal" thing to do/have in a real-world space program, then I have no objections to using it or allowing it in challenges and the like. MechJeb handles most flight stuff and normally HyperEdit would go beyond RL capabilities, but in your case, it's just a replacement for the on-board guidance systems that coordinate RL sat constellations together (like GPS). I can't think of any other way to simulate such a thing in KSP, so my opinion is that it's not cheating.

I don't think you're "wrong" necessarily, but that "anal retentiveness category" is what I'd call a positive trait in an aerospace engineer. Nothing can be perfect enough in my book. :wink:

Yes, yes, I know. I too cannot fall asleep knowing my apoapsis and periapsis are off by more than 1. When I call anal retentiveness into the picture, I speak from experience. :)

Are you looking for absolution for something you only have to justify before yourself? :wink:

If it lets you sleep any better, I am always juggling the thought of welding together a big piece of space station, with only sensitive/problematic parts attached seperately and hack this "lowest of all part counts heap of cyber metal" into orbit with hyperedit.

I am also quite sure that I will launch my basic comm sat network for remote tech only so many times by hand, as save breaking patches and game restarts come and go.

Yes, yes, I know. I too cannot fall asleep knowing my apoapsis and periapsis are off by more than 1. When I call anal retentiveness into the picture, I speak from experience. :)

The orbital period is much more important, even a few hundred meters will not endanger the broadcast of the next Super Kerb season. :wink:

Edited by KerbMav

Hello !

I have a little question about the teleport feature :

I used it to teleport a plane i made in the air (5000m high), thought the plane would fall like any object but.. no. It was falling but at like... 1 m/s. And accelerating or turning around didn't do anything, i was simply falling very slowly without the ability to do anything. Is that normal ?

There was a discussion a while ago about adding a feature of saving solar system edits. I'm curious if it's being worked on now.

I am sorry, but since I'm not a code expert (yet), I have no idea when I'll be able to get that done. It is on my list, and that's something.

It's no more cheating than using maneuver nodes, having dotted lines for apoapsis, or having an external view.

Again, it's about context.

1. If one thinks of anything outside the vanilla game as cheating, then ALL add-ons are. However, KSP has been specifically designed to facilitate add-ons very well, so this position is rather silly, IMO.
  2. If one looks at it in terms of simulating real-life, like I do, then some plugins are cheat-y for some things - with HyperEdit clearly over that cheat line... most of the time.

I generally like to play within the confines of the 2nd context above, but then I also take a somewhat vanilla-only discipline. I don't use fancy part mods or other stuff, just MechJeb, HyperEdit, and previously, Sub-Assemblies (loving the new feature, Squad!). Still I only use HyperEdit to do tedious things like launching water craft - when I feel a real-world aspect is missing from KSP, and there's no better option.

At the risk of going badly off-topic...

I can't figure out why some don't like the "allow part clipping in editors" in the Alt-F12 menu. As far as I can see, all it does is to allow some things to attach in symmetry that would normally only work one at a time. Everything that is allowed by that setting can be done without it - but with a bit more work, AFAIK. So I think it's just a convenience rather than a cheat, and it should be on all the time.

... I am always juggling the thought of welding together a big piece of space station, with only sensitive/problematic parts attached seperately and hack this "lowest of all part counts heap of cyber metal" into orbit with hyperedit.

I am also quite sure that I will launch my basic comm sat network for remote tech only so many times by hand, as save breaking patches and game restarts come and go.

To co-opt an old Navy phrase: "One ship - one part."

Yes. Thank you.

Even ignoring the gargantuan lag of a 1500 part behemoth clawing its way skyward, the way ships just fall to pieces when they hit an invisible pebble on the way to the boat ramp is comical at best and infuriating at worst. The ability to "weld" parts together would be a great thing in the vanilla game, but I haven't broken down and looked for a mod that does that yet. I like the limitations it puts on me, as it hones my shipbuilding skills, but I also like to play as the developers envisioned - sometimes.

Hello !

I have a little question about the teleport feature :

I used it to teleport a plane i made in the air (5000m high), thought the plane would fall like any object but.. no. It was falling but at like... 1 m/s. And accelerating or turning around didn't do anything, i was simply falling very slowly without the ability to do anything. Is that normal ?

EDIT: Welcome, xenogray!

Ship Lander puts you at a certain spot, and then slowly lowers you to the ground. To drop the craft (release it to gravity), press Land/Drop again. Just remember that you will have zero forward motion, so you'll need to nose down and fire up the engines before you drill a hole.

Edited by Ezriilc
typos

Again, it's about context.

1. If one thinks of anything outside the vanilla game as cheating, then ALL add-ons are. However, KSP has been specifically designed to facilitate add-ons very well, so this position is rather silly, IMO.
  2. If one looks at it in terms of simulating real-life, like I do, then some plugins are cheat-y for some things - with HyperEdit clearly over that cheat line... most of the time.

I generally like to play within the confines of the 2nd context above, but then I also take a somewhat vanilla-only discipline. I don't use fancy part mods or other stuff, just MechJeb, HyperEdit, and previously, Sub-Assemblies (loving the new feature, Squad!). Still I only use HyperEdit to do tedious things like launching water craft - when I feel a real-world aspect is missing from KSP, and there's no better option.

At the risk of going badly off-topic...

I can't figure out why some don't like the "allow part clipping in editors" in the Alt-F12 menu. As far as I can see, all it does is to allow some things to attach in symmetry that would normally only work one at a time. Everything that is allowed by that setting can be done without it - but with a bit more work, AFAIK. So I think it's just a convenience rather than a cheat, and it should be on all the time.

Not off topic at all. My point was just that the game itself cheats. Squad built "cheats" in at every facet from construction to flight. Users are encouraged to do things that are not realistic because IT'S A GAME.

I have a suggestion/request. Currently, when you use the "set to current location" feature of the land your ship thing, hyperedit stores the location with a letter, like K or h. This seems to make it very imprecise when you go and actually use that save location.

I use that feature for setting things up, or if there are terrain changes, for putting things back in position. It would be much better if hyperedit stored the location with several decimal places, so things can be put in place with precision.

Not off topic at all. My point was just that the game itself cheats. Squad built "cheats" in at every facet from construction to flight. Users are encouraged to do things that are not realistic because IT'S A GAME.

More to the point, it's an unfinished game (in alpha, even), such tools are highly useful for testing purposes, also for testing mods and ironing out bugs. Related, i use it also for kraken checks (happens quite a lot with KJR and some of my recent designs). As for the game itself, it's barely a game, it's a sandbox, it's what you make of it, you set your own goals.

More to the point, it's an unfinished game (in alpha, even), such tools are highly useful for testing purposes, also for testing mods and ironing out bugs.

Definitely. I'd say it's an essential tool for modders.

I don't understand why some people are so fearful of mods like HyperEdit and MechJeb... fearful to the point that they lash out at those who use them, trying to make them feel inferior for having "cheated", as though A) it's possible to cheat in a single player game, and B) somehow a person who enjoys the game more when they can skip a few steps in monotonous resupply missions or whatever, is a threat to the well-being of those who don't.

Maybe if such people allowed MechJeb or HyperEdit to take care of some of those eight hour refueling missions for them, they'd be less grumpy. :cool:

I have a suggestion/request. Currently, when you use the "set to current location" feature of the land your ship thing, hyperedit stores the location with a letter, like K or h. This seems to make it very imprecise when you go and actually use that save location.

I use that feature for setting things up, or if there are terrain changes, for putting things back in position. It would be much better if hyperedit stored the location with several decimal places, so things can be put in place with precision.

It sounds like you're using an old version of HyperEdit. The newest one will only use suffixes for values where you've entered them yourself, and so the current location is set quite precisely now. I actually removed the suffixes for that very reason. :cool:

Wasn't able to find this info in a search, so;

Is there a way to reset orbits?

I accidental edited Duna's obit.

You are correct that this info doesn't appear anywhere that I know of.

I believe that simply stopping and restarting KSP will reset all bodies' orbits. Please try that and tell us if that did it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.