[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

I'm new to Hyperedit and I was wondering in the Complex tab what does the different section change

There is also a "Help" button in HyperEdit, that shows some useful info, and directs to external resources as well, like Wikipedia for orbital components.

However, that info isn't very complete IMO, so I'm adding it to the list for fleshing out. I'm a big fan of comprehensive internal help systems.

Ah, But does everyone who plays KSP live in the US?

Doesn't much matter in this case. The automatic granting of copyright (with no registration or notice required) is part of the TRIPS agreement, an international treaty ratified by 158 nations and respected by even more. It would not surprise me if, yes, everyone who plays KSP lives in a country where this is the law.

Hey, so I finally landed a rover on Duna (semi-legit, as in didn't use HyperEdit). Unfortunately I'm having another issue with numbers. This has to do with the "Land your ship" feature.

My current semi-legit rover, needed some form of SAS, so I can keep it on a constant course. So I do that with the same rover, and use HyperEdit to get it to Duna.

The issue, is typing in the cords. It won't accept spaces, commas, or even cardinal directions. It keeps saying "Landing parameter was not a number".

So I mushed the cords togther and it finally landed me, but in cords that aren't even close to my current rover.

This is my current rover's cords (the semi-legit one);

0* 30' 27" N

313* 17" 48" W

What HyperEdit teleported the new rover to, is,

33* 0' 0" N

72" 0' 0" W

Hey, so I finally landed a rover on Duna (semi-legit, as in didn't use HyperEdit). Unfortunately I'm having another issue with numbers. This has to do with the "Land your ship" feature.

My current semi-legit rover, needed some form of SAS, so I can keep it on a constant course. So I do that with the same rover, and use HyperEdit to get it to Duna.

The issue, is typing in the cords. It won't accept spaces, commas, or even cardinal directions. It keeps saying "Landing parameter was not a number".

So I mushed the cords togther and it finally landed me, but in cords that aren't even close to my current rover.

This is my current rover's cords (the semi-legit one);

0* 30' 27" N

313* 17" 48" W

What HyperEdit teleported the new rover to, is,

33* 0' 0" N

72" 0' 0" W

I probably should wait until Devo, sirkut or another HyperEdit expert responds, before I say something stupid (too late! :0.0:), but I believe - and there's a short blurb on this in HyperEdit's "Help" screen - that all units are standard "Si units", and instead of degrees N/S/E/W, surf coords are represented as +/-, x/y.

Now, I take that to mean: (N = x>0), (S = x<0), (E = y>0), (W = y<0), but I'm not confident about this. Also, the numbers have multiplier letters (d/h/etc., days/hours/mins?), and that's where I get lost because in my brain (not fluent in Si units), degrees should be in there somewhere, and none of the multiplier values I try for those, even from the Si list, seem to work out like I expect.

While writing this book/post, I got to thinking about the various "projections" used to make a global atlas fit on a 2d map. So, question for the community: Which coordinate system does KSP use for planet surfaces? Is it one of those listed here?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_system

Admittedly, I haven't taken the time to study all this much, but I do think HyperEdit's interface could be more intuitive. "The Maker" (of HyperEdit) did the hard part for us, now I'd like to pimp it up a bit.

Changing and/or clarifying the input units throughout HyperEdit is high on my personal priority list, but others may consider other tasks more important. On that note, setting up our task list priorities according to the community's priorities for each task is another task that's also high on our soon-to-be prioritized list of tasks.

Someday, I'd like to add many more interface aids, options and go-fasters to all the features in HyperEdit -such as making "Refill resources" variable and tank/batt-specific, including and not limited to: sliders, up/dn/lf/rt incrementing via arrow keys and mouse, auto-complete/history buffers, customizable/trigger-able hot-keys and presets, and even GUIs where possible. Like if MechJeb's ascent path plot image were draggable. I'm not "qualified" as a coder yet, but I'm hoping that this type of thing isn't too difficult. Regardless, it's almost certainly pretty low on the priority list.

In this particular case, the holy grail fix (IMO) would be a 3d graphical representation of the planet's sphere (is it possible to add another scene to KSP or mimic/use MechJeb's "Choose target on the surface" feature?), with an adjustable grid/scale, and one or more draggable pins to mark positions. Of course, with a readout/input to show/enter coords and make other tweaks like "Slew __ clicks N/S/E/W", "Snap-to-grid", "Nearest coast", and whatever else is awesome. It could even evolve into a waypoint based navigation system of some sort, even though I have no idea why that might be useful for a teleporter, but hey.

Oh yea. As you may know, you can press the "Set to current position" button to show and save a location. The notation of those values may give clues to the inner math, as could looking at the source.

The default saved coordinates file, ".\GameData\Kerbaltek\PluginData\HyperEdit\landcoords.txt" contains these two locations:

Airstrip Island - Wet,-1.498,-0.72088h
KSC Runway Beach - Wet,-0.435d,-0.7439h

You'll notice the lack of cardinal directions, the negative values, and the "h" and "d" suffixes, which seem to just confuse me.

If (big if) the coordinates are mapped to a Merkator projection (rectangular atlas), then as you move away from the equator, the scale increases to infinity at the poles, which would drastically affect the meaning of these location values (and may not be possible, I'm just spit-balling). So, other coordinate system and projection would likely also make huge differences, so the seemingly bizarre results we see might be explained by the answer to which KSP uses.

After all I've written, it'll be funny if the answer is just a one-liner. :)

Hey, Ezriilc. What you tried to explain to me, confused me quite well. Yet I never thought of just switching to the current rover, then using "Set to current location", writing down those figures, going back to my new one and entering those in, and it would port me exactly where the current rover is.

I had thought of just strapping this to a skycrane, HyperEditing it to Duna at an altitude of 0.100M (100,000m) above the planet surface, perfect orbiting altitude for Duna, use my current rover's position and then land it again.

This new idea changes everything. I just wish there was a smaller SAS module for the rover.

Edit: Didn't quite work as I'd hoped. I enter the same cords, and it lands me sort of near the rover, but not even the same cords I typed in for it.

Edited by Benie

I do have another request: "Repair All Rover Wheels". This is if you don't feel like sending a Kerbin to a planet, just to repair the wheels of a rover.

It saddens me that the cheats that come with the game, don't have this.

Hey, Ezriilc. What you tried to explain to me, confused me quite well. Yet I never thought of just switching to the current rover, then using "Set to current location", writing down those figures, going back to my new one and entering those in, and it would port me exactly where the current rover is.

I had thought of just strapping this to a skycrane, HyperEditing it to Duna at an altitude of 0.100M (100,000m) above the planet surface, perfect orbiting altitude for Duna, use my current rover's position and then land it again.

This new idea changes everything. I just wish there was a smaller SAS module for the rover.

Edit: Didn't quite work as I'd hoped. I enter the same cords, and it lands me sort of near the rover, but not even the same cords I typed in for it.

Oh, I'm sorry I confused you. I'm good at that. However, I say so much in the hope you can pick out something useful, and you have, so good!

But... no, silly. :D Don't write the coords down (caveman), use the "Save" and "Load" buttons. ;)

I expect there is a minimum resolution at the surface (known in the military as "clicks"). Meaning, that not all points on the surface can be teleported to, and so you'll snap to the point nearest the coords. This is only an hypothesis, and I haven't tested it at all. It could be that "Set to current position" is actually rounding out the numbers. MechJeb and other plugins can give you your exact position with fine precision, if I'm not mistaken. That might help you to refine your waypoint.

This kind of thing is what I intend to iron out. I like an interface that people just "get", ya know? It should be intuitive and do what the user expects in as much as possible.

I do have another request: "Repair All Rover Wheels". This is if you don't feel like sending a Kerbin to a planet, just to repair the wheels of a rover.

It saddens me that the cheats that come with the game, don't have this.

Wait, Kerbs can repair rover wheels?! NOW you tell me! (added to list)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Ezriilc. Got a problem. I was trying to HyperEdit a rover on Duna. When I got it up to my base, the solar panels I have for my modules are all gone. How can I get them back?

I'm 80% sure this has to do with this mod. I don't know how, but the same results keep on happening.

When panels are in their retracted state, they stay there. But it's like they've been snapped off by unknown forces. I can't get my Kerbals to repair them, as they are unclickable. There doesn't seem to be a way.

Edited by Benie

Hey, Ezriilc. Got a problem. I was trying to HyperEdit a rover on Duna. When I got it up to my base, the solar panels I have for my modules are all gone. How can I get them back?

I'm 80% sure this has to do with this mod. I don't know how, but the same results keep on happening.

When panels are in their retracted state, they stay there. But it's like they've been snapped off by unknown forces. I can't get my Kerbals to repair them, as they are unclickable. There doesn't seem to be a way.

Benie,

Thanks for the report, and I'm sorry you're having trouble.

• First off, what do you mean by "HyperEdit a rover" specifically? Which HyperEdit feature are you using?
  • What do you mean by "gone"? Are they removed entirely or just broken like from G forces?
  • What is the exact sequence of steps required to recreate the issue, from starting the game to the problem?
  • Have you tried a different rover-panel combination? Can you send us a copy of your .craft file? You can paste it into our Contact form on our website.
  • Does it happen on other planets like Kerbin?

Just a reminder. Solar panels must always be retracted before moving a ship, AFAIK. Even RCS docking maneuvers can break them off. I realize this probably doesn't help much, but it's a thing.

I'm sorry I can't be more help at this time! I'm still more of an administrator than a real coding expert, but I'm learning. I have however put this on our list, and I'll make sure that somebody helps you, one way or another. I fully expect that someone else will jump in here and save me, like always. In the meantime, you may be the best one to do further testing on it.

Please tell us if you learn anything more.

First off, what do you mean by "HyperEdit a rover" specifically? Which HyperEdit feature are you using?

- Edit an Orbit to get it to a planet, then use the Land your ship to get it down to the planet surface. I have to get it down on its wheels or landing legs. This takes time. I have to have it hit the planet surface enough so it'll flip over, so the landing legs are facing down, and I really wish there was a "Land Upright" option that makes sure whatever you're landing is in an upright position.

What do you mean by "gone"? Are they removed entirely or just broken like from G forces?

- All there's left is a small box of where the panel was attached to. I don't know how to explain it.

What is the exact sequence of steps required to recreate the issue, from starting the game to the problem?

1. Made a simple habitation module for my Kerbals to live on Duna, then did what I said of "HyperEditing a rover".

2. Opened the panels once happy with where it was.

3. Went back to Kerbin, and spawned my rover on the launchpad. Then also HyperEdited it.

4. Went to where the habitation module is. Panels are gone.

Have you tried a different rover-panel combination? Can you send us a copy of your .craft file? You can paste it into our Contact form on our website.

- It doesn't matter. It happens to anything that has a solar panel. The thing is, I haven't seen it happen to the really large panels. Just the 1x6 and the 1x3 (the small ones).

Does it happen on other planets like Kerbin?

- It only happens if you HyperEdit something to a planet that something else has a panel.

I never have a problem of panels falling off of mobilizing them (moving the modules to other places). Only when I use HyperEdit to land something from Kerbin.

Edited by Benie

Bug / Incompatibility report:

The "Land" feature is incompatible with the mod Deadly Reentry.

The "Orbit" features work fine, but as soon as the button "land" button, all parts get insta-nuked due to excessive g-forces.

I can get a screenshot or even a video of the bug, if truly needed, but I thing debug-wise there is noting else to be noted.

As an extra, the OrbitalContruction Redux 3 mod, which currently uses HyperEdit's code, also suffers from the same problem (for obvious enough reasons :P).

I really love all the mods, and I really hope a solution can be found, ASAP. Too many kerbals have already died trying to land my over-sized extra-planetary base modules (lies! I'm using the "save-file edit" method for now. :) But It's nowhere near as convenient as HE ;.;)

I really wish there was a "Land Upright" option that makes sure whatever you're landing is in an upright position.

Tip: When using HyperEdit's Land feature, the ship falls very slowly until some part of it contacts the surface. Setting the Altitude higher will give you more time to right the ship with flight controls before it touches down.

1. Made a simple habitation module for my Kerbals to live on Duna, then orbit-edited and landed it there.

2. Opened the panels once happy with where it was.

3. Went back to Kerbin, and spawned my rover on the launchpad. Then also HyperEdited it.

4. Went to where the habitation module is. Panels are gone.

Thanks for all the detail!

So, it's not the rover's panels but another ship's.

• Can you do a test in steps to isolate the moment the panels get broked?
    • Land habitat, then check that panels are OK.
    • Change scene to VAB/SPH or another ship, then right back again. Panels still OK?
    • Change scene to get rover launched (using HyperEdit here?), then back again. Panels still OK?
    • Change scene to put rover around Duna, then back again. Panels still OK?
    • Change scene to land rover, then back again. Panels broked now?

[*]Have you tried retracting the panels before leaving the habitat's flight scene?

[*]Are any other parts affected, like ladders, legs, lights, etc?

[*]Does it happen with panels on a habitat that was landed without HyperEdit? I know this takes a long time, but it might help.

Land habitat, then check that panels are OK.

Yes. I don't have a problem with the panels.

Change scene to VAB/SPH or another ship, then right back again. Panels still OK?

No problems.

Change scene to get rover launched (using HyperEdit here?), then back again. Panels still OK?

So have the rover on the launchpad before using HyperEdit? If so, yeah, I see no problems. Also I see no problems when spawning the rover using EL (I use a Sphere Launchpad as the core of my base). The reason I needed the rover HyperEdited is to get it to a specific location on the planet surface.

Change scene to put rover around Duna, then back again. Panels still OK?

I haven't checked this. I would be too busy landing the rover on the planet, but I will do this.

Change scene to land rover, then back again. Panels broked now?

This is when I see it happen. I do know that this does not happen when panels are retracted fully before HyperEditing whatever. Though I wish I didn't have to. :P

Oh, and have you tried jamming a save-exit-restart in between all those steps?

I know this doesn't make the panels re-appear when this happens.

I do know that this does not happen when panels are retracted fully before HyperEditing whatever. Though I wish I didn't have to. :P

Yea, I hear ya. I'm afraid I can't think in C# well enough yet to come up with a fix, or even know if one is possible really, but others might.

Oh, and have you tried jamming a save-exit-restart in between all those steps?

I know this doesn't make the panels re-appear when this happens.

I was thinking of doing it just prior to whenever you determine the fault is happening rather than after, but I'm not sure what it might tell us.

A very strange thing, that. I'm taking notes, but I'm ****ed for ideas. :(

Quick question. Is there a way to remove the bind that opens hyper edit with F11? I didn't see it in a change log and haven't seen it mentioned as being added anywhere in the thread, but I went to start recording with Fraps yesterday (have record bound to f11) and the Hyperedit window popped up. Happens every time, and I don't see anywhere in the GUI where I can change it. AltH still brings the window up as well.

It's not life threatening or game breaking at all, just wonder if there's a way to change it for convenience sake.

Quick question. Is there a way to remove the bind that opens hyper edit with F11? I didn't see it in a change log and haven't seen it mentioned as being added anywhere in the thread, but I went to start recording with Fraps yesterday (have record bound to f11) and the Hyperedit window popped up. Happens every time, and I don't see anywhere in the GUI where I can change it. AltH still brings the window up as well.

It's not life threatening or game breaking at all, just wonder if there's a way to change it for convenience sake.

Actually, yes! That's something that even I can do (yay, I'm useful). I need to hear from the rest of our team to make sure that removing the F11 hotkey doesn't create any problems. I can't imagine that it would, but I'm rather new to the project and I can't make any decision alone.

Actually, yes! That's something that even I can do (yay, I'm useful). I need to hear from the rest of our team to make sure that removing the F11 hotkey doesn't create any problems. I can't imagine that it would, but I'm rather new to the project and I can't make any decision alone.

I think that a text-based configuration file is a good idea to allow easy changes to things like hotkeys and other behaviors. I'm adding this to my list.

I've discovered a rather strange effect that appears to be caused by changing the time with HyperEdit.

Problem:

SAS can't be turned off, preventing the ship from being turned (tries to, but just wobbles), with all other functions working as expected, RCS, throttles, engines, power, etc.

Cause:

After changing the time from ??? to 18000 on Kerbin, with HyperEdit's "Misc Tools", the MET (Mission Elapsed Time) clock began to run backwards(!), with T+ counting DOWN.

Fix:

I reset the time (a few tries) to bring the MET closer to zero, and at some point it began to count UP again. Immediately after that, I was able to toggle SAS normally, and all seems well.

EDIT: I've speculated that I may have moved the time back far enough and then forward again which ultimately fixed it, but it's just a guess, and I can't really remember.

I didn't do much other testing, but it seems to be caused by some relationship between two or more time markers going from positive to negative or vice-verse, which is borking the SAS toggle function which seems to rely on the forward/upward count of time.

As for what might be done in HyperEdit to deal with it, sadly I haven't a clue, so all I can do is report it, and put it on my list. Perhaps its just a matter of making the time set only move time forward and not backwards around the dial.

This problem seems possible to explain some similar issues I've seen elsewhere with SAS getting stuck on, but I don't know if anyone has identified HyperEdit as a cause until now. Remember, knowing is half the battle! Hopefully, it helps someone stop pulling their hair out like it did for me today. :0.0:

Edited by Ezriilc

Would you consider adding a tool to migrate a savegame to the next version?

The announced "save breaking" causes a lot of nervosity. I can imagine a tool like hyperedit could take away a lot of that.

Something like a process where you "record" a state/location etc of a craft in 0.20 and restore that in 0.21

Just a thougth. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.