[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

I have run into a strange glitch. First I am new to Hyperedit, so maybe I am just doing something wrong. When I place a base on say Minmus the first landing goes flawless. But then if I press Esc and go back to the hanger to fix a glaring flaw in my design, and then try to land the base at the same spot, the ship explodes. If I pick a new spot it works fine. All I can think is Hyperedit still thinks the first instance of the ship is still on the ground in the same spot.

3 minutes ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

I have run into a strange glitch. First I am new to Hyperedit, so maybe I am just doing something wrong. When I place a base on say Minmus the first landing goes flawless. But then if I press Esc and go back to the hanger to fix a glaring flaw in my design, and then try to land the base at the same spot, the ship explodes. If I pick a new spot it works fine. All I can think is Hyperedit still thinks the first instance of the ship is still on the ground in the same spot.

Random explosions is definitely a known risk when teleporting anything anywhere with HyperEdit, but I'm afraid there is not always an easy solution.

Generally, if I get such behavior, I try the following things:

• Land in a slightly different spot.
  • Make sure the ship is properly rigid and structurally sound.
  • Point the ship differently prior to teleporting.
  • Try it with and/or without SAS and/or RCS on or off.
  • Try it multiple times even without changing anything.

I hope some of this helps.  If not, feel free to contact me again.  :)

On 06/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, Ezriilc said:

I've published a BETA version to include the fix to Auto Open, as well as a change to the config storage folder.  As always, please let me know of any issues.

http://www.kerbaltek.com/hyperedit

Thank you! :D  I knew I wasn't crazy with the thing popping up the past few KSP versions lol 

I've been having problems with the new version. Ship lander causes craft to explode no matter where i try to land. I've removed all mods and still the same results. I've been using this mod for a long time with great results. Any tips on how to get this working again? Thanks!

On 10/11/2017 at 3:38 PM, Ezriilc said:

Random explosions is definitely a known risk when teleporting anything anywhere with HyperEdit, but I'm afraid there is not always an easy solution.

Generally, if I get such behavior, I try the following things:

• Land in a slightly different spot.
  • Make sure the ship is properly rigid and structurally sound.
  • Point the ship differently prior to teleporting.
  • Try it with and/or without SAS and/or RCS on or off.
  • Try it multiple times even without changing anything.

I hope some of this helps.  If not, feel free to contact me again.  :)

I'm sorry to be repetitive, but these steps are the best way to go after explosions on teleport.  If none of this works, try using a different ship, and/or send me your craft file or save file so I can do some testing.  To send me your file, please go to our Contact page and attach it to a message using the form.  http://www.kerbaltek.com/contact

Thanks, I've tried all those, so I reinstalled the game with this as the only mod. Same results. I am using a standard capsule w/parachute for testing. I use Hyper edit to go to Kerbin orbit, then choose one of the pre-loaded co-ordinates to land (runway, launch pad) got to land and boom! The pre-loaded Minmus flats is the only site that I can land at. I tried saving the co-ordinates while sitting at the launch pad as well thinking the pre-loaded co-ordinates for Kerbin were hosed nut no success. I will continue testing to see if I can find a root cause.

Hi, I'm using KSP 1.3.1 and Hyperedit seems to be working fine except for the ship lander. The location it lands me at is nowhere near the co-ordinates I want. This applies to preset locations like the launchpad, location I had saved from previous version and locations typed in directly.

@stonewall72 and @tomf, you are correct that there is something wrong with HyperEdit.

I've discovered that there has been some change in KSP 1.3.1 that is borking HyperEdit's coordinates in some very strange way.  I am only able to keep from exploding when using the Lander by using a very high altitude, but then I'm still somehow inside the planet with a very strange view.

I will look into this right away, but I suspect I'm again going to need help.  Sending the Bat signal to @linuxgurugamer - if you have the time, we could use your help.

I have been having to set my altitude to 100-150m in order to land since 1.2.2, or whatever the version was when I started working SSRSS. I think 1.1.3. It may be a thing with kopernicus though I never run stock anymore with hyperedit.

Edited by Galileo

53 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

@stonewall72 and @tomf, you are correct that there is something wrong with HyperEdit.

I've discovered that there has been some change in KSP 1.3.1 that is borking HyperEdit's coordinates in some very strange way.  I am only able to keep from exploding when using the Lander by using a very high altitude, but then I'm still somehow inside the planet with a very strange view.

I will look into this right away, but I suspect I'm again going to need help.  Sending the Bat signal to @linuxgurugamer - if you have the time, we could use your help.

Not really, although I haven’t seen any significant issues with 1.3.1.  Rather busy now, but I’ll keep it in mind

25 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have been having to set my altitude to 100-150m in order to land since 1.2.2, or whatever the version was when I started working SSRSS. I think 1.1.3. It may be a thing with kopernicus though I never run stock anymore with hyperedit.

I don't think this is related to the new problem.  Others have not reported such issues with KSP 1.2.2, and my testing has all worked as expected up until KSP 1.3.1.

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not really, although I haven’t seen any significant issues with 1.3.1.  Rather busy now, but I’ll keep it in mind

Fair enough.  I appreciate your attention.

12 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

I don't think this is related to the new problem.  Others have not reported such issues with KSP 1.2.2, and my testing has all worked as expected up until KSP 1.3.1.

Fair enough.  I appreciate your attention.

It’s the exact same issue, I just don’t ever bring insignificant issues that I can circumvent to other mod devs. I just wanted to confirm the latest reports. I have used hyperedit probably more than most people on the forums thanks to the mods that I maintain and have been experiencing exploding crafts when the altitude is set to 0m, which is the default hyperedit is set to. Now out of habit, I set it to 150m to avoid the problem. Sometimes, the altitude needs to be more than that, but 150m seems to be ok in most situations. It’s something I have had to deal with for a long while now. I don’t care and it doesn’t bother me, like I said, I’m just confirm the reports and just stating it’s not a new issue. It may work in the stock system, I only run kopernicus and my planet packs. This may be why you don’t see the issues, if you don’t test hyperedit with planet packs. I’m sure all other planet pack creators can confirm the issue has been around for a while. @Gameslinx @StarCrusher96 Is it just me?

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It’s the exact same issue, I just don’t ever bring insignificant issues that I can circumvent to other mod devs. I just wanted to confirm the latest reports. I have used hyperedit probably more than most people on the forums thanks to the mods that I maintain and have been experiencing exploding crafts when the altitude is set to 0m, which is the default hyperedit is set to. Now out of habit, I set it to 150m to avoid the problem. Sometimes, the altitude needs to be more than that, but 150m seems to be ok in most situations. It’s something I have had to deal with for a long while now. I don’t care and it doesn’t bother me, like I said, I’m just confirm the reports and just stating it’s not a new issue. It may work in the stock system, I only run kopernicus and my planet packs. This may be why you don’t see the issues, if you don’t test hyperedit with planet packs. I’m sure all other planet pack creators can confirm the issue has been around for a while. @Gameslinx @StarCrusher96 Is it just me?

same issue.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

It’s the exact same issue, I just don’t ever bring insignificant issues that I can circumvent to other mod devs. I just wanted to confirm the latest reports. I have used hyperedit probably more than most people on the forums thanks to the mods that I maintain and have been experiencing exploding crafts when the altitude is set to 0m, which is the default hyperedit is set to. Now out of habit, I set it to 150m to avoid the problem. Sometimes, the altitude needs to be more than that, but 150m seems to be ok in most situations.

I'm sorry for your frustration.  The current issue as I've seen it is completely different than other teleport explosion issues - those that don't happen with a 1 part ship right on the pad, and can be rectified by using a higher altitude.  The current behavior simply did not exist prior to KSP 1.3.1.  There may be some sort of indirect connection, but there is definitely something different about KSP 1.3.1 that is causing this new behavior.

I suspect your issue may be due to something else.  I cannot reproduce it with KSP 1.3.0.  All my tests in versions prior to KSP 1.3.1 work as expected, with no explosions.

1 minute ago, StarCrusher96 said:

same issue.

On a version prior to the new KSP 1.3.1?

Just now, StarCrusher96 said:

Yes, I'm now used to set the altitude at ~500m. 

I'm sorry, but with a clean install using only HyperEdit, I cannot reproduce any teleport explosions with simple ships.  They can be more common with large, complex ships, but usually stiffening them helps.  The new issue with the new KSP 1.3.1 is not directly related, and the behavior is completely different.

7 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

I'm sorry, but with a clean install using only HyperEdit, I cannot reproduce any teleport explosions with simple ships.  They can be more common with large, complex ships, but usually stiffening them helps.  The new issue with the new KSP 1.3.1 is not directly related, and the behavior is completely different.

We don’t use stock and just hyperedit though. That’s probably part of the issue. The new issue of hyperedit not placing you at the coordinates you defined in the ship lander window isn’t exactly new either. I have had that since 1.3 or before as well. Typically happens after a lot of use and teleporting from one bodies surface to another, skipping going to orbit. I just figured my unusual use of hyperedit was to blame for the issue so again, I’m wasn’t going to inundate you with bug reports that are likely my fault. I don’t know why other users of hyperedit haven’t reported things like this until now, but perhaps I should be more proactive with bug reports. But testing will also have to be done with planet packs installed if you want to see what we are talking about. 

And just to clarify, I’m not frustrated, like I said, I have my ways of circumventing the issues, and maybe many other do as well, and thats why you don’t get many bug reports. But since I noticed someone bring up some thing I have seen happen myself, I figured I’d confirm the issues as well.

Edited by Galileo

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

We don’t use stock and just hyperedit though. That’s probably part of the issue. The new issue of hyperedit not placing you at the coordinates you defined in the ship lander window isn’t exactly new either. I have had that since 1.3 or before as well. Typically happens after a lot of use and teleporting from one bodies surface to another, skipping going to orbit. I just figured my unusual use of hyperedit was to blame for the issue so again, I’m wasn’t going to inundate you with bug reports that are likely my fault. I don’t know why other users of hyperedit haven’t reported things like this until now, but perhaps I should be more proactive with bug reports. But testing will also have to be done with planet packs installed if you want to see what we are talking about. 

I understand.  Explosions and odd behavior are pretty common when using the Lander, especially if you don't go to orbit between bodies (never advised).  The real problem with such issues is that I just cannot reproduce them reliably, or I promise you, I would get after that bug.

Regardless, please don't worry about bothering me by reporting issues, no matter how trivial.  I do this because I love it, and I genuinely want to know about anything that isn't right.  Please also feel free to contact me personally by any means - through a PM here, or on my site's Contact page, with anything at all.  Seriously, no worries.  :cool:
EDIT:  I'm OK with installing other common mods if needed to chase a bug.

Also, I promise that I will find and fix this new bug, one way or another, it just may take some time.  The more input from you all, the better.

Edited by Ezriilc

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Same issue.

I've found that with a stock install, setting the altitude to 0m has a high chance of explosion. Usually I have it around 1000.

Also, is there any reason why 89 is the latitude limit for the ship lander?

@GalileoThe version of Hyper Edit I use has a broken ship lander and only 'land here' works. I can't tell my ship to land somewhere specific so I've not encountered this in quite a while.

I imagine its the same problem, though. Definitely not Kopernicus.

@Ezriilc A possible reason as to why this happens is because PQS hasn't activated. As soon as "land" is pressed, the planet state goes from Scaled to PQS, without any fading or time to load. therefore, as far as Hyper Edit is concerned, the terrain altitude is 0 (no PQS, no terrain - just a solid sphere). When the ship arrives at altitude 0, the terrain loads and now the craft is stuck under it, causing it to explode.

A solution would be to tell KSP to load the target planet's PQS BEFORE sending the ship there. 

Edited by Gameslinx

14 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Same issue.

I've found that with a stock install, setting the altitude to 0m has a high chance of explosion. Usually I have it around 1000.

Also, is there any reason why 89 is the latitude limit for the ship lander?

@GalileoThe version of Hyper Edit I use has a broken ship lander and only 'land here' works. I can't tell my ship to land somewhere specific so I've not encountered this in quite a while.

I imagine its the same problem, though. Definitely not Kopernicus.

@Ezriilc A possible reason as to why this happens is because PQS hasn't activated. As soon as "land" is pressed, the planet state goes from Scaled to PQS, without any fading or time to load. therefore, as far as Hyper Edit is concerned, the terrain altitude is 0 (no PQS, no terrain - just a solid sphere). When the ship arrives at altitude 0, the terrain loads and now the craft is stuck under it, causing it to explode.

A solution would be to tell KSP to load the target planet's PQS BEFORE sending the ship there. 

It sounds like you know far more than I.  I'm not good with C#, or the KSP API.  I didn't create HyperEdit, I'm just the custodian.

89 is the limit because the game seems to hate a setting at either pole (90).

1 minute ago, Ezriilc said:

It sounds like you know far more than I.  I'm not good with C#, or the KSP API.  I didn't create HyperEdit, I'm just the custodian.

89 is the limit because the game seems to hate a setting at either pole (90).

The limit should be 89.9, then :P

I don't have any knowledge of any programming language, I just make planets and 'understand how they work' :wink:

Just now, Gameslinx said:

The limit should be 89.9, then :P

I don't have any knowledge of any programming language, I just make planets and 'understand how they work' :wink:

I understood that getting near 90 would be an issue.

The community always comes to my rescue when I need them.  I'm sure we'll get it worked out eventually.  :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.