[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

Having some issues with your website? Had a few timeouts but eventually got it - Took awhile for me to load though - ~8:30PM CST

Nope! Our site is working fine, still. It must be at your end, or something in between.

EDIT: When reporting an alleged website problem, please PM me with your IP address and the exact URL(s), so that I can check the logs for any errors.

Edited by Ezriilc

Is there a trick to giving bodies an atmosphere? I tried it with the Mun and Minmus and it didn't seem to work.

Some have reported problems with the Planet Editor, but no solution has been mentioned. If I stumble on a fix, I'll update right away, but I can't say when that will be, sorry.

It should probably be made that edits only affect one save.
Actually, edits that might transcend saves are not persistent at all, AFAIK. Restart the game to reset them, which will then be apparent in all saves. :wink:

I did, but I'm just saying.

For clarity, since planet edits don't affect ANY save, the suggestion of having HyperEdit affect only one save, would be impossible.

Also, persistence across restarts is already on the list, and would by necessity be associated with a particular save, IMO.

Edited by Ezriilc
Added previous quotes for thread clarity

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-related, but not really to HyperEdit, Kerbaltek's Kraft Kitchen is a project I've been working on to repair and modify KSP .craft files. It's now in BETA and can be found on our website.

Currently, it only does one thing - fixes corrupted .craft files due to a bug in symmetry/clipping - or whatever you call it - that makes the ship unusable. The guts of the tool has a complete .craft file parser that can do all kinds of intelligent stuff, and I plan to expand its capability greatly very soon.

Everyone please feel free to try it out and see if you can break it! Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Sounds delicious! :D

Sadly... it isn't :(. Further testing shows it to be somewhat hit-or-miss. I boogered a ship up real good today, the Kitchen thought it fixed it but it didn't work, and I have no idea why. I need a better understanding of what the bug is actually doing, and the structure of .craft files and ships in general. I'll get it eventually.

I'm only discussing this here because theoretically, this tool could find its way into HyperEdit along with so many other ideas I have [wishful thinking].

Shouldn't that be a separate mod? I understand HyperEdit, by its nature, can be a bit of a mixed bag, but this seems out of its range.

Agreed. That's why Kraft Kitchen is just a web page.

I do have this (possibly unrealistic) fantasy of making HyperEdit a fix-all tool that includes enhancements to the ship editor scenes as well as the in-flight things it does now. The list of ideas I have is far too long compared to the time and energy I have to put towards it though. This one bug just sticks in my craw because it can trash hours of work, so I went after it. [shrugs]

Is HyperEdit compatible with .23?

It's always best to check our site for the latest info. You'll find all the answers you need there.

Usually, when there's an update, I'll test right away, but you can too. If it works, great - if not, check to see if we've announced on our site.

This time, the Launcher and my game install failed to notify me of the update, so I'm only just now getting it myself.

How about a button to poke to reset all the planets to their default orbits? Would be nice if it could also yoink along everything orbiting them in their non-default locations. Too bad, so sad for anything not in a closed orbit around an out of location body. But hey, you're moving things with HyperEdit so just move those yourself.

And now for something completely different. What I'd like to see from Kerbaltek (or anyone doing plugins and mods) is a plugin that in the VAB and SPH can align parts to the same plane and or rotation. It would be especially useful for getting landing legs all set to the same level and for making sure all the wheels on a rover are straight and on the same plane.

Such is made a bit difficult by the game using something other than degrees for rotation and in VAB the vertical positions of parts are measured from the VAB floor so if you move the whole ship up and down, the values for the vertical positions of all the parts changes. I dunno how the position is measured in the other axes. It's possible to edit this in a text editor, even in the persistent file.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52288-Rover-wheel-alignment

Still would be easier to be able to control+click a bunch of parts then click a button to align them, either to the average of selected, highest of selected or lowest of selected.

What I have no idea how it works is where the vertical (or other axis) position of parts is measured from in space. What are the rotations in space measured relative to?

Another program I'd love to see is a separate one that can pull things out of the persistent or quicksave files and save them as craft files which can be loaded in SPH or VAB. That would be just the thing for when you discover at the end of a long trip that you forgot something or brought extra items/weight you didn't need. Copy it out, open it in VAB, make the changes then go back to the external program to swap out the modified craft in the save. Might get a bit tricky for several things docked together.

To be able to do that with landed crafts it would have to be able to save the position/rotation values of what it's overwriting, and doing anything which alters the distance of the COM from the lowest parts would very likely result in an intersection with the ground or having the craft dropping a ways. Neither would likely have a good outcome, unless there would be a way for the program to adjust for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.