[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

Hi @alexilahio

Welcome to the forums :)

If you can build it in the VAB or SPH then you can use HyperEdit to move it elsewhere!

(Everything's a vessel when all's said and done!)

When I'm building bases I do it in the SPH as it's more conducive for building flat structures (Space Stations are better planned in the VAB).
You might want to grab this plugin too 

as it extends the buildable area of your vessels (so you can create massive things so long as your machine can keep up with the Part Count!).

So, a quick tutorial is what you were hoping for?

1. Build your base, making sure you include everything you need and some kerbals, and probably some way of communicating with the KSC!).
  2. Launch, so that you're out in the game.
  3. Open up HyperEdit, go to the Orbits panel and it should be set to the Active Vessel and the body should say Kerbin.
  4. Apply the orbit.
  5. Decide where you want to put your base, then change the orbit body to that planet.
  6. Quick-Save for safety/convenience reasons!
  7. Open up the ship lander panel and make sure the selected body is set to the planet you're orbiting.
  8. Stick in the Lat/Lon coordinates - it will probably take a bit of guessing (I always try to make sure it's somewhere on the planet that is getting sunlight for the solar panels)
  9. Now for the tricky part, the Alt(itude). For most vessels this can be anything below 100 but with bases you need to be careful that you don't end up clipping the surface as
    I'm still working out the kinks of orientating vessels the right way up. (This is where the Quick-Save/Load can be your friend!!)
  10. Click the Land button and with any luck your vessel is near the surface (not under it!) and you have enough space to rotate it so that it ends up landing the right way up!
    If you're happy with your landing spot you can click the save button to save the lat/lon/alt for your base in case you need to get more stuff there!
  11. Profit!

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what to do?

Cheers

HI @fronbow !

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer !! Very helpful indeed ! I'm gonna try it right now and see how I can make the most of it !!

Not sure I'll be able to do evrything properly for the first time but I'll be asking for more infos in that case ! Not sure how you can rotate the "vessel" : I had tried once and my base happen to land vertically on Mun then fall over on one side :S

I'll try to manage the landing then ! As for the coordinates I'll be landing with a normal rocket before to check up the place so I'll get good enough coordinates I hope !!

Thans A LOT for the tips anyway :wink:

20 hours ago, alexilahio said:

hi everybody !

Sorry to put this here (do please move to wherever it's best to appear in the forum).... but this is the HyperEdit topic right ?

Well I've been looking (probably badly)... but I didn't find a tuto on how to HyperEdit  a base (like, to mun or duna or everywhere else)  we would have pre assembled. 

Is that possible or does it work with vessels only ? Is it possible to send the whole VAB elsewhere ?

Thanks a lot and again : very sorry to ask a dumb question in here.... I didn't wanna create a topic for that

Welcome!  Dumb questions are perfectly fine here.  :cool:

Okay then !!

So I seem to have understood the basics of building the base and getting it into kerbin then propoer orbit

Landing seems more complicated though ^^

Picking the right sport as well. I went to land with  a KX rocket at 1° 31' 38" S and 55° 52' 47" W but I don't really know what to enter on HE to get close to that point ! 

But getting there, getting there :wink: If anybody can enlighten me I'll feel smarter :D 

got it for  lat and lon compared to landed ship

positive values for North and East, negative otherwise. I just didn't know ! That's cool !! Thanks guys for the tips, really. The game is a real challenge and if u still wanna have a life IRL it's good to take short cuts :D

43 minutes ago, Dragon1057 said:

Anyone else having issues with the download link on the Kerbaltek site?

Nope.  We have hundreds of downloads every day, and everything is working smoothly.

If you could be more specific, I may be able to help.  Are you getting any error message or notice from our site?

4 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Help! I was messing around with the planets and I didn't realize that changes to planets stay when you change saves! Kerbin is around Jool now how do I fix this?

Al you need to do is remove the simple text files that are saved for each planet.  You can find them inside the Kerabltek folder inside GameData.  They may be inside other sub folders for HyperEdit and/or PluginData.

EDIT:  Don't panic!

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...

I've come up against a strange bug in hyperedit, I made a video demoing it.

The problem is after doing a hyperedit jump into orbit around a planet, timewarp gets wonky.  What happens is that when I do a simple timewarp to speed up a little, the entire vessel jumps forward in the orbit a bit.  Going back to the space center and then back to the vessel seems to fix whatever is going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zp9ysn7hojamek/HyperEditTimeWarpJumpDemo.mp4?dl=0

Edit:  I've gone back into my career game and verified this, that returning to the space center after doing a hyperedit jump and then returning seems to fix whatever is going on.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've come up against a strange bug in hyperedit, I made a video demoing it.

The problem is after doing a hyperedit jump into orbit around a planet, timewarp gets wonky.  What happens is that when I do a simple timewarp to speed up a little, the entire vessel jumps forward in the orbit a bit.  Going back to the space center and then back to the vessel seems to fix whatever is going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zp9ysn7hojamek/HyperEditTimeWarpJumpDemo.mp4?dl=0

Edit:  I've gone back into my career game and verified this, that returning to the space center after doing a hyperedit jump and then returning seems to fix whatever is going on.

This bug has been there for well over a year.

1 hour ago, Tex_NL said:

This bug has been there for well over a year.

May be, but I wasn't aware of it until I tracked it down.

1 hour ago, LawnDartLeo said:

He's bordering on Northeastern... but certainly has some eastern seaboard in there.

Am I close?

Yup.  NY/NJ, but I've been told I have a british accent by some people, which is where grandparents are from.

2 hours ago, fronbow said:

Cheers for this, @linuxgurugamer

A video works wonders for these kinds of bugs :)
I'll have another look for possibilities as to why or how this is happening.

EDIT: And commentary too, nice.
(Where is your accent from? btw)

Cheers again

I know.  I couldn't think of a better way to show it.

Thanks

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

May be, but I wasn't aware of it until I tracked it down.

Don't worry. I wasn't criticizing you. Nobody can notice every bug in every mod.
It was more an expression of mild frustration that a well known bug is STILL present more than a year later.

Just now, Tex_NL said:

Don't worry. I wasn't criticizing you. Nobody can notice every bug in every mod.
It was more an expression of mild frustration that a well known bug is STILL present more than a year later.

Yep, my bad.  Just know that it is on our list of issues, and I/we fully intend to fix it eventually.

So, good news, thanks to @linuxgurugamer's excellent video I can now recreate this error.

Bad news, the jury's still out on how to solve it.

I haven't tried to find a cut-off point (yet!) but when I tried a higher value (as in greater than the body's high space altitude) this behaviour doesn't seem to happen? Either that or it's not really noticeable due to the altitude and planet surface not being as detailed.
I will continue to try and find a solution other than saying "don't teleport to an orbit with x altitude"

1 minute ago, fronbow said:

So, good news, thanks to @linuxgurugamer's excellent video I can now recreate this error.

Bad news, the jury's still out on how to solve it.

I haven't tried to find a cut-off point (yet!) but when I tried a higher value (as in greater than the body's high space altitude) this behaviour doesn't seem to happen? Either that or it's not really noticeable due to the altitude and planet surface not being as detailed.
I will continue to try and find a solution other than saying "don't teleport to an orbit with x altitude"

One way to look for the cutoff point is to decelerate until the orbit is intersecting the planet, and then try the warp, you will be able to see if it jumps on the planet

I wanted to know, i looked for a while and did not find any info on this, i was using the ship lander and i saved a couple biomes like kerbin mountains to launch from higher up for testing and when i loaded my save up the next day all my saved coords were gone. i checked and i found the coords save file, if i restart my game it deletes it, so i copied the file and put it in the same folder under a different name. It deleted that too. What reason is there to have a save coords button if they get deleted on a per session basis.

So far i have found that i did not have the beta version, i got it and then got rid of it after 5 seconds of using it. the beta version does not have the delete coords issue, it instead has the issue where if i fine tune my landing site it sets my longitude to 359. Saving my coords like that is worthless. i would rather keep my coords file saved somewhere else and paste it in the mod folder each time i want to use them instead of not being able to make full use of the fine tune function. Lesser of the 2 evils i suppose (or something like that).

When you say fine-tune, I assume you mean using the I,J,K,L keys whilst the vessel is being lowered to the surface?
I'm still ironing out the bugs with fine-tuning as it doesn't seem to behave consistently across all landing bodies.

(FWIW, this has always been somewhat of a beta plugin given the time and space bending it does!!)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Greets, ya'all!

We are thinking of removing Planet Editor entirely, and I'd like to get everyone's input on this.  Please comment here, or in the issue for it:  https://github.com/Ezriilc/HyperEdit/issues/48

Also, I've done some testing with our latest BETA, and I'm not able to reproduce the reported problem with saved planets not reloading after game restart.  If anyone is still experiencing this, please try w/ our latest BETA and report back.

That is all.  Thanks!

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'd like to use HyperEdit on a moded RSS, RO KSP version, running on 1.2.2, but somehow the orbit editor doesn't work. I can use all the other elements of HyperEdit, but the one I'm most interested about is Orbit Editor and when I click on it, nothing happens 
I'm using version 1.5.3, since it's the verison for 1.2 of KSP.

Does anybody have an idea of the problem, and a solution?

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.