[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

23 minutes ago, mercaholic75 said:

Just used the BETA version to get a mission done that id already had a chance to do but didnt click accept for it. By far the scariest most unstable thing ive ever used but it got the job done. Holy crap that BETA needs some work. I was sitting on the edge of my seat while my ships were flinging around in orbit after I had just set them up to rendezvous together. Im scarred for life. :(

As much as I enjoyed your tale, if you were to provide more (any?) details, we could possibly nail that problem down.

:D

i had the mission for transferring Kerbals from one vessel to another around the Mun and I used the BETA version of HyperEdit to instantly place one of my vessels at 100000m orbit around the Mun and then had another vessel rendezvous with it at and they both started glitching out and skipping back and forth in the orbit. I was finally able to dock them but they started shaking violently and tried EVA with and it just started hitting my Kerbal and sending him off to god knows where. I can replicate it and record it and send it to you if you want.

Thank you for updating HyperEdit for 1.4.1.  As in the past, I use it extensively for testing purposes.  That is, before launching the real mission with a new configuration (for instance to land on a planet or moon), I use HyperEdit to put the vehicle in orbit above that body.  I then verify that my systems can land the vehicle safely and determine what adjustments I need to tweak.  I then launch the real mission.  Otherwise, it would be sorely frustrating to arrive at a planet only to discover I can't land.

I am using the BETA.

Edited by Apollo13

10 hours ago, mercaholic75 said:

i had the mission for transferring Kerbals from one vessel to another around the Mun and I used the BETA version of HyperEdit to instantly place one of my vessels at 100000m orbit around the Mun and then had another vessel rendezvous with it at and they both started glitching out and skipping back and forth in the orbit. I was finally able to dock them but they started shaking violently and tried EVA with and it just started hitting my Kerbal and sending him off to god knows where. I can replicate it and record it and send it to you if you want.

Thanks for your report!

Most of that sounds like it may matche some of our known issues.  I wonder if you'd be willing to read through them to see if they describe what you've seen.  If so, please comment on the issue, or here.  https://github.com/Ezriilc/HyperEdit/issues

All input is appreciated.  :)

I had never heard of this mod until I watched a youtube vid of someone building a base and showed his base on the Mun and said he just put it up all at once for the vid using HyperEdit. I said, "wait, what". Had to check it out just because. I built a stupid size base just to try this out. Sent it to orbit, then to Mun orbit. Picked a coordinate at 100m and sent her down. It never went upright for me and I had to fumble turning this huge thing almost all the way around before touch down (landed upside down a couple of times). It was like trying to turn a football field. I found the best way to do this was just to enable Alt-F12 and set it to be indestructible before trying to land the beast so it didn't self destruct at landing. I mean, it's already a cheat, might as well go all the way. Well it works if you want to send up a gargantuan base all in one shot. Kudos for the simple reason that I'm always amazed what the modders figure out what can be done in this game. Some diehards probably cringe at the thought of using something like this the way they do with Mechjeb. Hey, whatever works to have some fun. For those who get this, might as well get Vessel Mover too. They kind of go hand in hand if your football field size base ends up not landing exactly where you wanted it, just move that sucker anywhere you want.

Edited by MikeO89

I think I may be missing something.

The old release version of Hyperedit uses a file named "HyperEdit.dll". and it works.

The Beta download only includes a file  named "HyperEdit_BETA-3.dll" and it's not been working

Is the filename difference significant? Or is it something else that hasn't been mentioned?

The normal release is a zipfile with the usual ~Gamedata\ based content.

26 minutes ago, Wolf Baginski said:

The Beta download only includes a file  named "HyperEdit_BETA-3.dll" and it's not been working

@Ezriilc will have to comment to be sure, but when there's just a .dll, take the most recent full install and replace its .dll with the updated .dll.

1 hour ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I think I may be missing something.

The old release version of Hyperedit uses a file named "HyperEdit.dll". and it works.

Is the filename difference significant? Or is it something else that hasn't been mentioned?

The normal release is a zipfile with the usual ~Gamedata\ based content.

@Jacke is correct (thanks for your help!).  Per the instructions on our site.

Just make sure that whatever .DLL file you're using, that it's the only one, and that it's inside the GameData folder.

2 hours ago, Ezriilc said:

@Jacke is correct (thanks for your help!).  Per the instructions on our site.

Just make sure that whatever .DLL file you're using, that it's the only one, and that it's inside the GameData folder.

Thanks, that's what I was doing. What I started me off wondering was the FAQ you have on the HyperEdit webpage which gives a different procedure, that looks rather odd for the release downloads.

31 minutes ago, Wolf Baginski said:

Thanks, that's what I was doing. What I started me off wondering was the FAQ you have on the HyperEdit webpage which gives a different procedure, that looks rather odd for the release downloads.

Yes, the procedure in the FAQ is for normal use, and the Experimental (BETA) versions have an additional set of instructions for using the BETA versions.

I suppose I could improve the language of our mod pages.  I'm open to any input as to how it should read.

The procedure in the FAQ is not what I did with the release version download, which is a standard zipfile containing the same sort of filesystem everyone uses

Gamedata/

Kerbaltek/

Flags/

HyperEdit/

HyperEdit.dll

So I just extracted the Kerbaltek subfolder into the live Gamedata in my KSP install, and it works.

Some mods don't bother with including the Gamedata/ folder in the zipfile. I really think that if you're doing something different it would be worth having a ReadMe that mentions it in the zipfile.

Hyperedit 1.4.1 beta 3 on KSP 1.4.2 (mac)

Hi there. 1st time using hyperedit. Great tool to test your ship before committing to a mission! Here's some feedback, hope its useful.

If I hyperedit a single stage probe from Kerbin's launchpad to another planet's orbit (Duna in this case), everything works fine.

If I do it with a ship with multiple stages everything works fine until I stage the ship. Then it starts glitching as described by mercaholic75, with the ship wiggling back and forth. I'm then also unable to set maneuver nodes, and if I burn the engine, the orbit on the map view doesn't seem to change. If I try to go to the space center at this point, it'll say that I can't exit with a ship moving on the ground. If I'm not mistaken, the staged part doesn't glitch. Just the main ship.

Thanks for this awesome mod!

Edited by xjames
further clarification

34 minutes ago, xjames said:

Hyperedit 1.4.1 beta 3 on KSP 1.4.2 (mac)

Hi there. 1st time using hyperedit. Great tool to test your ship before committing to a mission! Here's some feedback, hope its useful.

If I hyperedit a single stage probe from Kerbin's launchpad to another planet's orbit (Duna in this case), everything works fine.

If I do it with a ship with multiple stages everything works fine until I stage the ship. Then it starts glitching as described by mercaholic75, with the ship wiggling back and forth. I'm then also unable to set maneuver nodes, and if I burn the engine, the orbit on the map view doesn't seem to change. If I try to go to the space center at this point, it'll say that I can't exit with a ship moving on the ground. If I'm not mistaken, the staged part doesn't glitch. Just the main ship.

Thanks for this awesome mod!

We recommend that you don't go straight from the surface directly to orbit another body.  Edit your orbit to be around the body you're on, then edit it to orbit the other body.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:09 PM, Wolf Baginski said:

The procedure in the FAQ is not what I did with the release version download, which is a standard zipfile containing the same sort of filesystem everyone uses

Gamedata/

Kerbaltek/

Flags/

HyperEdit/

HyperEdit.dll

So I just extracted the Kerbaltek subfolder into the live Gamedata in my KSP install, and it works.

Some mods don't bother with including the Gamedata/ folder in the zipfile. I really think that if you're doing something different it would be worth having a ReadMe that mentions it in the zipfile.

The current setup makes it easy to install and use, by simply extracting to the game's root folder.

I find this program useful if wanting to put a base or something on a planet quick. Something I would really like to see is in the coordinates area. Would be great if this mod would switch to the standard coordinates system that KSP uses, ie in the degree, minutes, seconds, direction. I can use mechjeb to right click and find coordinates of lets say a ship I already have on the planet to get a location. Problem is then using this mod to approximate somewhere close to it, I'm completely lost. For example take something like this

2° 3' 5" N      126° 11' 38" E. I have no idea how to turn that into the format this mod uses.

Edited by MikeO89

14 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

I find this program useful if wanting to put a base or something on a planet quick. Something I would really like to see is in the coordinates area. Would be great if this mod would switch to the standard coordinates system that KSP uses, ie in the degree, minutes, seconds, direction. I can use mechjeb to right click and find coordinates of lets say a ship I already have on the planet to get a location. Problem is then using this mod to approximate somewhere close to it, I'm completely lost. For example take something like this

2° 3' 5" N      126° 11' 38" E. I have no idea how to turn that into the format this mod uses.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal

Thank you for this mod, I still have an issue anyway as I can't download your latest version as it says there's too many download request. Tried a few time but I'm unable to get 1.3.1 version to put the updated DLL with it...

EDIT // Forget it... suffice I post here for this to work...

Edited by FrancoisH
Downloaded it finally

On 4/2/2018 at 11:30 AM, Ezriilc said:

We recommend that you don't go straight from the surface directly to orbit another body.  Edit your orbit to be around the body you're on, then edit it to orbit the other body.

I was having issues with a HE'd vessel being flagged as traveling over land, but this fixed part of my issue.

I edited a vessel into orbit around kerbin, and then into rendezvous with a station around minmus (Forgot a part and I had ships waiting to dock that needed that part).    Now, when I time warp, it is jumping ahead in it's orbit at times.    Using 1.5.6 for 1.3.1. 

I'm assuming this is a known bug, but my question is, will this persist if I switch to other ships, namely the ones waiting to dock?  Will I have a station jumping around all over the sky?

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I was having issues with a HE'd vessel being flagged as traveling over land, but this fixed part of my issue.

I edited a vessel into orbit around kerbin, and then into rendezvous with a station around minmus (Forgot a part and I had ships waiting to dock that needed that part).    Now, when I time warp, it is jumping ahead in it's orbit at times.    Using 1.5.6 for 1.3.1. 

I'm assuming this is a known bug, but my question is, will this persist if I switch to other ships, namely the ones waiting to dock?  Will I have a station jumping around all over the sky?

Yes, that is a known issue.  I believe that changing scenes (like to Tracking Station) and back will fix it.

EDIT:  Also, you can see that issue here:  https://github.com/Ezriilc/HyperEdit/issues/14

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Me likey. One thing I want is it to build a professional rocket that is easy to fly for a prebuilt payload that I can legitimately fly.

Practice makes perfect, and HyperEdit definitely helps me with new craft designs and mission plans.

My favorite craft builds are on my site (Craft Kitchen), please help yourself.  "Kolsys" is my best ship.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.