[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

ohhh okay, it's 7-zip I was supposed to be using. See, I knew it was "something-zip", but I totally forgot what it was actually called. Many thanks

No, you're not "supposed" to be using anything. It's a standard .zip file like all others. ANY standard zip archive tool will work.

I just RECOMMEND 7-zip because it's free and good.

Hi,

is there any workaround to save my planetary changes?

this would be nice!

Sorry, not yet. I think that falls under the "make all settings persistent" item on our todo list, though, so it will happen eventually!

Why do you care? This is the only official HyperEdit plugin for KSP, so why would a license from its past matter?

EDIT: That was rude, and I'm sorry. :blush:

The license is GPL, and I've added that to the readme ("HyperEdit_ReadMe.txt") along with basic unzipping instructions, added the readme to the .zip file, and uploaded the new .zip to the SpacePort and our site.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

khyperia has clearly blessed your taking over of HyperEdit; the original thread has been modified to state this. No problems there. But, if there was a license attached to the original code, you are almost certainly legally obligated to include it and the original copyright with the new code. You should also, as a bare minimum courtesy, mention the original author on the OP, your website, and in the code base. I'm glad that you're taking responsibility for the mod, but please don't present khyperia's work as your own.

Edited by Mr Shifty

khyperia has clearly blessed your taking over of HyperEdit; the original thread has been modified to state this. No problems there. But, if there was a license attached to the original code, you are almost certainly legally obligated to include it and the original copyright with the new code. You should also, as a bare minimum courtesy, mention the original author on the OP, your website, and in the code base. I'm glad that you're taking responsibility for the mod, but please don't present khyperia's work as your own.

For the record.

• As the new owner - rather than a licensee or 3rd party - I'm not legally obligated to do anything, other than to honor whichever license I choose to use.
  • My website has contained a credit to HyperEdit's creator since before its existence was made public.
  • I've never suggested that I created HyperEdit.
  • The creator of HyperEdit has conveyed their strong wish to have nothing more to do with this project, and only begrudgingly allowed the credit I've already given.

For the record.

• As the new owner - rather than a licensee or 3rd party - I'm not legally obligated to do anything, other than to honor whichever license I choose to use.
  • My website has contained a credit to HyperEdit's creator since before its existence was made public.
  • I've never suggested that I created HyperEdit.
  • The creator of HyperEdit has conveyed their strong wish to have nothing more to do with this project, and only begrudgingly allowed the credit I've already given.

Again, let me reiterate that I'm glad you're on this project. Under US copyright law, original copyright is established merely by creating content; no notice or registration is required. And, the exclusive rights granted to content creators cannot be transferred to someone else except via a written, signed agreement. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you didn't have a transfer of ownership, but rather a broad licensing.

I want apologize once more about my "Why do you care?" comment. I know exactly why you care, and they're the same, excellent reasons I and others do.

Furthermore, you all have every right to question me about every detail of the project, and it behooves me to offer information freely.

DYJ and 42undead2,

Not only was my comment rude, but it was disrespectful to members of the community who willingly share in the well being of HyperEdit. I'm sorry and I will do my best to never react that way again.

Again, let me reiterate that I'm glad you're on this project. Under US copyright law, original copyright is established merely by creating content; no notice or registration is required. And, the exclusive rights granted to content creators cannot be transferred to someone else except via a written, signed agreement. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you didn't have a transfer of ownership, but rather a broad licensing.

I appreciate your concern, and I understand. I assure you that I do have complete ownership, and that I'm respecting all applicable laws, as well as the rules from Squad regarding Add-Ons.

However, if anyone thinks something is missing, please speak up and I will do my best to address any issues that remain.

I appreciate your concern, and I understand. I assure you that I do have complete ownership, and that I'm respecting all applicable laws, as well as the rules from Squad regarding Add-Ons.

However, if anyone thinks something is missing, please speak up and I will do my best to address any issues that remain.

Yes something is missing, and that is some humility from yourself.

You are acting as if this is your god given right to take over this project. If you keep up the attitude you are displaying now you will ruin the legacy hyperedit created.

Please pull your head out otherwise you will run this project into the ground and I really don't want to see that happen. In fact, if you keep it up I will create an offshoot of this plugin as an alternative to dealing with yourself.

Yes something is missing, and that is some humility from yourself.

You are acting as if this is your god given right to take over this project. If you keep up the attitude you are displaying now you will ruin the legacy hyperedit created.

Please pull your head out otherwise you will run this project into the ground and I really don't want to see that happen. In fact, if you keep it up I will create an offshoot of this plugin as an alternative to dealing with yourself.

I'm sorry you're upset, but I'm confused as to what else you expect me to do.

As for my rights, I've asserted only those given to me by law. If you feel differently, please let me know where I'm wrong, specifically, and I will correct the matter immediately, as I've done so far.

By all means, the GPL license I've granted you gives you the right to fork this project, and I encourage you to do so if you wish.

The question was asked about a previous license for HyperEdit, and for the sake of transparency, I went digging for it and found nothing. In fact, so far I see no evidence that the creator designated any particular license at all. If someone is aware of one, please point me to that info.

Since, as Mr Shifty pointed out, the law states that a work's originator retains all rights by default, that means that without any explicit designation, HyperEdit was not legally open to being forked by anyone. So, I've taken the step to add that explicit statement to the project, in writing.

I'm not saying that the creator didn't mean for it to be this way all along, just that I do now.

Could you do something about engines being automatically fired after one warps to an orbit?

I'm glad to find out that I wasn't imagining this. I will add this to the list of things to investigate.

Are you able to reproduce this consistently? If so, can you provide any more details of when exactly it happens? If not, that's cool, but it might help.

I haven't experienced the engine firing bug, but more often than not I'll see a huge RCS burst right as the vessel arrives at its destination. Almost like a momentary physics freak out.

I haven't experienced the engine firing bug, but more often than not I'll see a huge RCS burst right as the vessel arrives at its destination. Almost like a momentary physics freak out.

Hmmm... I seem to think that's not caused by HyperEdit, since it doesn't touch RCS, but I'm no expert. If anyone thinks this is a HyperEdit issue, I'll add it to our hit list.

Hmmm... I seem to think that's not caused by HyperEdit, since it doesn't touch RCS, but I'm no expert. If anyone thinks this is a HyperEdit issue, I'll add it to our hit list.

I'll run some more tests on it this weekend to see if something else is interfering. It's not a debilitating problem by any means, just an oddity. More like the spacecraft appearing in a big Houdini-esque puff of smoke! :)

I'm glad to find out that I wasn't imagining this. I will add this to the list of things to investigate.

Are you able to reproduce this consistently? If so, can you provide any more details of when exactly it happens? If not, that's cool, but it might help.

Happens virtually every time. Both on moving my ship to an orbit or when using the land feature right after launch (for example when transporting a car to the poles for testing). Had it with the old version and the one you've released.

Happens virtually every time. Both on moving my ship to an orbit or when using the land feature right after launch (for example when transporting a car to the poles for testing). Had it with the old version and the one you've released.

I use the land feature a lot and I've never seen it activate engines or stage that I can recall. I assume you've tried various ships and whatnot.

I appreciate the info. It is certainly a problem, and I hope we can work out a solution.

Ah, But does everyone who plays KSP live in the US?

Ah, But does everyone who plays KSP live in the US?

As far as the law is concerned, I doubt it matters where other people playing KSP reside. On the other hand, if the mod author resides in the US, I would imagine that US copyright law would apply. On the gripping hand ("mote in god's eye" ref), any copyright issues that may or may not have existed seem to have been ironed out, based solely on the posts in this topic.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer, not in law school, and have no intention to do so. The above statements are not intended to be binding in any way, shape, or form, and I can not guarantee their veracity (I may not be a lawyer, but that doesn't mean I can't parse legalese English aka "lawyer-speak")

Edited by SciMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.