[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

I think I've run into a bug, I'm not 100% sure if it's hyper edit, but I can't re-create the same test setup without hyper-edit. 

If I hyper edit the craft below into orbit, decouple the docking ports and switch to the part with the large RCS tank, when I try to time warp it says "can't time warp while moving over the terrain".  If I then switch back to the part with the probe core and battery it will time warp, but the debris part will either just vanish, or will appear to zoom away (actually it's staying perfectly still, locked in place above a point on the surface).  

I've found this happen with several configurations of parts, noticed it when trying to HE a station into orbit and in that case no parts where decoupled, I just couldn't time warp, so I started disconnecting parts until I could. At which point the "problem parts" all vanished. 

The "problem parts" seem to be debris modules, ie sets of parts without a probe core. 

This is my example test craft, it's just a probe core with a battery on one side, two docking ports and a large RCS tank on the other
Rt59zNj.jpg

exploded view
rHbTyZY.jpg

If you HE that into orbit, you will be able to timewarp as expected, but if you decouple the ports then you will get odd behaviour. If you switch to the debris you won't be able to timewarp, if you try to timewarp from the probe core the debris will vanish.

I've tried launching that module normally on a rocket, and when doing that I can't get the bug to happen.  So either having the other parts changes the setup or it's hyper-edit.  

katateochi,

Thanks for the detailed report.  Lemme see if I can reproduce this, but we really need to try it without using HE to see if it's related.  I'd like to know if it happens when HE is installed but not used, and also without HE installed at all.

It should be easy enough to launch a ship into orbit and then decouple some parts - shouldn't that work?

Oh yea, which version of KSP and HE are you using?

@Ezriilc 
In my completely mod free setup I launched the same module on a rocket but was unable to replicate the issue.
In my setup with HE (and MJ) installed I did the same (regular launch) but couldn't replicate the issue, both rocket and debris module separated fine and I could timewarp after switched to each one as expected.
In the same setup I then HE'd the whole rocket into orbit, this time, when I separated the rocket section (which does have a probe core) it vanished. However when separating my test module it didn't cause the bug. ? (the only difference was that in this setup I'd flipped the probe core around so it was the right way up on the rocket, don't know if that's significant or not).

1 minute ago, katateochi said:

@Ezriilc 
In my completely mod free setup I launched the same module on a rocket but was unable to replicate the issue.
In my setup with HE (and MJ) installed I did the same (regular launch) but couldn't replicate the issue, both rocket and debris module separated fine and I could timewarp after switched to each one as expected.
In the same setup I then HE'd the whole rocket into orbit, this time, when I separated the rocket section (which does have a probe core) it vanished. However when separating my test module it didn't cause the bug. ? (the only difference was that in this setup I'd flipped the probe core around so it was the right way up on the rocket, don't know if that's significant or not).

Great work.  That is very strange, and worse, I cannot replicate it.

I suspect this may be something getting triggered by HE rather than actually being caused by it directly, but I can't be sure so I'll call it a bug until we learn more.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you go to the Space Center and then back?

3 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

Great work.  That is very strange, and worse, I cannot replicate it.

I suspect this may be something getting triggered by HE rather than actually being caused by it directly, but I can't be sure so I'll call it a bug until we learn more.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you go to the Space Center and then back?

oh bugs, they're such fun aren't they! 
I'll see if I can make a save file for you with it setup to happen, but I've not tried to see what happens over a quicksave or a switching to space center, so not sure if that's possible.  

5 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

We both keep forgetting:  what versions of everything?  Are you using the 1.1 pre-release?

doh! sorry! yes 1.1 pre- build 1174 - on windows 7
I just tried undocking and the quicksaving and reloading before trying to timewarp, but if I do that then all works normally (which at least provides a workaround, but not helpful for tracking the bug!).

not sure if this will help, here a little vid showing what I'm doing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/no8lxxqc2d67u7a/KSP_x64%202016-03-31%2018-37-21-92.avi?dl=0
HE to orbit, time warp a bit to show that you can, decouple, switch to "debris" part, try to time warp a couple times, no dice.
switch back to probe section, timewarp, other section vanishes (except it doesn't, as I pan up you can see it about 30km away)
switch to map mode, and you can see the debris part is not moving relative to the surface while I timewarp 

21 minutes ago, katateochi said:

doh! sorry! yes 1.1 pre- build 1174 - on windows 7
I just tried undocking and the quicksaving and reloading before trying to timewarp, but if I do that then all works normally (which at least provides a workaround, but not helpful for tracking the bug!).

That might be why I couldn't replicate it.  ;) Sure enough, in 1.1 I did see the un-commanded section vanish.  EDIT: I used a probe core that was the proper way round.

I will pin this as something to look at for sure.

Thanks again for the great report.  Please let us know if you learn anything new.

Edited by Ezriilc

Hi @Ezriilc,

Thanks for the beta release!

I am experiencing a weird problem with the Navball that only occurs immediately after a Hyperedit orbit change:

1. Build a small vehicle (Mk1-2 CM, X200-32 tank, Poodle engine, RCS, solar panels, Mechjeb AR202 case) and send it to Duna 100000km orbit using Hyperedit Orbit Editor (Simple).

2. Send an identical vehicle to Duna 200000km orbit using Hyperedit Orbit Editor (Simple).

3. With the 2nd vehicle active, in the map, select the 1st vehicle as the target and use Mechjeb Rendezvous Autopilot to RV with the 1st vehicle.

4. Mechjeb will start to setup the RV, but the Maneuver Node marker in the navball starts to wobble. The wobble gets so bad that Mechjeb starts to fly the vehicle in circles.

I have found that the navball wobble does not affect Mechjeb if you return to KSC immediately after using Orbit Editor.

HyperEdit_Beta3_v1.1.DLL

KSP v1.1.0.1183

Mac OSX

Edited by Fury1SOG
Added HE, KSP, OS info

Fury1SOG,

You're very welcome, and thanks for the detailed report.  Since we're pretty busy lately, could you do some more testing for us?

How many times has this happened?   Have you tried a simpler ship?  What if you don't use MechJeb to do the flying?  What about other planets?

Any more info you can gather is appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

17 hours ago, Ezriilc said:

Fury1SOG,

You're very welcome, and thanks for the detailed report.  Since we're pretty busy lately, could you do some more testing for us?

How many times has this happened?   Have you tried a simpler ship?  What if you don't use MechJeb to do the flying?  What about other planets?

Any more info you can gather is appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

Hi @Ezriilc,

1. The problem seems to happen for every launch. However, i just noticed that if you go back to KSC, and then select the vessel again from the Tracking Station, all further HyperEdit Orbit Editor changes will not exhibit the wobbly maneuver node in the Navball. Perhaps there is some problem with the initial orbit after transitioning from the launch pad.

2. The problem also occurs with a Mk1 CM, FL-T200 tank, Terrier engine and RCS.

3. I am not a very good manual pilot, so I haven't tested too much, but the problem also seems to occur without Mechjeb. The wobbliness occurs during the last 0.5 m/s or so of Delta-V during a burn. However, a human controller can just ignore the wobbliness, so I suppose the problem is less severe. 

4. The problem doesn't seems to occur in LKO. The problem is particularly noticeable in Duna and Mun.

@Ezriilc I found a bug in 1.1 beta linked to a part from UKS mod, the scan-omatic soil sample system. Have this part on your ship and when you hyperedit It will throw your ship where it should be except its status is landed and no orbit lines are created, it is at correct altitude though while shaking violently. Took me forever to figure which part was causing the trouble  here. And yes this is reproduceable, just put this part on a pod and hyperedit to orbit...

And thank you for the fast release

edit: map view screenie

v2XTy85.png

Edited by merlinux

16 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

merlinux,

I need more info about what you're trying to do.  Please give us a step-by-step path to reproduce this.

okie :)

1- install 1.1, hyperedit and  uks

2- go to vab and create a craft

3- add the scanomatic soil sample system anywhere on this craft

4- launch and use hyperedit to get in orbit around wahetever body at whatever altitude

5- observe bug I just spoke about.

1 minute ago, EVA_Reentry/Strangelove II said:

Hi! How to get stationary/geosynchronous orbit over ksc using hyperedit? (Speed, orb. period, etc.)

Hi, EVA...!  Believe it or not, I don't rightly know exactly how to do that, but I'm pretty sure it's possible and easy.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but...

You can find details on Kerbin and the other planets in the Wiki.
http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin

Then punch the numbers into the Orbit Editor in HyperEdit.

I hope this helps!  If not, please tell us.

Using KSP 1.1.0.1203 and Hyperedit Beta3.

Trying I noticed when using the orbit editor to throw a ship into space, the vessel will consider itself still landed. The view wobbles and all sorts of stuff is broken.

As a workaround, I have to 'hack gravity', nudge the ship off the landing pad until kerbal engineer tells me the vessel situation goes from 'landed' to a flying state, then i can use the orbit editor freely.

Seems like the vessel doesn't realize it's in flight after an orbit change and gets stuck in some broken state.

Edited by methodermis
add version info

3 minutes ago, methodermis said:

I noticed when using the orbit editor to throw a ship into space, the vessel will consider itself still landed. The view wobbles and all sorts of stuff is broken.

As a workaround, I have to 'hack gravity', nudge the ship off the landing pad until kerbal engineer tells me the vessel situation goes from 'landed' to a flying state, then i can use the orbit editor freely.

Seems like the vessel doesn't realize it's in flight after an orbit change and gets stuck in some broken state.

I'm not aware of any issue like this.  Please give us more information.

What other mods are you using?  Have you tried it with just HyperEdit and no others?
Provide a step-by-step guide to reproduce the behavior, and a copy of your .craft file or .sfs save file.  You can the Contact form on our site.
What OS are you on, and which versions of everything are you using?

6 hours ago, Ezriilc said:

I'm not aware of any issue like this.  Please give us more information.

@Ezriilc This sound like the same issue I referred to you a few posts up. Same symptoms anyway(getting thrown out at an altitude while the status still remains at "landed" and everything wobbling/shaking and broken)

My guess is that it is due to some parts (not sure which as it only happened on one of my vessel), probably only modded parts (I can confirm it happens with the scanomatic soil sample system from UKS)

I did some testing and Hyperedit appears to work normally for vessels built with stock parts (aka I never encountered this bug using stock parts only).

@methodermis It would be useful if you could debug your craft and see exactely which part is causing this problem. Ive managed to isolate the problem in my case, by slicing my craft in 2 in the VAB and checking which slice wouldnt hyperedit correctely. And then continuing the process until you are left with the culprit

Edited by merlinux

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.