Build as big a MOBILE planetary base as possible.

The objective of this challenge is to build as big a base as possible that can still be driven on the surface of a planet.

What I have made.

TheKerbinator.jpg

So far I am still trying to figure out how to get it off the runway without it falling apart. Other then that it actually drives rather well with a tested top speed of 12.5m/s and it turns nearly on a dime. A video will be shown of it once I manage to get it off the runway somehow (maybe persistence file editing). The thing weighs in at about 210 tons.

Yes I know the screenshot sucks. I like to think of it as a spy photo.

EDIT*

Here is a video of the giant moving base as well.

http://youtu.be/ipZVNboStsE

Edited by GenJeFT
Added video link.

You must be able to drive it on the surface of a planet so it must use wheels. Beyond that make any outlandish thing you want.

How about tracks? :P

I present: the Far Wanderer-class mobile base.

peOkYkO.jpg

I'm currently working on getting it to another planet.

Vehicle mass: 670 tons

Vehicle crew: Maximum 497, regular 243

Which mods did you use for the things that appear to be green houses on that giant tracked monster?

It's a custom user-made add-on to the Ioncross Crew Support plugin. Not sure who the original creator is, though - I came across it in the screenshots thread. You can get it at this link, if you're interested. Doesn't need Ioncross to look cool and open/close.

Also, the base on orbit, on its way to Eve (no HyperEdit used, just lots and lots of rockets):

D25Dlcb.jpg

Edited by NGTOne

It's a custom user-made add-on to the Ioncross Crew Support plugin. Not sure who the original creator is, though - I came across it in the screenshots thread. You can get it at this link, if you're interested. Doesn't need Ioncross to look cool and open/close.

Also, the base on orbit, on its way to Eve (no HyperEdit used, just lots and lots of rockets):

D25Dlcb.jpg

I want to see that thing land. Record it if you can, that's going to be a nightmare to get to touch down intact.

I want to see that thing land. Record it if you can, that's going to be a nightmare to get to touch down intact.

It's actually surprisingly sturdy - it has to be, to survive the ascent. (18 7.5m "Elder Goddess" rockets at liftoff - MASSIVE thrust. That whole package you see in the picture, with the drop tanks and the skycrane, clocks in at a hair over 2500 tons to an 80km orbit). Those side tanks drop off on the way to the destination, leaving only the 6 tanks with the engines attached as the skycrane. I actually designed this one because my last rolling base design (the base itself came in at about 360 tons, roughly double that with the skycrane) couldn't survive the landings - the wheels would always snap off, no matter how gentle I was. The structure would actually survive until the wheels started breaking off - then the high G on Eve would smash it into the surface at 15 m/s, and it would blow up, hard. I spent the better part of a day and a half trying to land it, but I always had wheels snapping off (and the subsequent destruction of the vehicle). End result: a more sturdy (though much larger) vehicle with a much more robust (albeit slower) propulsion platform. If I can get this one (the first example of this class that's gone off-world) to Eve, I want to try giving it a longer range, so I can send it interstellar when the time comes.

Completely stock, no cheats used to get it up.

Damn that was hard.

R2cV25F.png

Built by docking the bus and lander. Will be adding an interplanetary stage soon, though probably after I've finished my college assignments, and built the ISS and scripted an Atlas V on Roblox.

Edited by RedDwarfIV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.