[Request]

I've been trying to build a vehicle to move and taxi around some of my jets in the KSC, but I can't get them to work... The idea is a truck that traps the front landing wheel of the aircraft to drag it around, but I can't figure out how can it be done (I have tried landing legs but it seems they won't do the trick).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe instead of that, try putting a docking port on the bottom or near the cockpit and one on the truck at the same angle and height so that they can dock. I've seen a few trucks on the forums that use this.

That was one of the solutions I thought... But the docking ports don't allow much torsion, so it wouldn't make sharp turns...

I use a docking port on the top of the aircraft, and a vehicle tugs it along via a boom equipped with a docking port. True, turning pays a price, but I have noticed that by raising the front landing gear and playing with which wheels have steering control enabled, one can get a reasonable taxi.

Retract some of the landing gear on the plane, preferably as much of the front gear as possible without the plane collapsing. When you dock you can then invert steering on a few rover wheels of the tug so that they all turn the same direction. You effectively end up with a front wheel drive front wheel steering car, just a very big one. Reasonably effective.

Alternative I have used is to actually stick rover wheels on the plane, if you have them so that they are slightly higher than the landing gear wheels then they are protected from bursting under landing, then you can retract the rear landing gear (or front if you went that way) to lower the rover wheels into contact with the ground. I tend to only do one end of the craft.

I made a taxi car thing, however its a little glichy. It uses a ramp to get the wheel... acually i should show you some pics instead.

On the runay

tumblr_mp2ka6WsXm1swydyxo1_1280.png

towing

tumblr_mp2ka6WsXm1swydyxo2_1280.png

and driving away

tumblr_mp2ka6WsXm1swydyxo3_1280.png

to tow you need to run into the front tire. Then to untow you need to press G while moving

It isnt perfect but it is ksp. Here is the download link incase you want to try

http://www./?pnx4n8s316xs252

Retract some of the landing gear on the plane, preferably as much of the front gear as possible without the plane collapsing. When you dock you can then invert steering on a few rover wheels of the tug so that they all turn the same direction. You effectively end up with a front wheel drive front wheel steering car, just a very big one. Reasonably effective.

Alternative I have used is to actually stick rover wheels on the plane, if you have them so that they are slightly higher than the landing gear wheels then they are protected from bursting under landing, then you can retract the rear landing gear (or front if you went that way) to lower the rover wheels into contact with the ground. I tend to only do one end of the craft.

I managed to do something similar, but instead of docking, I trapped the casing of the front landing gear into the structure of the tug... Kinda worked, but stepping down the runway was too much for it hahaha

The thing with the rover wheels... I have done that a couple of times... The ting is that I want to move some planes that are already built.

I made a taxi car thing, however its a little glichy. It uses a ramp to get the wheel... acually i should show you some pics instead.

On the runay

tumblr_mp2ka6WsXm1swydyxo1_1280.png

towing

tumblr_mp2ka6WsXm1swydyxo2_1280.png

and driving away

tumblr_mp2ka6WsXm1swydyxo3_1280.png

to tow you need to run into the front tire. Then to untow you need to press G while moving

It isnt perfect but it is ksp. Here is the download link incase you want to try

http://www./?pnx4n8s316xs252

Thanks! That's something similar to the idea that I have been working on... Just mine didn't work really well (at all) :P

Thanks! That's something similar to the idea that I have been working on... Just mine didn't work really well (at all) :P

No problem, it is a little buggy so dont go faster that, ummm i havent figured that speed yet sorry. Just dont go past lets say 5 m/s

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.