[1.0.4] SciFi Shipyards [Discontinued]

StarVision

I'm afraid the update for this mod is going to take a lot longer than I anticipated. Recently I had to "refresh" my computer, which basically re-installs windows while leaving documents intact. After doing this it creates a folder called windows.old which contains all the previous Program Files and other stuff. What I didn't know is that after a certain time, it decided it should delete this folder. So almost everything is gone, except the original model files themselves. I've tried going back into it through a system restore, but the files are all corrupted. The only good news is that I finished modeling the internal for the new Phoenix.

Anyways, don't expect an update anytime soon.

I'm afraid the update for this mod is going to take a lot longer than I anticipated. Recently I had to "refresh" my computer, which basically re-installs windows while leaving documents intact. After doing this it creates a folder called windows.old which contains all the previous Program Files and other stuff. What I didn't know is that after a certain time, it decided it should delete this folder. So almost everything is gone, except the original model files themselves. I've tried going back into it through a system restore, but the files are all corrupted. The only good news is that I finished modeling the internal for the new Phoenix.

Well - that sounds like a huge pile of shi.. bad luck..

I'm sorry for your loss - it was a great mod..

I have here one or two of your blend files - if that helps, let me know..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey StarVision, how likely would you be hosting your mods on either github or kerbalstuff so it can be CKAN indexed? Its super neat if you haven't messed with it yet. Takes the headaches out of mod installing. My request is specifically for the flag decals... My flag pack is hosted on github and indexed thanks to user blu3wolf for CKAN, and I'd love to have your decal mod up there too.

I am having some "issues". hoping someone can help me out. i am trying to assemble the phoenix, however the parts are not attaching to the phoenix command module. neither the engine or the parachute will attach to the nose or rear of the pod.

Well - that sounds like a huge pile of shi.. bad luck..

I'm sorry for your loss - it was a great mod..

I have here one or two of your blend files - if that helps, let me know..

It's not as bad as you might think. Basically all the models themselves are in-tact, but anything else is gone. Luckily I can just download the mod from Curse and go from there, but that means I have to re-do some more recent stuff.

Hey StarVision, how likely would you be hosting your mods on either github or kerbalstuff so it can be CKAN indexed? Its super neat if you haven't messed with it yet. Takes the headaches out of mod installing. My request is specifically for the flag decals... My flag pack is hosted on github and indexed thanks to user blu3wolf for CKAN, and I'd love to have your decal mod up there too.
Does the Flag Decal pack still work in 1.0?

The flags should work fine, although I'm unsure if they're actually in the tech tree since some of the node names have been moved around and changed. I'll try and get that sorted out tonight. About hosting it on a different site: I'll check it out, but no promises. I'd prefer to just have one download that needs updating.

I am having some "issues". hoping someone can help me out. i am trying to assemble the phoenix, however the parts are not attaching to the phoenix command module. neither the engine or the parachute will attach to the nose or rear of the pod.

This is because of the new way the attachment node system works. I can easily fix it and should be done within an hour.

Edit: The Phoenix should be fixed, the flag decals as well. The legacy parts pack has also been updated, hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Edited by StarVision

I totally understand that. CKAN however is amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it. Alternatively, would you allow me to bundle the Flag Decal Pack with my flag mod? I'll make sure I keep the most up to date in the pack. Your call. One final thing, do you ever think you will make a version that is only just a couple of parts with tweakable sizes or is the scaling more involved that that?

Starvision, if you would like, I can reverse engineer most of your mod for you (models and textures). I won't (at the moment) be able to reverse the plugins. I'll need to find a good decompiler. In future it is good to backup your data on a thumb drive (I do). Let me know how I can help.

-Esk

[Hacking and reverse engineering since 1989]

I totally understand that. CKAN however is amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it. Alternatively, would you allow me to bundle the Flag Decal Pack with my flag mod? I'll make sure I keep the most up to date in the pack. Your call. One final thing, do you ever think you will make a version that is only just a couple of parts with tweakable sizes or is the scaling more involved that that?
Perhaps I will upload it to KerbalStuff than. I'll try and look into it tomorrow. And I like your idea of having just some basic scalable parts. The only problem with that is that for each different size of cylinder, there are a greater/lesser amount of sides, so the flag might not mesh well with it. I can try it out though, and maybe I can use something like the Firespitter mesh switcher if that doesn't work out.
Starvision, if you would like, I can reverse engineer most of your mod for you (models and textures). I won't (at the moment) be able to reverse the plugins. I'll need to find a good decompiler. In future it is good to backup your data on a thumb drive (I do). Let me know how I can help.

-Esk

[Hacking and reverse engineering since 1989]

Once again, this thing isn't nearly as bad you may think it is. Basically I lost all config progress made after the latest file hosted on Curse. So in this case the Phoenix and some small tweaks here and there. I've already redone that and progressed further than I had before the Refresh. Thanks for the offer regardless.

StarVision, when you update your parts' configs, one of the new features in 1.0 is the ability to sort by cross-section. You can specify which cross-sections your parts have with a "bulkheadProfiles = whatever1, whatever2,..." line in the config. For example, your flags should all be "srf" for surface-attachment (as they currently are by default), but probably also for "sizeX" depending on what curvature they follow.

StarVision, when you update your parts' configs, one of the new features in 1.0 is the ability to sort by cross-section. You can specify which cross-sections your parts have with a "bulkheadProfiles = whatever1, whatever2,..." line in the config. For example, your flags should all be "srf" for surface-attachment (as they currently are by default), but probably also for "sizeX" depending on what curvature they follow.

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can implement it.

Any update on the kerbalstuff/CKAN availability sir?

Sorry, I kind of forgot about it. I did create the .ckan file, I just never did anything with it. I guess I have to add the file to the CKAN github or something. If I have some free time this weekend I'll try and get it working. It's near the end of school so things are getting kind of busy.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just looked at this mod, what can I say aside from WOW :cool::) Kerbo Krosso plane (note to self, install as soon as possible) Just need airframes from Kurtis and Kerprone ;)

Edited by John.E

StarVision does fantastic work, and I can't wait to fly his TARDIS again. My only niggle: the brass lock plate goes on the right door, not the left with the "PULL TO OPEN" sign. :)

• 2 weeks later...

StarVision, I understand your computer is going through difficult times and development is halted, but I can't help but ask: Would you consider taking a go at the Serenity, from Firefly/Serenity?

Long ago I saw that Devo was working on one, but he hasn't been online since may, so it would be safe to assume the project is closed there. And seeing you're the local Dreamship Artisan... :P

Please mind, I'm in no away demanding this from you. It's just an innocent, genuine question. :)

StarVision does fantastic work, and I can't wait to fly his TARDIS again. My only niggle: the brass lock plate goes on the right door, not the left with the "PULL TO OPEN" sign. :)

You are correct. The blueprints I was using placed it on the wrong side. I'll see if I can move it.

StarVision, I understand your computer is going through difficult times and development is halted, but I can't help but ask: Would you consider taking a go at the Serenity, from Firefly/Serenity?

Long ago I saw that Devo was working on one, but he hasn't been online since may, so it would be safe to assume the project is closed there. And seeing you're the local Dreamship Artisan... :P

Please mind, I'm in no away demanding this from you. It's just an innocent, genuine question. :)

I have not actually seen Firefly (nor do I plan to in the upcoming future). I tried watching it, but I just couldn't get past the western music. Anyway, That's besides the point, as I'm not really doing any more big things.

Also my computer is actually fine, and it has been for months. The thing holding me back right now are Exams (almost over), and the Crimson Pig. I've tried everything but the wings always seem to explode when loaded. I'm not sure if it's related to the new aerodynamics, or if its just a new collider issue. Hopefully I should be able to finally finish this update once school is done, but until then not much is going to get done.

I have not actually seen Firefly (nor do I plan to in the upcoming future). I tried watching it, but I just couldn't get past the western music. Anyway, That's besides the point, as I'm not really doing any more big things.

Also my computer is actually fine, and it has been for months. The thing holding me back right now are Exams (almost over), and the Crimson Pig. I've tried everything but the wings always seem to explode when loaded. I'm not sure if it's related to the new aerodynamics, or if its just a new collider issue. Hopefully I should be able to finally finish this update once school is done, but until then not much is going to get done.

Haha! I kind of understand. I was put off by all the western at first. When you have spare time, I'd recommend. It's Joss Whedon at his best! ;)

Also, I hope you can figure out what's going on with the Red Pig. Really love your pack. (Your texture work is amazing!)

I remember when you first released Voyager. I was so excited following your dev process and downloading each dev build. Flying it was a lovely experience; I used it to fly 2 prop-driven firespitter bi-planes to Laythe in the cargo bay, which remains about the most fun I've had with KSP to date. It worked great with or without FTL mods and your other ST and scifi offerings were just icing, all working great but none quite as versatile as voyager for general kerballing.

Since then, it seems your mods have been limping forward in a half-to-fully-broken state, compounding problems with each KSP update, which is heartbreaking considering what a positive first experience I had with this wonderfully conceived and well executed mod as a lifelong star trek superfan.

I dowloaded the new version 3.0 with bated breath, hoping that some of the problems keeping me from using this mod would have been cleaned up, but alas. I can't quite bring myself to keep testing with so much other non-broken kerbal content to explore, but I will certainly keep an eye on your changelogs and try later versions as they're released. I'll list some of the issues that have been plaguing my Kerbal SciFi experience and I apologize if some have been resolved; I'll start with what went wrong with this latest version and go backwards a bit:

1. Voyager nacelles with stock propulsion are grossly overpowered: This problem has become even worse with the new thermal mechanics as the saucer section explodes in atmosphere with the throttle set to anything above 1/100th or whatever. I can't imagine why you would ever give it this much thrust. The saucer section propulsion is well balanced for landing but has been made largely redundant with Voyager's RCS system. The way I'm looking at it, I don't need to get to Eeloo with a 1 second burn and if I want speed that extreme I would use voyager in conjunction with an FTL mod anyway. Having an imperfectly balanced load in the cargo bay ensures that voyager spins out immediately with this much raw thrust. I edit the .cfg as a workaround but it's a bit of a chore to find the right value with each update considering each test requires a re-launch of KSP on my aging rig. IIRC, Enterprise has a similar issue but less severe.

2. The green attach nodes aren't working properly (affects landing gear, nacelles, cargo bay.) The current workaround in the VAB is to put everything together upside down (or backwards) and use the rotate tool to position correctly. I think you can fix it in the .cfg file for the parts as well but I never bothered doing this since the VAB workaround is simple enough in general while waiting for updates. A lot of mods had this problem with KSP 1.0.x including the classic habitat pack and the parameciumkid jump drive (which still has this issues as it hasn't been updated for KSP 1.0.x) and I think of it as a minimum requirement for claiming 1.0.x compatibility. I'm not sure how you missed this.

3. I had texture problems with both ATM and Texture Replacer. With one, the entire hull would glow bright white when saucer lights were activated and with the other, the IVA for voyager was almost completely black (respectively, I believe.) I remember that the Enterprise didn't have the black IVA problem but did share the lighting issue. I didn't bother testing the new version with Texture Replacer or ATM since it doesn't look like you've changed anything about the models and it's not so big a deal to play without TR if I want to do Voyager things. Your pack is worth a separate KSP Scifi install if everything else is working correctly but it means I don't play with it as often and can't do as large a variety of different things without having it part of my main KSP install.

4. It was valiant to try to have compatibility with KSPI, KSPI lite, and the Standalone Warp Drive plugins but it always seemed spotty and often times I had trouble getting the voyager nacelles (for example) to recognize whatever plugin was installed. This was always the most reasonable issue since mod dependencies can be frustrating for everyone, especially with mods that update frequently or change significantly. I only ever looked into them for your star trek ships anyway and usually settled on stock propulsion (impulse) and telling myself a story about how warp wouldn't be installed until Tuesday. I wish your mods came bundled with an optional FTL solution that works for sure, even if it starts to fall out of date before you can update it, like some mods do with firespitter. I think the standalone warp plugin is the best for your purposes, especially considering its very appropriate warp bubble effect and the fact that it's not embedded in a large, complicated mod.

5. Why is voyager so light? Increased mass would allow for more of a better unbalanced load margin in the cargo bay and then the thrust from the nacelles would make a lot more sense. It might be my memory playing tricks or the new aerodynamics, but I feel like voyager was much more massive when you first released it. Its terminal velocity as it stands is hilarious given that Voyager is a reasonably aerodynamic thing when pointed in the direction of travel. Semi-related, I think you should give all of your parts a ridiculous thermal mass. I'd like to think that nothing short of flying into the sun should pose a realistic risk of exploding.

Well, those are the biggest things that have kept me from really using your mod. All of your ship models are gorgeous and the IVA's are fantastic. I'm happy you're still working on them but I hope you can put just a bit more care into the actual gameplay aspects as well in the future, for a better out-of-the-box experience. I sort of miss where things were going with the LCARS mod too but I haven't tried it in a while and I'm not sure if it ever outgrew it's teething issues, especially with performance on my older rig. All the same, it just seemed to make sense to bundle it with scifi shipyards and I'm surprised the partnership didn't stay as tight as it started out.

Thanks for all your work! Live long and Prosper!

Edited by azyouthinkyouiz

-snip-

Thanks for all your work! Live long and Prosper!

1. The ships definitely don't explode as often now, and I think I messed with the thrust values a bit for the new update. I will however later this week actually go through everything and balance them out. Hopefully some level of consistency can be reached.

2. Fixed. That was an issue with the new node system. In the new system nodes can only face one way (to prevent placing parts inside of each other) so I had to go through all the parts and make the nodes face the right way.

3. That was something to do with texture formats I think. I haven't had any of those issues so far, although I also haven't tried out ATM since 1.0 was released.

4. I was always sort of looking at those module manager patches and thinking "good enough", so I'm not too surprised they didn't always work. I think you're right, and I should just stick to the standalone warp drive. Next release I'll try and get a working patch going.

5. Once again a balancing issue, which I'll go over next update for sure.

Thank you very much for your in depth report. It should help me sort through some of the issues and correct them. It's nice to get feedback that isn't just "make this ship from this series". I appreciate it. hopefully I can deliver a fully working and balanced update by the end of the week.

edit: you're saying the nodes didn't work with newest version. That's weird, because they were definitely working for me. I'll look into it.

edit 2: Did you per chance just click download? I originally had 3.0 as an alpha release, so you might have downloaded the last file marked as a regular release instead. I've already fixed that problem, so it shouldn't happen again, if it even did to begin with.

Edited by StarVision

The Type-F shuttlecraft really doesn't like flying. In some cases it starts a runaway action where it just sort of flies in circles uncontrollably and accellerates speed, with no SAS, RCS, or Engine on. Is it because you're using the old Module system or something? Is it because you've tried to make it glide too well?

EDIT: How do you dock Shuttlecraft to the Enteprise? It'd be real nice to not have the shuttle crushed against the bay doors whenever I jump to warp.

One more thing: RoverDude's Warp Drive mod compatibility, is that going to be a thing?

The Type-F shuttlecraft really doesn't like flying. In some cases it starts a runaway action where it just sort of flies in circles uncontrollably and accellerates speed, with no SAS, RCS, or Engine on. Is it because you're using the old Module system or something? Is it because you've tried to make it glide too well?

I think it is still using old wing parameters, so that's probably it. Should be working fine by the end of the week.

EDIT: How do you dock Shuttlecraft to the Enteprise? It'd be real nice to not have the shuttle crushed against the bay doors whenever I jump to warp.

There's no special way to do it. Just radially attach a docking port or something.

One more thing: RoverDude's Warp Drive mod compatibility, is that going to be a thing?

Yep.

I think it is still using old wing parameters, so that's probably it. Should be working fine by the end of the week.

There's no special way to do it. Just radially attach a docking port or something.

Yep.

I did manage to get the Enterprise to work with a warp engine. So that was nice. I set it to 31.4x c warp speed, which is 1/10 of the max safe speed of the Enterprise (Old scale Warp 6). I had to remove the Impulse Power and replace it with more powerful RCS engines so that you don't thrust and warp with the throttle.