[1.6] Davon Throttle Control systems mod [v088]

PrivateFlip

Have the same with K.R.X. Kerbal Rotor Expansion. While "outdated" it's a parts only mod that uses stock plugin. Everything works fine with them until activating DTC at which point the engines from this lock at whatever output previously generated. Deactivating does not restore function though reverting to before DTC was activated the engines work normal.

5 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Have the same with K.R.X. Kerbal Rotor Expansion. While "outdated" it's a parts only mod that uses stock plugin. Everything works fine with them until activating DTC at which point the engines from this lock at whatever output previously generated. Deactivating does not restore function though reverting to before DTC was activated the engines work normal.

Okay, strange behaviour, narrowing it down to one mod makes it more feasible for me to look into this. 

Thank you for reporting this.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Ericwi said:

Can someone compile this for 1.3.1, please?

Did you check to see if it doesn't work before attempting to bug the developer for a recompile?

For the record, it all shows up fine in my v1.3.1 install when I take a plane out to the runway but I just set it up this week and haven't been able to do any real testing. If I find any issues I'll post them here

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 12/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, Ericwi said:

Can someone compile this for 1.3.1, please?

Most of the time my mods work fine between small version upgrades, so I don't bother to update them until someone reports a problem.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:48 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Did you check to see if it doesn't work before attempting to bug the developer for a recompile?

For the record, it all shows up fine in my v1.3.1 install when I take a plane out to the runway but I just set it up this week and haven't been able to do any real testing. If I find any issues I'll post them here

I was busy for another mod anyway, so just made a a compile for 1.3.1 and did some testing. Everything seems to work like as expected. Center thrust functionality appeared more jittery, but it still centers the thrust adequately.

I did some testing and the mod does not seem to work currently.  

With the module active I could not get any kind of throttle to work.  After much fooling around I had 1 engine set as throttle 1 and the other as throttle 2, with center thrust mode on, and then slider 2 would operate both engines.  I got airborne and continued messing with all the settings, and could not get the engines to throttle back down no matter what I tried.   Even disabling the module would not turn throttle control back over to stock.  

On 1/8/2018 at 7:39 AM, eberkain said:

I did some testing and the mod does not seem to work currently.  

With the module active I could not get any kind of throttle to work.  After much fooling around I had 1 engine set as throttle 1 and the other as throttle 2, with center thrust mode on, and then slider 2 would operate both engines.  I got airborne and continued messing with all the settings, and could not get the engines to throttle back down no matter what I tried.   Even disabling the module would not turn throttle control back over to stock.  

did you notice the developer just posted before you everything was working fine? Not saying you're wrong but you saying things aren't working right after the dev says they are working is rather pointless without also providing log files because I'm going to believe the dev otherwise...

Edited by Drew Kerman

8 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

did you notice the developer just posted before you everything was working fine? Not saying you're wrong but you saying things aren't working right after the dev says they are working is rather pointless without also providing log files because I'm going to believe the dev otherwise...

I'm planning on trying a test with only the mod on a clean install to see if its a conflict with something else, but wife has had me busy watching all the marvel netflix stuff and haven't had a chance yet. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:39 AM, eberkain said:

With the module active I could not get any kind of throttle to work.  After much fooling around I had 1 engine set as throttle 1 and the other as throttle 2, with center thrust mode on, and then slider 2 would operate both engines

Ok @PrivateFlip I finally got around to trying this and can confirm similar behavior. Here's what it looks like doing nothing with throttle 1 active:

ssfVpAc.png

But yea turning on center thrust makes the second throttle work both engines. Also I found that if I activate the module prior to activating or staging the engines, the engines will not start. Ran this scenario on as stripped-down a save as I could to get the aircraft out to the runway. Output log

@eberkain no idea what you might have "fixed"?

12 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Ok @PrivateFlip I finally got around to trying this and can confirm similar behavior. Here's what it looks like doing nothing with throttle 1 active:

ssfVpAc.png

But yea turning on center thrust makes the second throttle work both engines. Also I found that if I activate the module prior to activating or staging the engines, the engines will not start. Ran this scenario on as stripped-down a save as I could to get the aircraft out to the runway. Output log

nope, I think it may have to do with specific engines.   I'm going to do more testing still.  

My previous statement that the mod affects kerbals on EVA is false. Totally unrelated coincidental thing.

Haven't tested for mod conflicts yet, unfortunately.

I am currently experimenting with limited throttle depth by tweaking minThrust and found out that DavonTC seems to ignore it. When enabled, engines with non-zero minThrust can be throttled past it down to 0.

Edited by Psycho_zs

14 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

My previous statement that the mod affects kerbals on EVA is false. Totally unrelated coincidental thing.

I am currently experimenting with limited throttle depth by tweaking minThrust and found out that DavonTC seems to ignore it. When enabled, engines with non-zero minThrust can be throttled past it down to 0.

Have you tested what happens with this installed?

You still get the full range of throttle, but 0 throttle is 20% thrust, or whatever the config has for the engines minimum throttle.  Not sure how it will interact with DavonTC yet, but its on my list to test. 

Returned to the thrust lock conflict and got the culprit on second try: SmokeScreen and RealPlume.

2 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Have you tested what happens with this installed?

Not yet, I took more stock approach for now. You can find my MM config in that thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is interesting. Not a sign of Davon in game. No icon in squad or blizzy toolbar. Yet are entries in the output log. Nothing in the F12 database loaded assemblies, or I missed it. In SPH or flight no means of interacting with this mod. I believe I have both SmokeScreen and RealPlume installed if that is relevant. Plus 129 other mods. When I sought to find the cause of the lack of Davon in game I quickly switched to the output log. A search for "Davon" brought plenty of entries but they all seemed to be dealing with loading Davon. Curiously there were no errors found near the results of my search. That might be because the errors do not mention the word Davon in them. If so then I would suggest a little work on the source code to spit out such in the future to aid in debugging. I also did not notice any errors thrown in game that I could not account for, that is to say yes I do have a few error messages and those seemed familiar to me. Nothing caught my eye as new but without association, like a new error without identification of its source. I post here in the hope my log might help others to find the cause of this failure and remedy it. Myself, I will remove the mod and continue my desire for thrust control with one of linuxgamerguru excellent mods.

Here is the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf4pxscidle973u/saves for Davon Thrust Controller.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

On 2/5/2018 at 8:32 PM, Apaseall said:

Well here is interesting. Not a sign of Davon in game. No icon in squad or blizzy toolbar. Yet are entries in the output log. Nothing in the F12 database loaded assemblies, or I missed it. In SPH or flight no means of interacting with this mod. I believe I have both SmokeScreen and RealPlume installed if that is relevant. Plus 129 other mods. When I sought to find the cause of the lack of Davon in game I quickly switched to the output log. A search for "Davon" brought plenty of entries but they all seemed to be dealing with loading Davon. Curiously there were no errors found near the results of my search. That might be because the errors do not mention the word Davon in them. If so then I would suggest a little work on the source code to spit out such in the future to aid in debugging. I also did not notice any errors thrown in game that I could not account for, that is to say yes I do have a few error messages and those seemed familiar to me. Nothing caught my eye as new but without association, like a new error without identification of its source. I post here in the hope my log might help others to find the cause of this failure and remedy it. Myself, I will remove the mod and continue my desire for thrust control with one of linuxgamerguru excellent mods.

Here is the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf4pxscidle973u/saves for Davon Thrust Controller.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

The mod requires a part to be added to your vessel. This part is found under controls.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, Drew Kerman said:

On 1/11/2018 at 10:57 AM, eberkain said:

nope, I think it may have to do with specific engines.   I'm going to do more testing still.  

This mod only works for the vanilla engine modules, not sure how fire spitter factor into this, which is what the A7 Aerosport Engine uses. Best is to test if the same happen for stock engines.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:30 PM, Psycho_zs said:

Could well be I don't take this into account, will add this for the next release for the next KSP version, assuming it's feasible.

5 hours ago, PrivateFlip said:

This mod only works for the vanilla engine modules, not sure how fire spitter factor into this, which is what the A7 Aerosport Engine uses. Best is to test if the same happen for stock engines.

Actually I'm using this with AJE, which you added support for. The mod at least now recognizes the engines, which is a good step forward, but seems it's still a tad buggy. I'm switching to a new set of engines soon tho because the AJE configs for these are a bit messed up actually so that could be a factor. Will report back when I have a chance to test

• 1 month later...

Update

-compiled for 1.4

-added support for engines which have a minimum thrust which was ignored as soon as this mod was enabled.

-making these also some error in center of thrust calculations where found when the engine adjustment hovers around zero percent. This has been improved.

Cool!

I haven't tested anything yet, but is there any progress on resolving conflict with SmokeScreen/RealPlume?

Edit: on first glance I do not see throttle lock problem anymore with SS/RP installed.

Edited by Psycho_zs

How much hassle would it be to account for possibility of minThrust changing at runtime?

There is a plugin that uses this trick to allow shutting down engines with non-zero minThrust: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/173478-minthrust-handling-request/ But it does not work while DTC is in control.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Started to play using this mod. I have noticed a few 'things'.

1. I tried to allocate keys for increase/decrease throttle. I pressed 7 on my keypad but that went to normal key 7. I read the manual quickly. Manually edited a profile to [7]. That now works. I could not get "insert" "delete" to do anything at all.

2. I wanted to stop using this mod, I wanted to turn it off after reaching orbit so that I could perform a circularization burn. I had throttle 1, 2 and 3 assigned to some engines. I clicked on the button in the pop up which said something about disable. Only throttle 3 seemed to be released back to normal. I say seemed because that is not the engine I wanted to use. What I saw was the removal of the piece in the part info that allows you to select which throttle group you want the part to belong to. I could not investigate further as I blew up whilst trying to work out what to do.

3. I play with MechJeb. Nice mod. I have a patch that adds MechJeb to all Command Modules. That way I do not have to remember to add a part during build time. I thought I would write a patch to do the same for this mod. Here it is;

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[DifferentialThrust]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = DifferentialThrust

//default direction of thrust 0 through 5 (backward, forward, down, up, left, right)
        CenterThrustDirection = 0

//wether to only use designated engines for centerthrust. 1 = All, 0 = Designated
        selEngGridInt = 1
    }
}

You will note that I added it to parts that have the module ModuleCommand. MechJeb has a part that needed to be added during build time in order to use MechJeb during flight. I reasoned that this mod also has a part that needed to be added during build time in order to be used during flight. So I copied and edited the patch that adds MechJeb functionality to command modules, which are the parts that have the module ModuleCommand.

I first thought of adding the module DifferentialThrust to parts that are engines. But I think I saw something about not doing that, whilst skimming this thread. Something about dynamically making changes during flight rather than using a patch to make changes to engine parts.

If I click on the cockpit, I see a button for TC. I presume that is for this mod as there is also a button called TC on my toolbar which takes me to this mod. TC can be clicked on in the cockpit, changing the display to active. However clicking on it again does not seem to do anything.

I am playing KSP 1.4.3.2512.

So...Can you comment on the ability to assign keys to throttles, why I could not disable throttle control and what your thoughts are on the patch I wrote.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@PrivateFlip

Been using this mod quite often now. I have a couple of requests.

1. Screenshots. Press F2 and all displays are hidden. Except this mods. I would love this mod to toggle display with F2 also.

2. MechJeb integration. Example. Circ burn. I presently have to set throttle association to zero. Otherwise the engine continues to burn when it should not. In more words. Say I have some nice settings for throttle 1 and 2. Allows me to burn a little more LF than LFO as one engine uses just LF. I brought excess LF with me. Once I hit space I cut back to zero on throttles 1 and 2. Now I want to set up for a circ burn. Click MechJeb. I now have a node at which I need to burn. Craft orientates for node. Engines would normally be set to zero and hit full thrust when node burn time arrives. If I set engines to throttle 0 I have zero thrust until node burn time. Then I get 100%. Which is expected. What I would like to do is set throttles 1 and 2 to a nice mix. But if I have engines on throttle 1 and 2 I have thrust prior to node burn. I hope I explained it.

Is it possible for you to do what I would like?

On 7/2/2018 at 7:47 PM, Apaseall said:

Hi, Started to play using this mod. I have noticed a few 'things'.

1. I tried to allocate keys for increase/decrease throttle. I pressed 7 on my keypad but that went to normal key 7. I read the manual quickly. Manually edited a profile to [7]. That now works. I could not get "insert" "delete" to do anything at all.

The window in which you can configure the throttle controls does not allow you to enter keys besides the once which produce a character. I will check if there is some way to do so.

2. I wanted to stop using this mod, I wanted to turn it off after reaching orbit so that I could perform a circularization burn. I had throttle 1, 2 and 3 assigned to some engines. I clicked on the button in the pop up which said something about disable. Only throttle 3 seemed to be released back to normal. I say seemed because that is not the engine I wanted to use. What I saw was the removal of the piece in the part info that allows you to select which throttle group you want the part to belong to. I could not investigate further as I blew up whilst trying to work out what to do.

In the main mod window there is a button "Deactivate module" this will deactivate the mod completely and return functionality back to regular operation. It is however possible the thrust limiter has been set by the mod to some other value then the regular 100%, for example zero. This might prevent engines from working after the mod is deactivated. The "All Normal" button can be pressed, before deactivating the module with "Deactivate module", which will set the engines to their default settings, to fix this latter issue.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:47 PM, Apaseall said:

I can regain control, by changing each engine throttle to group 0, but I do have to remember to sync that to the other engines of that type.

This shouldn't be needed when deactivating the mode like i described above. Some testing did not show similar issues.

3. I play with MechJeb. Nice mod. I have a patch that adds MechJeb to all Command Modules. That way I do not have to remember to add a part during build time. I thought I would write a patch to do the same for this mod. Here it is;

Hide contents

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[DifferentialThrust]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = DifferentialThrust

//default direction of thrust 0 through 5 (backward, forward, down, up, left, right)
        CenterThrustDirection = 0

//wether to only use designated engines for centerthrust. 1 = All, 0 = Designated
        selEngGridInt = 1
    }
}

You will note that I added it to parts that have the module ModuleCommand. MechJeb has a part that needed to be added during build time in order to use MechJeb during flight. I reasoned that this mod also has a part that needed to be added during build time in order to be used during flight. So I copied and edited the patch that adds MechJeb functionality to command modules, which are the parts that have the module ModuleCommand.

I first thought of adding the module DifferentialThrust to parts that are engines. But I think I saw something about not doing that, whilst skimming this thread. Something about dynamically making changes during flight rather than using a patch to make changes to engine parts.

If I click on the cockpit, I see a button for TC. I presume that is for this mod as there is also a button called TC on my toolbar which takes me to this mod. TC can be clicked on in the cockpit, changing the display to active. However clicking on it again does not seem to do anything.

As far as I can tell this script would add the module "DifferentialThrust" which is indeed the module you should add. This module adds other modules to the engines when activated and removes them again when deactivated. 

When I click the blue TC-button in the cockpit the mod activates, clicking again deactivates it, just like it does outside of the craft, so I'm not able to reproduce the behaviour you report.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:50 AM, Apaseall said:

@PrivateFlip

Been using this mod quite often now. I have a couple of requests.

1. Screenshots. Press F2 and all displays are hidden. Except this mods. I would love this mod to toggle display with F2 also.

2. MechJeb integration. Example. Circ burn. I presently have to set throttle association to zero. Otherwise the engine continues to burn when it should not. In more words. Say I have some nice settings for throttle 1 and 2. Allows me to burn a little more LF than LFO as one engine uses just LF. I brought excess LF with me. Once I hit space I cut back to zero on throttles 1 and 2. Now I want to set up for a circ burn. Click MechJeb. I now have a node at which I need to burn. Craft orientates for node. Engines would normally be set to zero and hit full thrust when node burn time arrives. If I set engines to throttle 0 I have zero thrust until node burn time. Then I get 100%. Which is expected. What I would like to do is set throttles 1 and 2 to a nice mix. But if I have engines on throttle 1 and 2 I have thrust prior to node burn. I hope I explained it.

Is it possible for you to do what I would like?

If other mods hide their windows on F2 I gues I can't stay behind. Will look into this.

In believe I understand what you would like to happen for point number 2. You would like to use this mod to configure a particular engine mix which would then be used proportionally by MechJeb. Besides the integration with MechJeb this would also change what these throttles mean in this particular scenario. Since the throttle settings act not like throttles but engine mix settings. What you want can however be relatively easily achieved by lowering the "Thrust Limiter" on the engines which should run a little slower in proportion to the other engines. This is part of the vanilla game. (This can be a little bit annoying if you have many engines which you have to set; this mod however supplies an extra option in the engine settings "Sync all <enginename>" which should sync all engines of the same type to the same settings, which also includes the thrust limiter setting.)

My apologies for the late reply, I'm not very active. Great to hear you have been using this mod a lot!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.