[1.6] Davon Throttle Control systems mod [v088]

PrivateFlip

I'll do some more testing myself and release an official .24 version over the weekend.

Great!

Quick Question: do you have an opinion on how much the module should cost?

I think you got it right with 1500 funds. It is a very high-tech module, designed for complex ship designs. It could even be a bit more expensive.

Only the "zero at center" function may be useful for beginners, with small single-engine ships. But hopefully this function will make his way to the stock game in the "settings" configuration panel.

PrivateFlip, I just wanted to drop in this thread and thank you for your work. I've been making extensive use of your mod these past couple of weeks for the VTOL disease I've been struck with. I'm using a split throttle, and being able to control vertical engines independently from horizontal thrust engines without having to contort my hands around a keyboard has opened up an amazing new way to play the game. In addition, being able to use the mod to keep something like a dual rotor helicopter from flying out of control after taking on or dumping a ton (or forty) of Kethane, has also greatly improved my enjoyment of VTOLs. Many thanks!:cool: Also, may I put a link to your mod in my sig?

Behold your handiwork!

screenshot190.png?psid=1

Price I can see being an issue as it is both an advanced item (automatic thrust balancing) and simple (multiple throttle levers). Having more than one throttle is basically more than one stick so isn't very complex and leads to cheapness, but the more advanced functions would properly be represented by a much higher price. Ideally for the economy these functions being split would work best so the simple is cheap and the complex is expensive. As that isn't practical however a mid range price I think would fit best as a balance between the two ends of what the module offers, maybe around 750.

Very looking forward to the official .24 release! :D

Great little mod, though unfortunately it falls short of what I need.

My previous solution - KCA - seems discontinued, but the code is on GitHub. Any chance you would be interested in trying to get this working again? I think the underlying maths of what he is doing is probably fine, it's just that game changes have broken the code.

I have some experience of KSP UI coding and would be willing to help there where I can, but the maths part is way beyond me.

Hi evilC; letting you know that I am investigating refurbing this mod; but look at the license.

ZRM left it with a share as much as you want; as long as you don't change anything license. If I ever get it working (it has a lot of old KSP stuff going on - no guarantees) I would have to release it as a "patch" (a series of diff files, that merely contain my changes). There is no way to release that code with its current license as an "updated" version (no derivatives allowed).

Unless ZRM came back and accepted a pull-request (which I might do if I like my code - not likely!).

I'd like to add, debugging someone elses code using the KSP debug window is a nitemare. WISH I could attach the visual studio debugger :(((

Updated (version 070):

-added ability to have joystick control only apply the deviation from the center instead of the entire axis. Thanks to Ucender for the patch!

-tested almost all functionality for .24 and haven't found any issues.

I think you got it right with 1500 funds. It is a very high-tech module, designed for complex ship designs. It could even be a bit more expensive.

Only the "zero at center" function may be useful for beginners, with small single-engine ships. But hopefully this function will make his way to the stock game in the "settings" configuration panel.

Zero at center is part of the current release. Joystick control was the one thing I couldn't test because of not having access to a Joystick. Could you maybe briefly go over the options of the .24 download? (I'm sure it's all fine, but I sleep better knowing.)

PrivateFlip, I just wanted to drop in this thread and thank you for your work. I've been making extensive use of your mod these past couple of weeks for the VTOL disease I've been struck with. I'm using a split throttle, and being able to control vertical engines independently from horizontal thrust engines without having to contort my hands around a keyboard has opened up an amazing new way to play the game. In addition, being able to use the mod to keep something like a dual rotor helicopter from flying out of control after taking on or dumping a ton (or forty) of Kethane, has also greatly improved my enjoyment of VTOLs. Many thanks!:cool:

Your welcome, good you're putting it to good use. I already had a mention of Diazo's mod in the manual, but put a more prominent comment in the first post.

Also, may I put a link to your mod in my sig?

But of course!

Very looking forward to the official .24 release! :D

:)It's just like .23...

Hi evilC; letting you know that I am investigating refurbing this mod; but look at the license.

ZRM left it with a share as much as you want; as long as you don't change anything license. If I ever get it working (it has a lot of old KSP stuff going on - no guarantees) I would have to release it as a "patch" (a series of diff files, that merely contain my changes). There is no way to release that code with its current license as an "updated" version (no derivatives allowed).

Unless ZRM came back and accepted a pull-request (which I might do if I like my code - not likely!).

I'd like to add, debugging someone elses code using the KSP debug window is a nitemare. WISH I could attach the visual studio debugger :(((

You might send EvilC a PM. Looked into it myself after EvilC asked and found the same license issues. Would be nice to find out if someone could contact ZRM to ask for permission to either change the license or pass the project to a new maintainer.

-added ability to have joystick control only apply the deviation from the center instead of the entire axis.

Can you clarify what this does, or how we would use it? I'd love to put it through its paces.

Can you clarify what this does, or how we would use it? I'd love to put it through its paces.

When "Zero at center" is on, the throttle will be set at 0% when the joystick is at center (neutral position, no force on it) instead of 50%. The throttle will still be set at 100% when the joystick is pushed fully. This way, the joystick acts much like a throttle pedal : the more force you apply on it, the more thrust you get - if you do not touch it, you have zero thrust.

Thanks PrivateFlip, I will test the new release tonight.

Edited by Ucender

Tested and approved : Davon Throttle Control System 0.7 works like a charm on KSP 0.24 Winx64 :)

By the way, "Zero at center" combined with "Invert axis" allows to control two sets of opposite engine using only one joystick axis. For example, assign the axis to the rear engines, with "Zero at center" option, and assign the same axis to the front engines, with both "Zero at center" and "Invert axis". The ship will accelerate when you push, and decelerate when you pull. See it in action : http://youtu.be/5KG3TCxlIK0

Alrighty, I need a bit of help here. In the past, when I've used engines specifically for horizontal thrust, I made sure my CoM and CoT were aligned first. When I use the mod to manage my VTOL thrust, I find it also has the effect of making my horizontal engines behave incorrectly. The mod alters the thrust level of each horizontal engine, in seemingly random ways, when it shouldn't be doing anything to them at all. I've tried experimenting with All, Designated, and Ignore, but any combination I find that allows for full manual throttle control of my horizontal engines, also disables the center thrust mode for the VTOL engines. Hope that made sense. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

screenshot356.png?psid=1

Kolago, those are from the now defunct TT Modular Wheels Mod. I happen to have a copy of it here. I actually deleted everything except the inline wheels you see in the pic, and the plugin folder which controls the animation.

Alrighty, I need a bit of help here. In the past, when I've used engines specifically for horizontal thrust, I made sure my CoM and CoT were aligned first. When I use the mod to manage my VTOL thrust, I find it also has the effect of making my horizontal engines behave incorrectly. The mod alters the thrust level of each horizontal engine, in seemingly random ways, when it shouldn't be doing anything to them at all. I've tried experimenting with All, Designated, and Ignore, but any combination I find that allows for full manual throttle control of my horizontal engines, also disables the center thrust mode for the VTOL engines. Hope that made sense. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The correct setting for the horizontal engines is indeed "ignore". This setting makes their thrust not be taken into account for calculation.

There are two things which could give the issues you describe:

-It's important to set the horizontal engines to 'ignore' before engaging the thrust center mode. So first set you horizontal engines to 'ignore' and only then press On (If center thrust was was already on, just flick it off and on to set everything straight). Doing it in reverse would cause these type of effects.

-In the the center thrust window you should also set the "Direction". Looking at your ship the direction should be "Down". Although you don't mention this setting, the effects you mention are somewhat similar to what I'm experiencing when I forget to set it. Especially if your vessel is somewhat balance on its own it's not always immediately apparent this that this is causing the issue.

For VTOL's it works best for me to first bring everything into the correct state and then saving the configuration into a profile, because it's easy to forget something.

• 1 month later...

Great Mod... makes my VTOLs fly. Does anyone use the Keypad for the throttle controls? I've tried, but they are only responding to normal numbers. There's a profile file, which i tried to change to KeypadNumbers but nothing worked for me.

Edited by funk

Really like this mod, few questions, concerns, feedback.

1. Issue: My profiles menu doesn't pop up when I click on it? Is this issue been previously reported?

2. Possible Bug: With the latest Firespitter pre-release candidate. I'm running the KAX PT-100's on a craft. If I set a specific thrust in throttle control, before cycling the engines on at least once, the prop animations will not play. Engines will thrust normally. Cycling the engines first before setting TC clears this issue.

3. I saw a few pages back in re: to toolbar integration. +1

4. Suggestion: The ability to pre-tweak engine throttles and limits in VAB/SPH would be nice. This may be a non-issue if profiles were working for me though I would probably run into issue 2.

Edited by Snacksquatch

Tested and approved : Davon Throttle Control System 0.7 works like a charm on KSP 0.24 Winx64 :)

By the way, "Zero at center" combined with "Invert axis" allows to control two sets of opposite engine using only one joystick axis. For example, assign the axis to the rear engines, with "Zero at center" option, and assign the same axis to the front engines, with both "Zero at center" and "Invert axis". The ship will accelerate when you push, and decelerate when you pull. See it in action : http://youtu.be/5KG3TCxlIK0

I really got to figure out how to use my gamepad with this game ;)

Now that my friend is very nice! I love the foreward engines, how do they fit with the new steering?

I like the idea of retro thrust but in the end I got rid of them. They didn't really add much to manoeuvrability of the craft, adding loads of SAS and B9 compressed air nozzles helps though :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.