Advanced display support?

Ticondrius

I work in the Planetarium at my University campus, and we would like to use KSP to create scenes for some of our shows. I need to know if we can output the game to a second display device (ultra-hd projector) without UI elements (We'd operate the game from another terminal), and display on said second device at anywhere from 1024x1024 to 4096x4096 with a fisheye projection, and mirrored (or not) right-to-left.

Can KSP be modded to do this, or is that level of customization up to the devs?

Your bigger concern would be the legality of doing so. You would be violating the license terms of the game by using it in your shows most likely. Sure if you dropped an email to SQUAD they would say yay or nay to the idea of you using.

As for what your after, I havent seen KSP running multiscreen before. Not sure if what you want can be done without compromises. Easiest would be plain old mirror displays and leave the UI on.

I think that this lies beyond the scope of what modders AND squad can do. From what i know Unity can only have ONE rendering window at a time. So your best chance would be, like 6677 mentioned, to use software to mirror your screens output... but i cant think of a mixed UI/NonUI system that could work with unity as it is today. Sorry

1. There's no question of legality. KSP isn't a movie, nor would we be using it on more than one computer. Also, Planetariums tend to all be non-profit. I have no idea why you'd think otherwise.

2. I didn't realize KSP uses Unity. Suddenly everything makes sense. I always thought KSP developed a little slower than it should...and that the devs seemed to feel constrained from their vision somehow. I hate developing for Unity, it's a pain.

The plugin system does have access to a lot of unity though, so I would think the sort of things you're asking for may well be possible (have a look at many of the camera mods that bring up a second view on the same monitor as a starting place).

You should be able to run the game at high resolutions, but I have heard of a Unity bug with Windows 7 x64 at high resolutions.

F2 in flight can hide UI elements, assuming you're able to fly without them. Failing that, Telemachus allows you to output telemetry to other computer via the network. Perhaps you could fly using that? Plan C: Arrange a craft that works correctly with MechJeb and have it do the flying for you.

Most graphics cards have the option to mirror their output. Check your card's software package.

Is any of the above suitable? If not, the game has many talented modders.

The KSP readme says "all rights reserved" to Squad, so if I was you, I'd rather be on the safe side and contact them. Maxmaps is Squad's new PR guy so you might want to drop him a message on the forum, he's on quite often and he's probably the best person to give you a header on this.

The simplest means to pull this off in my eyes seems to be to somehow create a new window, and create a dupilcate camera, as long as the code doesn't know to add the UI elements to this new window and camera it should turn out as you like; but also without further consideration it would A. Double the rendering costs of KSP, B. be an exact duplicate of the main window. I doubt it would be possible without major consideration in the deep code to allow for a second screen operating at a different resolution. However, it may be more possible to create a system that would record the events of the mission and play them back in the rendering engine without most physics later on; allowing for it to be played back at much higher resolution and hopefully lower load. Such a method may also permit it to be played back slowly, say one frame per second, and recorded that way, then sped up in editing, a great way to allow for better looking output on lesser machines, or programs that simply suck at being efficient.

I say all that but it's kind of a not-worth-it topic for mod devs right now because Squad has suggested they're interested in it

See this video

Unfortunately if you desire it to be live, you're kinda screwed.

Sidenote, you can currently edit the resolution in the main settings cfg, to allow for any resolution you desire.

I expect Squad would be more than happy to allow this show to happen, as you're not even allowing the visitors to play, it's basically a giant really nice advertisement, plus it sounds fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.