Your Kerbal Space Center Support Vehicles

Do you have a pic of your Kerbal Space Center ground or support vehicle?

Moving Kerbals, ships, fuel, and more around your space center is itself a challenge in logistics. Designing KSC based support vehicles becomes a necessity at some point. What are your solutions?

Im looking to see your KSC:

Trucks

Vans

Ladders

Cranes

Tankers

Vessel Retrievers

Habitats/Offices

Reusable support vehicles

Bikes, Buggies, Scooters

Balloon Lifters

Helicopters

Trains

Platforms

Ships

...basically any KSC based vehicle you use to support your space center operations.

Edited by inigma

I don't know how to upload ships, but I built a pick-up for crew retrieval. I can usually land my payloads within 20Km of KSC, so I can usually drive out and pick them up. To make the pick-up I took a cockpit, added a structural fuselage, battery, and SAS behind it. On top of the structural fuselage, I put 2x2m panels on top with rover chairs. Teh put cubic octagonal struts with strut connecter between them. I left the rear unstruted and place a ladder. Then added wheels, RTGs, lights, ect. I have a feeling, though, this is a fairly common design.

I designed a really good crane using B9 and KAS a while back, it was very slow but i could lift aircraft with it, i was going to use it to load an ICBM into a cargo plane and transport it to the Island Runway (Center of my Military operations well that and the Carrier right beside it) but i lost the craft file while updating, im in the market for new support vehicles now so il keep an eye on this thread

• 1 year later...

Presenting, Sparrowhawk's first line of ground vehicles!

Sparrowhawk Transport RVs

1Szutpy.jpg

While not being particularly the safest, the RV-Hitcher is the fastest get-and-go transport by SHA. Apparently, someone thought that, if a fast way to drop someone by is what's needed, they rather not have hose slow "fasten your seatbelts" and just give them something to hang on to while the drone drives around.

The RV-Hitcher proves that "Just hang in there" can be as much as reliable as it is risky. The deployment of the RV-Hitcher did coincidentally happen with the increase in visits to the Kerbal Medical Center, most notably kerbals with reported broken bones and fractured skulls.

IiouuPI.jpg

Click on the image above for download!

Cost : 50, 636

Part Count : 25

Mass : 1.2 tons

Dimensions

H : 1.1m

L : 2.5m

W : 4.2m

Powerplant :

4 PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoeletric Generators

7ufg06A.jpg

SHA's Transport RV-Dropper is a quick solution to quick and easy personnel transport. Having an open seat configuration means that you can basically hitch with the RV-Dropper, and drop yourself anytime. Having a passenger capacity of 12, the RV-Dropper is a staple for point A-to-B rides, mainly used to move around between facilities much faster.

Safety is one thing, SHA recommends Kerbals to stay fit and healthy so as not to rip off the seats when bearing weight, and always fasten their seat belts at all times when hitching a ride.

zskSRP6.jpg

Cost : 55, 512

Part Count : 70

Mass : 3.8 tons

Dimensions

H : 1.7m

L : 2.6m

W : 7.4m

Powerplant :

2 PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoeletric Generators

8 OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels

FRq5pND.jpg

SHA's Transport RV-Rancher is an alternative solution to SHA's RV-Dropper. Much heavier, the RV-Rancher can house up to 24 passengers with its double deck configuration, and features the open-seat configuration for fast and easy deployment of passengers.

A thing is that, unlike the RV-Dropper, the RV-Rancher has a tendency to topple over to its side when turning to fast at some speeds, pick a good driver and you're safe.

SxlIPAy.jpg

Cost : $63, 648

Part Count : 120

Mass : 6.0 tons

Dimensions

H : 2.2m

L : 3.0m

W : 7.5m

Powerplant :

2 PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoeletric Generators

8 OX-STAT Photovoltaic Panels

• 3 months later...

I made this thing a while ago, but never really added on to it or modified it.

Two problems with this are that the trailer it hard to attach after you take it off, and the kerbal doesn't want to get out of the command pod even though lots of room was left.

Edited by NeatCrown

Two problems with this are that the trailer it hard to attach after you take it off, and the kerbal doesn't want to get out of the command pod even though lots of room was left.

If I may be so blazen as to offer a solution to your trailer issues... Don't use docking ports. Use some of the mini structual i-beams 72px-M-Beam_650_I-Beam.png in radial symettry to create a hole. Add a decoupler in the hole, add a nose cone or similar to the trailer. Attach. Launch, decouple. You now have a trailer that freely moves, and you only need to get it good enough to "reattach"

If that doesn't make sense, pm me, and I'll send you a craft file from a WIP truck, but the hitch/bearing works.

This particular one can handle about 18 tons. But I cannot remember if it was the suspension, or the hitch mechanism that caused me issues when loading up a big red tank on the trailer.

jDCdlz9.jpg

PS - nice truck.

Sad to see that this thread never gets the attention it should... I really liked the stuff that sparrowhawk guy posted, one concept I've always had was a science delivery system:

Contraptions: Science holding lab, preferably at KSC. Science transport vehicle. Science service module.

How it would work: Do science all around Kerbin, instead of recovering it, place the results in the science holding lab, then a science transport vehicle comes, loads the science into the transport, which then drives over to a science service module, the STV uses a ladder, which a Kerbal carrying science results from the SHL uses to go up to a command pod on the rocket and load the science in, goes down the ladder and drives off. Science service module launches up to a space station where the science is analyzed before being carried down to Kerbin in another SSM where it is recovered.

Benefits: None, really, science on Kerbin isn't worth much, and analyzing it in a lab in LKO or HKO wouldn't add much more to the gain, but it would be a very interesting thing to try, as it would require good engineering skills seen on this thread for the STV and good ideas for the SSM, it would also be very good to do this on other worlds, for a good benefit, for example, Duna.

Would like to see someone attempt this, one idea I've thought of is using science holding containers from Tarsier or some other mod.

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2015 at 10:38 PM, Spacetraindriver said:

Ketro Bus: hMIpV6U.png

Honda Pilot: ww9oQqc.png

Mega Car: AKA Jeb's Hot rod: S70Twjm.png

E2 Shunter: 2u8pmbY.png

Prices:

Bus: 151,155 Vs

Pilot 94,657 Vs

Hotrod 157,573 Vs

E2 210,766 Vs

an E2 class loco? ITS THOMAS THE KERM ENGINE!

Taking a look here and at KerbalX, I see a lot of good stock trucks. But I didn't easily see anything that could push a 2.5 m package into a Mk3 cargo bay. Is there such a thing that someone's made?

I was going to attempt this, but then read, "from the launchpad. SSTOs are way too common." Still, I spent so long making the aircraft so now it's about bragging rights. Maybe I'll load the plane onto the launchpad and taxi it to the runway out of spite... :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.