What is Minmus made of?

robocop

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

space_bacon.jpg

Q.E.D.

The space bacon part was Scott Manely, I'm pretty sure the astronaut ice cream part was SciShow. Whatever it was, it was definitely a creditable source (learned about it a while ago). Wow. I can remember the exact layout of the toy train track I built at my dad's house 13 years ago, but I can't remember where I learned about astronaut ice cream being a lie

On October 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Hans Dorn said:

MINMUS IS PEOPLE!!11!!!

A bit more seriously, Minmus reminds me of this stuff:

Iron(II)-sulfate-heptahydrate-sample.jpg

Ammonium iron sulfate

Dammit! You beat me to it! :) Can I at least leave the link? It's super cool! 

What is Minmus?

It is either (i) a figment of a game designers imagination(s') with little or no viability as an accurate representation of a realworld celestial object; or it is (ii) a figment of a game designers imagination(s') with some credible viability as a realistic representation of a celestial object.

The only person(s) who might know for certain are the guy(s)/gal(s) who designed it into the game, and if the answer is (i) then they might be understandably reticent. Designers who have come along subsequently might also be reticent for similar reasons, and the owner of the IP would almost never have any great interest in expressing any views on the subject (given they probably don't know the first thing about most of the subjects involved, i.e., cosmology, chemistry, physics, games, gamer culture, or theorycrafting).

Based on some informative posts in this thread by folks with far more knowledge of chemistry and physics than me, I gather that the balance of evidence weighs toward (i) and not (ii).

But ultimately, who cares. It is a fun and humorous element in a fun and humorous game, which otherwise, generally has done a fine job of accurately reflecting naturalistic phenomena . . . well at least enough to get the basic subjects of the game covered (space flight and aeronautics).

Edited by Diche Bach
clarification

Sugar and spice and everything nice ..... no ... wait ... that's what little girls are made of. Never mind.

On 10/16/2016 at 4:29 PM, Hans Dorn said:

MINMUS IS PEOPLE!!11!!!

A bit more seriously, Minmus reminds me of this stuff:

Iron(II)-sulfate-heptahydrate-sample.jpg

Ammonium iron sulfate

That's actually Ferrous sulfate. You need to add Ammonium sulfate to get Ammonium iron sulfate...

S%C3%ADran_%C5%BEeleznato-amonn%C3%BD.JP

...which definitely looks more like Minmus. :wink:

18 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

As its been suggested and explained multiple times in the past 3 pages.... No

If it was frozen water, it would have all sublimated long ago.

Look, it's obviously made of mint ice cream. The reason it hasn't melted is because it's being refrigerated, the hyperdense means for which also account for the out-of-whack gravity.

Q.E.D.

• 1 month later...

Minmus, I'd say the surface is made out of Milky Quartz and the so called "lakes" are Ferrous Sulphite or molten Copper

EDIT: Oh, the cyan-turquoise effect of copper only works if the copper's been in oxygen, unless oxygen is rising from the surface. Which could mean it could blow at any point...

Edited by Evenus

On 6. 4. 2016 at 9:25 PM, r_rolo1 said:

A perfectly circular orbit on a captured comet? Well, if you believe in that, I have a nice Eifell tower in Paris to sell you ... :wink:

Tidal force, secondary effect of gravity causes so called tidal circularization, which is responsible for lowering the orbital eccentricity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.