[0.20.x] Subassembly Manager

TheUndeadFish

Ok am just takin a stab at this but I am assumeing that this was wrighten with windows in mind? I ask becuse i am useing linux and it works the button is in the VAB and the menu opens and I can save an assembly and it makes a file in the correct folder but I cant seem to get it to allow in game access to the assemblies so I ask to see if I should keep trouble shooting or if I should just give up and so the question.

Ok am just takin a stab at this but I am assumeing that this was wrighten with windows in mind? I ask becuse i am useing linux and it works the button is in the VAB and the menu opens and I can save an assembly and it makes a file in the correct folder but I cant seem to get it to allow in game access to the assemblies so I ask to see if I should keep trouble shooting or if I should just give up and so the question.

I only have a Windows computer, so that makes it harder for me to ensure it works on Linux. What exactly is going wrong for you? When you try to load one, does it not even show up in the list or does it not load once you've selected it? Could you try checking either the Alt+F2 debug log or KSP_Data/output_log.txt for errors and let me know what you find?

If I may make a recommendation:

This is more of a long term goal and I know that you have strained yourself in fixing the Subassembly Loader. But I recommend a feature(probably created in the far future) where you can open a Subassembly using the stock editor. This way, you could change the root part, clear up any attachment node problems, and just edit the Subassembly in general. I know that many people have probably suggested this before, but I feel that this suggestion would make a nice discussion.

And, by the way, thank you so much for creating Subassembly Manager.

THank you very much for this :) - downloading immediately...

I do have one small suggestion (as is mentioned above), it is a right royal pain in the butt if you wish to edit some assemblies already made, and then have to re-save them trying to remember the exact name you used for it.. - maybe have it so that if you open a assembly the file-name is remembered so that if you goto save it it inserts the loaded file-name automatically..

I was able to save some components, put them in the directories that fit their categories, but when I try to load them back up, I can't actually get into those categories.

Also, I hate that button placement, it's right on top of the staging list area :)

Note that double clicks don't work properly on linux (this is a unity issue parallel to the mouse wheel problem), so there shouldn't be any critical features that are only accessible via double-click.

Finally a replacement! :D

Having an issue in linux: Saving assemblies works perfectly, it even saves struts/fuel-lines if I save the whole ship like in the original Subassembly Loader - but I cant access the Probes/Lifters/etc folders when I try to load one - the "select" button is greyed out. So I have to copy the saved subassemblies from those folders up one directory for it to show them and be able to load them.

I think a quick and easy way to solve the issue would be to be able to save subassemblies to the base 'subassemblies' directory too, and not be forced to save them to Probes/etc.

Note that double clicks don't work properly on linux (this is a unity issue parallel to the mouse wheel problem), so there shouldn't be any critical features that are only accessible via double-click.

Obviously found my issue. Didn't think about this being a linux problem.

Hmmm, I was unaware of that... Sounds like that's the cause of people's inability to load. I'll get to work on a fix.

In the mean time... is there a list of portability issues and stuff like this somewhere? I would rather not be bumping into it by trial and error.

I was able to save some components, put them in the directories that fit their categories, but when I try to load them back up, I can't actually get into those categories.

Also, I hate that button placement, it's right on top of the staging list area :)

I've just put up version 0.1.2 which should fix both of these issues.

I've just put up version 0.1.2 which should fix both of these issues.

Rock On!

Now...why can't I save one ship with a docking port, and load it to attach to another ship with a docking port? The loaded ship remains 'redded out' and does not show any way to connect.

So I saved a lander with a docking port up top and saved it using this mod. It loads fine when I go to my in construction rocket, but I have no attachment nodes at the top of my lander so I can't attach it to anything. It is always redded out. I tried removing a version of the lander without the port, same problem. The nodes just aren't there. Thoughts?

How did you build the lander? Did you start with a probe core then attach a docking port to it then build the lander under that?

Then when you saved it you grabbed the lander From the docking port down? Or did you save the entire thing with the command pod somewhere in the middle?

Thanks for the mod this saves loads of time. However I have the same problem as the people above me. When i save a lander and try to attach it to somthing else i miss docking nodes. I tried saving it with the command module selected and while holding shift and the most upper part (docking port) to no avail.

If you need any additional information to help troubleshoot and reproduce the problem let me know. Again many thanks for making this mod.

I figured my issue out, luckily my ROOT part was close enough to the top of what I wanted to save and use again, that I was able to remove the docking port from it and THEN save the ship. So that way when I went to re-load it, my ROOT capsule had it's top end unused and it allowed me to connect it to what I wanted.

Sucks it has to be that way. BTW, it still broke some struts, but didn't break my fuel lines :)

How did you build the lander? Did you start with a probe core then attach a docking port to it then build the lander under that?

Then when you saved it you grabbed the lander From the docking port down? Or did you save the entire thing with the command pod somewhere in the middle?

I built it by first starting with the lander command pod. It was the Thor lander pod (from the NovaPunch pack) if that makes a difference. Then I built the lander below it. Above the pod was a single donut fuel tank and a docking port. I saved the lander by dragging it by the command pod to the icon. Saved normally. Loaded normally. But no attachment nodes on the import. Did I do it wrong?

Edited by simmy2109

It's gone because the creator of SAL disappeared completely. Some other people tried to take over his mod and get it back in working order, but Squad shut them down (claiming he had some sort of copywrite ownership over the mod). So the people who wanted to bring that mod back to working order were forced to do it by creating a different mod. Thank you guys! Extremely useful mod

I built it by first starting with the lander command pod. It was the Thor lander pod (from the NovaPunch pack) if that makes a difference. Then I built the lander below it. Above the pod was a single donut fuel tank and a docking port. I saved the lander by dragging it by the command pod to the icon. Saved normally. Loaded normally. But no attachment nodes on the import. Did I do it wrong?

A little. Simply delete everything Above the command pod then you can save it from the command pod. Now when you want to add this lander to something else you just pace to load it in and connect it first, then add in the docking port and whatever else you had to take off.

You can't save assemblies with parts both above and below the part you drag, it needs to have one of those nodes free.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.