[0.20.x] Subassembly Manager

TheUndeadFish

Hey everyone,

Sorry about disappearing for a while. I hit a lack of interest in KSP combined with some other distractions.

Coming back, I see that .22 will have a SubAssembly Loader equivalent built in. So I expect this mod to become completely obsolete. In that case, I don't plan to do any further updates to it. (Although I will at least write up some instructions on how to migrate subassembly files to wherever they need to end up in .22)

However, if the official .22 subassembly feature ends up being lacking in some important or useful aspects, then I might look into revising this mod into some kind of extension of the built in functionality (if possible).

So at this point I'm in "wait and see" mode until .22 comes out.

Hey everyone,

Sorry about disappearing for a while. I hit a lack of interest in KSP combined with some other distractions.

Understandable, we all need a break and real life happens :)

Coming back, I see that .22 will have a SubAssembly Loader equivalent built in. So I expect this mod to become completely obsolete. In that case, I don't plan to do any further updates to it. (Although I will at least write up some instructions on how to migrate subassembly files to wherever they need to end up in .22)

I assume you are extremely proud that what you have done has been incorporated into the game. I for one can't play .21 without your mod. I don't prefer it. I NEED it for anything with more than about 50 parts :) I recently made a list of my top 5 favorite KSP mods for a podcast, and yours was #1, right on top.

However, if the official .22 subassembly feature ends up being lacking in some important or useful aspects, then I might look into revising this mod into some kind of extension of the built in functionality (if possible).

And I'll be among the first to try it out if you do, unless real life and game breaks have taken me away.

Again I can't stress how much your mod has helped me organize and modularize my space program, and while I'm happy that the functionality is now in the game I still appreciate all your mod has done in the meantime.

Thank you!

Protip: add lots of empty stages above your subassembly lifter before you save it. Then when you load it, and attach to a payload, all lifter stages will be below all your existing stages!

OH lulz, very reasonble way to dodge that :D THx for the tip.

So at this point I'm in "wait and see" mode until .22 comes out.

I loaded up KSP with all my 0.21 mods installed including Subassembaly Manager and i found that everything still works as it did in 0.21.

Although i did find one exploit which is that any subassemblies that are saved though the manager (the mod not the KSP version), they carry over between sandbox and career. This means on day 1 of career you can make a rocket in sandbox and load it in career, even if the parts are not yet 'unlocked' in the R&D labs yet.

I just thought i'd let everyone know and try to be helpful.:)

Haybale100

I loaded up KSP with all my 0.21 mods installed including Subassembaly Manager and i found that everything still works as it did in 0.21.

Although i did find one exploit which is that any subassemblies that are saved though the manager (the mod not the KSP version), they carry over between sandbox and career. This means on day 1 of career you can make a rocket in sandbox and load it in career, even if the parts are not yet 'unlocked' in the R&D labs yet.

I just thought i'd let everyone know and try to be helpful.:)

Haybale100

Why are you using this in .22? load your assemblys and save them and get rid of it because the basegame one is better in the fact that you cannot cheat.

I prefer the one implemented in the game.

1. It is IMPLEMENTED.

2. It is a little more UF.

3. It has the option to add a description.

4. Fuel lines/struts stay in place.

Anyway only thanks to the community did this thing get realised, proud of ya son.

There's one thing that this mod has over the stock implementation, which, in some circumstances, can be vitally important:

You can grab the root part to be the subassembly root. With stock implementation, you can't.

There's one thing that this mod has over the stock implementation, which, in some circumstances, can be vitally important:

You can grab the root part to be the subassembly root. With stock implementation, you can't.

But with the ability to change out the root part, this is moot. You could always double-stack your "root" part, like a command pod or probe part, and then select the second part for subassembly to work around it.

You could reassign the root part with this mod? I was using Root Selector mod in conjunction with this one. I thought both this mod and the stock assembly had the same limitation that you couldn't make a sub assembly without the root part having at least 1 connection left. (Which in my case never happens)

I seriously have zero idea what you people are smoking.

screenshot406.png

(I mean it, I'd have to have surveillance over there or something. :P You probably aren't smoking anything even, but I seriously dislike to have to question peoples' regular cognitive abilities.)

You can grab anything and make it a subassembly. It follows the same basic rules, it just has to be attachable to something. That means having a free attachment node, or an available attachment surface.

You can grab anything and make it a subassembly. It follows the same basic rules, it just has to be attachable to something. That means having a free attachment node, or an available attachment surface.

Nope.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqdclhux59xlwj5/Free_Nodes_But_Can_Be_Subassembly.bmp

This has free connection node top & bottom, except the root part. Can't be a sub assembly.

You have to have at least 1 connection node free on your root part. Silly goose.

Same craft but without the docking port on the root part (thus having 1 free connection node on the root part) and it can be a sub assembly. You can see if the craft can be a sub assembly by Shift clicking to move the whole thing. If you don't see any connection nodes you won't be able to make a sub assembly with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ja286zddfzqgdzq/Without_Docking_Port.bmp

Using the root part selection mod though, you can have any design as a subassembly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mras8c25g1lg7ow/Root_Part_Moved.bmp

Well, your example is not valid because the pod is not surface-attachable, but I tested it with a long tank right now, and that does seem to be the case.

In which case - bug report, anyone? That's not supposed to work like that. It works perfectly with regular subassemblies, if the assembly root part is surface-attachable it allows saving just fine. The craft root part just doesn't seem to register its surface attach node, perhaps because it can't actually be attached to something normally.

Well, your example is not valid because the pod is not surface-attachable, but I tested it with a long tank right now, and that does seem to be the case.

In which case - bug report, anyone? That's not supposed to work like that. It works perfectly with regular subassemblies, if the assembly root part is surface-attachable it allows saving just fine. The craft root part just doesn't seem to register its surface attach node, perhaps because it can't actually be attached to something normally.

As I said before it has to do with the root part. If the root part has all of it's attachment nodes filled, it won't accept to be saved as a sub assembly.

This mod solves all those issues:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43208-0-21-1-Aug12-SelectRoot-Let-another-part-be-root-now-with-less-restrictions

Edited by MedievalNerd

No, it has to do with the fact that the root part does not recognize its surfAttach node as such, and will show as "can't be attached" even though it technically can.

Wouldn't that mean that you would have to attach your subassembly using the side surfaces of the pod? It does not recognize the other attachment nodes. Like the top of the docking port or the bottom of the engine. I would assume that once you try to save an assembly, it checks the extremities of the craft as a whole and not just the root part. But it appears to be working as such for now.

No, it always checks just the root part.

As I've said numerous times, subassemblies are the same thing as when you detach a part of your craft and leave it hanging as a ghost. No matter the configuration of the ghost, you will only ever be able to attach it back with the part you detached it with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.