[0.21.x] Graphotron 2000

olex

New thread about graphotron can be found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119337

The Graphotron 2000 is a part and a plugin used to plot sensor output and flight information.

ifkdq6J.jpg

Requires KSP 0.20.x. Works with 0.21.x.

Seeing all those sensors in KSP, but not knowing what to do with them? Now, you can use them to do SCIENCE! Use the Graphotron 2000 to plot sensor output and flight data against time and get insight into the performance of your space rocket, the usefulness of Duna atmosphere for aerobraking at differentt altitudes, and whatever else you can come up with.

Thanks to DYJ for providing the awesome part model, and to khyperia for the great pixel font.

Changelog

v0.2.1: Repacked for KSP v0.20.x compatibility

v0.2: Long-awaited update:
- Resizeable graph area
- Optional larger label font
- Optional graph legend
- CSV raw data export
- Option to reset the plot
- New data sources, including any resources
- Toggle UI and plotting using action groups
- Optional actiovation on staging

v0.1.2: Added dynamic pressure graph

v0.1.1: Initial working release

v0.1: Initial release

Download on SpacePort: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/graphotron-2000/

Source available on GitHub.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by diomedea
added link to new thread

Science! Now with Graphs!

This is a nice add-on, although it took me a minute to figure out the plot lines are individually scaled (not that I can imagine a meaningful way to do it differently). How hard would it be to add Isp (as in, currently-active engines mean instantaneous Isp - like you can view with Kerbal Engineer)?

A better graphotron! Awesome. I still strap them to all my probes.

This will replace the existing part?

The existing part wasn't compatible to 0.20.x, unless you manually changed the .cfg. However, if you have a save where the part is on some ship already, yes, it should work.

Yet another idea ... When the legend is visible, could the current numeric value be displayed next to the legend text?

Good idea, I'll add an option for that.

This has been fantastic. I've started using this in conjunction with MechJeb to begin plotting and analyzing fuel consumption as a function of roll angles for achieving orbit, accounting for various vessel mass. Pretty much, this is exactly what I needed. I'm sure there's some equation (or series of equations) for this which is well known in engineering, but for now, figuring it out myself and deriving relationships is enjoyable. (As an presently unemployed analytical chemist, I'm thoroughly geeking out over this. Ah... Data.)

One big question: Is the y-axis on the display simply for in-game aesthetics, or does it have an impact the output data in the .CSV file? I haven't tinkered with it yet as I'm trying to keep what I currently have consistent. (400 x 400 @ 1s intervals per datum.) It can take up a bit of the screen for larger graphs.Also, as an idea (request), would it be possible to allow for size of the in-game graph to be independent of the x and y limits set for data recording? A 600 point x and y axis is rather large on the GUI. All I'm really interested in is collecting the CSV data for excel. Perhaps there's a hotkey for the output that I overlooked, as I know you can set start and stop in the VAB.

This is the kind of mod I've wanted for the scientific instruments that come with KSP. One piece that is kind of annoying though is that the CSV files only save in one column, making it really hard to separate and graph multiple data sources separately.

EDIT: I found a way to make it work. It's tab-delimited data, but there's a way in Excel to import it into the proper columns. I did notice that it only saves as far back as the graph shows, so I'll have to hit the save CSV button a few times to capture and patch all the data together. Outstanding mod, though. Something like this should be in the stock game.

Edited by Cashen

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i am in need of some help here i have had this plugin for ages but have no idea how to get the data it provides in a useable format

all i get is a picture and i cant really tell with any precision that at x meters the temp was x

can anyone help me as maybe i am just being dumb :)

hi all

i am in need of some help here i have had this plugin for ages but have no idea how to get the data it provides in a useable format

all i get is a picture and i cant really tell with any precision that at x meters the temp was x

can anyone help me as maybe i am just being dumb :)

Export to CSV perhaps? Telemachus mod also provides similar information with more elaborate graphs, but requires to run in a separate browser.

okay hi all after messing with word and excel iv managed to figure a few things out but is there any way to stop the mass data dump all into one column or is there a way to import the data into excel so it puts things into its own columns it one column for data points and one for temp

any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated

okay awesome i have just had a geekasom thanks for all the help guys re read the previous posts and did a bit of google work now can excel things man im really loving this game .....and its community

okay awesome i have just had a geekasom thanks for all the help guys re read the previous posts and did a bit of google work now can excel things man im really loving this game .....and its community

cheers! I also like a good graph so if you've made an excel template that'd be awesome to share.

please ignore this post as it contained incorrect info and ad wear filled links but i cant figure out how to delete it

Edited by hawk_za
incorrect info

hi there we i don't know about a template but i will upload the excel file that i used to make my graphs it only has 3 columns 1 for height 1 for pressure and 1 for temp it was a quick trip i did with the rocket ...I'm still not sure why the temperature fluctuated the way it did :confused:

okay here is the link add-wear free

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=02950597702498982540

Edited by hawk_za

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love a "record until" option. "record until landed", "record until crashed". I just lost a lot of nice data that Graphotron had recorded, because I smashed into the planet slightly too hard. Slightly... but that data should already have been 'transmitted' and I'm sad to have lost it.

I'd also like to record with the GUI not visible, although this might be possible already, perhaps I just missed what was going on, but I'm not likely to be able to quickly switch on the GUI and click "save to csv" just as I'm about to crash/"scientifically impact"

Noted, this is a good idea. I'll add an option to trigger saving data on part destruction or unload.

As for recording without the UI being visible, that's always been possible. CSV export saves only what's on screen, although again, I can add an option to save everything, since all available data is recorded anyway, whether the sensors are active or not.