How to land Large tall objects in low gravity

Good news gentlemen! I manged to dock the blasted devil, it just.....Its a pain. I want something that's easy to dock, can hold a large amount of kethane, and most importantly, able to make it to the Mun, to Leo, and back, refueling only when docked to my LEO space station.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/882986798678474577/79D114C8F9A4091094B1EA42560B953461E66418/

Jeb, on Cadia 2

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/882986798678462794/2187040225AF0916DFF4818DF5C682D197C50210/

The Transport docked with Cadia 2

One idea I did have that worked out was to actually get the bottom of the NV engines at the same level as the docking port, then put the landing legs on the outside of the engine booms so you don't need the lower struts and your landing stance is even wider (plus you don't need to worry about the drills on the bottom clashing with the structure for the landing gear). I'll put up a picture when I get home.

Edit; Picture

A2fGfKH.jpg

This one overheated the engines really badly though because of those really long AIES tanks and the way heat works (and the full load of Kethane dropped the dV to ~3200 with Münar TWR of only ~1.3, that was a problem)

Edited by NoMrBond

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.