Help designing my space station.

mrnicholas

This is what my space station look like atm:

q9GQHQt.png

The problem is I don't know what to do the the far end of the station. Does anyone have any good ideas?

I'd like for it to at least my thematically useful, however I don't want to hold crew as there is no passage though the station from the to get to it.

I dont like over using mods, but i don't mind installing them if there gonna be useful and and in-keeping with the stock theme. I already use mods like mechjeb and deadly re-entry ect.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Nick

Could think of a section for docking craft .... I would think of adding a section of structural fuselage with in line clamp-o-trons spaced apart and facing in alternating directions ... unfortunately it would of been better to use a Snr. docking port to connect the docking 'array' as it will take some stress as ships dock to it.

None the less, a docking 'array' away from your solar panels and if possible in such a manner the ports dont turn as the station orbits, is a logical step.

Could also add a small dedicated craft for getting to the planet, and then a craft for doing tugboat work (taking payloads off lifters and then docking them to the station).

A Communications array would also be a natural addition (not that the game needs it to work, just a role playing consideration).

EDIT: Oh yeah, how is that thing lit ? Can you dock with it in the dark side ? Some lights may be useful on the docking array.

Make a big circle out of girders, then put docking ports all the way around it, along the lines of this:

No practical purpose, but it does look rather cool.

Hawt. I'm going to have to build one of those, my stations end up being unimaginative sausages.

Unless I am mistaken, those are the medium size girders that he puts on one end and holds shift to bend it a fixed amount...then puts another at the end of that one and bends that one point repeat till you have a circle.

Here's mine. There's a big ol' orange fuel tank where the senior docking port is, and the ship that's in the dock is orbiting Dres right now. Otherwise it's the same. The solar panel end is made so that I can continue adding power modules to the end. The center hub has two more docking ports besides the senior. The arms on the dock end have lights. It pretty much floods whatever is in the bay. I was going to try to make long arms that extend length-wise along whatever is in the bay, but they proved impossible to dock, so I opted for this. I may revisit it by making the hub have junior ports on the ends of them, so I can plug arms into them. I dunno if it's worth the effort, though.

I've redesigned this thing four times now.

K7RjeM7.jpg

Edited by DChurchill

Here's mine from afar: http://i.imgur.com/FSuzVDE.jpg

Top section: Living quarters (Hitchhiker can), and a spot to dock a few of my controller probes. Basically, small fuel tank, RCS points, solar panels, and a remote probe core. Used for controlling other "headless" vehicles! http://i.imgur.com/OWkcYUGh.jpg

Middle: The tank for refilling my interplanetary landers. Nothin' fancy: http://i.imgur.com/Swu7sDvh.jpg

Bottom: The "docking" section, with no vessels attached at the moment... Has 1 jumbo dock clamp for big ships, 2 regular size clamps for either single clamp small/midsize vessels with the dual clamp setup: http://i.imgur.com/EnM0d11h.jpg

Edited by troyn123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.