[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Welding doesn't touch the persistant file, that can't be it.

it might be possible that the game saves the craft itself in a strange way.

Database reload can cause a lot of problems depending on the mods.

Station science parts, hmm never handled these, would have to look into them, but currently I'm still working on part of the GUI.

Welding doesn't touch the persistant file, that can't be it.

it might be possible that the game saves the craft itself in a strange way.

With PartCatalog installed I had a bug once. After database reloading all parts disappeared from game (until KSP restart of course) and I was given a message about all the ships that they can't be loaded.

It seems to me that the backup is obviously not hurt in situation like this.

With PartCatalog installed I had a bug once. After database reloading all parts disappeared from game (until KSP restart of course) and I was given a message about all the ships that they can't be loaded.

It seems to me that the backup is obviously not hurt in situation like this.

ouch that sounds quite serious.

I'm not a fan of the database reload and have it by default disabled, so this never happened to me, but yeah that would I think require a push to reload the parts for part catalog.

But yeah totally right having a back up for such situation is really the best way.

My sister has brought her new boyfriend home, so this weekend is pretty endless for me, I will get a lot done :D

I have a few questions about this mod:

I am building space station sections in the VAB. I understand it's not a good idea to weld part together that have interiors, so np on that count. but there is much externally that could be welded together to reduce part count.

1. I have these long girder sections that serve as arms to hold solar panels away from the main station body. Can I weld both the girder parts and the solar panels together, and still retain the functionality of the panels? (i.e. the unfold animation and the electrical charge gathering capability) There are also batteries on this assembly. Will they retain their charge?

2. I have stacks of the large 2.5m batteries in the station body. If I weld these stacks together, will they retain their total charge capability?

3. I have docking ports with the regular 1.25 docking port on one end and the larger 2.5's on the other. I understand the welding mod cannot handle more than one docking port on a welded part, yes? This is a vertical stack, so if I just weld the body of this assembly together, they should retain the stacking nodes on both the top and bottom, and I can add the docking ports after the weld (and reload, etc.). Am I correct on this?

4. Can I weld together stacks of modules from TAC Life Support: 1 water, 1 food, 1 oxygen in a vertical stack, and have them retain their life support capability?

5. Will the stock six-port hubs retain all their unused stacking nodes if used in a welded part?

6. Does welding interrupt fuel cross-feed?

I have looked through this thread and seen several youtube videos on the mod, but can't find definitive answers to these questions. The station is built, and now I want to reduce part count where I can, so these questions have come up as a result.

Thank s in advance!

1. as far as I know, things with animations (like solar panels) don't like being welded.

2. yes, you can weld them together. I often welded batteries, life-support containers, a 2,5m probe core and RCS-tanks together, worked just fine.

3. as far as I know, you can weld a lot of different things together, as long as you have just one dockingport in that thing. a second one will lose its docking ability.

4. yes

5. as far as I know, welding should not do anything with the nodes, they will stay.

6. no, it will even improve fuel crossfeed.

and regarding the techtree-corruption, I usually used a second copy of the save to do the welds. they are present in all savegames simultanously.

oh, and partcount-wise: the rcs-ports don't like being welded. if you want rcs-capabiliy at docking but then reduce the partcound, you could use kas. just eva a kerbal to the RCS ports and grab them (and throw them away or store them in containers).

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

Heya

@Girka2k: I'm still struggling with the new dropdowns, but making slow progress, but it is really a pain.

Worked through the whole GUI system during the weekend, and now spend every evening on this stuff.

my last real problem is to switch the click behavior into our own implementation.

. . . all the answers . . .

Thank you!

When welding TAC LS parts (i.e. containers) the models seems to resize larger than the original (not tweakscaled) on the welded part but still shows the correct resource amounts.

FYI - I am also seeing this issue. In addition, the TAC-LS parts appear as though there is more than one copy in the partspace.

Edited by Meta Jonez

I've tried to weld 3 girders together and saved it under the Structural tag. After reloading the database, and a restart, my new part is not visible in the VAB. Though I can see that it was saved in the GameData parts folder and the debug toolbar shows that the part was loaded successfully.

Is there a wiki or anything for best practices?

I've tried to weld 3 girders together and saved it under the Structural tag. After reloading the database, and a restart, my new part is not visible in the VAB. Though I can see that it was saved in the GameData parts folder and the debug toolbar shows that the part was loaded successfully.

Are you playing in the career mode? If so, do you already open technology, which you selected for the welded part? Is welded part visible in the sandbox mode?

Is there a wiki or anything for best practices?

It will be done in the near future. I hope...

At the moment some useful information can be found on the OP.

Because UbioZur has kindly allowed to update his work, Alewx and I have released the next update for this great mod.

Download update ver.05

Latest changes:

• Fixed wrong rescaling of some models in KSP 0.25
  • Improved database reloading with ModuleManager installed (still incompatible with LOT of other mods)
  • Updated <ModulesToIgnore> list
  • Dropped compatibility with KSP 0.24.2

2014-12-03 (ver.05)

• Fixed wrong rescaling of some models in KSP 0.25
  • Improved database reloading with ModuleManager installed
  • Updated <ModulesToIgnore> list
  • Dropped compatibility with KSP 0.24.

2014-11-01 (ver.04)

• Fixed wrong rotation of models in some cases (especially in SHP)
  • Now topmost and lowest nodes are placed to the end of list for fix impossibility to attach welded part to other in VAB/SHP. (It is assumed that the topmost and lowest nodes, most likely, are stack nodes)
  • Most floating-point values (excluding amount of resources) of welded part are rounded to 5 fractional digits
  • Some other minor fixes

2014-10-21

• KSP 0.25 compatibility
  • Stock Toolbar integration.
  • Added the GUI to change most settings.
  • Added ability for change requiredTech from GUI.
  • Improved naming of the partfiles - now welded part can be saved in file named like folder (for example "WeldedPod.cfg", not "part.cfg").
  • Tweakscale integration. Now it reads scale from scene part to include tweakscale.
  • Added the correct addition of entryCosts.
  • The ModuleAttributeList.xml gives you the ability to edit how the tool will process the merging of certain modules and their attributes. For details, see comments in the ModuleAttributeLists.xml file.

• <Vector2CurveModules> section is the list of modules that have to be read as vector2 curves, as an example the ISP of an RCS thruster.
    • In <Vector4CurveModules> list are modules that will be read as vector4Curves that means they will create curves from floatpoints and tangents. There is a thread in the forum just about the magic of floatpoint tangents.
    • <SubModules> list contains the Submodules that otherwise would be ignored and not merged, Adding an entry here will give the tool the ability to merge the attributes in it.
    • Modules in <ModulesToIgnore> list will be completly ignored from the tool and not get added to the new part.
    • Entries in <AveragedModuleAttributes> will make sure that the tool will not simply add the values of this attribute from the different parts and modules up, but will calculate it as aritmetric mean (average).
    • Entries in <UnchangedModuleAttributes> list will give the tool the order to not merge the values for this attribute.
    • <BreakingModuleAttributes> might be the most important list of Attributes, the entries here will give the tool the order to check if the values of these attributes are equal, and only allow then the merging or the module, otherwise a new module would be added.

[*] Fixed crashTolerance, breakingForce and breakingTorque calculation. Improved MaxTemp calculation.

• Now there is three methods of calculation crashTolerance, breakingForce and breakingTorque values:
      • legacy (UbioZur variant)
      • arithmetic mean value of the values of parts
      • weighted average by mass (now it's default)

[*] Also it presents new ways of calculation of MaxTemp:

• arithmetic mean value of the values of parts (UbioZur variant)
      • weighted average by mass
      • lowest between values of parts (now it's default)

[*] Changed config file format (and name).

[*] Fixed miscalculation in case of resources which have not equal amount and maxAmount values.

2014-09-02

• Fixes incorrect rescaling of parts, containing "scale" in MODEL description.

2014-09-01

• Fixed incorrect calculation of COM offset.

2014-08-12

• KSP 0.24 compatibility.
  • Changed massless parts processing behavior.

Sources

Please note that this version is incompatible with KSP 0.24.2!

The latest version for 0.24.2

Legal stuff:

This work based on Malkuth's update for UbioZur's original code.

All rights to original source code belong to UbioZur, the rights to subsequent code changes belong to their authors.

Please note this is not an official release from UbioZur!!!

Thank you UbioZur for kind permission to continue your work!

After update to v.05:

Minor issue: MK1 structural part resizing by a little over 1/2, top node disappearing from this part.

Part in question highlighted in red below:

PART
{
name = Station-Tank
module = Part
author = UbioZurWeldingLtd
rescaleFactor = 1
PhysicsSignificance = -1
node_stack_topfuelTank3-20 = 0,3.72045,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_toplargeAdapter1 = 0,5.22545,0,0,1,0,1
node_stack_bottomlargeAdapter1 = 0,3.72045,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_bottomMk1FuselageStructural2 = 0,5.22545,0,0,1,0,1
node_stack_topMk1FuselageStructural2 = 0,7.10045,0,0,1,0,1
node_stack_bottomfuelTank3-20 = 0,-3.77955,0,0,1,0,2
node_attach = 1.25,0,0,1,0,0,1
CrewCapacity = 0
TechRequired = heavierRocketry
entryCost = 30000
cost = 13680
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = Station Tank
manufacturer = UbioZur Welding Ltd
description = Warranty void during re-entry.
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0,0,0
mass = 4.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.175
minimum_drag = 0.2625
angularDrag = 1.75
crashTolerance = 7.52381
breakingForce = 196.4286
breakingTorque = 196.4286
maxTemp = 1450
fuelCrossFeed = True
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankJumbo-64/model
position = 0,-0.02955,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/largeAdapter/model
position = 0,4.47545,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
[COLOR="#B22222"][B]MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Mk1/mk1structural
position = 0,6.16295,0
scale = 1.5625,1.5625,1.5625
rotation = 0,0,0[/B][/COLOR]
}
RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 2880
maxAmount = 2880
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 3520
maxAmount = 3520
}
}

Changing the size in the CFG file to 1,1,1 left them seemingly too small, with the nodes on each size sticking out further than 1/2 the node-ball as with a normal node, and gaps between this and parts attached to it prior to the weld. Changing again to 1.25 for each axis seemed to be perfect.

2nd issue: Near Future Large 8-sided adapter not showing up in welds. (incidentally, you can see the oversized MK1 structural part above each orange tank in this picture as well.)

bhFnyYB.jpg

I placed the part not showing up above the welded part as example. I had a stack of two right below the stack of batteries at the top, which, as you can see, did not appear in the final weld. After seeing this, I created another part with two of these parts welded together:

PART
{
name = 2xOctogrid
module = Part
rescaleFactor = 1
PhysicsSignificance = -1
node_stack_toptrusslrg-adapter0 = 0,-0.02293,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_bottomtrusslrg-adapter1 = 0,-0.02293,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_toptrusslrg-adapter1 = 0,0.6517,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_bottomtrusslrg-adapter0 = 0,-0.69756,0,0,1,0,2
node_attach = 0,0,0,0,0,0,0
CrewCapacity = 0
TechRequired = metaMaterials
entryCost = 900
cost = 200
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = Dual Octogrid
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0,0,0
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.15
minimum_drag = 0.225
angularDrag = 1.5
crashTolerance = 80
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 1450
fuelCrossFeed = True
MODEL
{
model = NearFuture/Parts/LargeTruss/trusslrg-adapter-25-25/trusslrg-adapter-25
position = 0,-0.33731,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,0.33731,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
}

After reload of game, this part did not show up in the parts in VAB at all.

Aside from these minor issues, . . . this mod is a gamesaver for me. Thank you, girka2K for continuing the work on it.

Edited by Meta Jonez
additional info

After update to v.05:

Minor issue: MK1 structural part resizing by a little over 1/2, top node disappearing from this part.

Changing the size in the CFG file to 1,1,1 left them seemingly too small, with the nodes on each size sticking out further than 1/2 the node-ball as with a normal node, and gaps between this and parts attached to it prior to the weld.

2nd issue: Near Future Large 8-sided adapter not showing up in welds.

I placed the part not showing up above the welded part as example. I had a stack of two right below the stack of batteries at the top, which, as you can see, did not appear in the final weld.

Thank you for the bug report! Apparently, I missed something... will look a little later.

After seeing this, I created another part with two of these parts welded together:

PART
{
name = [COLOR="#FF0000"]2xOctogrid[/COLOR]
}

After reload of game, this part did not show up in the parts in VAB at all.

I'm not sure but it's seems for me that (probably) name must not begin from digit. Can you try to rename it and check again in game?

If the part will not appear again, can you upload KSP.log please?

Aside from these minor issues, . . . this mod is a gamesaver for me. Thank you, girka2K for continuing the work on it.

Please don't forget about esteemed Alewx. This is a joint work. :blush:

I made the same part and renamed it:

PART
{
name = DualOcto
module = Part
rescaleFactor = 1
PhysicsSignificance = -1
node_stack_toptrusslrg-adapter0 = 0,-0.02293,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_bottomtrusslrg-adapter1 = 0,-0.02293,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_toptrusslrg-adapter1 = 0,0.6517,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_bottomtrusslrg-adapter0 = 0,-0.69756,0,0,1,0,2
CrewCapacity = 0
entryCost = 900
cost = 200
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = DualOcto
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0,0,0
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.15
minimum_drag = 0.225
angularDrag = 1.5
crashTolerance = 80
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 1450
fuelCrossFeed = True
MODEL
{
position = 0,-0.33731,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,0.33731,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
}

Upon restart of KSP, part did not appear in VAB parts table.

I also made this:

PART
{
name = TestPart
module = Part
rescaleFactor = 1
PhysicsSignificance = -1
node_stack_bottomtrussPiece3x1 = -0.85378,0.0002,-0.84298,-0.70838,0,-0.70583,1
node_stack_toptrussPiece3x1 = -2.94384,0.0002,-2.92552,-0.70838,0,-0.70583,1
node_stack_bottomtrussPiece3x2 = -0.84298,0.0002,0.85378,-0.70583,0,0.70838,1
node_stack_toptrussPiece3x2 = -2.92552,0.0002,2.94384,-0.70583,0,0.70838,1
node_stack_bottomtrussPiece3x3 = 0.85378,0.0002,0.84298,0.70838,0,0.70583,1
node_stack_toptrussPiece3x3 = 2.94384,0.0002,2.92552,0.70838,0,0.70583,1
node_stack_bottomtrussPiece3x4 = 0.84298,0.0002,-0.85378,0.70583,0,-0.70838,1
node_stack_toptrussPiece3x4 = 2.92552,0.0002,-2.94384,0.70583,0,-0.70838,1
node_stack_toptrusslrg-adapter0 = 0,0.30834,0,0,1,0,2
node_stack_bottomtrusslrg-adapter0 = 0,-0.36629,0,0,1,0,2
CrewCapacity = 0
entryCost = 31650
cost = 400
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = TestPart
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0,0,0
mass = 1.55
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.19375
minimum_drag = 0.19688
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 80
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 1450
fuelCrossFeed = True
MODEL
{
position = 0,-0.00605,0
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,1,0
}
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Structural/trussGirderXL/model
position = -1.89881,0.0002,-1.88425
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 90,225.1034,0
}
MODEL
{
position = -1.88425,0.0002,1.89881
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 90,315.1034,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 1.89881,0.0002,1.88425
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 90,45.10341,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 1.88425,0.0002,-1.89881
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 90,135.1034,0
}
}

This part did show up, but again, without the NearFuture part saved with it. Interestingly, the nodes for that part were part of the completed weld.

KSP.log:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByllhQuCvO6nSTMwdGplSUpqWTg/edit

. . . and, yes, Thank you, too, Alewx, for your work on this mod. It wasn't my intention to omit you! :blush:

I made the same part and renamed it:

Upon restart of KSP, part did not appear in VAB parts table.

I also made this:

This part did show up, but again, without the NearFuture part saved with it. Interestingly, the nodes for that part were part of the completed weld.

I also try rename part. Indeed, the digit at the beginning of the name is not the cause.

Let me ask which version of Near Future Construction you are using? Latest versions (3.0 and 3.1) have structure of folders different from yours!

Good! But please give me permissions to file :) I send you request on GoogleDrive.

About MK1 Structural Fuselage - I can completely reproduce bug.

Actually model should have scale = 1.25,1.25,1.25. Something went wrong. I will try to quickly deal with this.

My bad . . . permission granted.

As for NearFuture, i am running v 3.0, and I combined all near future mods under one folder, named NearFuture, so they would populate under one tab in PartCatalog (i.e. Gamedata/NearFuture/FX, /Parts, /Patches, . . . etc) . This has not caused me any problems using the parts before, and in fact, other NearFuture parts (such as the adapter at the top of the MonoFuel stack) weld without issue.

Edited by Meta Jonez

@Girka2K and @Alewx

Is there a way to ask the moderator of the Forum to get you the control of the first post and title of this Thread?

Since Ubiozur has left the development of this marvelous MOD, and left the licence open to you guys,

it seems to me usefull for all other users, that the latest version is edited in the first post.

Thanks @Ubiozur for the MOD, and you guys for continuing it

My bad . . . permission granted.

As for NearFuture, i combined all near future mods under one folder, named NearFuture, so they would populate under one tab in PartCatalog (i.e. Gamedata/NearFuture/FX, /Parts, /Patches, . . . etc) . This has not caused me any problems using the parts before, and in fact, other NearFuture parts (such as the adapter at the top of the MonoFuel stack) weld without issue.

OG 22:36:06.493] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UbioWeldingLtd/Parts/Structural/DualOcto/DualOcto/DualOcto'
[ERR 22:36:06.495] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'NearFuture/Parts/LargeTruss/trusslrg-adapter-25-25/trusslrg-adapter-25' [COLOR="#B22222"]as model does not exist[/COLOR]

[ERR 22:36:06.496] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'NearFuture/Parts/LargeTruss/trusslrg-adapter-25-25/trusslrg-adapter-25' [COLOR="#B22222"]as model does not exist[/COLOR]

[ERR 22:36:06.497] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 22:36:06.498] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 22:36:06.498] PartCompiler: [COLOR="#B22222"]Cannot compile part[/COLOR]

KSP is trying to find files that aren't there (please scroll code to the right).

Welder takes information about models files exclusively from parts to weld, so please look into config file of original part. What is the path to the model's file is specified there? Is really there exists specified file?

If one of models of part was not found - we will see that part with empty space instead this model. If all models were not found (as in case of DualOcto aka 2xOctogrid part) - part don't show itself in VAB/SHP completely.

In addition NearFuture mod author, Nertea, in his threads has repeatedly warned against renaming folder with his mods and moving files. I recommend to follow his advice...

Edited by girka2k

Is there a way to ask the moderator of the Forum to get you the control of the first post and title of this Thread?

Since Ubiozur has left the development of this marvelous MOD, and left the licence open to you guys,

it seems to me usefull for all other users, that the latest version is edited in the first post.

It seems more reasonable to create a new thread, as it has already been advised here.

It's a matter of time and our laziness...

@Girka2K and @Alewx

Thanks @Ubiozur for the MOD, and you guys for continuing it

We will start a new threat as soon as a new version will be ready for release.

About the broken NearFuture Adapter the problem is somehow in the name of the folder "trusslrg-adapter-25-25", I ran into the same problem, and will look to find a fix for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.