[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

I must be doing something wrong. I am using this mod for the first time. Read about what part don't like to be welded and spent a few hours rebuilding some of my craft welding parts that should not be a problem to weld. With the default settings my craft just break apart. I assume I'm doing something wrong.

It is possible that something went wrong, or you done something wrong or anything else is wrong. Please describe a little more about your problem; provide us some screenshots or may be ksp.log and .craft file, then we can try to help you.

It is possible that something went wrong, or you done something wrong or anything else is wrong. Please describe a little more about your problem; provide us some screenshots or may be ksp.log and .craft file, then we can try to help you.

I'm testing some other functions. I'll make a more detailed report of my issue if I can't get it working.

I don't use tweakscale and to me that build work really fine, some problem when i have try to merge over 220 parts in one, crews hatch, fuel tanks, science labs, lights and the result part have bugged the rightclick, other problem with usi_converter modules from Karbonite becouse the welded object import only the first module but is enought simple to fix by test-editing the result .cfg. Now i want try with spaceplanes for see how it work with wings.

Yes, welding together a large number of "active" components generates a HUGE non-usable right-click menu. You still can use Action Groups of course.

Please mention note on OP - crew hatch must be near of COM or it will not work!

Don't weld together two or more lights - only one will be working.

I decided to publish images of several of my crafts, in which I used welding.

Leaving aside the general design of these devices, they still can serve as an example how you can reduce the number of parts without violating the constraint on the welding multiple identical "active" parts together.

All images were made with great Kronal Vessel Viewer mod.

Reusable Mun heavy lander

Javascript is disabled. View full album

SS Tug

Moho SCAN probe

Moho COMM Relay satellite

SS Docking cross

Edited by girka2k
It's seems "imgur" fails under spoiler tags

I downloaded it, and tried running for the first time. As usual it didn't work ;.; the welding icon wouldn't show up.

I was also trying to make my kerbals fly faster without having their kerbol system crashing back to windows, so I was messing a round with different mod and trying to remove mods that I don't use/need.

What I discovered is that this mod seems to be incompatible with modulemanager2.5.1, I've removed it and I'm now using modulemanager2.5.0 (from interstellar).

I'm testing out if all my mods works with the ma2.5.0, at least I got the welding to work witch was one of my priorities.

Hopefully this is what I'm looking for, I'm really glad you guys continued it for 0.25 :D

I'm having issue with the mod. The button would show up in the toolbar, clicking it brings up setting and "weld it" button, but nothing happens when I click "weld it", in fact it froze the view, I can't click any other button aside from the toolbar and the panel itself, move and/or select the part. It'll highlight the part as I mouse-over them but won't do a thing, until I click the weld button in the toolbar again to close the panel out and everything becomes normal again...

Anyone else having the same issue? Thoughts?

I should mention that I'm running the v.05

Thanks.

Edited by x_men

I'm having issue with the mod. The button would show up in the toolbar, clicking it brings up setting and "weld it" button, but nothing happens when I click "weld it", in fact it froze the view, I can't click any other button aside from the toolbar and the panel itself, move and/or select the part. It'll highlight the part as I mouse-over them but won't do a thing, until I click the weld button in the toolbar again to close the panel out and everything becomes normal again...

Anyone else having the same issue? Thoughts?

I should mention that I'm running the v.05

Thanks.

Nevermind I think I figured out why. I have interstellar, engineerredux and figaro GPS part on there, that's why it wasn't welding... specifically the Figaro GPS transmitter piece. Take that out and I'm able to weld right away.

I don't suppose there's a chance of that getting added to supported mod list? Sure it's not going to contribute to part count number but if I'm launching a cluster of 24 sats to another planet in 1 go, that's 24 less parts on the craft. It's low maintenance too, don't think it needed update since 0.23.5

What I discovered is that this mod seems to be incompatible with modulemanager2.5.1, I've removed it and I'm now using modulemanager2.5.0 (from interstellar).

Seems very strange for me - we tested it exactly with MM 2.5.1!

I don't suppose there's a chance of that getting added to supported mod list?

If I'm not mistaken, Alex actively uses Interstellar mod and has added a lot of improvements exactly for it... Perhaps he will be able to help you.

Anyway, gentlemens, can I ask both of you to download this build and enable "Advanced debug" in settings?

Then try to reproduce the problem and provide us KSP.log please.

By the way, when upgrading are you replaced all files (I hope so), or UbioWeldingLtd.dll only? Updating only of this file may be root of problems.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized you didn't upgraded mod but started from the scratch probably... Never mind.

Edited by girka2k
typo

Nevermind I think I figured out why. I have interstellar, engineerredux and figaro GPS part on there, that's why it wasn't welding... specifically the Figaro GPS transmitter piece. Take that out and I'm able to weld right away.

I don't suppose there's a chance of that getting added to supported mod list? Sure it's not going to contribute to part count number but if I'm launching a cluster of 24 sats to another planet in 1 go, that's 24 less parts on the craft. It's low maintenance too, don't think it needed update since 0.23.5

Do you use Interstellar or Interstellar Light? The parts from them differ slightly, but I never had problems welding my Interstellar parts.

Figaro GPS is a Mod I don't know, do you have a link?

so here is my issue. I'm working on a ship that has been in design for a loooong time, why you ask, due to design constraints. starting at over 20,000 plus pieces (have an amd 1100t black edition hexacore processor with 64gb of ram and 3 ati 7950's so no issues really). That's not counting any lights or other other superfluous things. it takes about 10 min in 64bit just to load the part. i have not successfully been able to launch the ship as every time i go to launch it everything laggs down to about 1 frame for every 2 seconds. i have the feeling im just at the upper limits of what the game can handle at all. try launching this ship without welding and even i can kiss an hour of my life goodby to loading and the crashing... its containing the large stock square surface(.... tons), huge orange tanks with LF and oxidizer, SAS, and monoprop fuel any idea?

Well, here is a test build.

I fixed rotation bug and bug with "invisible" large truss adapter from NearFuture.

I hope, bug with wrong rescaling of MK1 Structural Fuselage was fixed too, but I don't sure. Please, if someone can find time - weld everything that comes to hand, especially non-stock parts. If some models will have incorrect scale - enable "Advanced Debug" in welder settings, repeat welding and upload ksp.log somewhere or (even may be better) just provide .craft file.

Hey girka2k, I tried out you test build and it does indeed fix the 1 degree rotation bug. It was something I actually noticed immediately when I downloaded this and ran for the first time today. I'm working on a module for my massive STOCK space station that is primarily made of modular girders and takes up the entire rocket hangar, and due to it's extreme width, placing the XL solar panels near the edge of the structure, would actually not be physically connected to it, but they would move closer to the center of the girders the closer you get to the center of the structure. Anyhow, great job!!

Possible bug on your test build: Now the ignore massless objects function doesn't seem to ignore the struts anymore. I used it on the previous version with the 1 degree bug, and the struts were removed, but in this build, they're still present. Just FYI.

Hey girka2k, I tried out you test build and it does indeed fix the 1 degree rotation bug. It was something I actually noticed immediately when I downloaded this and ran for the first time today. I'm working on a module for my massive STOCK space station that is primarily made of modular girders and takes up the entire rocket hangar, and due to it's extreme width, placing the XL solar panels near the edge of the structure, would actually not be physically connected to it, but they would move closer to the center of the girders the closer you get to the center of the structure. Anyhow, great job!!

Possible bug on your test build: Now the ignore massless objects function doesn't seem to ignore the struts anymore. I used it on the previous version with the 1 degree bug, and the struts were removed, but in this build, they're still present. Just FYI.

Frankly, I didn't understand anything about panels, sorry. One or two screenshots (or .craft file) would help, I think.

About struts: on the one hand, I do not recall that they are automatically deleted before and on the other hand - I definitely don't remember if we changed something in this behavior... However may I ask you just out of curiosity, why do you need to weld the struts with the other parts, because they already have no effect on the strength after welding?

However, I like the idea to automatically remove the rope when welding, regardless of whether it is implemented before or not. It's worth a try to fix it or to make from the scratch .

so here is my issue. I'm working on a ship that has been in design for a loooong time, why you ask, due to design constraints. starting at over 20,000 plus pieces (have an amd 1100t black edition hexacore processor with 64gb of ram and 3 ati 7950's so no issues really). That's not counting any lights or other other superfluous things. it takes about 10 min in 64bit just to load the part. i have not successfully been able to launch the ship as every time i go to launch it everything laggs down to about 1 frame for every 2 seconds. i have the feeling im just at the upper limits of what the game can handle at all. try launching this ship without welding and even i can kiss an hour of my life goodby to loading and the crashing... its containing the large stock square surface(.... tons), huge orange tanks with LF and oxidizer, SAS, and monoprop fuel any idea?

Errr... And what is the question? ;)

Frankly, I didn't understand anything about panels, sorry. One or two screenshots (or .craft file) would help, I think.

About struts: on the one hand, I do not recall that they are automatically deleted before and on the other hand - I definitely don't remember if we changed something in this behavior... However may I ask you just out of curiosity, why do you need to weld the struts with the other parts, because they already have no effect on the strength after welding?

However, I like the idea to automatically remove the rope when welding, regardless of whether it is implemented before or not. It's worth a try to fix it or to make from the scratch .

Removal of Struts in welded parts sounds reasonable, I added them once for the look of the part, but in welded parts they are pretty much a waste of cpu performance.

Worth a try.

Actually, it was just a structure I'd built that had...millions...okay a few hundred struts on it for stability and strength(only way it would make it into orbit), and rather than remove all of them manually, the weld tool actually made the job easier, as it would ignore them in the import process. It's not a huge deal, as now I'm building parts with this weld tool in mind, so I don't include the struts anymore. It was just a time saver for some older stuff I'd made. Anyhow, I appreciate your work continuing the development of this mod, makes the game playable!! I was making a station that was made up of about 10 or so other modules, of nearly 1000+ parts each. Kerbal with 10K parts on screen is a slideshow.

Is this mod still being supported? I'm having some issues with parts being off center when I weld. Suggestions?
Craftfile please.

I'll join Alewx - additional information would have been relevant.

And may I ask you to mention which version of mod you used?

This mod is err... temporarily abandoned by it's author for now but is being supported by some volunteers. You'll find link to latest build in my signature.

Edited by girka2k
typo

Hello! I have just quite literally stumbled, totally by accident, on this mod. The premise is such a good idea. Some time ago, in the stock game, I had made a ISS semi-replica in about four different sections and, as expected, was rather heavy on the CPU. It wasn't terrible, but it was obviously under some strain. I have restarted the project in my modded build, where this time I have replicated each module, Zarya, Unity, Zvezda etc, and intend on launching them in the manner and order as their real life counterparts, as much as Kerbaly possible.

Which leads me to my first question. Would you recommend not including things like docking ports, lights, solar panels etc within the weld? I have skimmed the pages stating that placing too many interactive/functional objects within a welded section may make them inoperable.

Not only could be this be applied to stations, but some larger rockets and spaceplanes too. One example would be my Kerbalised Apollo craft, where the lander especially has a lot of intricate parts. Not only the various science apparatus, but a Infernal Robotics based 'mun buggy' deployment system, and of course, the buggy itself. I assume making smaller, welded sections, for the 'bulk' of the craft, and then add on the complex components separately, would be the best way to go about this?

My second question is as regards if any of the incompatibilities have been resolved in later versions. Mods such as B9, KW, FAR, Interstellar, and several others make up quite a popular catalogue that many players of KSP use. Have these been ironed out since 2.0? Or do some minor infractions remain?

I can see a hell of a lot of potential with this mod and I would love to be able to add it to my collection. If anyone in the know has the time to replay would would be great! Thanks! :)

Do you use Interstellar or Interstellar Light? The parts from them differ slightly, but I never had problems welding my Interstellar parts.

Figaro GPS is a Mod I don't know, do you have a link?

My apologies, I should have been clearer (end result of being up past midnight and working from 7am I suppose). Interstellar parts work fine, it was the Figaro GPS that wasn't playing nice.

Here's the link to Figaro GPS http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24646-0-23-5-Figaro-Global-Navigation-Satellite-System-Launch-a-Working-GPS-System . At the moment it's kind of useless, but I use it to land my seismic probe at the exact coordinates for maximum impact science. I also use the GPS network for communication relay, so even if it drifts after sometime I have more than enough relay for full coverage.

I have another issue though, not sure if it's part incompatibility anymore. Basically my probes appears as ... nothing in the map view. There's no probe icon to it, just the orbit line. It saves in quicksave but doesn't save in persistent. Going to spacecenter kills it, tracking station doesn't see it. This is LKO, I released the probe I'm carrying, switch between the 2 using [] key and that worked, but if I switch to my other probe in Minmus orbit, my craft disappears entirely again.

I used the Prodobododyne OKTO for the probe part, welded it with batteries, RCS thrusters, RCS tank, Interstellar's heatsink, B9's omni light, thermoelectric generator, engineerredux, remotetech's reflectron, all into 1 part. Then I throw in antennas, sonar panel, and Figaro transmitter and save my subassembly, that's my comm/GPS probe. I have a delivery vehicle which uses the same probe core, a bunch of strut cubes, batteries welded together. Then strap on solar panels, antenna, lights, fuel and engine. These 2 crafts met the same fate of not showing up on the map and not getting saved in persistent.

Both welded parts that has the probe core in there are saved in pods section.

Am I missing something?

I took a look at the cfg and found "vesselType = Probe" which is missing from the welded part's cfg, something I should add?

Adding the vesselType fixed it. Anything else I should add along with the vesselType?

Which leads me to my first question. Would you recommend not including things like docking ports, lights, solar panels etc within the weld? I have skimmed the pages stating that placing too many interactive/functional objects within a welded section may make them inoperable.

Not only could be this be applied to stations, but some larger rockets and spaceplanes too. One example would be my Kerbalised Apollo craft, where the lander especially has a lot of intricate parts. Not only the various science apparatus, but a Infernal Robotics based 'mun buggy' deployment system, and of course, the buggy itself. I assume making smaller, welded sections, for the 'bulk' of the craft, and then add on the complex components separately, would be the best way to go about this?

My second question is as regards if any of the incompatibilities have been resolved in later versions. Mods such as B9, KW, FAR, Interstellar, and several others make up quite a popular catalogue that many players of KSP use. Have these been ironed out since 2.0? Or do some minor infractions remain?

I can see a hell of a lot of potential with this mod and I would love to be able to add it to my collection. If anyone in the know has the time to replay would would be great! Thanks! :)

To the first question, YES we really do recommend to not include the named parts into the welding, or you can weld them in case it is just one of these parts, like Girka2k showed just a page ago.

To number two: we made a lot of improvements and changes to the latest version of the welding tool.

You can try out the version that is linked in the Signature of Girka2k, or wait a few more days, till we made it ready for "Beta than ever".

I added the ability to quite generically weld parts from any mods, and by a second config file you are able to modify the behavior for the welding of specific modules and values.

Thanks for the kind words, I just hope that Squad will sometime soon make the game perform a lot better so that 1000 parts are not such a bummer on the performance.

Edited by Alewx

My apologies, I should have been clearer (end result of being up past midnight and working from 7am I suppose). Interstellar parts work fine, it was the Figaro GPS that wasn't playing nice.

Here's the link to Figaro GPS http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24646-0-23-5-Figaro-Global-Navigation-Satellite-System-Launch-a-Working-GPS-System . At the moment it's kind of useless, but I use it to land my seismic probe at the exact coordinates for maximum impact science. I also use the GPS network for communication relay, so even if it drifts after sometime I have more than enough relay for full coverage.

I have another issue though, not sure if it's part incompatibility anymore. Basically my probes appears as ... nothing in the map view. There's no probe icon to it, just the orbit line. It saves in quicksave but doesn't save in persistent. Going to spacecenter kills it, tracking station doesn't see it. This is LKO, I released the probe I'm carrying, switch between the 2 using [] key and that worked, but if I switch to my other probe in Minmus orbit, my craft disappears entirely again.

I used the Prodobododyne OKTO for the probe part, welded it with batteries, RCS thrusters, RCS tank, Interstellar's heatsink, B9's omni light, thermoelectric generator, engineerredux, remotetech's reflectron, all into 1 part. Then I throw in antennas, sonar panel, and Figaro transmitter and save my subassembly, that's my comm/GPS probe. I have a delivery vehicle which uses the same probe core, a bunch of strut cubes, batteries welded together. Then strap on solar panels, antenna, lights, fuel and engine. These 2 crafts met the same fate of not showing up on the map and not getting saved in persistent.

Both welded parts that has the probe core in there are saved in pods section.

Am I missing something?

I took a quick look at the GPS parts and it looks like that the Transmitter is not having any particular module that is linked to its function. If the GPS Plugin is looking for dedicated Transmitter parts, then welding it into a craft will render it useless, but I have to try that myself to see what happens.

I took a look at the cfg and found "vesselType = Probe" which is missing from the welded part's cfg, something I should add?

The missing vesselType seems to be a bug from welding, I will look into it, there are a few things that still cause problems like engines.

Edited by Alewx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.