[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Because, like, welding is hard as balls.

It's really very simple if you focus on learning the system before trying to make something crazy. I taught myself to weld about three weeks ago by looking at .cfg files.

It took about three or four hours of tinkering to really get the hang of it, but it is an incredibly handy skill to have when dealing with... ahem... a 'slightly' unstable memory hog like KSP.

By the end of this week I will be posting a space station parts pack made entirely of stock parts, so it can't be all that difficult. Just commit to yourself to learning it.

I made this

2013-10-07_00011_zpsd2e62a54.jpg

Thanks to you man!

Awesome!!!! How many of them there is?

It's really very simple if you focus on learning the system before trying to make something crazy. I taught myself to weld about three weeks ago by looking at .cfg files.

It took about three or four hours of tinkering to really get the hang of it, but it is an incredibly handy skill to have when dealing with... ahem... a 'slightly' unstable memory hog like KSP.

By the end of this week I will be posting a space station parts pack made entirely of stock parts, so it can't be all that difficult. Just commit to yourself to learning it.

It is also really time consuming to get all the position value when you start having some strange stuff everywhere.

is there a way to weld the struts together ?

also a way to increase the size of the cubic attachement (or a cubic strut with 6 attachement points , same size / diameter than the normal struts ?

i envision strut parts like this (ascii coming)

. = nothing

x = strut

o = cubic strut piece

.x

xox

.x

and

xox

.x

and

xo

.x

thx in advance

is there a way to weld the struts together ?

If by struts you mean struct connector, I haven't look for it,and I don't see the point.

If you mean the girders or octogonal/cubic strut, then yes it is possible.

also a way to increase the size of the cubic attachement (or a cubic strut with 6 attachement points , same size / diameter than the normal struts ?

i envision strut parts like this (ascii coming)

. = nothing

x = strut

o = cubic strut piece

.x

xox

.x

and

xox

.x

and

xo

.x

thx in advance

You can definitely add more node to to the cubic strut (wont be possible with the plugin at the moment).

at the moment it got those two nodes

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

just add some side one

node_stack_sidex = 0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_sidemx = -0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_sidez = 0.0, 0.0, 0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0
node_stack_sidemz = 0.0, 0.0, -0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0

I haven't tried it, but that should make is have 6 stack nodes, one on each face.

Version 2.0 Playtest 1 is up and ready for download.

It is now an in game tool.

The GUI is not fully finished yet.

There are still some bug.

Do not weld Engine (they are not fully managed yet) or wing/control surface /parachutes (not managed as they use an old cfg format, pre .15 I think).

Welding parts that have the same MODULE{} node, can get some problems (it will raise a warning when I did not managed it yet), so back up your save before launching it.

Structural parts and resources tanks are quite safe to weld.

Read the OP post for more information and Enjoy. I can't wait to see what you guys are going to create with it.

Version 2.0 Playtest 1 is up and ready for download.

It is now an in game tool.

The GUI is not fully finished yet.

There are still some bug.

Do not weld Engine (they are not fully managed yet) or wing/control surface /parachutes (not managed as they use an old cfg format, pre .15 I think).

Welding parts that have the same MODULE{} node, can get some problems (it will raise a warning when I did not managed it yet), so back up your save before launching it.

Structural parts and resources tanks are quite safe to weld.

Read the OP post for more information and Enjoy. I can't wait to see what you guys are going to create with it.

Seriously??!! Finally an in game welding tool? I'm so gonna test this one out! Explosions, here I come!

For the last week or so, I've been playing with making my own welds manually and I'm very excited to see how this mod is going to play out in the long run. I've started a suggestion thread petitioning Squad to allow for a way to associate a MODULE{} with a specific model being loaded. This will get rid of most of the issues with part welding. I'm not sure it's polite to link other threads, so I'll only go so far to say it exists since it's relevant to the recent updated information in here and leave it at that.

Seriously??!! Finally an in game welding tool? I'm so gonna test this one out! Explosions, here I come!

Yes Seriously, still need some polish, but I thought I would still release it as it work great with structural parts and fuel tanks at the moment.

PROCEDURAL WELDING! :D

Once PWings, PFairings, PTanks, PColors and PWelding get polished, we may as well just abandon everything else. :P

Technicaly speaking it's not procedural. But we have the idea :)

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW YOU DID IT UBIOZUR! I CANT WAIT TO USE IT!!!

Thanks you (Be careful with reaction image).

Hey,an idea.

Can you add the ability to rescale parts ingame using this too (for the alternate radial CoT Sr. or just bigger parts)? I don't know enough about coding to know if that is impossible so if it is, feel free to say no.

I may not do it for each individual parts as it would be a pain to manage, but for the whole part, I think I will.

You can however easily edit the scale of the model in the cfg afterward.

For the last week or so, I've been playing with making my own welds manually and I'm very excited to see how this mod is going to play out in the long run. I've started a suggestion thread petitioning Squad to allow for a way to associate a MODULE{} with a specific model being loaded. This will get rid of most of the issues with part welding. I'm not sure it's polite to link other threads, so I'll only go so far to say it exists since it's relevant to the recent updated information in here and leave it at that.

The way it's managed in the code, it won't work. What could help, it's if instead of taking the first object of a name (for the animation/hatch etc..), browsing them and applying the module effect to each of them. If I find how it is managed ingame, I may try to create my own custom merge module to do that.

Very Awesome Sir. I hope you can iron out the bugs quickly so we can build a Halo around Kerbin.

Thanks, most bugs are mostly the fact that I need intensive trial for multiple similar module in the same parts.

I love you

Thanks

In game welding.

1 part space stations.

My god.

Once it supports engines, I will be able to construct MASSIVE JOOL FLEET SHIPS

Yay :D

Does it possibly have mod support sometime?

Read the first post.

I wont suggest one part station, however it is easy to have the framework of a station done, and then add the docking ports/lights/antenna/solarpanels to it. It should greatly reduce the part count. And you still have to send it up as weight is added.

The main thing I need for the engine, is to move the effect and merge the module. But then, what happen to the thrust if the engine points to different place?! (those are the case I need to look at).

As said, most mods should work, I won't support them, because If I have to verify if a new version is out, download the mod, test it. I will never play considering the amount of mods out there.

Well, I realized that, but It's drastically reduced probably... maybe 200 part stations become 30 part?

That yes, if most of the parts come from tanks and grider. I want to make a tutorial/showcase video. Also don't hesitate to share your crazy invention :)

This is a major achievement and one I have been eager to see for a while.

It works well so far, and apart from interactivity bugs the only thing I can see as a bug is the center of mass for the new parts is off.

My initial tests created exactly the combined parts I wanted, but I couldn't launch in a stable way because the 100 tonnes of parts had a COM about 50 meters above the actual part! It made for an entertaining launch, but not a part I can use yet.

I hope to see updates in the coming weeks, this is a real game improver!

It works well so far, and apart from interactivity bugs the only thing I can see as a bug is the center of mass for the new parts is off.

My initial tests created exactly the combined parts I wanted, but I couldn't launch in a stable way because the 100 tonnes of parts had a COM about 50 meters above the actual part! It made for an entertaining launch, but not a part I can use yet.

if you want to fix this manually youll have to edit the part weight so that the COM will drop. its a painful fix i know. :(

i think ubio will have a better insight than I. right now im going to get to work on a behemoth. will post with results soon!

Yeah you are right, I forgot to reinitialize a variable when I cleaned my code.

i will be fixed on the next update, I will try to make one soon (I have also fixed the description that couldn't be changed).

Bug report:

After welding and getting the OK confirmation screen, VAB becomes completely unresponsive. Unable to rotate or select parts. Buttons (launch, go to space center, etc) equally unresponsive. Welded part does show up, but if game is rebooted and part is selected, VAB becomes unresponsive again.

I dug this out of the outpug_lot.txt:

Mk1-2 Command Pod Part Loc: (0.1, 19.6, 0.0) Attach Loc: (0.1, 20.8, 0.0) Dist: 1.19319

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 1385)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost

Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 1385)

A similiar error repeats for every part that is welded.

I have tested on my usual game running many mods as well as a clean install running no mods but this one.

Bug report:

After welding and getting the OK confirmation screen, VAB becomes completely unresponsive. Unable to rotate or select parts. Buttons (launch, go to space center, etc) equally unresponsive. Welded part does show up, but if game is rebooted and part is selected, VAB becomes unresponsive again.

I dug this out of the outpug_lot.txt:

A similiar error repeats for every part that is welded.

I have tested on my usual game running many mods as well as a clean install running no mods but this one.

Have you tried to click on the part list, just like if you would like to delete a part (I do have that known issue after a successful weld).

After a successful weld, click on the part list to delete the selected part.

that log is just to says that the ksp window is not focus.

Edit: Added a docking port issue that have been reported. will try to fix it for next update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.