[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

is there any way to make multiple engine welds? I'm sure this has been asked. I been able to fix some of the stuff such as the correct ISP and all the .part issues. The only problem is that 1 of the 8 engines on the part has animations the others dont.

Hey now. Part welding works well for optimizing HSH. There's a bit of finesse in design and tricking to make it work well.

First thing: build in the SPH, save the craft, make a copy of the craft file and move the copy to the VAB folder. Let the VAB re align your craft and then weld.

Second: make sure your root part is free so you can plop it down the weld onto anything. That's more difficult than this other method- build your hull, weld it, then use it as your first part.

I understand the root part thing, but didn't know it didn't like the SPH.

Wheee, Welded parts time.

Okay, I tried welding HSH parts together again. Same issue as before, the parts are all set to default rotation or something. Ima try again.

EDIT: Tried again using the root part to weld. Now it works. However, if I try to move it all those nodes produce extreme lag. It also is noted cycling the airlock produces lag.

Edited by The Destroyer

Is it possible to weld station hub with multiple docking ports without losing docking ability? I tried to do this, but I can't dock to any port except the top one (see pic below).
What I do is weld all the "normal" parts (structural, fuel, etc.), then add the animated ones to the welded part.

Is it possible to weld station hub with multiple docking ports without losing docking ability? I tried to do this, but I can't dock to any port except the top one (see pic below).

http://i.imgur.com/M1uIMNT.jpg

The way the game manage where to dock is by having an invisible object with a name specified in the MODULE.

And of course all the game docking port have the same name for this object so it won't work very well.

Okay, I tried welding HSH parts together again. Same issue as before, the parts are all set to default rotation or something. Ima try again.

EDIT: Tried again using the root part to weld. Now it works. However, if I try to move it all those nodes produce extreme lag. It also is noted cycling the airlock produces lag.

You could edit the config file and delete all the node you don't need to reduce the lag.

all my ships went missing, what happened?

I welded 3 SLS tanks together, something quite simple in my eyes. and after leaving VAB, the game told me, how many things it couldn't load because of missing parts. okay, I went to R&D, and there I had to unlock at least 100 parts.

so I expedcted that after reloading, everything would be fine again, but... no, all ships and all kerbals went missing. I'd like to know where they are and how to get them back. especially ships without welds were affected.

I welded 3 SLS tanks together, something quite simple in my eyes. and after leaving VAB, the game told me, how many things it couldn't load because of missing parts. okay, I went to R&D, and there I had to unlock at least 100 parts.

so I expedcted that after reloading, everything would be fine again, but... no, all ships and all kerbals went missing. I'd like to know where they are and how to get them back. especially ships without welds were affected.

I get this problem all the time when I reload the database manually with the debug toolbar (alt-f12), however I usually only have a flight or two going on at the time so I haven't lost any ships and kerbals unless the reload fails in the middle. When I reload the db, I check out the science building in career mode and all the parts are sometimes duplicated, one set with pictures and one without and I can purchase all my parts again though I don't have to. Sometimes it goes away if I reload the database again, but usually I just overwrite the save with a backup and that cures it too. I don't know what causes it.

Hummm, maybe disable the reload of the database on the config file, and once you have done your weld, just restart the game to make it easier.

Are you using ModuleManager? I know there is problem with it since moduleManager does not work once the database is reloaded ingame.

yes, there are other mods which require module manager.

I had already several occasions where the techtree wanted me to unlock parts which I already have. but I never lost a ship because of that.

I reverted back to a quicksave from yesterday, so it's just the big 300t spacestation-core that went missing. and for security reason, I'll install kerbal alarmclock, because it autosaves every time I switch from spaceship to spaceship.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

I get this problem all the time when I reload the database manually with the debug toolbar (alt-f12), however I usually only have a flight or two going on at the time so I haven't lost any ships and kerbals unless the reload fails in the middle. When I reload the db, I check out the science building in career mode and all the parts are sometimes duplicated, one set with pictures and one without and I can purchase all my parts again though I don't have to. Sometimes it goes away if I reload the database again, but usually I just overwrite the save with a backup and that cures it too. I don't know what causes it.

I had that problem before, a tried every thing even restarting the game. But i foud two ways to fix it. 1) go to the gamedata folder and delete the wielded part, or 2) restart the computer. after I restarted the computer everything worked fine. The problem was that my laptop created a bug because it ran out of power for a minute with the game up. But once u restarted should be fine. Let me know how it worked.

Hummm, maybe disable the reload of the database on the config file, and once you have done your weld, just restart the game to make it easier.

Are you using ModuleManager? I know there is problem with it since moduleManager does not work once the database is reloaded ingame.

I had that problem before, a tried every thing even restarting the game. But i foud two ways to fix it. 1) go to the gamedata folder and delete the wielded part, or 2) restart the computer. after I restarted the computer everything worked fine. The problem was that my laptop created a bug because it ran out of power for a minute with the game up. But once u restarted should be fine. Let me know how it worked.

For the record, I do have modulemanager installed as well. It came with the KSOS mod. So if there's an issue with that causing problems on reloading of the database that certainly fits here. My gaming rig gets shutdown every time I'm done using it. I find it easier just to keep a backup of my good saves and when I get the urge to weld some parts, wreck the science list, revert to old copy, research new parts and continue on playing. Works fine so far.

okay, I have a workaround that is... not really good, but working.

1.) I copied my savegame, and opened this copy (this copy contained a savegame)

2.) I welded a part, and again, the system killed all missions, because tons of stock parts went un-researched.

3.) I reverted to the savegame, and everything was fine.

4.) when I opened my regular game, I had the welded part, without the problems with the techtree. it just worked.

so, welding parts is just a good idea if done inside a seperate careermode-savegame. this could offer a cheat-method, as the game offers all the parts in a single and quite early accessible node (advanced rocketry, where the FT-800 tank is). but honestly? if someone really wants to cheat in career, there are way easier ways to accomplish that... first of all: sandbox.

It's been a while since I last checked this thread. I'm wondering if I can get some help sorting this out.

So I'm trying (for the 2nd time) to make my Star Destroyer more playable using this mod and I attempted to weld some big parts.

In this example you can see the top fuselage part. The root of this part is the center beam in the nose tip and it's attached to the top of the small front truss

screenshot1_zpsb78dd136.png

So after welding it I was expecting that I could attach the part in the same way using the same root beam as an attachment point but instead I get this

screenshot0_zps0b7f050b.png

A random spot in the middle of the fuselage is used as an attachment. I tried following this advice on page 63...

Its actually not that much work. The nodes for the root part typically get placed at very the top of the list making it easy to find and move them to the bottom.

That states that the part that is listed in the bottom of the list in the config file is the one used as attachment point. Apparently it had no effect whatsoever.

Is there a way around this or do these parts have too complex attachment points for the mod?

It's been a while since I last checked this thread. I'm wondering if I can get some help sorting this out.

So I'm trying (for the 2nd time) to make my Star Destroyer more playable using this mod and I attempted to weld some big parts.

In this example you can see the top fuselage part. The root of this part is the center beam in the nose tip and it's attached to the top of the small front truss

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y308/Domanating1/screenshot1_zpsb78dd136.png

So after welding it I was expecting that I could attach the part in the same way using the same root beam as an attachment point but instead I get this

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y308/Domanating1/screenshot0_zps0b7f050b.png

A random spot in the middle of the fuselage is used as an attachment. I tried following this advice on page 63...

That states that the part that is listed in the bottom of the list in the config file is the one used as attachment point. Apparently it had no effect whatsoever.

Is there a way around this or do these parts have too complex attachment points for the mod?

If I understand you right, you're trying to surface attach this part to your other parts from the front where it comes to a point? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the origin of the welded part config is by default used when you select the part from the list in VAB. Can you place it on your ship as is and then click on the beam at the front to move it and surface attach it that way or is it locking you onto a specific node point?

It's possible that having that many node in one part make the part hard to attach, try to delete all the node but the one you need. (make a backup)

It could make it easier.

since KSP now cares about node sizes (large node = strong joints), how about a way to change the node size. because I already made welded parts with things that have just small nodes (because it's a very short 2,5m part, or because the modder didn't pay attention (if there are mod-parts to weld)). by editing node sizes inside the VAB/SPH, there would be awesome now things possible, without changing too much on this mod.

If I understand you right, you're trying to surface attach this part to your other parts from the front where it comes to a point? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the origin of the welded part config is by default used when you select the part from the list in VAB. Can you place it on your ship as is and then click on the beam at the front to move it and surface attach it that way or is it locking you onto a specific node point?

Already tried it but when I try to click on the node/part I want as root it defaults back to a random place in the center of the welded part

It's possible that having that many node in one part make the part hard to attach, try to delete all the node but the one you need. (make a backup)

It could make it easier.

Ok I deleted all nodes except the one I want but still no go. There's still a phantom node in the center of the part that forces me to attach there.

This happens to all my welded parts (Top and bottom fuselages and the ship's tower)

screenshot2.png

EDIT:

Ok I got a breakthrough. So I failed to notice the "node_attach" line in the config and by copying the the root node into that line I can finally attach where I want.

node_stack_bottomstructuralIBeam20 = -18.49584,0.05447444,0.704389,1,0,0,0
node_attach = -18.49584,0.05447444,0.704389,1,0,0,0

Unfortunately yet another problem surfaced. I'm now unable to align the top fuselage with the rest of the ship. I tried different angle snaps and free angle but no joy... Any possible workaround this issue?

Semtiacutetulo.jpg

Edited by DauntingFlyer

Already tried it but when I try to click on the node/part I want as root it defaults back to a random place in the center of the welded part

Ok I deleted all nodes except the one I want but still no go. There's still a phantom node in the center of the part that forces me to attach there.

This happens to all my welded parts (Top and bottom fuselages and the ship's tower)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/domanating/screenshot2.png

EDIT:

Ok I got a breakthrough. So I failed to notice the "node_attach" line in the config and by copying the the root node into that line I can finally attach where I want.

node_stack_bottomstructuralIBeam20 = -18.49584,0.05447444,0.704389,1,0,0,0
node_attach = -18.49584,0.05447444,0.704389,1,0,0,0

Unfortunately yet another problem surfaced. I'm now unable to align the top fuselage with the rest of the ship. I tried different angle snaps and free angle but no joy... Any possible workaround this issue?

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/domanating/Semtiacutetulo.jpg

Try rotating your assembly so it's vertical (nose up or down) and see if it'll allow you to align it properly that way. You can rotate it back after attached.

I didn't expect to make a difference but actually it makes it even worse :(

Haha, sorry man. I'm not hitting anything with this one. I'm guessing the xyz's of the sum of all the welded parts are not centered. The VAB has a few quirks when it comes to attaching things to asymmetrical parts. For instance, I'm assuming the center beam where all your panels are attached is supposed to be the center of your part, but the X value of the node point from your last post is -18.49584 which leads me to believe it is not centered. Maybe try welding it again until you get a zero or near zero (number that ends with an E) for the X position of your centered node point and see if that corrects the problem. Probably wouldn't hurt to check if your other parts aren't centered.

Not to be too much of a bother, but I've receantly instaled and updated the .dll file. It seems that it only works in sandbox mode and not in carrer mode. I've tried to start a new save in carrer if that was the issue, but it wasn't. I'm wandering if it's something on my end or is that universal and if it's going to be fixed in the near future.

Not to be too much of a bother, but I've receantly instaled and updated the .dll file. It seems that it only works in sandbox mode and not in carrer mode. I've tried to start a new save in carrer if that was the issue, but it wasn't. I'm wandering if it's something on my end or is that universal and if it's going to be fixed in the near future.
You can fix that by editing the output part.cfg file. Figure out where in the tech tree you want it to appear. Open another part from that node, then copy the appropriate line into your new part. The lines you want look like this:

TechRequired = actuators
entryCost = 5200

Haha, sorry man. I'm not hitting anything with this one. I'm guessing the xyz's of the sum of all the welded parts are not centered. The VAB has a few quirks when it comes to attaching things to asymmetrical parts. For instance, I'm assuming the center beam where all your panels are attached is supposed to be the center of your part, but the X value of the node point from your last post is -18.49584 which leads me to believe it is not centered. Maybe try welding it again until you get a zero or near zero (number that ends with an E) for the X position of your centered node point and see if that corrects the problem. Probably wouldn't hurt to check if your other parts aren't centered.

Solved! It's obvious why you and I failed to understand it. Because it wasn't a problem of this mod after all! :confused:

This Star Destroyer was built in version 0.23. Instead of building it again from scratch in V.0.23.5, I decided to empty the insides and save the fuselage, the most time consuming part of the build, and move it to the new version. I failed to realize that the odd misalignment happened also to the unwelded parts. Turns out I just needed to mess with some of the parts first so that everything snaped into place properly.

In this case I just simply needed to select the part where the fuselage was attached to (small front truss), attach it to the frame again and then attach the fuselage parts.

Cheers for the help. Let's hope I don't find any more surprises

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.