Major Proton launch failure

Kryten

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQAnM-1Ch8Y

This is breaking, I actually just watched it happen on Roscosmos' livefeed. We're not even sure there aren't casualties yet; it came down close to the pad and has extremely nasty propellants. Just terrible...

Edited by Kryten

DAMN YOU ASAS!

Um, I mean, hope nobody was hurt. That visible stream from one side made me think engine failure at first, but it almost looks like it's coming from between two of the side-mounted UDMH tanks and the color is consistent with N2O4, which is stored in the central body. I'm starting to think that's a secondary consequence of a failure that started right at launch -- it looks to me like the rocket is beginning to yaw even as it leaves the first camera's field of view. I don't see how a pure guidance failure would damage a tank that quickly, so my wild-ass guess is something went sideways with an engine's gimbal or support structure and the guidance system went crazy trying to correct for it.

edit: I'm now reading references to a normal nitrogen tetroxide purge that happens soon after launch, so that plume may be entirely unrelated to the failure. In that case, I'll just blame ASAS.

Edited by Bunsen

Russia Today is reporting a "nuclear fuel" leak.

http://rt.com/news/proton-m-rocket-takeoff-crash-514/

Probably a typo, but if not, this may end up going to hell in a handbasket really quickly.

It does have cesium clocks for the three Global Navigation Satellites it was carrying.

I don't imagine they hold a lot of it thought.

It does have cesium clocks for the three Global Navigation Satellites it was carrying.

I don't imagine they hold a lot of it thought.

Those use cesium-133, which is stable. Atomic clocks are based on microwave-frequency transitions of nuclear spin states, not on nuclear reactions or decay. I can't imagine any reason there would be nuclear material on board that rocket, so I'm chalking that up to RT's usual standard of reporting.

From the video, looks like one of the boosters failed / had a leak.

Just before it burst into flames, there was a shot of the engines; all six were definitely still thrusting.

We now have reports that glonass-m satellites contain RTGs for backup power.

False alarm, sorry everyone, only first-gen glonass sats have it, not the -m models on this launch.

Edited by Kryten

We now have reports that glonass-m satellites contain RTGs for backup power.

:0.0:

Why the hell would... I guess the old Soviet "NEEDS MOAR RADIOISOTOPES" design philosophy is still going strong?

Edit: Just read Kryten's edited post. Heh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.