Old 0.20 save debate: Please close, mods.

Naten

Trying to make a space program work with Mission Controller mod is quite time consuming, so I would hope to continue it after the update. I expect that carrying over the files from the mod folder itself to the new install will do the trick.

For anything else, even if the saves are not compatible, I would access the persistence file of the previous save and copy over craft in flight information to the new save to keep anything that was particularly troublesome to get in place. I only ever bothered to do it with a modular minmus base.. and only once, so started fresh in the most recent version.

If I really need to revisit past creations then I think I`m happy enough to load up the older version of KSP and play around with it, or challenge myself to recreate and even improve on past creations in the recent versions, and don`t particularly mind if saves get broken

I believe the only things that won't be able to continue are land bases (like from 0.19 to 0.20), this is just speculation based on the last weekly that said something about an art pass for the planets.

One thing to look out for is that with the SAS changes, it is possible that rotpower will be reduced/removed from capsules/probes, so you may find your old craft very slow or even impossible to maneuver (I, for one, haven't used SAS in ages because it's just a bit useless atm).

Even then, I'm thrilled about the new changes. I don't have many major orbital constructions, just lots of individual craft. And I get to keep what I learned in the process of making all of them.

Whenever an update comes out I uninstall and remove all mods and go back to stock for a while. I used to create a new save just about every other day. This current save I have now I've had for a couple weeks now. It's got real satellites everywhere with Kethane refining at the Mun. I've learned the most from this save, but when the time comes, I'll be able to put it all to practice again when .21 comes out.

One other thing to consider, the saves are simple text files. You can often hand edit them to make them compatible or someone could make a converter if it's too hard to do by hand. So it's not the end of the world, it just requires preparation and patience.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I think the new SAS/ASAS features will most definetly break saves; as every command pod uses SAS torque, and it's being completely revamped, I see it is going to break saves.

not necessarily. The vehicle may well behave different, but as long as the parts are called the same, and have the same size and attachment points, they'll look identical in the safe and craft files.

That's how the LAZOR docking cam can replace docking ports in existing vehicles already in orbit, it does an inline replacement of the behaviour of the existing docking port rather than introducing a new part.

If they don't guarantee backwards compatibility, why did they change the Mun back to the way it was before 0.20?

ever consider that the changes to the Mun in 0.20.0 may have been unintentional, aka bugs?

inb4 .21 comes out on July 4th.

Somebody sig this for when it happens.

It can't. They asked for beta testers probably for 0.21 and onward. I just don't see why it would come tomorrow, it's much sooner than it should.

It can't. They asked for beta testers probably for 0.21 and onward. I just don't see why it would come tomorrow, it's much sooner than it should.

It can.

They asked for more testers. They asked for testers several updates ago. This is not the first time. Plus them being in Mexico... means the 4th has no special significance to them... well some of them. Are there any Americans on the Dev team... I thought there was one but everyone else was not. I could be wrong.

The last update came out of the testing phase in mere days. This one is a bit bigger... and has taken a week so far. My point it we can't predict when it will come out. It could be now. or now. or now... or next week... or next month.

This is why I don't use KSP on Steam, at least not for now, it makes me worry too much lol. I always always always keep an archive of my old games. I have a folder under my Kerbal Space Program folder named: "KSP Archive: Old versions frozen in time" where basically, whenever a new version comes out, I stop whatever version I'm working on and just put it in the archive.

...I never copy my saves over anyhow, though... So this is basically useless.. Anyhow, a good habit to get into.

I just turn automatic updates for KSP off (using steam) and when I'm reading to update I make of copy of the KSP file from steam into a .zip folder, then turn automatic updates on, let it download, turn automatic updates off, update my mods if needed.

As much as I would agree that having good backups can save you from regretting updating, I would add this bit of advice: After a while, if you are OK with the new version, get rid of a old backup. Considering that the game is in... alpha, I think(dunno, new here and still learning the game and whatnot), you might have a issue with keeping all your old backups and not doing housekeeping to get rid of ones you no longer use. I once had to get rid of several gigs of old minecraft installs and mods because I was just a *bit* too careful and kept literally everything I had downloaded for minecraft. And I kept working installs with mods saved in a even safer place for some stupid reason.

My point is you should not hoard your old editions and old mods/installs. Eventually, you need to let them die to get space for new installs and mods/editions. Honestly, I'd want to find a way to make a rotation of installs where it automatically keeps, say, 5 versions of the game, and 3 installs for each one(plus vanilla). If a update is released and I install it, then it purges the oldest version of the game I had, mods, installs, everything from that version, unless I make a manual backup. I'd want to do this, but I honestly doubt I'd be bothered nearly as much as I was back when I played minecraft alpha. I'm not going to keep saves, installs, or even editions of the game, but I'll update at my own pace.

That being said, unless Squad has some fireworks as part of the next update, I wouldn't update tomorrow.

.20 broke my .19

They've said that they are trying to make it so updates don't break saves. But with so many mods out there... they can't be certain.

I had an old mod installed that I forgot about since I didn't use it... So when .20 came out I opened up my game and none of the stock parts were loaded. I went to the tracking station... BIG mistake. since none of the stock parts were loaded... going to the tracking station deleted all my ships... I couldn't get .20 to work properly until I deleted the old mod. Then all the stock parts were loaded... but my missions were all gone...

So they try... but they can't foresee everything.

Well technically your mod broke the game. I think they test only stock 0.20->0.21 not with mods.

Actually, technically they broke the mods, and the broken mods broke the saves.

I lost two flights in progress when 0.20 came out because they were using parts from a mod, and the parts wouldn't load in.

The way it happened really whizzed me off and put me off KSP for awhile. I sent a new craft to the launch pad, and it informs me, on the pad, that it's unloaded two craft for missing parts. No prompt, no warning, nothing. Getting the parts to load in was an easy .cfg hack (it didn't make the mod work but it would've prevented the ships getting unloaded, and they could've sat until KAS was fixed), but it auto-saved AFTER unloading the craft.

I *still* haven't gotten back to the point I was at when it happened, because I'm getting tired of redoing the same few things over and over.

Broken brokens broke the broken brokens that were broken by broken broken brokens broken by the brokens broken broken broken :confused:

This is all I see. XD

It can.

Are there any Americans on the Dev team... I thought there was one but everyone else was not. I could be wrong.

Chad (C7), Rob (N3X15), Claira (ClairaLyrae) and myself are all Americans. Our new corporate PR guy is also US based. Mike (Mu) is from the UK, Artyom (Bac9) is from Russia, and Jim (Romfarer) is from Norway. We have a pretty good international team here. :)

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Edited by Capt'n Skunky

Would you have an idea whether or not the new version will break the saves? If you have the time and don't know, might you ask a game dev? I'd think you see them often, seeing you're the community manager.

Would you have an idea whether or not the new version will break the saves? If you have the time and don't know, might you ask a game dev? I'd think you see them often, seeing you're the community manager.

I believe I already answered that question in this thread.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager