Old 0.20 save debate: Please close, mods.

Naten

Just out of curiosity, how does a team like that even get together in the first place?

Because a lot of them started off making mods for KSP, as I recall...

I think he means "how do they effectively communicate if they're so spread out" not how they got hired.

Online collaboration is incredibly easy these days. At work, I have teammates spread over half the planet. We have no trouble sharing ideas or code. A friend of mine and I have been writing novels together for the past seven years, and she's 2,000 miles away.

I think he means "how do they effectively communicate if they're so spread out" not how they got hired.

No, Tiron had it. I didn't realize many were former modders. I have friends from all over the place thanks to the internets. :)

I continue to marvel at how attached people are to their current saves.

The game is an alpha. We are lab rats. The mods are done by unpaid 3rd parties as they have time available and depending on their enthusiasm level. Under these conditions, it's totally unreasonable to expect ANY sort of continuity.

Be thankful the game, even in this state, works as well as it does. Be thankful for the entertainment it gives you. And file everything you learn away for when the game reaches an essentially stable condition however far in the future that takes. But don't sweat it if everything you've built comes crashing down at the next update. And whatever you do, DO NOT whine about it. What part of "alpha" do you not understand?

Like I said above, take this opportunity to destroy all your creations in a spectacular fashion. Create an alien invasion fleet that obliterates all your constructs. Contemplate on how the Emperor Vespasian had a slave always whispering in his ear, "Remember, thou art mortal." Then start over from scratch after the update, older and wiser.

You are very wise. I am not really worried about it, I would be happy to have an excus--um, I mean...reason to..um...blow u--detonate in a safe(ish) fashion the debri--spacecraft that are moving about.

I don't really care, really, I love a fresh start.

This is more of a discussion on whether or not to work for a bit and lose it very fast from the next update. Thanks, though.

While we've been able to maintain compatibility over the last couple of updates, unfortunately this one isn't such a case. The new crew management system changed the format for saving crews (to something much better), and the new format isn't compatible with the old version. Instead of risking breaking things even more by writing some sort of upgrade logic, we decided it was better to just break compatiblity and start fresh.

This also gives us a nice opportunity to do other tweaks that we can't usually do, exactly because they tend to break saves. Because we're going to break it anyway, we can push in a lot of other little tweaks that wouldn't have gone in otherwise, so hopefully they will make it worthwhile.

You can always manually edit your save so it matches the new format, but that can cause other issues, so we really don't recommend it.

Stay tuned for a dev blog soon about new things that we got to add because we decided to break compatiblity. ;)

Cheers

very very interesting. I've been holding off doing anything significant during .20 because... well I'm really waiting for resources. And this just adds another reason.

I've been designing ... and testing things in LKO... making plans... for the future.

Well, at least I have all these station modules built and ready for launch, no reason to keep docking the damn things... Thanks for the notification!

Ah. Oh, well - looks like Space Research Bureau will start it's activities from scratch after Shockwave No. 0.21 arrives :rolleyes: Good thing i haven't built Duna Base yet, have only one space station around Kerbin and most of my flights to Jool, Dres and Eeloo are unkerballed.

...Well poo. I'm tired of remapping everything...I've mapped kerbin like six times and the mun like five, and if I lose those too, I may just quit bothering with KSP for quite some time. Having to redo the same things over and over and over is frustrating enough...

As long as Kethane compatibility survives it won't be AS bad... ISA mapping takes long enough, but at least you can use higher orbits to speed it up. Kethane...even with the hexes you still have to use a low tight one that takes forever, even time accelerated.

I'm never gonna get to Jool at this rate.

Edited by Tiron

Kind of happy about this. I was getting a little too varied and unfocused with my missions, started something but didn't finish it because I was thinking of something else. I ended up with a lot of supposedly temporary ships in orbit, time for a fresh start!

While we've been able to maintain compatibility over the last couple of updates, unfortunately this one isn't such a case. The new crew management system changed the format for saving crews (to something much better), and the new format isn't compatible with the old version. Instead of risking breaking things even more by writing some sort of upgrade logic, we decided it was better to just break compatiblity and start fresh.

This also gives us a nice opportunity to do other tweaks that we can't usually do, exactly because they tend to break saves. Because we're going to break it anyway, we can push in a lot of other little tweaks that wouldn't have gone in otherwise, so hopefully they will make it worthwhile.

It always cheers me up when I hear stuff like this. It reassures me the dev team still have their priorities straight and aren't held captive by their audience. Occasionally happens with indies, it seems.

So what exactly will happen to our saves? Will they not even appear? Or will I simply find come .21 that all my ships are deserted and cannot be controlled? I mean... Hell worst comes to worst I can just build all my craft in the VAB and hyperedit everything back to the way it was..no? I just want my Mun base and space station.

It always cheers me up when I hear stuff like this. It reassures me the dev team still have their priorities straight and aren't held captive by their audience. Occasionally happens with indies, it seems.

Well they already said awhile ago they were going to do updates that way, push compatibility breaking stuff back and then do it all at once in a single patch.

It's just bloody depressing to have to redo the same things over and over and over...it takes longer to get it done each time because you're less interested in doing it, and thus avoid it. I'm already at the point where I'm so tired of remapping kerbin, the mun, and minmus that I've barely gotten anything done at all this time around.

In 0.19 I'd mapped Duna, Ika, and Eve for the first time ever, and had a Duna mission in progress that I unexpectedly lost when 0.20 unexpectedly broke my save, so I started over. Again.

I've never been in the SoIs of Jool, Dres, Eeloo, or Gilly, because I end up stuck back in the Kerbin SoI mapping again every time compatibility breaks.

For a completionist like me, having to start over, and over, and over, and over is just depressing and makes me not want to play the game. So I've gotten far less done in 0.20 than I have in any other version since I bought the game...and I'm not going to be doing any more in it at least until more info comes out. If I can salvage my maps I've JUST made, it won't be so bad, because I don't really have any missions in progress I care about all that much. If I can't, I'll probably stop playing KSP for some time to come out of the desire to not get stuck remapping again for the umpteenth time.

Edit:

But what do you suppose the odds are that they're not gonna mess with any of the terrain or anomalies on a compatibility breaking save?

I don't WANT to map the mun again! I just finished it yesterday! AGAIN!

I was in the middle of finishing up Minmus when I read this post and closed the game.

Edited by Tiron

So what exactly will happen to our saves? Will they not even appear? Or will I simply find come .21 that all my ships are deserted and cannot be controlled? I mean... Hell worst comes to worst I can just build all my craft in the VAB and hyperedit everything back to the way it was..no? I just want my Mun base and space station.

Not sure. Craft might or might not still work, since 'still working' is semi-independent of if the .craft file loads. They might change something that makes it no longer able to function correctly without being reconfigured (IE: When they fixed the bug with fuel use while throttled down).

Not sure. Craft might or might not still work, since 'still working' is semi-independent of if the .craft file loads. They might change something that makes it no longer able to function correctly without being reconfigured (IE: When they fixed the bug with fuel use while throttled down).

No I mean just rebuilding my craft rom scratch with the new parts. Then sending them back where they were via hyper edit. And the same goes to your mapping probes. Build them, cheat them back to where they were then move on as if nothing ever happened ( and delete hyperedit )