Old 0.20 save debate: Please close, mods.

Naten

Right now i am prepping my important craft files for the shift to .21 (removing mods from them) And i have finishing delivering crew to my space station, then i will joke around with a billion mods until 0.21 comes out.

I'm a software dev myself (I hate to start a post like this) and I think save games shouldn't break. Once the game is released (1.0) Squad will need a way to migrate save games to new formats anyway. It's very unlikely the save game format will be stay unchanged forever.

It can't be impossible to migrate the save games to the new format. It's just something that one dev has to implement. A save game migrating workflow will definitely be needed in the future. Start a kickstarter or something for it and I'll pay. I know that dev time isn't a free resource.

Squad, don't break our sandbox projects. You know the format of the save games. Just spend the hours/days to write a converter. It's summer for a lot of people anyways so we should be able to wait a few more days for an update (while doing some outdoor activities). Or just release the save game format specs and someone in the community will write a converter.

I imagine that a lot of players spent a lot of hours or even days on projects. Do you really want to ruin every large scale mission until 1.0?

Or just release the save game format specs and someone in the community will write a converter.

Um, the saves are text files, and are very self-explanatory. People hand edit them all the time. They don't need to spend time writing specs -- the only thing that needs to happen for a converter is for somebody in the community to actually write it.

Um, the saves are text files, and are very self-explanatory. People hand edit them all the time. They don't need to spend time writing specs -- the only thing that needs to happen for a converter is for somebody in the community to actually write it.

I agree. Specs or a change log will just speed up things.

I imagine that a lot of players spent a lot of hours or even days on projects. Do you really want to ruin every large scale mission until 1.0?

There is plenty of time between these big game breaking updates. Wrap up your big projects in the weeks we have left.

I'm a software dev myself (I hate to start a post like this) and I think save games shouldn't break. Once the game is released (1.0) Squad will need a way to migrate save games to new formats anyway. It's very unlikely the save game format will be stay unchanged forever.

Well i'm a software dev too, and the problem isn't one of converting the file. That can be done, and Harv said they considered that. They chose not to, and I would say it is for several reasons. Some that I can think of are...

a) It would set a precedent that new alpha versions will always be backward compatible, which will not always be possible

B) Anything Squad provides, it would be responsible for. So people will hold them accountable for conversion issues which have nothing to do with the actual conversion

c) Conversion does not mean everything will be fine and dandy in .21. Expect the new Mun heightmaps to return (so landed crafts will be underground again). Any craft without a power supply will not have pod torque, since that requires power now.

d) The community will have a converter made soon after release anyhow. Probably several, within days.

Just spend the hours/days to write a converter.
I'd prefer they kept working on new features and bug fixes. Aspects of the software are going to be revised multiple times as development progresses, and it seems like a waste of time to me to convert, re-convert, and re-re-convert old code every time.

I fail to see the utility of a thread just to annouce something that people that were looking at the post where Harv said it know already.

Because tl;dr. Some people don't notice something unless it is duct taped to their faces. Which is why there's probably going to be a thread talking about this thread.

I presume he ment releasing those specs before 0.21 is released, so somebody can already get working on that.

This is going to be great for me. I took a lot of time since the last update to learn so much. My first interplanetary successful mission, learning how to travel interplanetary, piecing together a Mun Station and Mun Base (previously only attempted a station around Kerbin). I've learned more in the last update than I ever had since I bought the game.

I fail to see the utility of a thread just to annouce something that people that were looking at the post where Harv said it know already.

You do realize the thread started out asking about breaking saves. HarvesteR replied and the OP changed the first post and title.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Skunky is correct. I am the OP, and I changed it once HarvesteR replied.

Frankly, I think this is exactly what discourages the dev's from participating in the forums. HarvesterR was very kind to answer your question and then you change the headline to try and get more attention.

Nevermind the fact that... KSP is in development, things are going to change... people want updates sooner and people don't want updates to break saves. Something has to give; you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

I do give the dev's credit for trying to clump save breaking changes together into single updates, rather than breaking saves with every update.